Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

According to the catalogue it should but yeah, shipping would probably be retarded and you would undoubtedly be able to find one cheaper where you live.

Ah well :v:

Anyone running a compact LED light bar or similar on a street bike? I don't plan on riding at night, it's just to be " ' legal ' " (lol). Looking for suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I bought a set of stick on 9 inch light bars for "drls" on Amazon or eBay for a buddy's sv650 and they worked fine.

These things:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NK7FH1M/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?qid=1450680046&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=led+drl+strip

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Verge posted:

Did the Xena drive them away and this was a weird set up? If so, what's the benefit of snatching keys? Wait until I leave then go for it? Why? I work nights!

I assume someone saw YouTube videos of your riding and decided to try to keep you safe, or maybe just keep themselves safe.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Collateral Damage posted:

Silly question but did you look closely on the bike? Someone had forgotten their keys in the lock at the bike parking near my job and I just hid them in the wiring behind the headlight. Pretty easy to spot if you looked, but not immediately visible if you were just passing by. At the end of the day the bike was gone so I just assume the owner found them. :shobon:

Everywhere but under the seat...imma. check that...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

I bought a set of stick on 9 inch light bars for "drls" on Amazon or eBay for a buddy's sv650 and they worked fine.

These things:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NK7FH1M/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?qid=1450680046&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=led+drl+strip

Hrm, I think something like a Rigid LED fixture knockoff from eBay might be the way to go. Those look good for DRLs though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you're just looking for "legal", those are super easy, just stick them to the fairings, and wire them in directly to the harness. They're quite bright.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'll give them a try then. :) Just want to ride the Duc to work.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Couple pages back, but I have the Pirelli Angel GTs and like them. Great wear so far. Only issues I have is that the wet weather control is good, but not great, and they take a bit too warm up and get a nice grip on the road.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

BlackMK4 posted:

I'll give them a try then. :) Just want to ride the Duc to work.

Would just using hand signals work?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Pope Mobile posted:

Couple pages back, but I have the Pirelli Angel GTs and like them. Great wear so far. Only issues I have is that the wet weather control is good, but not great, and they take a bit too warm up and get a nice grip on the road.

Well darn, I thought they were considered to be pretty top notch wet tires. Oh well, anything is better than a 6 year old Shinko!

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Verge posted:

Would just using hand signals work?

What's the hand signal for headlight?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Holding a maglight with your left hand

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Christ, what am I thinking? That's so unsafe. But you could hold a small one with your teeth.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

echomadman posted:

What's the hand signal for headlight?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Chichevache posted:

Well darn, I thought they were considered to be pretty top notch wet tires. Oh well, anything is better than a 6 year old Shinko!

Sorry, I thought I replied to that, a mate had a set of them on his Street Triple when he got it and they're fine in the dry, but he hated them in the wet. Their wet weather performance turned him off them permanently.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How do you find grip limits in the rain without crashing? Legit question.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's possible just to lose the rear wheel for a second or two.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
It's also possible to poo poo your pants in that same second or two.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

You get the rain fear in your brain, then you post about it on the internet. This is what most people do. "OMG no grip with these" *didn't slide one inch*

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Really the only time I get any slide while riding in the rain is when I'm in even the slightest lean while passing over road paint, and even then it's just an expected quarter second blip of traction loss on each tire individually as I pass over it. I have felt a slight vagueness or a bit of slip while on a wide, sweeping bank at like 70mph and that feedback kind of says to me "if you do anything sudden right now, you'll lose traction immediately." -- I guess I'd consider that to be the grip limit on that bike/tire.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

Bikes don't just crash. You can sit there and light the rear wheel up and unless you chop the throttle while picking up A LOT of traction or add a bunch of lean you aren't going down. Front end will let you push it around locked up too.
Dirtbike cross training is a huge thing and the way the bike acts while sliding carries right over for the most part.

Basically don't freak out and you're fine.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 23, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

It's possible just to lose the rear wheel for a second or two.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Really the only time I get any slide while riding in the rain is when I'm in even the slightest lean while passing over road paint, and even then it's just an expected quarter second blip of traction loss on each tire individually as I pass over it. I have felt a slight vagueness or a bit of slip while on a wide, sweeping bank at like 70mph and that feedback kind of says to me "if you do anything sudden right now, you'll lose traction immediately." -- I guess I'd consider that to be the grip limit on that bike/tire.

I've experienced this stuff but I can't possibly do it on command.

BlackMK4 posted:

Bikes don't just crash. You can sit there and light the rear wheel up and unless you chop the throttle while picking up A LOT of traction or add a bunch of lean you aren't going down. Front end will let you push it around locked up too.
Dirtbike cross training is a huge thing and the way the bike acts while sliding carries right over for the most part.

I know this too but my brain has other ideas. Definitely getting a dirtybike when I have more cash cause I'm clearly missing out on a pretty big skill set.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Slavvy posted:

I've experienced this stuff but I can't possibly do it on command.

It happens pretty frequently when I commute to work :smith:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

I know this too but my brain has other ideas. Definitely getting a dirtybike when I have more cash cause I'm clearly missing out on a pretty big skill set.
You're going to have so much fun.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

BlackMK4 posted:

New rider here (about 6 months in, ride every day). How much does bicycle experience transfer over? I've been commuting in the snow / ice for years on a fat-tired Cross Check. Fishtail a lot (fun!) but haven't lowsided in forever. I've never ridden a dirtbike.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't know, every time I've crashed a mountain bike hard it was losing the front at speed before I knew what happened. I guess that carries over to every time I've crashed a supersport. :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Don't freak when you slide and you'll do fine. Freak and be ready to cuddle the pavement.

I slid the front out last week on a wet steel plate in a turn. didnt crash. It was kinda fun. Got the lameness on film too

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My bike is pretty low to the ground (Honda CB-1). Low enough that I can easily flat foot it with both feet. I've only lost the front end over some gravel at relatively low speed but just put my leg out and did that dirt bike slidey thing. Not sure what I would do at a higher rate of speed, probably just crash.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

Don't freak when you slide and you'll do fine. Freak and be ready to cuddle the pavement.

I slid the front out last week on a wet steel plate in a turn. didnt crash. It was kinda fun. Got the lameness on film too

Link please.

BlackMK4 posted:

You're going to have so much fun.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCmi9Ys1mTk

it was after a rain and I had the super smart idea to go play on grizzly peak.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCmi9Ys1mTk

it was after a rain and I had the super smart idea to go play on grizzly peak.

Really loving those antlers. :swoon:

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

A MIRACLE posted:

New rider here (about 6 months in, ride every day). How much does bicycle experience transfer over? I've been commuting in the snow / ice for years on a fat-tired Cross Check. Fishtail a lot (fun!) but haven't lowsided in forever. I've never ridden a dirtbike.

Coordination (balance) stays, your hands knowing when to brake and when to accelerate for traction management don't.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I hosed up :gonk:

Roll the bike out to go to work this morning, hit the starter, nothing. I know I've done something during the course of installing the new headlight, but I can't think what.

Only other symptom is the neutral light (and possibly the oil pressure light) isn't working. Head and tail lights work, highbeam indicator works, haven't checked indicators yet. Any ideas?

Before you ask, yes I have a multimeter.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

I hosed up :gonk:

Roll the bike out to go to work this morning, hit the starter, nothing. I know I've done something during the course of installing the new headlight, but I can't think what.

Only other symptom is the neutral light (and possibly the oil pressure light) isn't working. Head and tail lights work, highbeam indicator works, haven't checked indicators yet. Any ideas?

Before you ask, yes I have a multimeter.

Check it's not actually in gear and that you're not just hitting the interlock?

After that, fuses would be first step, then go over the last work methodically - take out or bypass the components you installed one by one and see what happens.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm pretty sure riding mountainbikes really helped with low-speed stuff. Higher speeds, it's totally different. On a mountainbike you lean the bike in to turns, with a motorcycle you want to do the opposite.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Barnsy posted:

I'm pretty sure riding mountainbikes really helped with low-speed stuff. Higher speeds, it's totally different. On a mountainbike you lean the bike in to turns, with a motorcycle you want to do the opposite.

Huh? How else are you turning if you're not leaning the motorcycle into the corner?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Barnsy posted:

On a mountainbike you lean the bike in to turns, with a motorcycle you want to do the opposite.

What? No.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Let's discuss countersteering. Also AMSOIL.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

AMSOIL

Shimrod posted:

Huh? How else are you turning if you're not leaning the motorcycle into the corner?

Poorly worded -- you'll always lean to turn but when you're at higher speeds (above like 15mph) you'll actually turn the front wheel to the opposite direction of your desired turn. "Push left go left. Pull right go left" etc.

This phenomenon is present on bicycles as well but you rarely would be going fast enough to notice it, especially combined with the low mass.

Resultant of this vv would be a right lean/turn. Thanks inertia!

countersteering 101 brought to you by: a massive human being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
holy gently caress here we go