Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Don't see why they can't at least try him in absentia; legally attempt to summon him and have a dedicated set of defenders

...it'd still probably end up half a show trial, but you can't reasonably argue that these kinds of executions aren't extremely problematic/flat out illegal from a rule of law perspective.

The flat out illegal one was when we also executed his 16 year old son and everybody else sitting in the same cafe because why leave a loose end around, which is why we pinky-swore we didn't do that one on purpose

just like nobody was actually responsible for blowing up that doctors without borders hospital after all~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

DrProsek posted:

and b) a staunch Republican doesn't really have any room to criticize a president for extrajudicial killings.

Why not - did Bush drone strike US citizens?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Please highlight where Bush would have hesitated on this, considering the drone program was started under his watch, as well as the black torture sites. I doubt he would've done any differently.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's 2015 and a Woman is Being Charged with Attempted Murder for Using a Coathanger for an Abortion

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Joementum posted:

At the US Naval Observatory: a gingerbread version of the Joseph R. Biden Amtrak Station in Wilmington, Delaware.

Truth, beauty & light yet remain in the world.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Please highlight where Bush would have hesitated on this

"Please prove Bush wouldn't have done something he didn't do"

I.... uh.....

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So that 355+ mass shooting number you've heard everywhere....uh....might just be coming from Reddit

quote:

The statistics now being highlighted in the news come primarily from shootingtracker.com, a website built by members of a Reddit forum supporting gun control called GunsAreCool. That site aggregates news stories about shooting incidents — of any kind — in which four or more people are reported to have been either injured or killed.

It’s not clear why the Redditors use this much broader criteria. The founder of the “shooting tracker” project, who currently goes by the handle “Billy Speed,” told me it was his choice: “Three years ago I decided, all by myself, to change the United States’ definition of mass shooting.” It’s also not clear how many of those stories — many of them from local outlets, including scant detail — are accurate.

He gets into more detail here: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/12/no-there-were-not-355-mass-shootings-this-year

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

Please highlight where Bush would have hesitated on this, considering the drone program was started under his watch, as well as the black torture sites. I doubt he would've done any differently.

You can't prove a negative so this is a dumb statement, especially when there is plenty to criticize the GOP on like their candidates advocating for the same poo poo.

The asshat in question may or mat not believe that an extrajudicial killing is moral or allowable in the given circumstances, but you're letting him define the moral highground over two incidents that are minor in totality and not without precedent. Plenty of Americans have been killed by Americans in a wartime setting. Moreover, plenty of Americans are killed by Americans in authoritative roles every week, extra-judicially. The end result of any conversation on this is that no one is the paragon of moral excellence, and by extension, no category of people. Therefore even having the discussion is academic at best. What really matters is the shades of grey that people like to avoid because it isn't easy, and given the context of our politics, it's undeniable that the current GOP is quite a bit more black than white, and more so than the Democrats for any number of reasons.

Boon fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 22, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

"Please prove Bush wouldn't have done something he didn't do"

I.... uh.....

Bush didn't -- as far as we know -- do it. BUt that doesn't imply that he wouldn't, or that the entirety of the current Republican party outside of some fringers like the Pauls wouldn't also. And as per usual, you're ducking around the real issues and trying to claim a moral high ground, rather than, as usual, admit you were wrong.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
:siren:PURESTRAIN:siren:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think I can offer Ted Cruz a fair compromise - we'll build a wall around Texas

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Boon posted:

The asshat in question may or mat not believe that an extrajudicial killing is moral or allowable

Well, I can formulate a post without a lame personal attack, at a minimum.

quote:

Moreover, plenty of Americans are killed by Americans in authoritative roles every week, extra-judicially.

Sure this seems like a pretty solid parallel to a police action:

"Sir, there's an armed terrorist in that cafe having lunch with his family"

*blows up entire cafe and everyone in it*

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Sure this seems like a pretty solid parallel to a police action:

"Sir, there's an armed terrorist in that cafe having lunch with his family"

*blows up entire cafe and everyone in it*

What the police lack in scale, I imagine they make up for in frequency.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

I'll see your gold standard and raise you one tub of aqua regia.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Given the rate of civilian casualties in Bush's drone strikes, it's not credible that he would have stopped short of drone strikes that would kill someone with a US passport. It did not seem to matter if the killing the victims was lawful or justified.

Further, he approved the kidnapping and torture of foreign nationals in violation of international law. If you commit one crime against humanity, I ain't gonna give you the benefit of the doubt you won't do another.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

I wanted to quote this with a witty remark but the story itself is funny enough.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

UberJew posted:

The flat out illegal one was when we also executed his 16 year old son and everybody else sitting in the same cafe because why leave a loose end around, which is why we pinky-swore we didn't do that one on purpose

just like nobody was actually responsible for blowing up that doctors without borders hospital after all~

Its not an execution if you eliminate a terrorist target. Don't like it? Don't surround yourself with terrorists.

Last I recall, we nuked a Japanese city which held American POWs and won the war, saving tens of millions of lives in the process. There are more important issues in war than a few collateral damages.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 22, 2015

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

My Imaginary GF posted:

Its not an execution if you eliminate a terrorist target. Don't like it? Don't surround yourself with terrorists.

This is the platonic MIGF post.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Why not $2m? It's all WORTHLESS FIAT, after all.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

He's not Rand Paul, Joe.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

My Imaginary GF posted:

He's not Rand Paul, Joe.

Yes he is.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

My Imaginary GF posted:

Nah our excuse on that one was that it was made in error (who made the error? :iiam: nobody was actually responsible in the end just like with the dwb hospital~ ) and we were targeting an egyptian terrorist who wasn't there at all

keep up with the official story, friend

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

UberJew posted:

Nah our excuse on that one was that it was made in error (who made the error? :iiam: nobody was actually responsible in the end just like with the dwb hospital~ ) and we were targeting an egyptian terrorist who wasn't there at all

keep up with the official story, friend

At this point it's pretty well established that Rahm Emanuel is a lovely liar.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Joementum posted:

Cruz only wants to crucify us on a crux simplex of gold.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Bill Simmons joins the D&D backlash against Nate Silver.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
dude is clearly just posting bs without thing. people keep replying to him continuing the circle of idiotic bs. good job d&d

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Debate rating are out and they're...7.85 million?! :eyepop:

For comparison's sake, the most watched primary debate in 2012 had 7.63 million viewers, and the most watched primary debate in 2008 had 10.8 million viewers. 7.85m seems pretty good considering the scheduling and the whole Hillary's Coronation meme.

Would you say this is good news...for Hillary?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I think TDD is just angry that Obama will never have a catastrophic foreign policy fuckup that will temper the Democrats' election chances for decades to come.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Fiction posted:

I think TDD is just angry that Obama will never have a catastrophic foreign policy fuckup that will temper the Democrats' election chances for decades to come.

Let me tell you about the upcoming Michael Bay film.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Logikv9 posted:

If it were up to the GOP, we'd be storming in there with cavalry. Military is movies for them and if you don't get immediate results in 1 month or less you're doing it wrong.

This would be a bad idea, we don't have as many horses as we used to.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Here's a video of Bernie Sanders getting confused about what the words "data breach","bug" and "vulnerability" mean. He also gets confused on timelines (he thinks his team got Clinton data in October).

He's also confused on how the Clinton voter data got into his campaign's hands:

quote:

Sanders: as a result of a breach by the DNC vendor, information came into our campaign, we didn't go out and take it

CT: it magically came there or you had a staffer...

Sanders: YES! That's what the breach...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byGezH745bA&feature=youtu.be&t=3m53s

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Joementum posted:

I actually watched the review and the "Pentagon propaganda" aspect is even funnier than I thought. It's because Rey is a strong woman, so this is obviously an attempt to indoctrinate America into supporting the decision to allow women into combat roles in the US military.

Also, the Prequels were all about how the government engages in FALSE FLAGS!!! It's Infowars, so they've gotta work in the FALSE FLAG somehow.

I'm pretty disappointed, that's some surface-level, scrub-tier film reading. I want to see a detailed, Zizek-style essay about why The Force Awakens is an endorsement of Obama's ISIS strategy.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Pffff. That's nothing. The Shining is Kubrick apologizing for helping NASA fake the moon landing according to a guy in the documentary Room 217.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I thought this was the entire point of their number though? Like they specifically counted their mass shootings as four or more victims and the official numbers are five (I think?) fatalities.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

deoju posted:

Pffff. That's nothing. The Shining is Kubrick apologizing for helping NASA fake the moon landing according to a guy in the documentary Room 217.

That's kind of tame by Cinemo Discusso standards.

Shakenbaker posted:

I thought this was the entire point of their number though? Like they specifically counted their mass shootings as four or more victims and the official numbers are five (I think?) fatalities.

The Reddit standard (oh god) considers injuries of three or more to count as a mass shooting. The FBI considers four or more KILLED to be a mass shooting. The former also disregards the intention behind the act, lumping in crime figures and crimes of familial passion and the like.

Here's the FBI's definition, according to their website.

quote:

An active shooter is an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a populated area

This further separates the two figures, by focusing more on the intent of the perpetrator. I mean, that still means we're getting a shitload of mass shooting events, compared to other developed countries. 6 or more is crazy. But 355 is plainly not right, and contributes to a state of hysteria in our culture about the subject.

EDIT: The governmental standard has actually been reduced to THREE killed, not four.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

GalacticAcid posted:

Bill Simmons joins the D&D backlash against Nate Silver.

Good, Nate Silver followed Gladwell up his own rear end into irrelevance.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SSNeoman posted:

Same. Due process doesn't fly out the window just because of varying degrees of "terrorist sympathies". If you have evidence, arrest and send him to trial. If you don't then oh well you can't. I know that's not how the country functions nowadays, but it should be.

I don't get this argument. Due process isn't a citizen-only thing.

The selective chauvinism of the left on this issue is just idiotic

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Mulva posted:

Honestly, you see this happen all the time in academia as well as the miscellaneous sphere of intelligensia that circles academe. Someone comes up with a single good idea or model (in Silver's case, a basic polling model that, shocker, actually controls for polling house accuracy), everyone sucks their dick for a few years and throws accolades and money at them, eventually their bubble bursts as people slowly realize that a single good model/idea is not intrinsically a predictor of future performance for, say, running a major media site that revolves around turning "data"/sports stats into "news" as fast as humanly possible. (Really good in-depth data analysis and research can take years.)

Then they hang around for a decade or so since their name still possesses sufficient amounts of intrinsic value that they can keep riding on that legacy. (Nate Silver will be called into CNN for every year leading up to the next two elections at the least.)

See also: Nassim Taleb, Jared Diamond, etc.

This phenomenon also extends to various moguls (Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Elon Musk), but since their success is based around ideas/products that generate large amounts of money, a self-perpetuating force if there ever was one, their dicks are usually sucked into eternity. And even if you start to poke holes in their supposed unbelievable brilliance, the fact remains that they had enormous amounts of money at one point in time, which is sufficient for them to be designated as Idols of Innovation™ by the majority of the populace.

EDIT: See also: Donald Trump. How ever did I forget that one.

...I actually still like Nate Silver and The Signal and the Noise is actually a good read but god fivethirtyeight.com is such poo poo ._.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 23, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
oh good we're talking about drones again I get to repost my standard "the extrajudicial argument is total bullshit"

The Iron Rose posted:

I look at [the Drone Program] and see a comparatively inexpensive program, with flaws, that nevertheless allows incredible flexibility for us in combat without putting boots on the ground.

I also think that [several of the standard talking points] are overstated and without much, if any, factual accuracy. I've done work for the ACLU. I know the talking points, and there is one that really bothers me, though it's so broad that it may as well be one and a half. Its persistent repetition annoys me and is very hard to defend on a solely legal basis. The talking point is as follows:

1) That the four Americans killed by drone strikes had their due process rights violated.

This forms the basis of much objection to drone warfare, at least in politics. The rest of the people who have been killed in drone strikes aren't American and so we don't care nearly as much because we're asinine like that. Regardless, it's a separate issue.

First, if there’s anyone here whose opposition to drone strikes is centered in the fact that they involve the use of high-flying, slow-moving, remote-controlled aircraft armed with laser-guided missiles, please stand up and say so now, so that we can all kick your rear end for being such an idiot. Does it matter if that Hellfire missile streaking down at a U.S. citizen whom the government has judged to be a threat to the Nation is launched from a Predator drone or an FA-18 Super Hornet? For that matter, is it at all an issue if death is inflicted by a missile, a bomb, an artillery shell, a rocket, or a bullet? Are we concerned some of the various ways that American citizens might be killed by their government are improper — or is the fact that their government might be able to kill them at all? I submit that it’s the latter: The issue here is the government’s use of military force against its own citizens, and the use of such military force alone; there is really no other issue at stake.

Which brings us to the main question: What limitations does — or should — the Federal government face in dealing with American citizens who are engaged in hostilities against the United States, either at home (eg., in an insurrection) or abroad (eg., by joining a foreign military or paramilitary force that seeks to wage war [lawfully or otherwise] against the Nation)?

Let me suggest to you that Grand Juries offer us no succor here. Just as there is no Constitutional basis here in America for trial in absentia, there is no basis in our law or traditions for the issuance of a “death warrant”, either by a judge or by a Grand Jury. Our judiciary can only issue indictments and arrest (or search) warrants, and our military (save for our Coast Guard and National Guard units not under Federal control) cannot execute such court orders (the Posse Comitatus) unless Congress enacts a special bill authorizing them to do so, or unless conditions exist to trigger the provisions of the only standing law that provides an exception to the foregoing prohibition (i.e., the Insurrection Act of 1807. Moreover, even in circumstances where our military is empowered to take a direct hand in law enforcement (such as in the event of an insurrection), requiring due process before force can be employed means the claim can be made that virtually anyone it kills in the course of ordinary operations has been “murdered” in violation of the law, since persons who openly bear arms against their government generally cannot be tried and convicted before lethal fire is brought to bear against them.

And keep in mind: You can’t insert the civilian judiciary into the military chain of command — because that can’t happen under the very Constitution we’re supposed to seek to uphold. Any effort to try and do so will end in failure, if only because the judiciary itself will rule that it has no basis for such participation, either in the text of the Constitution or in our legal precedents. The power to exercise command authority over the military in its actions against all adversaries, foreign and domestic — including the power to choose its targets and tell it when to strike them — rests solely with the President of the United States. Congress may properly exercise oversight, demanding accountability (and thus providing a check); but the judiciary? They have no role in authorizing targets or establishing rules of engagement, which is essentially what you’re talking about.

To those who say that US citizens cannot be targeted by military strikes, that military strikes against US citizens is a violation of due process, the logical extension of such of a belief is absurd.

If you believe such, then U.S. citizens cannot be targeted at all, even if they openly bear arms against the U.S. government, since there is not — and under our Constitution, cannot be — any legal framework within the confines of military practice for observing their due process rights. Thus, 4,708 U.S. citizens were unlawfully murdered by Federal forces over a three day period in the forests and fields of rural Southeastern Pennsylvania 151 years ago this July, and the 90,766 surviving Federal agents who perpertrated the crime — along with the hundreds of government officials complicit in their actions, including even the President himself, should have been tried and convicted for their murder.

This is why I call it the “Johnny Rebel Rule”: Looking back at the U.S. Civil War, I think that Lincoln largely got it right. He ran into problems with the habeus corpus — understandable problems, given that Confederate agitators were actively trying to raise armed mobs to cut off the Capitol and overthrow the Federal government at a time when the city was undefended and Congress was not in session to pass the appropriate statute needed to secure the Federal District’s lines of communication (nor had there been any prior ruling by the courts on how suspension of the habeus corpus in the course of a rebellion might work) — but otherwise, I can’t see a problem with most of his basic wartime decisions.

Insurrection Act of 1807 posted:

"Whenever the President considers that unlawful obstructions, combinations, or assemblages, or rebellion against the authority of the United States, make it impracticable to enforce the laws of the United States in any State or Territory by the ordinary course of judicial proceedings, he may call into Federal service such of the militia of any State, and use such of the armed forces, as he considers necessary to enforce those laws or to suppress the rebellion.The President, by using the militia or the armed forces, or both, or by any other means, shall take such measures as he considers necessary to suppress, in a State, any insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination, or conspiracy, if it—

1) so hinders the execution of the laws of that State, and of the United States within the State, that any part or class of its people is deprived of a right, privilege, immunity, or protection named in the Constitution and secured by law, and the constituted authorities of that State are unable, fail, or refuse to protect that right, privilege, or immunity, or to give that protection; or

(2) opposes or obstructs the execution of the laws of the United States or impedes the course of justice under those laws.

In any situation covered by clause (1), the State shall be considered to have denied the equal protection of the laws secured by the Constitution.

Given that President Lincoln did not accept secession as a legal act, the declaration by Southern authorities that Federal law no longer held sway within their States and the assertion that the residents of other (non-Confederate) States were now no longer entitled to equal standing with their residents before the law constituted a violation of Section 333, Clause (1), and therefore meant that the Confederacy was denying “equal protection of the laws secured by the Constitution”, as asserted in the final line of Title 10, Section 333 (above).

So now the question arises: Having determined that a rebellion was under way in several Southern States (seven at the time he took office, IIRC), was the President required to seek further legal support for his actions from the Federal courts, or could he simply order the military into action against the Confederacy? This is crucial to an understanding of the President’s authority and obligations when it comes to the use of force against American citizens, since the Federal government never accepted the Confederate legal theory that its soldiers and sailors were now citizens of a new sovereign nation, the Confederate States of America; consequently any armed action undertaken against Confederate forces in the field or Confederate ships at sea would necessarily be a use of lethal force against American citizens absent judicial authorization.

My view is that the citizenship status of Confederate military personel in no way required the Federal military to take any further measures to ensure them due process under the 5th Amendment to the Constitution — at least beyond observance of the general laws of warfare as understood internationally at the time. The Federal government was not required to consult a Grand Jury before sending the Army of the Potomac into Virginia to do battle with Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia; neither President Lincoln nor Commodore David Farragut were required to seek any kind of “warrant” before the West Gulf Blockading Squadron bombarded Forts Jackson and St. Phillip, killing 782 U.S. citizens en route to siezing control of the City of New Orleans. On his authority as President, Lincoln could use the military to do battle with “all enemies foreign and domestic”; under his authority, the military could freely do battle with and forcibly dispatch those enemies without any kind of prior judicial consent.

I submit that things are no different today: If crazy right-wingers rose up in revolt against the Federal government and sought to remove the Nation’s duly elected President from power by force of arms, President Obama could order the military to take action against them, up to and including ordering the delivery of air and artillery strikes on rebel forces and positions — an authority that covers unmanned drone strikes as well. No prior warrant or indictment is required for the military to be used in this fashion; the Constitutional check that exists on the President’s authority to act in this way resides with Congress, which has the legal right and duty to make certain that the President is acting within the bounds of the Constitution and the law.

And as for the courts, they have no place in such matters — as they themselves have ruled again and again. When it comes to the conduct of war, it is a matter between the legislative and executive branches of government, wherein Congress lays down the ground rules for war and the President conducts it in accordance with his best judgement.

From everything I’ve seen and heard about the drone program, “serious efforts” are undertaken to properly identify targets and strike them when such attacks are least likely to cause harm to non-combatants — or when such strikes will cause the fewest non-combatant casualties, whatever the case may be. This is why strikes are often directed at vehicles on the road or isolated buildings in the countryside, rather than just hauling off and nailing the target whenever and wherever he or she may be.

Are mistakes made? Sure. Are non-combatants killed? Absolutely. But unless you’re holding out for a standard of zero collateral damage — no non-combatant casualties at all — you’re not going to see performance much better than what we’re achieving with our current drone program.

Why do I say this? Because in some 450+ attack sorties, we’ve killed a bit more than 4,700 people — just over 10 casualties per sortie. That’s well below the casualty rate seen in other aerial campaigns; over time, as drone technology improves, that rate is likely to decline further still.

But here’s the thing: You’re never going to see zero collateral damage — no non-combatant casualties at all — unless you ban aerial warfare altogether. And that’s just not going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Mulva posted:

Nate Silver is good at one thing: using polls to project presidential elections. Once he can start doing that again D&D will come crawling back.

• Locked thread