Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I just want to say TMP's Director's Cut is amazing. They took the original production work they couldn't do because of money and time constraints and put it into the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Riso posted:

I just want to say TMP's Director's Cut is amazing. They took the original production work they couldn't do because of money and time constraints and put it into the movie.

I generally like most of the changes in the Director's Edition but the new sound mix is absolutely unforgivable, as is removing Kirk's second "Viewer off!"

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The version of The Motion Picture I had on VHS was the "Special Longer Version" with 12 minutes of extra footage compared to the theatrical cut. I wish it was available in Blu-Ray, but it seems to have been considered obsolete when the Director's Edition was released.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I like Generations a lot, but my beefs with it are:

-The movie probably makes very little sense to anyone who's not seen the series. They take no time to establish who characters like Data are and what the Enterprise-D is actually doing in space. I mean, I understand most people expected to see the movie know what Star Trek is, but part of the reason I think the old films held up more is because the uninitiated can jump in and kind of work out from context who's who and why we're watching them. Like in TWOK, a stranger could kind of work out, "okay, I get it. They're the old British navy in space, these characters have this colorful history from serving together." Generations just feels like it just throws you into the mix of a big commercial franchise without any reason for existing except outside of putting your TV heroes on the big screen.

--Klingons and the bird of prey. Not necessarily the old complaint that the Enterprise got "punked" by a little ship, but when I watch the movies sequentially it's like "These guys and this ship AGAIN?" The last four movies involved Klingons and this little bird-shaped ship. I was like, come on, we're supposed to be introducing the fancy new generation and you're still recycling models and costumes from 1984.

I don't mind the desert fistfight or Kirk dying without a lot of fanfare. I actually kind of like that he went out without a big blaze of glory. Made it more grounded for me and a little sadder. The movie kind of bungles this, but I like its theme of characters coming to terms with the fact that there's rarely any actual fairness or dignity in real-life death.

Also, on a side-note, the opening shot of the wine bottle in space is one of my favorite things in the series. I always felt that was kind of iconic of a big thing in Star Trek: the juxtaposition of the classical and the futuristic.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

--Klingons and the bird of prey. Not necessarily the old complaint that the Enterprise got "punked" by a little ship, but when I watch the movies sequentially it's like "These guys and this ship AGAIN?" The last four movies involved Klingons and this little bird-shaped ship. I was like, come on, we're supposed to be introducing the fancy new generation and you're still recycling models and costumes from 1984.
This is somehow made worse by the fact that the BoP is a very pretty and iconic design.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Cingulate posted:

This is somehow made worse by the fact that the BoP is a very pretty and iconic design.

Yeah. Come to think of it, you've got this whole movie full of outstanding iconic ships (BoP, Ent-D, and Excelsior-class), and none are really used to their full potential. They don't really express anything visually in service of the film, they're all just there because they kind of have to be (for various reasons).

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

I thought Bird of Preys punched above their weight because they're a dedicated warship, unlike the Enterprise. Kind of like the Defiant.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mitchicon posted:

I thought Bird of Preys punched above their weight because they're a dedicated warship, unlike the Enterprise. Kind of like the Defiant.
This is not a question of tactical realism/how many hit points does a Bird of Prey have? The problem is that we've seen it prominently featured in 5 movies.
It really worked for most of them, too. But then, with the Enterprise-D, maybe you finally want somebody else to dance with her.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Well it's another symptom of Paramount getting to be real cheapskates with the franchise- it's a Bird of Prey so they can reuse the explosion footage from VI.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

I hope the next ST film has a BoP made of two BoPs

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well it's another symptom of Paramount getting to be real cheapskates with the franchise- it's a Bird of Prey so they can reuse the explosion footage from VI.

They were always cheapskates.

Wrath of Khan was literally produced by the television division.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They spent a lot of money on TMP and then said "never again".

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I don't know if it's been discussed, but Chaos on the Bridge (a documentary on Netflix about the first season of ST:TNG) is a really interesting documentary. Had no idea the behind the scenes of TNG was so loving nuts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also that's basically the only movie-quality enemy model they had. Most of them were TV quality.

DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I like Generations a lot, but my beefs with it are:

-The movie probably makes very little sense to anyone who's not seen the series. They take no time to establish who characters like Data are and what the Enterprise-D is actually doing in space. I mean, I understand most people expected to see the movie know what Star Trek is, but part of the reason I think the old films held up more is because the uninitiated can jump in and kind of work out from context who's who and why we're watching them. Like in TWOK, a stranger could kind of work out, "okay, I get it. They're the old British navy in space, these characters have this colorful history from serving together." Generations just feels like it just throws you into the mix of a big commercial franchise without any reason for existing except outside of putting your TV heroes on the big screen.

I don't mind the desert fistfight or Kirk dying without a lot of fanfare. I actually kind of like that he went out without a big blaze of glory. Made it more grounded for me and a little sadder. The movie kind of bungles this, but I like its theme of characters coming to terms with the fact that there's rarely any actual fairness or dignity in real-life death.

Also, on a side-note, the opening shot of the wine bottle in space is one of my favorite things in the series. I always felt that was kind of iconic of a big thing in Star Trek: the juxtaposition of the classical and the futuristic.

Spot on. I actually think Generations is 2/3 of a great Star Trek movie. It's got a rather poignant theme about aging and dealing with loss, as contrasted in Picard and Soran; it features some genuinely exciting action scenes, even with the reuse of the exploding BoP; and in general the music, cinematography, and direction are all very well done. The director was David Carson, who did Yesterday's Enterprise, one of the best (and most cinematic) episodes of the TV series. Heck, I don't even mind the emotion chip subplot.

Unfortunately, once Picard enters the Nexus, the movie starts to falter. The nexus itself is mystical mumbo-jumbo, the meeting of Kirk and Picard is somewhat fun but ultimately anticlimactic, and the final fight with Soran a little too dull. All this causes you to leave the movie a little underwhelmed, but people talk about this film like its Nemesis-bad, or Into Darkness-bad. It's not, but it is flawed.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Into Darkness is like about 10 times better than every TNG movie.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The sound design alone in First Contact is better than anything in Into Darkness

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Into Darkness is a bad movie I really wanted to like

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 26, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

The sound design alone in First Contact is better than anything in Into Darkness

What?

I seriously can't think of any sound in First Contact that sticks in my mind (poo poo, the Enterprise's quantum torpedoes might have been the only original starship sound in the entire thing; the phaser and phaser rifle sounds were re-used from the TV show), but the sound effects when the Vengeance catches up to the Enterprise in warp and blows the poo poo out of it are amazing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Timby posted:

What?

I seriously can't think of any sound in First Contact that sticks in my mind (poo poo, the Enterprise's quantum torpedoes might have been the only original starship sound in the entire thing; the phaser and phaser rifle sounds were re-used from the TV show), but the sound effects when the Vengeance catches up to the Enterprise in warp and blows the poo poo out of it are amazing.

Probably some "star trek ship cannons make sounds in space" thing.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

SalTheBard posted:

I don't know if it's been discussed, but Chaos on the Bridge (a documentary on Netflix about the first season of ST:TNG) is a really interesting documentary. Had no idea the behind the scenes of TNG was so loving nuts.

Is that the one Shatner made? Wasn't quite as on depth as I had hoped, but yeah, what a cluster gently caress.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

wyoming posted:

Is that the one Shatner made? Wasn't quite as on depth as I had hoped, but yeah, what a cluster gently caress.

There's also a poo poo-ton of revisionist history in it.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Man, I was going to go through all the ST films but TNG ones are terrible. I'm assuming the cast is more likable in the show (which I've never seen) but in the movies they're fairly unlikable and I don't see how anyone prefers them to the OC.

loving Nemesis. What a shitshow

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I'm not a fan of the TNG movies but watching them without seeing the show just sounds extremely bizarre to me. I don't know if Picard's vengeance against the Borg really carries much weight unless you've seen Best of Both Worlds, for example.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I suppose you're right. I assumed they would stand up on their own.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I have to think watching nearly any Star Trek movie out of context must seem kind of weird. All of them are 'reunion' movies. I can only imagine someone who has no idea about Star Trek watching TWOK for the first time wondering why in the world they're treating this supporting character's death like he's Jesus or something.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Man, I was going to go through all the ST films but TNG ones are terrible. I'm assuming the cast is more likable in the show (which I've never seen) but in the movies they're fairly unlikable and I don't see how anyone prefers them to the OC.

I would legitimately enjoy reading trip reports/reviews/analyses of these movies from your perspective as someone who has never seen the show.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Timby posted:

What?

I do remember all the weird Borg noises being somewhat memorable.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

They're definitely not more likable in the show.
The show was ugly and dull.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

The TNG movies are in this weird spot where they look and feel like 2-hour episodes of the show, and yet have little in common with the show's basic formula. The show is a small, cheap series exploring the human condition and other intellectual stuff, but the movies are big, expensive attempts at space action-adventure. The cast doesn't make the transition well because the underlying characters don't. For example, Picard transforms from restrained, thoughtful diplomat on the show to action hero in every one of the movies. It's a dumb move because, among other reasons, Patrick Stewart is clearly better at one than the other.

wyoming posted:

The show was ugly and dull.
The remastered version makes it look a hell of a lot better, but yeah, there are a lot of dull episodes and the underlying cheapness of the whole thing is still there.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Timby posted:

There's also a poo poo-ton of revisionist history in it.

O really? That sucks. I thought it was pretty interesting.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SalTheBard posted:

O really? That sucks. I thought it was pretty interesting.

The biggest issue is that Maurice Hurley's douchebaggery is almost completely whitewashed. His sexual harassment of Gates McFadden, for example, is what made her leave the show after the first season. Instead, he's presented as being one of the people who was herding the cats while Roddenberry drooled on himself.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The TNG movies are in this weird spot where they look and feel like 2-hour episodes of the show, and yet have little in common with the show's basic formula. The show is a small, cheap series exploring the human condition and other intellectual stuff, but the movies are big, expensive attempts at space action-adventure. The cast doesn't make the transition well because the underlying characters don't. For example, Picard transforms from restrained, thoughtful diplomat on the show to action hero in every one of the movies. It's a dumb move because, among other reasons, Patrick Stewart is clearly better at one than the other.

The biggest problem with the TNG movies is that they never really had a good director. David Carson came the closest, but Frakes is a television director and it showed in terms of how unimaginative all of his blocking and angles were, and Baird literally got the Nemesis gig as a "thank you" from Paramount.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The first ten minutes of Into Darkness were a great Trek movie. Pity about the rest.

Timby posted:

The biggest issue is that Maurice Hurley's douchebaggery is almost completely whitewashed. His sexual harassment of Gates McFadden, for example, is what made her leave the show after the first season. Instead, he's presented as being one of the people who was herding the cats while Roddenberry drooled on himself.

Yeah, things were actually worse than presented.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

lizardman posted:

I have to think watching nearly any Star Trek movie out of context must seem kind of weird. All of them are 'reunion' movies. I can only imagine someone who has no idea about Star Trek watching TWOK for the first time wondering why in the world they're treating this supporting character's death like he's Jesus or something.

The Wrath of Khan was the first Star Trek thing I'd ever seen and it worked just fine because everyone knows who Spock is, jeeze.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

lizardman posted:

Spock is a very important character in that movie literally from minute one. Even if you don't know who he is, his death hits hard.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Yeah, even if you just came into the movie from a vacuum, it's obvious Spock's relationship to Kirk. He's the archetypal sage adviser and obviously Kirk's best friend for years. I think it would still work even if these were characters we just met for the first time. (It just carries an extra punch for people that have watched the characters for years.)

My ex used to say Wrath of Khan was her favorite movie and the only TOS flicks she ever saw were that and IV. She never saw the series, either.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Hey, it's great that it sounds like I'm wrong. If it helps, I'm certainly not trying to downplay the impact of Spock's death in the story itself, nor Kirk's reaction to it. Just that the whole bit with Spock's coffin on Genesis along with his disembodied voice reciting the Star Trek mantra might come off like it's pouring the sentiment on a little thick, is all.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

lizardman posted:

Just that the whole bit with Spock's coffin on Genesis along with his disembodied voice reciting the Star Trek mantra might come off like it's pouring the sentiment on a little thick, is all.

In fairness, that stuff was added after the initial test screenings (and without Nick Meyer's consent). When they were writing and producing the film, everyone figured this could be it and they weren't thinking of a sequel. As originally assembled, the movie ends with Spock deader than a doornail and there's no light at the end of the tunnel. But as it came together in the editing room, everyone realized they might have something special on their hands, so Harve Bennett shot the "Remember" insert and the sequence of Spock's torpedo on the Genesis Planet as a way of adding a sequel hook in case the film were a hit.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^Oh yes, as a Star Trek fan I'm glad it was done. I'm just amusing myself trying to imagine it from a different perspective.

I've heard Nicholas Meyer express his opinion about the ending and how he felt the audience was going to KNOW they're bringing Spock back by showing his coffin on the planet, and I always thought it was interesting I've never taken the shot that way (of course I watched it already knowing what happens in subsequent movies, so...). I always took it as "look what a beautiful resting place this is".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I agree with Meyer on that one. Showing the coffin on a planet that makes dead things come to life as the last shot is pretty foreshadow-y.

• Locked thread