Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Wank posted:

Every design that wasn't from the OT was crap. (Except maybe Kylos shuttle but only because it was huge). Lucas is much better at that stuff than JJ. The budget of this was double that of the prequel movies? Though I suppose that proves with a bit more care and money spent is the difference between seeing a movie once and telling all your friends and seeing a movie twice.

You realize the OT used used toy figurines from some random toy shop right? None of it was Lucas's design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I mean calling a protagonist like Rey a Mary Sue would be obnoxious and sexist in any story, but it's especially galling in a loving Star Wars movie, when like the Force literally manifests itself as an intuitive grasp of extremely difficult skills that can guide you through the seemingly impossible-- Anakin podracing, Luke turning off his targeting computer and using the Force instead.

This character with supernatural powers... has supernatural powers????

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Also worth noting that Kylo totally pwned Rey the first time they met. It was only when he tried to tap into her memories that he really awakened her force ability.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

loling pretty hard at nerds upset that Rey, a woman, owns harder than Luke.

She's the best new character followed very closely by Finn. Can't wait to see where they go next.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Troll shotgun approach was successful I guess, I really didn't think that would work.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
i am the puppet master

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Every time a man calls Rey a Mary Sue The Force Awakens moves slightly up my list of favorite Star Wars movies; I expect it to eclipse Empire by the end of the week.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

She's the best new character followed very closely by Finn. Can't wait to see where they go next.

Screw you dude. Poe is the coolest cat in the galaxy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Serf posted:

Oh poo poo that's who he reminded me of! I cracked up at that part and I kept thinking it reminded me of another character but couldn't remember who.

Oscar Isaac is what happens when you mash together Jake Johnson and David Krumholtz.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

You realize the OT used used toy figurines from some random toy shop right? None of it was Lucas's design.

Look how much people hate Lucas

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Viller posted:

The prequels have boring as gently caress cinematography so I have no idea where your coming from with that. It bothered me more than the 73 layers of unneeded CGI.

You're equating boring with static, and going back to actually watch the prequels the camera is nothing like as static as you'd think from the criticism. The fight between Maul and Qui-Gon is shot just like a modern action movie. I think people say "I'm bored" and assume there must be nothing happening on the screen. Actually, there's a lot happening on the screen, you just don't care about it.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They reeeeally seemed to be hinting that Rey had some history with the force that she isn't aware of or won't acknowledge.

We've only been told a PORTION

However, what was up with her big goofy "I BYPASSED the motivator!" smile? I didn't get it. Was she proud of herself for figuring it out or did she laugh at solving the problem through yanking wires?

She succeeded in front of the ~famous~ General Solo. Finn and Rey are going "wait, General Solo from the Rebel Alliance? THAT Han Solo?!" and she's trying to impress him for the next half hour. I don't understand how you didn't get that. cf. Luke fanboying about Obi-Wan and Leia on the Death Star as the same guy, Han Solo, grumps about trusting a crazy old man and not signing up to rescue princesses.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Mahoning posted:

So he stood around and talked to people is what you're saying. And the first time actually has to fight someone he dies...

quote:

Then he figures out that Luke is sneaking up on him, and ambushes him.

Yeah, R2 gave him away, but 90% of everybody else ignores droids. And look how close he came to shooting Luke's head off on a quick shot at medium range. The only reason Luke is even alive is because Boba Fett knew Vader wanted him alive.

I was five and I picked up on that.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Finn and Poe are hands down the best part of the new series. Rey was mediocre at best. I'm not gonna call her a mary sue but I will say that the 'interrogation' scene with her and Kylo was retarded as gently caress and since Han was supposed to be some kind of 'father figure' for her they didn't play up the relationship between those two NEARLY enough for me to feel like they shared a bond at all.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

Yes. I don't believe Lucas literally designed everything (anything) in Star Wars.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Going back to people(myself included) being like "yeah right" when Finn picks up the saber and fights Ren, it's canon that they're super unwieldy. Due to the weightlessness of the blade and a gyroscopic effect from swinging it they are insanely dangerous to the user. I seem to remember a behind the scenes deal where Lucas actually instructed the actors to pretend the weapon was rather heavy. They go into this in a lot of the books too when it comes to young Jedi training with practice sabers that just give you a good jolt instead.

Granted Finn does get wrecked pretty fast in the fight, which at least made me suspend disbelief, cuz it is a movie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's never stated in any Star Wars movie that only Jedi can use lightsabers, and nothing else matters, so who cares?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Phylodox posted:

It's never stated in any Star Wars movie that only Jedi can use lightsabers, and nothing else matters, so who cares?

Yeah, but I thought it. Are you saying my thoughts aren't reality?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

Screw you dude. Poe is the coolest cat in the galaxy.

Poe's good as well but no where near as interesting.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

it's canon

[...] the books [...]

hmmm yes tell me more

Anyway they specifically go out of their way to show that Stormtroopers are trained to use awkward, unwieldy melee weapons.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, but I thought it. Are you saying my thoughts aren't reality?

Everyone's thoughts are a reality, but that reality cannot extend beyond the confines of their minds without action.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I remember watching a special feature or something where they talk about the lightsabers being really heavy, but that was just something Lucas did because the first fight scene was between an old man and a cyborg. Gradually they eased up on it from there. You see Luke go one-handed a couple of times in Empire, and then by the time of the PT that whole "lightsabers are really heavy" thing seems to have gone out the window.

Of course the explanation is that they were just getting better at doing fight scenes iirc

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Phylodox posted:

In fact, Han used it without too much trouble to slice just the skin of that tauntaun. I think people have to let go of EU ideas that are no longer true.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The new movies forcing people to let go of a lot of nerd bullshit they picked up from the EU will be awesome in the years to come.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Well, I didn't mention that either. It's just likely that without training you would dismember yourself pretty fast. You also need the force to align the crystals during construction so it's unlikely a non force user would even get the chance, unless they stole it.

Like I said, I stopped caring right after scene ended but it's not completely unwarranted.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
general grievous used four lightsabers

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I get wanting Star Trek to be based on some kind of science fact, but Star Wars has really never had a tradition of linking it's technology to reality in any of the movies.

I think the movie was great, I want to see it again, and every character but Snoke held up really well for me (I think it was just the CGi).

I did also wonder why Leia and Chewie walk right past each other. I don't think it would have taken anything away from the movie if Leia hugged Chewie first, then Rey. It just seems out of their character.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

Well, I didn't mention that either. It's just likely that without training you would dismember yourself pretty fast.

Swords are really sharp, yet I could probably wave one around and, if my life depended on it, use one to defend myself without cutting my own arm off. And that's what lightsabers are. They're just swords. In space.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Swords are really sharp, yet I could probably wave one around and, if my life depended on it, use one to defend myself without cutting my own arm off. And that's what lightsabers are. They're just swords. In space.

Swords are actually very difficult to use in an actual fight without proper training. You're more likely to hurt yourself than your opponent.

That said, stormtroopers do receive training in melee weapons, so it's a moot point.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Any time someone uses the word "cannon" when speaking of Star Wars stuff I just stop listening. This is a fake loving fantasy world, not immutable science.

Plus, Grevious used 4 lightsabers at once and he wasn't a Jedi so cannon away.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

Any time someone uses the word "cannon" when speaking of Star Wars stuff I just stop listening. This is a fake loving fantasy world, not immutable science.

Plus, Grevious used 4 lightsabers at once and he wasn't a Jedi so cannon away.

It's a fake world, but it's still important for it to be internally consistent. If Luke dies in one of the books, and then shows up alive-and-well in a subsequent movie, it would take away from the story as a whole in a big way.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Boogaleeboo posted:

The new movies forcing people to let go of a lot of nerd bullshit they picked up from the EU will be awesome in the years to come.

And sexist/racist bullshit movies in general have been pushing. Disney is programming little girls to want to be Jedi.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Phylodox posted:

"A lightsaber is an interesting weapon. A blade unique in the history of warfare. A paradox, not unlike the Jedi who wield it: those peaceful warriors, who kill in the service of life. Have you ever noticed? The blade is round. It has no edge. But it is a lightsaber—which means it is nothing but edge. There is no part of this blade that does not cut. Curious, yes? Symbolic, one might say."

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Corbae posted:

my only complaint about the film is how drawn out the final scene is, it's almost comical the way luke and rey stare at each other, they could have easily had luke turn around rey hand the lightsaber towards him and then cut back to him looking like what ever and then ending the film there

Rey: "So are you going to loving grab this or what?"

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

enraged_camel posted:

It's a fake world, but it's still important for it to be internally consistent. If Luke dies in one of the books, and then shows up alive-and-well in a subsequent movie, it would take away from the story as a whole in a big way.

Of course we should follow major plot points through the story, but anyone who goes to the term "cannon" when defending or analyzing something about Star Wars is usually talking about something a) obscure, b) not in the movies, c) is from some book somewhere that has been rendered meaningless now anyway, or d) doesn't really matter to begin with.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

Going back to people(myself included) being like "yeah right" when Finn picks up the saber and fights Ren, it's canon that they're super unwieldy.

the canon is the movies and the clone wars series and that's it. where are you getting this?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The only time that Rey really bugged me was the Jedi mind trick scene. I can see her reversing Kylo Ren's mind probe since he's kind of a pussy but it's a pretty big leap to go from that to "I bet I can make people do whatever I want." It was just a bit too on the head for someone who hadn't even so much as seen the classic mind trick in action. Yeah it was a cute callback and all but it did take me out of it a little bit.

Even with that I don't think it's fair to call her a Mary Sue, though. She doesn't really steal the spotlight and she's only important within the context of her own personal journey. Finn, Han, and Poe take out Starkiller Base with essentially no help from Rey.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cry Havoc posted:

everyone complaining about rey being a mary sue is just a sexist akin to the racists complaining about black stormtroopers there i said it

Just wait until Episode IX when Finn and Rey are reunited and the black guy gets the white girl at the end. With Obama out of office by then, Tea Party Republicans everywhere are going to absolutely lose their poo poo over it. :)

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

the canon is the movies and the clone wars series and that's it. where are you getting this?

Isn't it in the Clone Wars cartoon where we get a Mandalorian dude who uses a lightsaber to fight Obi-Wan? I don't think he's a Jedi, so it is pretty much canon that non-force sensitives can use lightsabers. Probably not as well as a Jedi, but that fits with this movie.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Siets posted:

Just wait until Episode IX when Finn and Rey are reunited and the black guy gets the white girl at the end. With Obama out of office by then, Tea Party Republicans everywhere are going to absolutely lose their poo poo over it. :)

Actually they're going to lose their poo poo when Poe and Finn kiss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
did anyone notice that part where kylo ren gets loving nailed in the liver with a bowcaster and is in the process of bleeding out during the entire fight

because i think that might make it hard to fight

• Locked thread