Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Coylter posted:

Look up my previous post and eating beans, soy beans, flax seeds etc. isn't hard. It simply isn't.

It also "simply isn't" going to guarantee proper amounts of nutrients commonly lacking in all-plant diets. What don't you get there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

fishmech posted:

It also "simply isn't" going to guarantee proper amounts of nutrients commonly lacking in all-plant diets. What don't you get there?

Neither is a single food going to guarantee it for any diet. This isn't a property that's unique to veganism. I absolutely get your point. My point is that you should use your brain when assessing what you shove down your mouth. It still doesn't make it hard.

Coylter fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 22, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Coylter posted:

Neither is a single food is going to guarantee it for any diet. This isn't a property that's unique to veganism. I absolutely get your point. My point is that you should use your brain when assessing what you shove down your mouth. It still doesn't make it hard.
I emphasized where you're wrong.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Mr. Wookums posted:

I emphasized where you're wrong.

Only veganism cannot cover its nutritional needs with a single food stuff?

Maybe a soylent diet lol.

Beside i don't really buy the "commonly lacking in plant based diet" argument. If you eat a diverse selection of vegies, fruits, lentils, beans etc you most likely are not gonna run into any problem even if you don't specifically care for a specific nutrient. The exception to this would probably be B12 but that can be remedied by eating unwashed vegies (from the garden) or preferably a B12 supplement if you are not inclined on eating dirt.

Coylter fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 22, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Coylter posted:

Only veganism cannot cover its nutritional needs with a single food stuff?

Maybe a soylent diet lol.
Soylent isn't a single food item.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Coylter posted:

What did you seriously take that as a "Eat only beans" statement.

So you used "just eat some beans" as some sort of rebuttal against the idea that vegan nutritional planning is complex, and now you're saying "well, obviously it's more complex than that...". That makes sense.

Coylter posted:

They sell them in a can which you can mix with tomato paste or something and are absolutely fine to eat. I ate cans of straight beans as my lunch for over a year and they never lost their appeal. Beans are delicious.

Most people don't think this and, shockingly, will not be receptive to the idea of losing weight by eating beans out of a can for lunch every day for a year.

Doc Hawkins posted:

When a vegan diet has negative health effects, doesn't it technically count as an eating disorder? A for-the-most-part-socially-accepted form of orthorexia?

I'm disinclined to call behavior expressing a mental illness "dumb".

No, being misinformed is not a mental illness.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Mr. Wookums posted:

Soylent isn't a single food item.

Good point.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Coylter posted:

They sell them in a can which you can mix with tomato paste or something and are absolutely fine to eat. I ate cans of straight beans as my lunch for over a year and they never lost their appeal. Beans are delicious.

Jesus christ

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Bryter posted:

So you used "just eat some beans" as some sort of rebuttal against the idea that vegan nutritional planning is complex, and now you're saying "well, obviously it's more complex than that...". That makes sense.

Most people don't think this and, shockingly, will not be receptive to the idea of losing weight by eating beans out of a can for lunch every day for a year.

No, being misinformed is not a mental illness.

That's not my point at all i was just replying to the idea that beans are not delicious.

Yea i'm sure this looks alien/extreme coming from people with a diet of twinkies.

The vitriol in this thread is real.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Looking to lose weight? Try this new hip diet where you mix beans and tomato paste and eat them for an entire year while some blob fatter than you tells you to eat less and exercise over the internet. The thin privilege thread diet.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Coylter posted:

Neither is a single food going to guarantee it for any diet. This isn't a property that's unique to veganism. I absolutely get your point. My point is that you should use your brain when assessing what you shove down your mouth. It still doesn't make it hard.

No it honestly is a property that's unique to veganism, that it's extremely difficult to get all necessary nutrients for a human being in food, under a strict adherence to its requirements. Regular vegetarianism, which allows sparse consumption of animal derived things, has no troubles, and of course being omnivorous has no issues at all.

Any idiot can spend their life not going through any particular effort to get all necessary nutrients on a vegetarian or omnivorous diet. You need to be fuckin' diligent as hell to get the various amino acids, trace nutrients like B12 etc from a strict vegan diet.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Coylter posted:

What did you seriously take that as a "Eat only beans" statement.

Yes, people who do not eat have a low BMI. It's important to have a diet that is conductive to living.

Jesus loving christ.

Tell me what a "processed food" is and how your definition doesn't include tomato paste

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

fishmech posted:

No it honestly is a property that's unique to veganism, that it's extremely difficult to get all necessary nutrients for a human being in food, under a strict adherence to its requirements. Regular vegetarianism, which allows sparse consumption of animal derived things, has no troubles, and of course being omnivorous has no issues at all.

Any idiot can spend their life not going through any particular effort to get all necessary nutrients on a vegetarian or omnivorous diet. You need to be fuckin' diligent as hell to get the various amino acids, trace nutrients like B12 etc from a strict vegan diet.

It is not extremely difficult at all.

ITT: Eating beans and a supplement every month = be fuckin' diligent as hell

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Series DD Funding posted:

Tell me what a "processed food" is and how your definition doesn't include tomato paste

It's within my personnal limits to what i consider acceptable. Look i'm not an extremist lol.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Coylter posted:

Again, "eat beans" is not adequate nutritional planning for a vegan diet.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Coylter posted:

It's within my personnal limits to what i consider acceptable. Look i'm not an extremist lol.

So maybe it would be helpful if you found a word that better describes the category of food you find unacceptable.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Bryter posted:

Again, "eat beans" is not adequate nutritional planning for a vegan diet.

Well it's not juste beans, there are plenty of other sources of amino acids. I was just using them as a case in point because i eat them pretty much every day.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Stinky_Pete posted:

So maybe it would be helpful if you found a word that better describes the category of food you find unacceptable.

Probably. Do you have a suggestion?

I tend towards whole, unprocessed food but i have leeway.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Coylter posted:

Beans do absolutely nothing towards making up the nutritional deficit, when are you going to get that? And yes actually needing to take supplements is way more diligent then "just eat food that will actually have all you need".

To say nothing of how supplements are practically unregulated so if you aren't careful you might have bought a supplement utterly lacking in B12 etc. You wouldn't have that problem if you deigned to eat an egg every month or so.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Coylter posted:

Well it's not juste beans, there are plenty of other sources of amino acids. I was just using them as a case in point because i eat them pretty much every day.

Seeking out those sources, learning to prepare them in a way that makes them palatable as a long term staple of your diet, ensuring you eat enough of them, and taking dietary supplements is, in fact, being diligent as hell compared to how people typically approach nutrition.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

fishmech posted:

Beans do absolutely nothing towards making up the nutritional deficit, when are you going to get that? And yes actually needing to take supplements is way more diligent then "just eat food that will actually have all you need".

To say nothing of how supplements are practically unregulated so if you aren't careful you might have bought a supplement utterly lacking in B12 etc. You wouldn't have that problem if you deigned to eat an egg every month or so.

Look i was just using beans as a case in point you get amino acids from Quinoa, hempseeds, chia, soy, rice etc...

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Bryter posted:

Seeking out those sources, learning to prepare them in a way that makes them palatable as a long term staple of your diet, ensuring you eat enough of them, and taking dietary supplements is, in fact, being diligent as hell compared to how people typically approach nutrition.

Well then you might be putting your finger on the gist of the problem...

But in all seriousness preparing rice is very easy and so is cooking vegetables. Anyone can do that.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Coylter posted:

quote:

In the July issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, German researchers tracked 174 apparently healthy people living in Germany and the Netherlands.

They found that 92% of the vegans they studied -- those who ate the strictest vegetarian diet, which shuns all animal products, including milk and eggs -- had vitamin B12 deficiency. But two in three people who followed a vegetarian diet that included milk and eggs as their only animal foods also were deficient. Only 5% of those who consumed meats had vitamin B12 deficiency.

It's actually very hard to be strictly vegetarian and not have a b12 deficiency. Veganism is hilariously bad for you.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009
No its not hard you take a pill every week or eat nutritional yeast. I prefer the later.

As i said earlier you can also eat dirty vegetables since that's how we got B12 before we started washing everything. Not something i would recommend tho..

jre posted:

Veganism is hilariously bad for you.

How so, all the studies have seen point in the opposite direction.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Coylter posted:

No its not hard you take a pill every week or eat nutritional yeast. I prefer the later.

If it's not hard why do 92% of the vegans in that study have measurable malnutrition ?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Or enjoy one of many succulent fleshes. You'd also want to be taking supplements far more often than that as a majority of them are not absorbed.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Coylter posted:

So "foods I like are good, foods I don't like are bad" then

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Series DD Funding posted:

So "foods I like are good, foods I don't like are bad" then

No, in an ideal world i would probably not eat anything that's canned either. Everyone has their own margin of maneuver. Let's not act like everyone is completely rigid in their beliefs.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any worse...the vegans show up. :cripes:

The fattest person I know is a vegan btw so it's not some magic bullet that slays obesity or poor nutrition.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

smg77 posted:

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any worse...the vegans show up. :cripes:

The fattest person I know is a vegan btw so it's not some magic bullet that slays obesity or poor nutrition.

drat your anecdote just completely wiped the floor.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Coylter posted:

Probably. Do you have a suggestion?

Looking at your post history in the thread, it seems like the foods you don't like are foods optimized for uniformity, packaging, and transit, in such a way that nutritional content is sacrificed. I assume this is what you meant by "processed," though to me every food goes through some kind of process. Like there was a mechanical process that separated my bag of flax seeds from the flax chaff, but that probably doesn't qualify the flax seeds for your category of undesirables.

Your category also includes foods like chicken breast, so I think you're going to have to not fall back on a single adjective as a shortcut for your idea if your goal is for other people to understand you.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah lol vegans can still eat linguini for days

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Stinky_Pete posted:

Yeah lol vegans can still eat linguini for days

That's not good for you at all.

Stinky_Pete posted:

Looking at your post history in the thread, it seems like the foods you don't like are foods optimized for uniformity, packaging, and transit, in such a way that nutritional content is sacrificed. I assume this is what you meant by "processed," though to me every food goes through some kind of process. Like there was a mechanical process that separated my bag of flax seeds from the flax chaff, but that probably doesn't qualify the flax seeds for your category of undesirables.

Your category also includes foods like chicken breast, so I think you're going to have to not fall back on a single adjective as a shortcut for your idea if your goal is for other people to understand you.

Yea i agree processed is a very vague term. Whole plant based diet would be closer i guess.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I think we're just trying to establish that qualifying as 'vegan' is neither sufficient nor necessary for a diet to be healthy.

But eating mostly leaves and broccoli and squash and whatnot certainly helps. Adding chicken breast helps even more I think, and extracting the seeds from a whole flax plant is also nice.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Stinky_Pete posted:

Yeah I think we're just trying to establish that qualifying as 'vegan' is neither sufficient nor necessary for a diet to be healthy.

But eating mostly leaves and broccoli and squash and whatnot certainly helps. Adding chicken breast helps even more I think.

That's absolutely right. It's possible to be vegan and eat potato chips all day but there is no denying that it is entirely possible and feasible (I'd even say easy) to eat a complete diet in a fully vegan context.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Coylter posted:

As i said earlier you can also eat dirty vegetables since that's how we got B12 before we started washing everything.

No, before we started washing everything we got B12 from meat and other animal products. You only need small amounts after all, even eating animal products as little as a few times a year can be enough intake to keep ya good. It's the total lack that's really bad for you.

Incidentally most of the time leaving those things unwashed still doesn't leave any usable B12 in the literal poo poo and dirt you left on the vegetables. Especially if it was done in a vegan way, i.e. without livestock around whose poo poo can leave usable B12 on there!

Coylter posted:

Look i was just using beans as a case in point you get amino acids from Quinoa, hempseeds, chia, soy, rice etc...

That's also not going to fix the problems.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Coylter posted:

there is no denying that it is entirely possible and feasible (I'd even say easy) to eat a complete diet in a fully vegan context.

It's possible, sure, but for a lot of people it is not feasible and for the overwhelming majority of people it is not easy. At all.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

How do you reconcile the glory of the vegan diet with the evil cola-sponsored carb conspiracy

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

fishmech posted:

No, before we started washing everything we got B12 from meat and other animal products. You only need small amounts after all, even eating animal products as little as a few times a year can be enough intake to keep ya good. It's the total lack that's really bad for you.

Incidentally most of the time leaving those things unwashed still doesn't leave any usable B12 in the literal poo poo and dirt you left on the vegetables. Especially if it was done in a vegan way, i.e. without livestock around whose poo poo can leave usable B12 on there!

That's also not going to fix the problems.

What problem do you have at this point?

Control Volume posted:

How do you reconcile the glory of the vegan diet with the evil cola-sponsored carb conspiracy

You don't, veganism includes soda by definition. It's really not the point tho, sodas are absolutely loving terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Coylter posted:

What problem do you have at this point?

My problem is you're recommending a diet that provably results in nutritional deficiencies in most people who attempt it and stick with it long term, if they're not extremely careful to properly source things to supplement the rest of their food. The very fact that you think the solution is "just eat the food you can eat" when the foods you can eat are the problem only cinches it.

There's also all the outright falsehoods you posted (though they're not lies, because you clearly don't know better, and didn't intend to deceive).

• Locked thread