Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kikas posted:

Don't unranked servers still give you XP?

do they? I don't know. I assume they wouldn't because ...uh....I don't know. :shrug:

because yeah if I can get a mod installed on a server which will still let me rank up gunslinger then I'll play this loving game again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Plan Z posted:

I'm not into modding at all. With the current setup, wouldn't such a mod need to be something done by a server? It doesn't seem like you could just join a game and Hans never spawns.

If you want to do it solo: You can host a lan server pretty easily and with a single click after you set it up for the first time, so you can just set those parameters for your own "server" and then just play on it. At least, in theory.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Mesadoram posted:

How much C4 to kill a FP? I would love to try the demo out, but all the poo poo talking about it is kind of making me not want to try.

I'm level 25 and I usually play on suicidal so your mileage may vary, but to deal with Fleshpounds I throw a grenade to stun them, stick two C4 on one of them (or just the one if they don't spawn in pairs), detonate one, switch to to the RPG and fire a direct rocket, then switch back and detonate the other to avoid the damage cooldown. They'll recover from the grenade by the time you detonate the second C4 and will immediately die to another grenade if they haven't been outright killed by the second C4 because of the lack of players or your teammates actually shooting it.

You just have the issue of being level 20 so you can actually pull this off, I don't think you unlock the skill to stun Fleshpounds until then. The whole thing requires a very specific skillset.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Vatek posted:

Boss fights are by far the worst thing about this series. I go out of my way to get killed on wave 10 because they just sap my will continue playing.

You could switch to medic and play the complex game of "try and hit that player across the map when he seems to be actively avoiding being healed, or other players keep jumping in the way of my darts." I enjoy the meta-game of trying to position myself to be able to see the most players at once so I can heal them all when needed.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Playing with medic, using medic shotgun and a M79 seems to be working well in Hard for me. Healing dudes, and when they get overrun, I shoot a 40mm at them. Darts or 40mm, I got your back.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Attn Tripwire: We solved the Hans problem in mumble tonight.

Replace him with Hans Gruber.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gromit posted:

You could switch to medic and play the complex game of "try and hit that player across the map when he seems to be actively avoiding being healed, or other players keep jumping in the way of my darts." I enjoy the meta-game of trying to position myself to be able to see the most players at once so I can heal them all when needed.

I was on a map where you could snipe across a huge courtyard, so I played Commando. Aside from 200 assists, it completely hosed up Hans by making him run back and forth across half the map before giving up on me, allowing him to be killed on Hard. It still took 10+ minutes.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Psion posted:

Attn Tripwire: We solved the Hans problem in mumble tonight.

Replace him with Hans Gruber.

It seems... Mr. Foster... won't be joining us... for the rest... of his life. :smug:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Uh so when did Foster's tie become a separate, changeable wearable?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Skoll posted:

Just an FYI for people reading this thread and don't have KF2 yet, it's on sale now for :20bux:.

Boss fights aside, is it worth it right now? I'm on the fence having not played much ZF1.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Vahakyla posted:

Playing with medic, using medic shotgun and a M79 seems to be working well in Hard for me. Healing dudes, and when they get overrun, I shoot a 40mm at them. Darts or 40mm, I got your back.

As a Zerker, you are the best kind of medic.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Nostratic posted:

Boss fights aside, is it worth it right now? I'm on the fence having not played much ZF1.

$20 is probably a reasonable price if you like this kind of game. If you're going to burn out really quickly or don't have people to play with, that may be less true.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I had fun during the free weekend, and it stresses me out in the best way... I'll give it some more thought.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
So. I just beat Hans on suicidal.

It was loving stupid and awful and took half an hour, but I'm glad I did it. Seems like the necessary formula to beat Hans is 1) be at least level 20 Berserker (I guess you can be less but it's going to take a lot longer if you can't smash him to the ground, plus the movespeed is hyper-necessary) 2) know all the weapon spawns so you can eventually get some body armor.

Questioner, if you're still reading this, please dear god do something about Hans, and do it fast. I don't want to wait until there's two more maps and a new perk and yadda yadda for the "oh yeah we fixed Hans" hotfix, or worse, waiting that long just to find out Hans is somehow even more powerful.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Nostratic posted:

This game owns bones Hans excepting.
more than worth $20
my main thing when boss fight rolls around is "pray for Pat" because that fight is actually fun as gently caress

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Well, consider this: it's been three weeks since the update, Hans is still broken as ever, and I just want to ask this probably rhetorical question: How long is Tripwire going to stay silent on this? How bad is their PR that they can't even get someone to say "we hear you, we'll look at it when we're not [presumably] on a holiday break, we can't promise anything but we hear you and we'll look into it?" I mean at least acknowledge the issue, right? Make players feel like they aren't just shouting into an empty void to a studio that claims to need their input to balance their early access game.

My position that everyone on the fence should wait and not buy it right now remains unchanged. If voting with your wallet means anything, please vote to make Tripwire tighten the gently caress up on doing literally anything. This is so far beyond acceptable for a loving retail product I cannot even figure out how to state how bad Hans is and how they seem to think it's appropriate to not even say a word about it for this long. Remember, he's been poo poo before this update and this just took his poo poo into the stratosphere. But no, not a word from Tripwire. Not a loving word.

The rest of the game being, mostly, solid - fine. Hans is so bad it is absolutely and completely poisonous to the entire experience. You may think I am exaggerating: I'm not. That's how bad he is.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

You might say he's literally hitler.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
Hitler had the decency to take himself out

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It's no secret that Hans is worse than Hitler.

thejacob
Feb 13, 2014
JUST LIKE IN STALINGRAD FOOLS.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I can't help but notice that Questioner went quiet after the Hans complaint started rolling in. :v:

Not saying I wanna dogpile the man, I'm sure he gets enough poo poo as it is, like Psion says I just wanna hear SOMETHING, either disable him or just do a hotfix to make him easy for a bit till poo poo gets sorted out.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Questioner is probably a smarter PR person than to jump in here and make statements that might in some way be interpreted as some kind of vague promise that aren't supported by whatever roadmap they got for the next half year.

Like say, making a blood oath to delete Hans from the game tomorrow.

Was going to gift this game to a few mates over the holidays but i'll hold off doing that for now - the last few sessions with my regular group were miserable when we got the wrong flip and that's not really the experience i want to introduce new players to.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 23, 2015

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That's a stupid whine. Despite the Hans-flaw, the game is still a lot of fun and someone saying they are holding off on that is gonna scare literally zero devs to do anything differently.
The game is mostly good and most assuredly good and better down the road. Plenty of fun to be had for 20bux. Everyone buy it. I have 200 hours in Killing Floor 1.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

That's a stupid whine. Despite the Hans-flaw, the game is still a lot of fun and someone saying they are holding off on that is gonna scare literally zero devs to do anything differently.
The game is mostly good and most assuredly good and better down the road. Plenty of fun to be had for 20bux. Everyone buy it. I have 200 hours in Killing Floor 1.

Quoting for truth.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Hans just seems like he's the wrong kind of boss on every level for what he looks like. He should be a weak guy who hides behind other zombies and buffs them or something. He's just more of a hulking monster than the other actual hulking monster at the moment for some reason. It's not like he had a very different style to the patriarch either. He's just better at putting on the pressure and way tankier for no reason.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

randombattle posted:

Hans just seems like he's the wrong kind of boss on every level for what he looks like. He should be a weak guy who hides behind other zombies and buffs them or something. He's just more of a hulking monster than the other actual hulking monster at the moment for some reason. It's not like he had a very different style to the patriarch either. He's just better at putting on the pressure and way tankier for no reason.

It would be a lot cooler if the Hans fight was fundamentally different from Patty. A weak scientist running around trying to activate poison gas bombs that get randomly generated around the level while Zeds are spawning might be a cool, but hard to balance fight. You'd have to balance defending the gas bombs vs actually hunting down Hans. Maybe make it so Hans only needs to activate 4 out of 7 bombs or something like that, so you can't just camp the bombs.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Psion posted:

Well, consider this: it's been three weeks since the update, Hans is still broken as ever, and I just want to ask this probably rhetorical question: How long is Tripwire going to stay silent on this? How bad is their PR that they can't even get someone to say "we hear you, we'll look at it when we're not [presumably] on a holiday break, we can't promise anything but we hear you and we'll look into it?" I mean at least acknowledge the issue, right? Make players feel like they aren't just shouting into an empty void to a studio that claims to need their input to balance their early access game.

Maybe it's cause we're shouting at the empty void at the foums dot somethingawful dot com? I wonder if there's as much outrage at Hans in the TWI and the official Steam forums (also I think that TWI disregards everything outside their own forums so maybe it would be best to whine there).

I mean if there's one thing to judge, it's that Alienware stream where we saw the Devs actually play (on normal lol). And one Dev said "Many people say 'Oh Hans, he's so hard and stupid' while he's not. When he charges you, you just need somebody else to get between you and Hans and hit him in the face to interrupt the charge" and he meant the melee attack.
WHICH IS loving DUMB YO. After seeing what Hans does to a player, how "get in the way of his melee attack" is supposed to pop into anyone's mind? "Oh he slaughtered our 175 HP berserker like it was noting, better bodyblock him next time he targets someone who isn't me" is a thought that has NEVER occured to anyone. All Hans does (and Patty) screams "get the gently caress away", but then there's this one attack when we're supposed to get into his face? And it's the one that one-combos anyone brave enough to do so?
I feel like Hans should be deadly at range and tried to keep you from closing in, like he used to be. With his old damages on gas, grenades and smgs, he was pretty good at that, and still a threat. Now he's got an attack that spews gas when players surround him, so that old strat of swarming him with Berserkers is less effective. So just remove the melee attack and make Hans unknockable to the ground (he has his exoskeleton to keep him upright), and pump up the other damage numbers. That way he'll be good at keeping you at bay, still have the gas attack if people try to swarm him, and he'll get in your face only when he needs it, for healing.

All in all, he does feel like TWI just balanced him around a borderline strat of a lvl 20 perfect parry berserker that happens like I dunno, 10% of the time. And all they've been doing to discourage this strat, has only made that the One and Only True Strat.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I was on a map where you could snipe across a huge courtyard, so I played Commando. Aside from 200 assists, it completely hosed up Hans by making him run back and forth across half the map before giving up on me, allowing him to be killed on Hard. It still took 10+ minutes.

Last time I successfully killed Hans on hard with pubbies only two of us were up and we ended up just running in circles taking shots at him. It took 10+ minutes and we were down to our pistols by the end.

I only saw it through because I was talking to some friends of mine on mumble but it was torture.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Vahakyla posted:

This.

Listen, I agree than Hans is poo poo and No Fun At All, but you get 10 waves before the boss to enjoy (unless you're a dork who plays 4rounds), and then there's still a chance you pull Pat instead of Hans. And if you pull Hans, leave the game and start a new one.

You should not HAVE to do that, but for right now and for $20, Hans is not a big deal.

Fix Hans, Tripwire

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Theta Zero posted:

I'm level 25 and I usually play on suicidal so your mileage may vary, but to deal with Fleshpounds I throw a grenade to stun them, stick two C4 on one of them (or just the one if they don't spawn in pairs), detonate one, switch to to the RPG and fire a direct rocket, then switch back and detonate the other to avoid the damage cooldown. They'll recover from the grenade by the time you detonate the second C4 and will immediately die to another grenade if they haven't been outright killed by the second C4 because of the lack of players or your teammates actually shooting it.

You just have the issue of being level 20 so you can actually pull this off, I don't think you unlock the skill to stun Fleshpounds until then. The whole thing requires a very specific skillset.

That seems like a lot of effort, but it gets the job done.

I thought it was kind of weird that they have a damage cool down on the C4, but then I remembered all the C4 we put down to one shot the boss in the first game.

We only have ourselves to blame :smith:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I've been working on leveling my Demo (just hit 10), and I just don't see the value in C4 simply because of how limited your supply is. 4 wads of it really doesn't stretch far in the later waves, and it's pretty expensive to restock. But Demo and Zerk are my worst classes by far so maybe I'm just not cut out for explosives.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kikas posted:

Maybe it's cause we're shouting at the empty void at the foums dot somethingawful dot com? I wonder if there's as much outrage at Hans in the TWI and the official Steam forums (also I think that TWI disregards everything outside their own forums so maybe it would be best to whine there).

I've seen the sentiment of "gently caress hans" at TWI's forums and even the bastion of evil known as reddit. I ain't dumb enough to read the Steam forums at all ever, but it's not "just here." Plan Z already drafted a post he was going to put in front of TWI, I haven't just sat around complaining here, it's not like the news isn't making its way to them.

also I have to say, again, Hans has been bad for a long time. This latest patch sent him into bullshit overdrive, but he wasn't exactly fun before this either. He was more reasonably manageable, but never really fun and a lot of the balance complaints are the same ones. There's no way this is somehow an unknown thing for TWI.

Kikas posted:

I mean if there's one thing to judge, it's that Alienware stream

oh yeah that stream was hilarious. Hans is a joke on Normal. like if that's all TWI plays on internally no wonder they don't seem to think he's a problem. Also I wonder if they understand that for the rest of us who don't regularly play on a LAN (their internal testing has to be on one, right?) that Hans strikes so fast latency alone will let him kill you even if you try to execute the perfect melee bodyblock.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 23, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
What is it with co-op shooters and their devs never being able to play above normal?

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
I don't work in PR and my posts on SA are purely in my free time because I enjoy SA. But, really, I've been on vacation binging on Star Wars, curry, whiskey and table top RPG's for the last week and I'm going to keep enjoying my vacation time. I'll catch up with the goon faithfuls and loyal opposition once I get back to work and put my thinking cap on instead of my drinking cap.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Crabtree posted:

What is it with co-op shooters and their devs never being able to play above normal?

Oh come on, at leat Overkill balances Payday 2 around... somewhere between Death Wish and Overkill, but it's not normal :v:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Kikas posted:

There are complaints against him on Reddit and Steam, but it's usually not well-voiced, and gets drowned out by "I beat him solo" or "We need more perks." A few extra voices would help. Agreed on just posting here, too. Devs regularly read Reddit and the Steam forums, yet every time you hear a Goon tell someone they're posting in those, other Goons just say "Don't post on Reddit" and keep the same complaints here. Goons who have posted on Steam and Reddit boards have actually gotten game ideas implemented. It would be nice if there was some kind of official way of feedback on their site, too (I remember the CS: Source beta had a feedback system built into the game).

Psion posted:

I've seen the sentiment of "gently caress hans" at TWI's forums and even the bastion of evil known as reddit. I ain't dumb enough to read the Steam forums at all ever, but it's not "just here." Plan Z already drafted a post he was going to put in front of TWI, I haven't just sat around complaining here, it's not like the news isn't making its way to them.

I put in that thread, but it got buried a few pages with no posts. Couldn't even get a bump from anyone here. The post where a pubbie wants a BAR as a gun and other pubbies got mad at him still gets daily posts, though. And Jesus, Reddit is not bad. The only problem is that you have to be really clear and concise with your posts, because they can't read in between the lines very well. Otherwise, I've found lots of people who agree, they're just drowned out. There's even a thread now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/killingfloor/comments/3xxwxx/did_they_buff_hans/

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 23, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

that's dumb. I'll go reg and bump it.

e: done, pending mod approval

On a different note, I've also been looking at mutators/mods for temporarily solving this issue by temporarily removing Hans. I'm not a UE modder at all though so a lot of it is going over my head but I'm looking.

according to this boss hp mutator which I'm also interested in, mutators disable perk progression. Not ideal.

so a non-mutator choice seems to be the way to go but :confused:

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 23, 2015

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I can't post on the TWI forums because of a database error making me unable to loving log in.

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

Psion posted:

e: done, pending mod approval

I guess you could say that you're... one in the pipe :slick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Colosmicon posted:

I guess you could say that you're... one in the pipe :slick: