Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Is there a way to change which IGN shows for my items on poe.trade? I went to the PoE site and made my Talisman character the one that displays in the top-left, but my account page and poe.trade items still showcase my old Darkshrine character.

Actually, what happens if someone tries to whisper my Darkshrine IGN when I'm playing Talisman? Do I see it anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

TheRat posted:

People requested a short writeup about my groundslammer so here goes:

I wanted to remake Ghudda's RT DW groundslammer, which he shows off in this video.

There's a few changes from back then:

* GS has buit in increased AoE now, so we dont have to path to templar nodes
* Fortify has been added to the game, and its an excellent main skill support together with the fortify nodes on the tree.
* Life leech has been completely reworked and is really really strong even without cherrubim's maleficence
* Bloodrage is phys degen so we can use it for massive attackspeed bonus and frenzy generation
* Frenzy charges have been buffed
* Aura curses have been added, making for better leech, better stun and automatic endurance charge generation

With this in mind, my skilltree looks something like this.

Mainhand weapon is a fast, high physical damage mace. The faster the better. Offhand is Prismatic Eclipse with 2-3 green sockets. I'm currently using 2 because I want a red socket for increased duration. You dont need movement speed on boots, because all your travelling will be done with superfast leapslam. The rest of your gear should just be armour, life, resistances and flat physical damage. You're also gonna need a fair bit of int and dex on gear/the tree.

Links:
Ground slam->Multistrike->Melee phys->Fortify->Increaed AOE
Blood magic->Leap slam->Faster attacks->Enduring Cry
Hatred | Summon Flame Golem->Blind
Blasphemy->Warlords mark
Bloodrage->Vaal haste->Increased Duration

Playstyle is to just leap around like a bunny on aderall and slam the poo poo out of everything.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3i1n2mIpHQ Short gameplay video
E2: I'm also using the new unique jewel that changes GS radius

I was going to go Cyclone first off (if I ever get a chance to play) but your video looks like a lot of fun so I might give it a go.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Is there a way to change which IGN shows for my items on poe.trade? I went to the PoE site and made my Talisman character the one that displays in the top-left, but my account page and poe.trade items still showcase my old Darkshrine character.

Actually, what happens if someone tries to whisper my Darkshrine IGN when I'm playing Talisman? Do I see it anyway?

When poe.trade sees that you're logged in, it usually changes the character name to the one you're online with. And all whispers to any of your characters are sent to your account anyway, so it doesn't really matter. I imagine changing your default character on the PoE forums would change what it displays when you're offline though.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Can I get an invite to the guild? My character name is RageOutJester.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
I hadn't played for almost two years after initially digging into the game back in February 2014; back then I beat normal difficulty with a witch and then a scion and wandered off from it. I recently wandered back and decided to tackle Hardcore for the first time, making a ranger--and last night I cleared Dominus and then Voll so far.

Main trouble is, I have absolutely no idea still what all really changed over the two years and have not dug terribly deep under the hood for mechanics; now that I am going up against content I haven't done before and have hankerings to try and make the full tour through merciless while remaining on Hardcore, I thought it might be best to swing by here and see if there's suggestions / tips / insights etc. that might be had.

I suspect that I'm nowhere near being optimal with how I'm rolling so far given that I've mostly been playing it by ear and haven't gone out of my way yet to gear up / get a particular ability combo going. I have generally been focusing on getting my damage up as much as possible at range while relying on decoy totem to keep things off my rear end as I hose enemies with rain of arrows / caustic arrow / split shot.

Here is where I'm currently at skill-wise at level 37. I use split arrow with lesser multiple projectiles and caustic arrow with physical projectile attack damage + life leech alternatively.

I run around with hatred and herald of ice running and generally seem to blow through enemies without much trouble, but when I grouped up with folks for Dominus & the dried lake I was watching them melt things dramatically faster than me. I've got a Karui Ward and Wondertrap for uniques I'd stumbled across, so my move speed is 40% ish increased; I've also managed to luck into a few rare gear combos that give me big boosts to my elemental damage.

Basically I'd like to make sure that I'm not diving down irreparable bungles in my passive tree / direction if my intention is to remain survivable and quick meandering into the higher difficulties on Hardcore for the first time. I've got the 40% dodge and 30% spell dodge passives and a mix of increased damage + increased health generally across the board so far.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

GaistHeidegger posted:

I use split arrow with lesser multiple projectiles and caustic arrow with physical projectile attack damage + life leech alternatively.

From my experience using split arrow, using lesser/greater multiple projectiles is much more of a hindrance than anything else.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

GaistHeidegger posted:

I hadn't played for almost two years after initially digging into the game back in February 2014; back then I beat normal difficulty with a witch and then a scion and wandered off from it. I recently wandered back and decided to tackle Hardcore for the first time, making a ranger--and last night I cleared Dominus and then Voll so far.

Main trouble is, I have absolutely no idea still what all really changed over the two years and have not dug terribly deep under the hood for mechanics; now that I am going up against content I haven't done before and have hankerings to try and make the full tour through merciless while remaining on Hardcore, I thought it might be best to swing by here and see if there's suggestions / tips / insights etc. that might be had.

I suspect that I'm nowhere near being optimal with how I'm rolling so far given that I've mostly been playing it by ear and haven't gone out of my way yet to gear up / get a particular ability combo going. I have generally been focusing on getting my damage up as much as possible at range while relying on decoy totem to keep things off my rear end as I hose enemies with rain of arrows / caustic arrow / split shot.

Here is where I'm currently at skill-wise at level 37. I use split arrow with lesser multiple projectiles and caustic arrow with physical projectile attack damage + life leech alternatively.

I run around with hatred and herald of ice running and generally seem to blow through enemies without much trouble, but when I grouped up with folks for Dominus & the dried lake I was watching them melt things dramatically faster than me. I've got a Karui Ward and Wondertrap for uniques I'd stumbled across, so my move speed is 40% ish increased; I've also managed to luck into a few rare gear combos that give me big boosts to my elemental damage.

Basically I'd like to make sure that I'm not diving down irreparable bungles in my passive tree / direction if my intention is to remain survivable and quick meandering into the higher difficulties on Hardcore for the first time. I've got the 40% dodge and 30% spell dodge passives and a mix of increased damage + increased health generally across the board so far.

Before coming back in September the last time I had played was before scion was released. Just pick a cheap build from the OF build guides that looks fun and you'll figure the rest out as you play. Or ask your questions in guild chat.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

GaistHeidegger posted:

Too much information.

You need to look at ranger build guides on the forum and find the one thats cheap and also close to what you spent your points on already. You are going to completely gimp yourself especially in merc difficulty if you don't start following a proven guide. Merc is like running into a wall for first time characters.

edit: you can buy a twink bow or three for 1 chaos on poe.trade, you should do so immediately, 1c= 16alch or chrom so you easily have enough currency to buy a cheap unique leveling bow. You can also find cheap low level 5 link armors for the same price, but you probably need to pay 20 alts if you don't have any chaos. Quality gems in the 10% range are generally not that expensive either and an easy way to give yourself more punch.

Washout fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 21, 2015

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

gently caress nugi

az
Dec 2, 2005

How do Axes stack up vs. Maces at higher levels? I'm getting to the point where I need to spec my cycloneman and I can't decide :shobon:

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

2h axes have more weapon range. Always cyclone with axes.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ultima66 posted:

2h axes have more weapon range. Always cyclone with axes.

Unless you've got a lot of money, in which case you make a 7linked mace.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Washout posted:

You need to look at ranger build guides on the forum and find the one thats cheap and also close to what you spent your points on already. You are going to completely gimp yourself especially in merc difficulty if you don't start following a proven guide. Merc is like running into a wall for first time characters.

edit: you can buy a twink bow or three for 1 chaos on poe.trade, you should do so immediately, 1c= 16alch or chrom so you easily have enough currency to buy a cheap unique leveling bow. You can also find cheap low level 5 link armors for the same price, but you probably need to pay 20 alts if you don't have any chaos. Quality gems in the 10% range are generally not that expensive either and an easy way to give yourself more punch.

Appreciated; I seem to be fairly close to Neversink's ranger build, buuuut I also hosed up and tagged Alira for the bandit I helped in normal. Is 40 extra base health vs. the mana a big enough gently caress up that I should scuttle over or is it less of a big deal in the big picture? Apart from that I have 90% the same picks they seemed to implement but I took a different detour that is a net of about 8 nodes they never scooped; they're all additional damage rather than health. Bah.

Edit: vvvv That's handy to know, thanks.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 21, 2015

LordNat
May 16, 2009

GaistHeidegger posted:

Appreciated; I seem to be fairly close to Neversink's ranger build, buuuut I also hosed up and tagged Alira for the bandit I helped in normal. Is 40 extra base health vs. the mana a big enough gently caress up that I should scuttle over or is it less of a big deal in the big picture? Apart from that I have 90% the same picks they seemed to implement but I took a different detour that is a net of about 8 nodes they never scooped; they're all additional damage rather than health. Bah.

You can always just repick your bandit option using 20 Orbs of Regret and a Amulet if it starts to matter later.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

LordNat posted:

You can always just repick your bandit option using 20 Orbs of Regret and a Amulet if it starts to matter later.

Keep in mind that the cost of obtaining 20 orbs of regret might outweigh the option of just starting over. The bandit repick option is meant to be a last resort.

Anyway, is there any good guides for pricing out there? I've managed to gather quite a collection of semi-useful items on Talisman HC, and I wouldn't mind turning some of it into currency, since while browsing the "shops" on the official forums, I see things that are seemingly worse than the stuff I've got in the stash with buyout prices of 15c or more.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
I tend to just go with "How much am I willing to pay for this" then list it for about 1.2x that in whatever relevant orbs.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

LordNat posted:

I tend to just go with "How much am I willing to pay for this" then list it for about 1.2x that in whatever relevant orbs.

Well, part of the problem is that I have no idea how much I'd pay, since I am poo poo at evaluating stuff/know the value of the orbs. :shobon:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Broken Cog posted:

Well, part of the problem is that I have no idea how much I'd pay, since I am poo poo at evaluating stuff/know the value of the orbs. :shobon:

Go to http://poe.trade/

Search for an item with slightly worse relevant stats (you need to know what the relevant stats are on an item, like life, resists)

Sort by cheapest. Now you can see what people are asking for items that are slightly worse than your item. Your item is probably not worth more than that.

You also have to use your judgment and ignore outliers. If everyone is selling for 2ex except one listing at 3alt, it's probably worth 2ex and not 3alt.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

You'll learn with time and also because you'll have bought said gear for what you're playing. If you truly don't know just search on poe.trade and under shoot the stats from what you have and see what other people have and price accordingly.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Picer posted:

gently caress nugi

Incidentally, now that Nugi's pizza blaster died, Binos are back down to 1.8-2 ex.

But that is still one drat fine dagger.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Picer posted:

gently caress nugi

What in gently caress is this

And it's got an open affix?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

TheRat posted:

Unless you've got a lot of money, in which case you make a 7linked mace.

I'm still new. 7 link?

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Gibbo posted:

I'm still new. 7 link?

You can craft a mace with level 1 blood magic baked in, giving you an effective 7 link. http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vagan,_Weaponmaster

It tends to be less necessary given the mana cost changes, but if you want to be able to fully reserve your mana it can be quite strong.

It is worth noting that http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Hezmana%27s_Bloodlust now also exists on the axe side of things.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

devoir posted:

You can craft a mace with level 1 blood magic baked in, giving you an effective 7 link. http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vagan,_Weaponmaster

It tends to be less necessary given the mana cost changes, but if you want to be able to fully reserve your mana it can be quite strong.

It is worth noting that http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Hezmana%27s_Bloodlust now also exists on the axe side of things.

Wouldn't this work with axes as well?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Count Uvula posted:

Wouldn't this work with axes as well?

The mod can only be crafted on maces and staves.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
On the note of staves, alot of people like to craft +3 fire gems and supported by L1 blood magic, which also lets them 7-link their summon raging spirits.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Too bad SRS is boring as all hell. :/

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

speaking of which, has anyone else found the SRS changes to be really bad at high level? I relogged with my Level 85 SRS witch in standard just to see how it was and clear speed dropped to like a third of what it was, the damage seems just crazy low now

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

They most recent additions to the Dev Q&A clarified poison a bit more. Most stuff is as was believed, but area damage will not double dip when you're using an area skill to deliver poison. Poison is always considered single target effect on each mob. Incidentally, this is true of all degen effects unless they are specifically affecting an area (Caustic Arrow's cloud, Fire Trap's burning ground, probably Ele Prolif since it originates from the corpse, etc.). So you can't double dip area damage on ignites from Flameblast, for example.

Lot of good clarification and questions answered about recent changes:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1528287

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Is spark totem still decent? I really enjoyed playing it back in the day, but not sure if I don't see it much because of how old it is or if it's no longer viable.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
sporking got nerfed, settled into a decent-but-not-great equilibrium for a while, and selfcasting started improving past it. Totems can't use Spell Echo. Totems can't trigger, conversely, triggers mean that selfcasting doesn't cost you the ability to cast utility spells. Totems can't use Herald effects. Reflect got nerfed hard, removing one of the attractions of totems. The benefit of rapidly stacking Shock got nerfed. Shotgunning got taken out entirely.

I suspect a spell totem build today would not use Spark, just because there are now so many other skills that don't need shotgunning to handle single targets, even with the Spark buff. I've seen a bunch of RF totems recently.

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 22, 2015

az
Dec 2, 2005

Any goon reccommended bladefall builds?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mince Pieface posted:

speaking of which, has anyone else found the SRS changes to be really bad at high level? I relogged with my Level 85 SRS witch in standard just to see how it was and clear speed dropped to like a third of what it was, the damage seems just crazy low now

I'm lv87 srs running a 5l +2 staff with srs/melee splash/melee physical/spell echo/item rarity. It's not super fast in t6+ maps but it gets the job done. I could swich out the item rarity for minion damage but I can't sustain it so I need to fix that and I'm sure it will be fine.

I am however getting this guy to 90 then just using him to farm mid level maps with iir and iiq. Going to progress further on a CA guy I made as CA seems to be a lot better. And I like the play style so far.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

az posted:

Any goon reccommended bladefall builds?

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...eMxniBuUDDbXg==

This is my plan for crit ez mom bladefall. Only level 65 so far but I've got 3.8k life and 11k dps with mediocre daggers and awful jewels. Right now I'm about to get eldritch battery and then take zealot's oath once I can get a couple better ES pieces. Then I'm going to start finishing off the life wheel and get doom cast and the extra power charge for more crit.

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

So Reddit nerds did a bunch of testing and it looks like there's a strong chance GGG's Q&A is wrong about area damage and it does double dip poison/ignite if they're caused by an area skill. Game mechanics too hard, devs as confused as players:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/3xsh77/how_is_it_that_projectile_damage_increases/

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

So is Mjolner not that good anymore? I've gotten pretty lucky with drops in Talisman so I was considering looking into one of the cool looking "poo poo everywhere" builds and Mjolner is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

soscannonballs posted:

So is Mjolner not that good anymore? I've gotten pretty lucky with drops in Talisman so I was considering looking into one of the cool looking "poo poo everywhere" builds and Mjolner is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.

The hammer is the cheapest part of a mjolnir build by far.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Good luck trying to kill the Avatar or Thunder as melee.

http://www.twitch.tv/sircrittalot/v/30556946

J
Jun 10, 2001

soscannonballs posted:

Most mjolner builds seem to want voll's devotion, which is really loving expensive and even if you can afford voll's devotion you're better off using it in a cyclone cast on crit discharge build instead of mjolner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

From reddit:

• Locked thread