Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Please, tell us how you would have done it.

aBagorn posted:

So that we can have these scenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lucas is by far far far a better artist than JJ Abrams. But JJ has def made an exciting and entertaining SW movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hoopaloops posted:

How badly hurt is Kylo Ren at the end of the film? We definitely saw Rey slash his cloak, poke a hole through his shoulder, and slash across his face, not to mention Chewie's bowcaster bolt in his side. Did Rey also chop off his hand? Minimally we saw his lightsabre fall away from his hand - could be a good parallel to Vader if he gets a few mechanical limbs before the next film.

I don't believe so. When he went down, my wife said she was pretty sure he just lost a hand, so I started really looking for it, and I could pretty clearly see outlines of both of his hands. You know...still attached.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

euphronius posted:

Lucas' ex-wife is by far far far a better artist than JJ Abrams. But JJ has def made an exciting and entertaining SW movie.

You forgot a word.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Danger posted:

People bending over backwards to nitpick Rey's character in comparison to Luke's, when they are beat for beat the same, is great.

Can we just make sure this post gets quoted at least once per page? Because hot drat is it spot on.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
The movie was two hours and fifteen minutes. Where were they going to put all this slow travel stuff? It wasn't like any of the fights were super long either.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
OT Lucas had a significant amount of advisers, production input, and general hand-holding; it is a gross mistake to give him total credit for the outcome. He didn't even direct the best movie in the OT.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

ANH also had a lot more exposition about the universe to pack in. The audience for TFA don't need the force or sabers or whatever explained to them. There was a decent bit of chat with Han, Finn and Rey on the Falcon anyway.
The pacing was quick, but I think it did well at doing exposition quickly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh for fucks sake. I forgot that now GL is capable of nothing.

The PT are more artfully done than tfa anyways. Tfa way more entertaining tho obviously.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Cyclomatic posted:

The movie was two hours and fifteen minutes. Where were they going to put all this slow travel stuff? It wasn't like any of the fights were super long either.

If I put my amateur director hat on I'd cut the whole action sequence when we first see Han and let the movie breathe a little there

But its whatever

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The action sequence was highly important tho so you'd have to get Rey and Finn in danger sometime else before they get to Maz Tanaka or whatever her name is.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Do any of the tie-in books or comics explain why C3PO's arm is now red, or was it written in solely for the best line in the movie?

A comic coming February 24th explains it

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Special:_C-3PO_1

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

thrawn527 posted:

I don't believe so. When he went down, my wife said she was pretty sure he just lost a hand, so I started really looking for it, and I could pretty clearly see outlines of both of his hands. You know...still attached.

He still had all his limbs attached. I like how they made lightsabers less powerful but way more threatening. Like, in the ot and pt getting touched by one meant an instant defeat, but here you had characters getting slashed and stabbed and still keeping on and made for a more exciting duel since there were actual stakes.

Also I bet that Luke won't say I'm your father, it'll be Rey either saying you're my father or I'm your daughter.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

euphronius posted:

The action sequence was highly important tho so you'd have to get Rey and Finn in danger sometime else before they get to Maz Tanaka or whatever her name is.

The rolling balls of squid teeth monsters were the only part of the film that felt very "un-Star Wars", and it was basically a sequence out of a JJTrek film.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

euphronius posted:

The PT are more artfully done than tfa anyways. Tfa way more entertaining tho obviously.

Hey now be kind- he's had 3 loving decades of straight hero worship and scourging depending on whose opinion you ask. It's not out of left field to remind people that young and unproven GL didn't single-handedly roll the boulder uphill himself.

I mean look at his edits of the OT when he had access to CGI. How do we know that almost every single impressive practical effect wasn't the poor dude running the rig saying "no George, we gotta do the shot like /this/ because of XYZ limitations," he went out of his way to eliminate a lot of the charming practical effects on his second pass.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Cyclomatic posted:

Honestly, I felt like the movie could have used fewer action beats. It felt almost relentless in its eagerness to get to the next set piece. Space them out with some more exposition and character building in between them, the way the original trilogy did.

Also, this movie was loving gorgeous. Whoever thinks J. J. Abrams can't artfully compose shots just plain wasn't paying attention.

EDIT: Also, in retrospect I find I really enjoyed the lightsaber fight choreography in this movie. It felt more real and visceral and less stylized and flourishy than the prequel fights, which got so bizarrely overwrought that it killed any actual tension.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 22, 2015

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

euphronius posted:

Your gonna have to elaborate on that more Artfully done...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well they were building the characters IN the action pieces so it was at least efficient in that regard.

Yeah I personally would have liked a slower movie but fast fast fast also worked and I guess didn't give you time to think about how a hyperspace laser could be simultaneously seen from different parts of the Galaxy.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

euphronius posted:

Well they were building the characters IN the action pieces so it was at least efficient in that regard.

Yeah I personally would have liked a slower movie but fast fast fast also worked and I guess didn't give you time to think about how a hyperspace laser could be simultaneously seen from different parts of the Galaxy.

Probably the same way that the whole galaxy knew to coordinate their danceparty raves when Palpatine was killed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Viller posted:

Your gonna have to elaborate on that more Artfully done...

Gonna have to wait for the blue ray but from my memory I did not think that tfa showed as much artistry in things like composition and lighting and sets as the pt and the ot. Mostly though shot composition. But to be fair Lucas is a master at that.

I reserve the right to change my opinion after getting the blue ray.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Umm, one thing that is 100% clear from the movies is that stormtrooper armor does nothing to stop a blaster. In fact all the evidence points to it being way worse than nothing. Plenty of people survive blaster shots in the movies. I don't think they ever were wearing stormtrooper armor.

This is made really explicitly clear. Remember when Finn and Rey were talking about poisoning the intruders? Finn points out that the masks they wear don't even protect against gas. They are lovely armor.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

euphronius posted:

Gonna have to wait for the blue ray but from my memory I did not think that tfa showed as much artistry in things like composition and lighting and sets as the pt and the ot. Mostly though shot composition. But to be fair Lucas is a master at that.

Seriously? There were several shots that straight up impressed me in ways nothing in the prequel trilogy did. All those long shots, contrasting the tiny protagonists against mammoth scenery, or the long shot of Han and Ren on the bridge, with the waning light streaming over them.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Hey Khy, the series isn't science fiction. Read that a couple times, take a deep breath, and relax. It is pure science fantasy, and that is what makes it a ton different from star trek.

Space seems smaller because they didn't do as much "during hyperspace" dialog bits. I think they could have shifted a few things around and accomplished it, but also I don't think that was something JJ was worried about. Things like the conversation between han and rey could have taken on-route to maz's planet instead of right as they get off. Everyone being able to see the starkiller bolt is the other thing that makes it feel smaller, but that is another thing that I think he just wanted in there. I personally don't think they should have, but it is something I'm not going to get mad at.

Originally I was disappointed that they blew up the starkiller base instead of disabling it, but after I thought about it a bit I'm glad they did. It means that they don't need to have any plot points revolving around death star 3.0 in the next movies, and considering they had him do some stuff specifically for the next movie I think that shows they want to explore something different.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Seriously? There were several shots that straight up impressed me in ways nothing in the prequel trilogy did. All those long shots, contrasting the tiny protagonists against mammoth scenery, or the long shot of Han and Ren on the bridge, with the waning light streaming over them.

Yeah Han and Ren was a highlight. The lighting and the dying sun matching Rens mood was great.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

ZypherIM posted:

Things like the conversation between han and rey could have taken on-route to maz's planet instead of right as they get off.

Except that for Rey, living her entire life in a desert, to see a green and wet world, is a moment of realization of her place in the universe and the mobility that was always there, if she had been willing to act on it. Harrison Ford extending her the hand to pull her along is a part of that. She pulls back from it, but that was a well-executed scene.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Bip Roberts posted:

Umm, one thing that is 100% clear from the movies is that stormtrooper armor does nothing to stop a blaster. In fact all the evidence points to it being way worse than nothing. Plenty of people survive blaster shots in the movies. I don't think they ever were wearing stormtrooper armor.

RIP Fives

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Ammanas posted:

Are you serious? You really think a loving planet could jump into light speed? Good lord

they explicitly say its light speed capable in the pre-attack briefing with the holograms

so many people don't pay attention to dialogue

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's more moon size anyway. It's probably smaller than the forest moon of Endor.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
One thing that made me happy is the new movie didn't break realism by letting a planet have more than one biome.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Empress Theonora posted:

So, were there any direct references to the prequels besides the line about clone troopers and Ewan McGregor doing Obi-wan's voice in a spooky force dream?
Every time I'm asked this question the thread descends into talk of borrowing themes and motifs from the prequels. Some of us are interested in direct references dammit!
So far I've got those two. I feel there are probably about four or five more.

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot
Saw the film, hated the lead girl, Mary Sue.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

This is made really explicitly clear. Remember when Finn and Rey were talking about poisoning the intruders? Finn points out that the masks they wear don't even protect against gas. They are lovely armor.

He said the helmets protect against smoke, but not gas. So it's not that they are lovely, but just designed for the types of environments stormtroopers expect to find themselves in.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

edit: double post

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

euphronius posted:

The prequels have boring as gently caress cinematography so I have no idea where your coming from with that. It bothered me more than the 73 layers of unneeded CGI.

One of the reasons TFA feels like its moving fast (and it is) is the cinematography. Camera is moving a ton and dialogue scenes are shot infinitely more in an interesting way.
No one sitting on couches discussing politics or walking in steryized CGI backgrounds.

I'm not sure I'm getting my point across here.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mendicant posted:

sucks to hate cool stuff man, I'm sorry

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Mendicant posted:

Can you explain what that is?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

frest posted:

Except that for Rey, living her entire life in a desert, to see a green and wet world, is a moment of realization of her place in the universe and the mobility that was always there, if she had been willing to act on it. Harrison Ford extending her the hand to pull her along is a part of that. She pulls back from it, but that was a well-executed scene.

I agree that I liked the scene setup for characters, just pointing out that if a priority had been to create that feeling of galactic size there were places they could have done it. I think the priority was on characters though, which I personally liked because that has been what I liked the best out of OT. Favorite parts of ANH are probably obiwan stalling vader until he sees everyone making it to the ship, and han showing up to save luke at the end, less so blowing up the death star.

There is a reason that your equipment doesn't protect against everything all the time (things like weight and bulkiness and cost and etc). I'm sure there is some type of helmet that filters gently caress-all, or they could have the flight suit ones with separate breathers and poo poo, but that isn't standard gear.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I couldn't help but hear Captain Murphy's voice.

"Would you like this interrogation with the helmet off, or on?"

"On, please."

"TOO BAD."

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Mendicant posted:

I love how they couldn't give her an apparent flaw or she would be viciously attacked for being a weak not-man, so now she gets viciously attacked as a Mary Sue. Despite her not solving all the problems for everyone and clearly benefitting from the contributions of the other characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Viller posted:

The prequels have boring as gently caress cinematography so I have no idea where your coming from with that. It bothered me more than the 73 layers of unneeded CGI.

Actually, most of the backgrounds/settings were on-location and practical sets/miniatures and the cinematography is at worst pragmatic and at best intricate and dazzling.

• Locked thread