Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Endman posted:

Poe has no way to get an Evade Token to use Juke and Comm Relay, unfortunately.

poo poo, I forgot that wasn't on his action bar. Thanks. New and all. Back to the drawing board on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Endman posted:

Poe has no way to get an Evade Token to use Juke and Comm Relay, unfortunately.

Otisburg posted:

poo poo, I forgot that wasn't on his action bar. Thanks. New and all. Back to the drawing board on that one.

Now if you swapped Kyle Katarn out for Jan Ors you might be able to make that work, though tbh it's a liiiiitle on the gimmicky side. But that doesn't necessarily make it bad, just that you're paying a fair investment in points to make that combo work. Otoh I know you're working with limited cards so I can't simply tell you "Oh, slap R5-P9 and Autothrusters on ol' Poe" and expect you to have all that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Kai Tave posted:

Now if you swapped Kyle Katarn out for Jan Ors you might be able to make that work, though tbh it's a liiiiitle on the gimmicky side. But that doesn't necessarily make it bad, just that you're paying a fair investment in points to make that combo work. Otoh I know you're working with limited cards so I can't simply tell you "Oh, slap R5-P9 and Autothrusters on ol' Poe" and expect you to have all that.

Once a pending trade and some gifts from a friend arrive/occur, I'll have:
1 TFA Core Set
1 extra core set T-70
1 T-70 retail
2 Falcons
Crew upgrades from the Tantive IV
A Wing Xpack
B-wing half of the Aces pack
E-Wing
2 retail T-65s
1 Starter T-65
1 retail TIE/FO

There might be some extra random poo poo from the friend who gifted me one of the Falcons and the Corvette stuff, he's not sure what all is in there. I guess I mostly play Rebels/Resistance now based on the good value trades and gifts I blundered into.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well if you have Kyle you should have Jan, they came in the same pack (Rebel Aces) as crew upgrades. Jan is who you want to make your trick with Poe happen since what she does is 1/round when a friendly ship at range 1-3 is assigned a focus or takes a focus action they can instead gain an evade token.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Good to see they didn't nerf crack shot too much. Not being useable on fat turrets to break the autothrusters defense is probably a good call. I was seriously considering slapping one on Dash for a while.

On that note, I've been cleaning house with Soontir, Howlrunner, and 3 Black Squads with Crack Shot. It's honestly absurd how much damage they put out. Crack Shot is flat out amazing, and I'd argue it's possibly one of the strongest cards in the game right now.

Also tried out a Juke and x7 Rexler, was pretty good. People don't want to shoot focus/evaded Defenders.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm kinda disappointed that the T-70 X-Wing, TIE/FO and TIE/SF are literally the only starfighter designs in the entire movie. So basically what you get in the starter set plus maybe a black X-Wing and a special forces TIE are literally all you're getting from the Force Awakens. Even ANH had Y-Wings and the TIE Advanced for a little more variety.

I wish we could have seen updates to the TIE Interceptor and Bomber and maybe a new letter-wing Starfighter, like a C-Wing or Z-Wing or something.

Maybe they can repaint TIE Interceptors and Bombers in First Order colors even though they weren't in the movie.

That said, the upcoming TIE carrier looks really cool to me. And I like the new K-Wing a lot.

Also OP, are you ever gonna change the thread title? That was like a year ago.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So, I love TIE Interceptors. A lot. Is there a way to make an Interceptor aces list without using autothrusters? I don't have autothrusters, and while I know I could just print out proxies, there is a part of me that refuses to use something that is so necessary in the meta. I mean, I should be able to make TIE/IN work without it, right? (I'm still very new to Xwangs, so)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also OP, are you ever gonna change the thread title? That was like a year ago.

I've just been too lazy to PM the trad games mod. I didn't ask for the change to the General Lee joke anyway.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
It will work, obviously there were ace lists before autothrusters was printed, but not having it is rough against turrets. You'd probably replace the autothrusters with either a targeting computer for extra damage or with a hull/shield for durability.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

The Gate posted:

It will work, obviously there were ace lists before autothrusters was printed, but not having it is rough against turrets. You'd probably replace the autothrusters with either a targeting computer for extra damage or with a hull/shield for durability.

Yeah, I've been doing targeting comp. Maybe I'll look at shield upgrades, though. Local meta seems to love K-wings right now, and my TIE/IN guys have been getting about 50/50 against k-wing lists without autothrusters, so maybe I'm doing okay? My strategy so far has been KILL THE TURRETS and then just buzz around picking everything else off while arc dodging as much as possible.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

jivjov posted:

I've just been too lazy to PM the trad games mod. I didn't ask for the change to the General Lee joke anyway.

That's cool. It's just that whenever I see the thread I get reminded of a stupid joke I made and everyone flipping their poo poo over it.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
So the final game of a knock out competition I'm in got delayed until next year as it was getting too late to continue. Thing is, we both know each other's lists. I'm running Dash (ptl, outrider, HLC, nien numb) & Corran (ptl, r2d2, FCS, eu) and he's running warden (TLT), Bwing (mangler, FCS) and Miranda (TLT, adv. Homing missile, cluster mine and chewbacca).

If you were me who do you kill first?

I'm thinking Miranda. Mainly the risk of a 4 dice adv. Homing instakilling Corran through his shields, and because if I trade either of my ships for her, with the other in good health, I'd be sitting in a pretty good spot.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Agreed, Miranda is the big threat there. Between Corran and Dash, you should be able to kill her in a round, maybe 2. If she tries to joust Corran just bounce out of her arc so she can't shoot the missile at you. The B-Wing won't be able to do much to either of your ships. Kill the Warden second I would guess.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

The Gate posted:

Agreed, Miranda is the big threat there. Between Corran and Dash, you should be able to kill her in a round, maybe 2. If she tries to joust Corran just bounce out of her arc so she can't shoot the missile at you. The B-Wing won't be able to do much to either of your ships. Kill the Warden second I would guess.

Wait, are secondary attacks limited to front arcs? I thought secondary attacks used the primary attack arc, which on Miranda is a 360 degree arc? Again, I'm still new to this, and just realized the other day that stress tokens take away your ability to "perform an action" but not free actions given by other abilities.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Finster Dexter posted:

Wait, are secondary attacks limited to front arcs? I thought secondary attacks used the primary attack arc, which on Miranda is a 360 degree arc? Again, I'm still new to this, and just realized the other day that stress tokens take away your ability to "perform an action" but not free actions given by other abilities.

There is no such thing as a 360 arc; arcs are only the things printed on the base token. Secondary weapons can (with some specific pilot or title exceptions) only be fired from the front arc. Some ships just have primary weapon turrets which can fire out of arc.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 22, 2015

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

It's not intuitive, but yes they do use the primary firing arc. The key thing though is that ships never have a 360 degree "arc," they can simply fire in any direction. They're still constrained by the static arc printed on their cardboard base like anyone else when it comes to secondary weapons or effects that are relative to something being in their firing arc or whatever else.

Just to clarify the second point too, stress does prevent all actions regardless of type, free or not.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

But worth noting that stress doesn't prevent things not explicitly defined as actions. So, if something lets you take a Target Lock action, then you can't do it if you're stressed. But if something tells you to acquire a Target Lock, you can do it whilst stressed. For instance.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

thespaceinvader posted:

But worth noting that stress doesn't prevent things not explicitly defined as actions. So, if something lets you take a Target Lock action, then you can't do it if you're stressed. But if something tells you to acquire a Target Lock, you can do it whilst stressed. For instance.

This is a really important distinction, and one that frustrates a lot of players who think they've found a superpowerful combo and don't pay attention. You can acquire a target lock or be assigned a focus or evade token when you are stressed, but you cannot perform a target lock ACTION, focus or evade ACTIONS, boost/barrel roll actions, or any equipped upgrade cards (EPTs or bombs) that require. Most annoyingly for Phantoms, it means they can't recloak with Advanced Cloaking Device if they have stress.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Gumdrop Larry posted:

It's not intuitive, but yes they do use the primary firing arc. The key thing though is that ships never have a 360 degree "arc," they can simply fire in any direction. They're still constrained by the static arc printed on their cardboard base like anyone else when it comes to secondary weapons or effects that are relative to something being in their firing arc or whatever else.

Just to clarify the second point too, stress does prevent all actions regardless of type, free or not.

Oh geez. Good to know I still am messed up on stress. Very stressful :v:

Okay, but on the k-wing, there is a rotating arrow printed on the cardboard base to indicate that there is a 360 degree arc? That made me think that secondary attacks would use that, as well. I know that's wrong, now, but I still don't see it based on the RAW.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Finster Dexter posted:

Oh geez. Good to know I still am messed up on stress. Very stressful :v:

Okay, but on the k-wing, there is a rotating arrow printed on the cardboard base to indicate that there is a 360 degree arc? That made me think that secondary attacks would use that, as well. I know that's wrong, now, but I still don't see it based on the RAW.

The 360 arrow means 'primary weapon can fire 360 degrees'. The printed 45 degree arc on the base don't stop being firing arcs because of that.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

thespaceinvader posted:

The 360 arrow means 'primary weapon can fire 360 degrees'. The printed 45 degree arc on the base don't stop being firing arcs because of that.

Ok, so the rules are basically saying, for secondary attacks, use the arcs as indicated by the base, because that shows you the edges of the forward firing arc. That makes, sense, I guess.

Thanks for the help, guys.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Finster Dexter posted:

Ok, so the rules are basically saying, for secondary attacks, use the arcs as indicated by the base, because that shows you the edges of the forward firing arc. That makes, sense, I guess.

Correct, unless otherwise stated by pilots or upgrades.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah. Anything that specifies "inside a firing arc" or similar language is limited to within that printed arc, regardless of whether or not you have a turret.

For example, Tacticial gives a stress to anyone at range 2 in your firing arc. That's still within that wedge, even if you have a turret.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Right, because again as unintuitive as it sounds the game actually makes a distinction between the term "firing arc" and the concept of what direction you can shoot your main weapon. The "firing arc" is the static, unchanging forward-facing arc printed on every ship's base that show you where you can shoot anything, ordinance or primary base weapons. When you have the circular arrow or a dotted-line auxiliary firing arc, think of it as the game allowing you to break the rules for your primary weapon alone. When your K-Wing is shooting something behind it, that ship is outside of the K-Wings primary firing arc for any sort of technical terminology on effects, but that circular arrow on the primary weapon means you're still allowed to make the shot in spite of your printed arc.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Keep in mind, if you could fire 2ndaries 360 the out rider title you have would be useless. It's main use is letting you fire your cannon 360.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Right, because again as unintuitive as it sounds the game actually makes a distinction between the term "firing arc" and the concept of what direction you can shoot your main weapon. The "firing arc" is the static, unchanging forward-facing arc printed on every ship's base that show you where you can shoot anything, ordinance or primary base weapons. When you have the circular arrow or a dotted-line auxiliary firing arc, think of it as the game allowing you to break the rules for your primary weapon alone. When your K-Wing is shooting something behind it, that ship is outside of the K-Wings primary firing arc for any sort of technical terminology on effects, but that circular arrow on the primary weapon means you're still allowed to make the shot in spite of your printed arc.

The auxiliary firing arc is still a firing arc, and will prevent things like autothrusters. Secondary weapons may not be fired out of auxiliary firing arcs unless explicitly mentioned (like on that YV pilot).

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Wes plus R3-A2 and Flechette Torpedo trip report: :circlefap:

Details when I get home.

EDIT: And the details. Ran up against one list flying Epic Dash and Corran, one list flying five Kihraxz fighters, and one flying Chirenau and Redline.

Against Dash and Corran, I flew my three X-wings in close formation and they all ended up with range 3 shots on Corran on the second turn. Wes fired first, launching the flechette torpedo and using R3-A2. The guy was using PTL, so he already had one stress (and an evade/focus). Wes didn't hit (and was never expected to), but forced Corran to use the focus token, stripped the evade token, and piled up two more stress for a total of three. Luke and Wedge shot at Corran and ended up bringing his shields down. Return fire stripped Wedge's shields. Dash ended up just out of range that turn. Next turn, Corran does a green, gets a shield back from R2-D2, and ends up at range 1 of all three X-wings, with Dash coming in from the side at range 2. Corran evaporated. Wedge took a Direct Hit and Integrated Astromech kept him alive.

With Corran down and three X-wings on my side of the board the next half dozen turns were spent doing a K-turn with all three to keep Dash in arc, stressing him with Wes, and then pouring red dice into him until he exploded (something X-wings are pretty good at). I ended up losing Wedge on the K-turn after getting a couple hits on Dash, and by the end Wes had a damage card but still had his Astromech. 100-33

The five Kihraxz didn't go nearly as well. I approached it badly, and Wes ate five range 2 shots on the first turn and just exploded. The Flechette Torpedo he fired double stressed one of them and flipped a Thrust Control Fire for three stress, but on such low PS that's the best crit to hope for. Wedge and Luke acquitted themselves well, shooting down three of them in three turns (including the one Wes wounded on the first turn), but eventually the disparity in hit points and red dice won out. 60-100

Against Chirenau and Redline, I focused down Redline in the first two turns, landing a blinded pilot crit (and two stress, plus a stripped target lock) and a face down damage on him in the opening salvo from my trio, and then flipping Wedge on a K-turn to range 1 where he rolled three naked crits and a hit and blew the Punisher out of the sky in spectacular fashion. Wes kept a persistent stress on Chirenau while the Decimator tried to speed away and couldn't, and a forced white move to avoid an asteroid got two stress on him and kept Isard from mattering for the rest of the game. Wes and Wedge both ended up with no shields, and Luke had a Direct Hit and no shields after the final turn of firing, but I tabled him. 100-0.

Wes is good by himself. Wes and Wedge together are hilarious. Wes with crowd control and Wedge is stupid and I like it.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 23, 2015

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
I wish I could fly X-Wings so well! I usually misjudge enemy positioning and end up with no shots when I try anything fancy and don't leave myself post movement options. I'm sure practice is the answer, but it's so tempting to just fly T70s or things with engine upgrade instead.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ZenMastaT posted:

I wish I could fly X-Wings so well! I usually misjudge enemy positioning and end up with no shots when I try anything fancy and don't leave myself post movement options. I'm sure practice is the answer, but it's so tempting to just fly T70s or things with engine upgrade instead.

Double stressing things tends to make their movement slightly more predictable, especially on Corran who needs to trigger R2-D2 in order to not die like a bitch (which he did anyway). That left 1, 2, and 3-forward, and 2-banks. I was at range 3, and Jansen was stressed, so I took a chance and outguessed him on the 2-bank he did by pulling hard 2s with the two closer and a hard 3 with the last one.

Playing nothing but X-wings really gives an appreciation for out-bluffing and out-guessing enemy maneuvers. It cuts down how much it matters how maneuverable an Interceptor is if you can correctly guess where it's going to end up before barrel rolls and boosts. If you can threaten even one gun on target to force those repositions and keep tokens out of the fight, you cut down on offensive contribution significantly. An Interceptor that has both boosted and barrel rolled is shooting naked dice and defending with naked dice (and Autothrusters).

EDIT: Usually winning the PS fight is pretty nice, too. Threatening a gun on target is nice. Threatening Jansen with PS10, R3-A2, and Flechette Torpedoes is threatening near certain death to someone like Soontir.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 23, 2015

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

We haven't played it for while, but my wife and son and I have a ball playing this with just the most basic rules. We got the Falcon and Slave One, and a couple of other fighters, and it gets really hectic really fast when we play larger lists, but it's so fun. Usually it winds up with me on my own, and my wife and son having a team up consultation before their turns. They've creamed me more than a few times.

Good times :)

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

Double stressing things tends to make their movement slightly more predictable, especially on Corran who needs to trigger R2-D2 in order to not die like a bitch (which he did anyway). That left 1, 2, and 3-forward, and 2-banks. I was at range 3, and Jansen was stressed, so I took a chance and outguessed him on the 2-bank he did by pulling hard 2s with the two closer and a hard 3 with the last one.

Playing nothing but X-wings really gives an appreciation for out-bluffing and out-guessing enemy maneuvers. It cuts down how much it matters how maneuverable an Interceptor is if you can correctly guess where it's going to end up before barrel rolls and boosts. If you can threaten even one gun on target to force those repositions and keep tokens out of the fight, you cut down on offensive contribution significantly. An Interceptor that has both boosted and barrel rolled is shooting naked dice and defending with naked dice (and Autothrusters).

EDIT: Usually winning the PS fight is pretty nice, too. Threatening a gun on target is nice. Threatening Jansen with PS10, R3-A2, and Flechette Torpedoes is threatening near certain death to someone like Soontir.

All very good points. Knowing dials and possible moves is pretty critical if you're going to be running ships without reposition options, even with the extreme PS that this particular list can run. The most dangerous turn for the XXX list is the initial merge of ships, especially against a swarm/mini-swarm. If you come through that mostly intact or at least having done more damage than you received, you have good odds on a win.

Soontir can also make an excellent blocker against a higher PS foe, since he can token up and defend like a pro if he guesses wrong, unlike most blocking ships (poor, poor Academy Pilots). Using him as a blocker against a list with a PS 9 Bossk and a PS 10 Boba moving after him ended up being crucial by denying actions, so if you're on the receiving end of a high PS build that's something to keep in mind.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's definitely a delicate balancing act between repositions and turtling up for Soontir, though. He gets a bit of an easier decision based on getting his token for being stressed, but most arc dodgers will make the decision to take fewer incoming dice over taking more tokens when dealing with ships that have 3 Attack.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
My friend and I decided to take the plunge and get into X-Wing. We both picked up some basic TFA boxed sets and some other random cool ships we both liked. He likes running Scum and Villainy while I'm sticking with Rebels, and sometimes running Imperials against him for variety.

Both of us aren't really into board games, and I'm just curious if there's a general thread consensus on things that newbies might/will gently caress up rules-wise that we should look out to avoid doing? I don't want to pick up bad habits or have bad interpretations of rules if we end up playing against other groups around here.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Here ya go.

The Gate posted:

Common mistakes:

1) focus changes all eye results on one roll, not just one result.
2) secondary weapons like cannons and Missiles don't add an extra attack/defense die are range 1 and 3
3) flying over a rock or bumping a ship makes you lose your action step, but you can take another action if something gives you one later in the turn (friendly abilities for example)
4) move then action, but there are a few things (Advanced Sensors) that give you your action before you move.
5) you can only measure ranges in the shooting phase, and only from the ship that's firing next, OR you can measure ranges for an ability when it is relevant to check. No measuring shooting range or arcs in the movement phase.

Probably the most common tripping points.

Wondering if something like this should be added to the OP? With SW:TFA and the holiday season, there's certainly gonna be an influx of new players.

BOGO LOAD fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 23, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Couple more things to add:

1) Attacker rolls dice, modifies dice. Then defender rolls dice, modifies dice. Then compare results. The attacker does not get to see the defender's dice before deciding whether to spend tokens or target locks.
2) Hits always come first unless specified otherwise. That includes both when comparing hits and evades, and when applying damage. If you have one shield left, and take one hit and one crit, the shield takes the hit and the hull takes the crit.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Strobe posted:

Couple more things to add:

1) Attacker rolls dice, modifies dice. Then defender rolls dice, modifies dice. Then compare results. The attacker does not get to see the defender's dice before deciding whether to spend tokens or target locks.
2) Hits always come first unless specified otherwise. That includes both when comparing hits and evades, and when applying damage. If you have one shield left, and take one hit and one crit, the shield takes the hit and the hull takes the crit.

First off, thanks for the responses.

Just to make sure I'm understanding the modifying dice roll thing correctly here. The way we've been playing is that I say I'm making an attack, declare I'm burning Focus to change any Focus results to-be rolled into hits before I actually roll the dice. But if I'm reading point 1 right here, I'd roll the dice, see the results then I'd say that I'm using Focus to change the eyes into hits?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Holybat posted:

Just to make sure I'm understanding the modifying dice roll thing correctly here. The way we've been playing is that I say I'm making an attack, declare I'm burning Focus to change any Focus results to-be rolled into hits before I actually roll the dice. But if I'm reading point 1 right here, I'd roll the dice, see the results then I'd say that I'm using Focus to change the eyes into hits?

That's rigt - same for the defender using evade tokens; wait until you roll to determine if it's worthwhile or not, then declare that you're using it

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Holybat posted:

The latter is right.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Holybat posted:

No. You roll your dice. Once you look at your dice, you decide whether to spend target locks or focus tokens. I don't think there's an explicit order there, but you should always always always always spend target locks (if you spend them at all) before you spend focus. Then, once you have finished modifying your dice, the defender rolls. Once the defender rolls, he or she decides whether to use any focus or evade tokens (or rerolls from Lone Wolf or Serissu). Finally, the number of results are compared, with hits and crits matching up against evades. Evade tokens count as evade dice results for the purposes of this step.

Focus is a lot better than you thought it was. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Strobe posted:

Focus is a lot better than you thought it was. :v:

Holy poo poo I'm embarrassed in how off-base my group was with how we were running that rule :pwn:

and yeah definitely a game-changer for my match with my buddy tomorrow lol

• Locked thread