Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Eej posted:

A phrase I never thought I'd see written.

He has to be trolling, no one would be glad to move to Surrey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

Actually it's kind of lovely that our incompetent, corrupt and selfish political class can manipulate the majority of the voting population with stupid culture war issues.

The entire western world is in the process of slowly but consistently downgrading living standards, the environment is falling apart, and democratic national sovereignty is basically impossible because of how international trade and investment rules have been structured. Any political party that isn't addressing those issues is part of the problem. Insofar as the Liberals get away with not focusing on those issues - either by ignoring them or by taking ineffective half measures - it's a bad thing.

All these "conservatives are mad" articles are the political equivalent of eating comfort food. It's an acceptable indulgence from time to time but if you keep doing it then it becomes really self destructive. The people loving this country up live in Rosedale not rural Alberta.

Merry Christmas buddy.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

THC posted:

You're right, the internet certainly doesn't act as a vector for propaganda and disinformation and surveillance and political suppression, it's just a big ole information utopia up in here. Powerful interests got nothing on the people with Internet connections.

Warning: :words:

I didn't say that, poo poo lord. At no point did I say that all the information is safe, honest, or not inflammatory. And I didn't say that powerful people haven't tried to restrict it. But every time they try many more powerful companies come out of the woodwork and start throwing tantrums because they're acutely aware that the Internet is the vector that makes them gobs of money if not their only way GOOGLE. It's probably one of the few public goods that Western Governments have had a hard time touching and honestly are afraid too now.

Look at what is happening in the United States right now. The Internet has basically let all the fascists to finally find each other and they've erected a horrible Trump beast in their desperate fight against progress. While the Internet has made it easier for these assholes to find each other, it's also made it substantially easier to see them in public and as such the Internet has created a separate back lash on a measure that probably would not have existed back in 2005. The Internet makes it easier to see these poo poo heads gently caress up and thus makes it easier to discredit. Almost all rallies are now online. Everything is recorded. Facebook and Online news comments are painting people as the racists they are. I'm not saying it's all sunshine and rainbows. Because the fact that I can watch people die in almost real time proves that it's not. But look at what's happening to Grant here in NB. I've seen at least three petitions on my Facebook to have the doc reinstated, not to mention the cbc and cartoons. That was stuff submitted from other people that came down my wall.

It's a brave new world. There's no point in automatically being pessimistic when we're in the middle of a cultural phenomenon that hasn't happened since the printing press and writing before it. There's no way to know where the Internet is going to go. It's an almost practical "wild west". If you go into it with that mentality, it's only as negative as you allow yourself to witness. I choose to believe that if Trudeau really did anything awful, Canadian Internet would erupt and that poo poo would spin pretty quickly. I mean, how many people threw a tantrum because Trudeau admitted his refugee numbers weren't realistic?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

Merry Christmas buddy.

You meant to say Happy Holidays but we will let this slide this time

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Right, meanwhile one of the guys on the forefront of the techno-utopian revolution has given up, saying that the Internet is fundamentally a system of control, and it's only as much of a wild west as its owners want it to be. Which is to say, not very much, and less so every day.

“The internet is poo poo today. It’s broken. It was probably always broken, but it’s worse than ever.... We have already lost.”

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

You're dumb if you think corruption is going to go away and Liberals will stop Libbing "because the Internet." If anything it gives them and their backers more tools with which to manage public opinion.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Not Pirate Bay! If only there weren't a hundred other torrent sites and stream sites that fill the void every time it goes down. And then comes back, again. For I think the 4th time now? So much oppression.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

THC posted:

You're dumb if you think corruption is going to go away and Liberals will stop Libbing "because the Internet." If anything it gives them and their backers more tools with which to manage public opinion.

Again, your knee jerking is awful. No one thinks corruption will disappear because the Internet exists. It just makes it much harder to be obvious about it as the scores of resignations from multiple countries in the last decade have shown.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Actually read what he says and it kind of destroys whatever argument you're making, "the internet is so big now who knows where it'll go!"

I can give you a hint where it'll go: more and more power into the hands of fewer and fewer people. :capitalism:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I mean just look at BC, our government is heinously corrupt and quite blatantly so, and we have Steam and Netflix, yet they still win. Partly thanks to their targeted spending of public dollars on social media ads about their great plan to create jobs and secure our tomorrow with a strong economy and clean LNG. But mostly because the public still get their analysis from traditional media outlets owned by Liberal supporters, and the remainder get theirs from Collective Evolution or whatever nutso clickbait blog.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
lol @ drivers

*screams through a red light at full speed* ugh these cyclists are so dangerous! *phone in one hand, latte in the other, steers with knees* loving pedestrians

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

THC posted:

Actually read what he says and it kind of destroys whatever argument you're making, "the internet is so big now who knows where it'll go!"

I can give you a hint where it'll go: more and more power into the hands of fewer and fewer people. :capitalism:

I did and it's a really dumb article. The only real example he points too of exploitation was Facebook in Africa bring people there the internet and then charging them and forcing them to use their service. That's a lovely thing to do, but it doesn't loving surprise me that a private company would force customers to use their service. That is not a new loving concept. That situation is on the governments of the countries that Facebook is doing this in to act upon it. Also, ironically, if it wasn't for the Internet you wouldn't have seen that article. The only other example of something bad is ACTA, which has tons of information on mostly because of people like him. The rest of it was basically him throwing a defeatist sad sack story because surprise surprise companies will use the internet to make money in countries that follow capitalism. Who would have saw that coming? As for power, Google only controls most of the search market because their engine was best. You can still use other engines, they just don't bring up as many hits. It's not on Google, nor would they care, that people prefer them. Since it's a free service, it ultimately doesn't matter.

The only companies that have any real interest in restricting the internet are ISPs and that's simply because they control the hardware. If the internet was nationalized as a utility, capitalism on the internet wouldn't matter because there isn't anything actually stopping you from doing anything except the government and the ISPs.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

THC posted:

I mean just look at BC, our government is heinously corrupt and quite blatantly so, and we have Steam and Netflix, yet they still win. Partly thanks to their targeted spending of public dollars on social media ads about their great plan to create jobs and secure our tomorrow with a strong economy and clean LNG. But mostly because the public still get their analysis from traditional media outlets owned by Liberal supporters, and the remainder get theirs from Collective Evolution or whatever nutso clickbait blog.

Would you have known how corrupt they are without the Internet in its current form?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Probably yes because most of the revelations have come from whistleblowers and journalists who would otherwise be working for the Georgia Straight or the CBC or whatever, doing pretty old fashioned work like filing access to information requests and poring over dusty public records which existed before we had Netflix. There's no magic there.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 22, 2015

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Gus Hobbleton posted:

lol @ drivers

*screams through a red light at full speed* ugh these cyclists are so dangerous! *phone in one hand, latte in the other, steers with knees* loving pedestrians

:golfclap:

Amazing trick the MoT doesn't want you to know, you can change lanes on the highway with your knees.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

THC posted:

Probably yes because most of the revelations have come from whistleblowers speaking to journalists who would otherwise be working for the Georgia Straight or the CBC or whatever. There's no magic there.

And were you reading CBC on the Internet back in 2004 or 2005? Because I doubt your parents were. If you weren't, you were using the old media that you disparage.

Stretch Marx fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 22, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Yes my parents used the Internet in the mid-2000s. In the 90s, even. I'm showing my age here but the CBC also has radio and television news broadcasts in case you weren't aware.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 22, 2015

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

THC posted:

You would be wrong. I'm showing my age here but the CBC also has radio and television news broadcasts in case you weren't aware.

gently caress, stop editing your crap. Think your argument out then write it, not the other way around.

Radio and Television back in the early 2000s was only beginning to feel the pressure of the Internet. They were still the main media outlets for the vast majority of people. Of course they still broadcasted the news... You know, the same media outlets you are now disparaging. How do you prefer to get your news now and between radio, tv, and internet sources which are you more likely to believe given the amount that you can possible receive from any of the them? I basically consider them all the same in terms of quality, but the fact that I can get so many versions of the same story from the Internet makes it easier to get an idea of what actually is happening.

-e- You should probably make a thread if you really want to debate whether the internet has or has not made it easier to uncover corruption, because this is derailing the thread. I say you, because I choose to be optimistic because I can't predict the future anymore than you, and would rather not give myself an ulcer worrying about it. I do not care enough to get upset.

Stretch Marx fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 22, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

You now get 5 different Liberal perspectives whereas before you got 5 different Liberal perspectives after buying all the newspapers. Great. Those politicians are really under the microscope now.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The big difference is that I get guys like you.

And Helsing, and ikantski.

On balance I like this brave new world.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

To hear this guy tell it, we only just got the ability to post word diarrhea on message boards. The mid-2000s were a dark age of Realplayer embeds and horse-drawn modems.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

You meant to say Happy Holidays but we will let this slide this time

Speaking of embarrassing political correctness gaffes...

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...tem-pole-outfit

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Regarding the criminal justice and driving topics we were discussing earlier: I think some people honestly just do want to see punishment regardless of how good it is for anyone involved. I was arguing with someone today about tweeting or broadcasting the locations of radar traps in comparison to checkstops (which is definitely bad; I don't like when people do that at all). I pointed out that, if people know where the radar traps or red-light cameras, etc., are located ahead of time, they accomplish their goal of slowing traffic and making people think extra-carefully about running the tail-end of a yellow light. This person, on the other hand, wanted those dastardly speeders to get ticketed even if it meant they were less likely to actually obey the speed limit.

I just don't get people. We seem to actively pursue worse outcomes just in order to fulfill some sense of vengeance or self-righteousness.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ikantski posted:

I'm more concerned about this:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

No you see, it represents the native people where I come from; that place without totem poles.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

Her costume looks much more ridiculous with her arms outstretched. We also have somewhat a history of terrible ideas by pretty girls lately.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm more concerned about this:

efbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb :mad:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
gently caress me the REAL women of Canada hate group is still a thing that gets national press. One of them is on P&P now

these chuckle fucks for the record

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 22, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Can you please ask Justin to aggressively audit RWOC, Fraser, CD Howe, CFIB, et al

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

gently caress me the REAL women of Canada hate group is still a thing that gets national press. One of them is on P&P now

these chuckle fucks for the record

Why do these people get so upset over :qq: TRANS PEOPLE :qq:? Honest question.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Violet_Sky posted:

As far as I can tell, men usually get really scared because a trans woman could "trick" them into "being gay." I'm not sure why women get so upset about it; a general feeling that a "man" is trying to invade women-only spaces or something, I'd assume.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I know some people believe that there is a hidden gay-agenda behind everything and it's going to make us all stop mating and drive us to extinction.
Also bible says gay=bad.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I want a gay agenda. I assume it's glittery and has scheduled time for Broadway shows and manscaping.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Leofish posted:

The Right Wing Media thread is leaking into Canada. I think this counts as an act of aggression.

I looked him up on twitter so you don't have to. He's a rightwing nutjob, with some "humorous" "comedic" "thoughts" about many things. Half of which qualify as Hate Speech under the Charter. Fun.

DariusLikewise posted:

I know some people believe that there is a hidden gay-agenda behind everything and it's going to make us all stop mating and drive us to extinction.
Also bible says gay=bad.

I had no idea this group was still around. You'd think they would have disbanded in this day and age. Seriously, there's no hiding from poo poo like this: http://anti-racistcanada.blogspot.ca/2013/08/real-women-of-canada-support-russian.html

Lars Blitzer fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 23, 2015

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Violet_Sky posted:

TERFs don't believe in transpeople, it's literally that simple. They're feminists who believe your gender and sex are assigned at birth and never change and if you're trans and take hormones or get SRS you're just deluding yourself/actively lying to infiltrate the wymynhood to subvert it from within.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Violet_Sky posted:

In the case of Christian fundamentalists, who make up the core of RWOC, they've built their entire lives and worldview around the idea that there exist men and women, made in the image of God, and men are first and more Godly than women, and men have penises and women have vaginas but we don't talk about that nasty stuff unless we have to, and that there are very narrow roles and expectations for each. And this is natural and universal, and every civilization is based on it, and the ones that aren't based on it either fall apart or get destroyed by good Godly civs.

So when queers come along, with their Liberal enablers, and they completely reject and subvert gender for the fake construct that it is, it is an attack on the very foundation of their ideology from which all their beliefs, ideas, hopes, dreams and choices flow. When they are confronted with the fact that you don't need a penis to be a man, or that god forbid women can get by perfectly fine without getting hitched to some man and having his babies, it makes them very upset.

Lady Naga posted:

TERFs don't believe in transpeople, it's literally that simple. They're feminists who believe your gender and sex are assigned at birth and never change and if you're trans and take hormones or get SRS you're just deluding yourself/actively lying to infiltrate the wymynhood to subvert it from within.
REAL Women of Canada is not a feminist group. Trans-exclusionary radical feminists, or TERFs, are a different thing entirely.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

THC posted:

In the case of Christian fundamentalists, who make up the core of RWOC, they've built their entire lives and worldview around the idea that there exist men and women, made in the image of God, and men are first and more Godly than women, and men have penises and women have vaginas but we don't talk about that nasty stuff unless we have to, and that there are very narrow roles and expectations for each. And this is natural and universal, and every civilization is based on it, and the ones that aren't based on it either fall apart or get destroyed by good Godly civs.

So when queers come along, with their Liberal enablers, and they completely reject and subvert gender for the fake construct that it is, it is an attack on the very foundation of their ideology from which all their beliefs, ideas, hopes, dreams and choices flow. When they are confronted with the fact that you don't need a penis to be a man, or that god forbid women can get by perfectly fine without getting hitched to some man and having his babies, it makes them very upset.

REAL Women of Canada is not a feminist group. Trans-exclusionary radical feminists, or TERFs, are a different thing entirely.

Oh and don't forget that if you're not white they hate you too, but they haven't mentioned that part for years since it tends to make most media people (rightfully) ignore whatever you say and discount it because they truly are horrible people.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

THC posted:

There's a lot of words here so fair enough, but you have to admit that everything except the last 11 words I wrote is still true.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
REAL women of Canada - are they lead by king REOL or something? They sound like a group that makes very bad DOOM .wad maps.

If Lowtax commanded us to unleash the guestbook goatse goons on RWOC, would we answer his call? Or would this be opening up a pandora's box once more...

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Don't touch the poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Io Saturnalia, folks.