Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I don't think the secrecy argument holds up. Before the drones we'd used both remote controlled cruise missiles and manned air sorties again usually with remote controlled munitions. And none of those were any less secret then drone strikes are.

And that's not even getting into ongoing use of performing hits with people on the ground whether through means of local military, local police, mercenaries, or special agents/commandos.

Similarly the confrontation part doesn't really work. Most pre drone operations were also "here's explosives out of nowhere".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Why not - did Bush drone strike US citizens?

You mean other than on 9/11? :tinfoil:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Immediately before leaving office, Scott Beshear signed an executive order restoring the right to vote to convicted felons who had completed their sentences. Incoming Governor Matt Bevin immediately undid the order, restoring the life-long ban on voting to the 100,000 Kentuckians so affected.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The other thing that still rubs me the wrong way is that we were clearly at war with the Confederacy (at least to my knowledge--feel free to correct this if I am wrong), whereas the battle lines in The War Against Terrorism are a lot murkier.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

A Winner is Jew posted:

Republicans are only fiscally conservative towards the 1%. If you're not a millionaire then :vd:

Bonus points for making dirty poors suffer even more for having the audacity to get carpel tunnel after the billionth gizzard chucked in the gizzard bucket.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

VikingofRock posted:

The other thing that still rubs me the wrong way is that we were clearly at war with the Confederacy (at least to my knowledge--feel free to correct this if I am wrong), whereas the battle lines in The War Against Terrorism are a lot murkier.

we weren't at war with the Confederacy, because that would imply that we recognized the Confederacy as a state, which we didn't

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Immediately before leaving office, Scott Beshear signed an executive order restoring the right to vote to convicted felons who had completed their sentences. Incoming Governor Matt Bevin immediately undid the order, restoring the life-long ban on voting to the 100,000 Kentuckians so affected.

The same thing happened in Florida. Charlie Crist gave felons the vote before he left office, Rick Scott undid it.

DemeaninDemon posted:

poo poo like this pisses me off. Party of fiscal responsibility strikes again by ignoring a root cause, letting it blow up into a nasty mess, causing people suffer, and lastly giving tax payers the outrageous bill.

PS I'm extra sensitive to this since my dad was nearly killed on the job a few days before Christmas when I was a kid.

I hope you enjoy 19th century worker protections because at this rate we'll be at 18th century worker protections by 2020.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

God loving drat it. gently caress you, Brevin.

Hope you're happy, Kentucky.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
As a Kentuckian, I'm not.

He also undid the state employee minimum wage increase, which ought to pair nicely with his plans to dissolve Kynect and refuse the Medicaid expansion.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Sounds like Kentucky voters got everything they wanted :twisted:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Maybe Democratic governors should stop being cowards and doing this right before leaving office. Like, say, day 1 of their term. Then the felons will be able to vote once or twice at least, and it will be harder to take that away from them again. But of course asking Dems to have a backbone is a losing proposition.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So just how much do people have to have taken from them before they finally get sick of government being the bought-and-paid-for plaything of the financial elite? Within the last page or two we see workers compensation protections, health care and minimum wage all being sacrificed on the Altar of the Sacred Job Creators and yet without fail the people loudly and proudly screaming that they will do exactly that still get voted into office.

What is the breaking point at which people say, "Ya know what; No. It's time I vote for someone who is going to do things that help me"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
When people stop believing the "blacks are stealing your tax dollars" line.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SumYungGui posted:

What is the breaking point at which people say, "Ya know what; No. It's time I vote for someone who is going to do things that help me"

Never. Because government is, by their own definition, incapable of doing things to help these people because it is ostensibly corrupt, inefficient and/or incompetent 100% of the time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

blue squares posted:

Maybe Democratic governors should stop being cowards and doing this right before leaving office. Like, say, day 1 of their term. Then the felons will be able to vote once or twice at least, and it will be harder to take that away from them again. But of course asking Dems to have a backbone is a losing proposition.

Looks like I was wrong and Crist (who was an R at the time and later did a 180 on all the social issues because he likes almost winning elections) did it a few months into his term in office. Nonviolent felons automatically got their rights back when they were released while violent felons needed to go through a hearing. Then Scott and his shill of an AG pulled the plug because it was "too easy" as soon as he took office and instituted a 5-year waiting period and a hearing process (which takes another 5 years) before any felon could petition to get their rights back. 150,000 felons got their civil rights back by the time Crist left office with another 100,000 cases pending. Somewhere around 400 have gone through during Scott's tenure. 10% of the population of Florida is disenfranchised.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I liked GG&S

Nate SIlver should go back to baseball stats

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

This week in Islamophobia:

Palestinian-American artist was detained at the border in Nogales with her friends earlier this month for having a sketchbook filled with drawings of the border and Arabic writing. She was researching the border for an art project. Right-wing news sources picked it up and said she was an ISIS member planning a terror attack.

A couple in Arkansas were kicked out of a mall for taking video of the place. People reported them acting "suspiciously" and right-wing news sources picked it up and said they were ISIS members planning a terror attack.

Someone spray-painted "Jesus is the way" on a mosque in California and left a fake grenade in the driveway.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Drones are bad, whether they kill American citizens or roast Yemeni weddings, because US military intervention in the Middle East never works, thank you for reading.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Are we seriously, un-ironically comparing drone assassinations to the US civil war? Does the difference even have to be explained?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Chomskyan posted:

Are we seriously, un-ironically comparing drone assassinations to the US civil war? Does the difference even have to be explained?

They're both state sponsored military actions against self-declared enemies of the U.S. government that happened to have collateral damage towards minorities, I can understand their confusion.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
If only Robert E. Lee had moved his HQ to a cafe in Yemen. The Confederacy would have lived on!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Typical Pubbie posted:

If only Robert E. Lee had moved his HQ to a cafe in Yemen. The Confederacy would have lived on!

Stuart would have still shown up late somehow, resulting in Meade trouncing his hillbilly rear end.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Swan Oat posted:

Drones are bad, whether they kill American citizens or roast Yemeni weddings, because US military intervention in the Middle East never works, thank you for reading.

Or fall from the sky and miss killing alpine skiers by inches.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

we weren't at war with the Confederacy, because that would imply that we recognized the Confederacy as a state, which we didn't

We were forced to kinda recognize the confederacy/the state of war for the purpose of handling POWs.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

alternatively, the confederacy was at war with the federal government, and you at least have to be at war with someone who's warring you

it makes the most sense to me that the united states government was at war with an illetigimate government but not another nation

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Man, gently caress Terry Branstad.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

MaxxBot posted:

Are there any more academic books that try to cover the same subject matter? I really enjoyed the book but I know that it has a lot of flaws.

If it's pre-Colombian human-environment interactions you want, there are some good papers in "The Archaeology of Environmental Change" edited by Fisher, Hill and Feinman, and put out of U of A Press has some good papers in it. If you want to expand that to non-European human-environment interactions than "Roots of Conflict" about Hawaii from SAR Press is excellent. There are also some chapters in "Chaco and Hohokam" also from SAR Press that go over subsistence systems and environment to a lesser degree, though the book is overall just a touch outdated, not horribly though. I also recommend Stephen Lekson's "A History of the Ancient Southwest" for some more controversial opinions on the complexity of pre-Colombian Southwest US societies and social organizations with a ton of citations to relevant sources. SAR Press' popular series on Southwest cultures is also good, especially "The Hohokam Millennium". I can't recommend many good books on other regions unfortunately, but the ones I recommended should provide a fairly good overview of the diversity of complex societies outside a European norm and also human-environment interactions.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

CortezFantastic posted:

Any of you ever see Secret Honor? A one man show with Nixon going crazy. It's on Hulu and it owns

I read Crooked by Austin Grossman a few weeks ago (it's actually not that great and I would not recommend it) and both Crooked and Secret Honor have this obsession with the idea that Nixon's actions were justified by some higher purpose that has been kept hidden from the people for their own good. It's interesting but also disturbing that this seems to be so fascinating to people, that he wasn't actually a crook, but taking one for the team. I guess it's a way to cope with the fact that a US President got caught being corrupt.

Of course, both works here can be interpreted as fever dreams and rationalizations invented by Nixon himself, as Nixon is the narrator in both. In Secret Honor, Nixon explains that an illuminati-type conspiracy was planning for him to stay in office for a third term and to keep the war in Vietnam going, and he staged Watergate to create himself an escape hatch. Similarly, in Crooked, the actual explanation is far more fanciful but still has the same core idea: the US is beset by supernatural threats, and Henry "War Criminal" Kissinger is actually a millennia old sorcerer who wants to install Nixon as an Eternal President to protect the country against these paranormal enemies, and Nixon, feeling trapped, self-immolates so that he can't be the figurehead Kissinger needs. I only wish the book were nearly as interesting as the premise suggests.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Republicans posted:

I wonder if good comedians/writers ever tried to make legit funny "conservative" humor out of either a sense of pity or for the challenge of it.

The only show as of late I have found remotely funny on a conservative level is F is for Family (ya'll should watch it).

To elaborate further, it's a take on Bill Burr's childhood growing up in the rust belt in the 70's. The entire first season revolves around an airport union dispute. Seems to be appropriate for all the worker comp chat.

Armani fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 23, 2015

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Antti posted:

Nixon explains that an illuminati-type conspiracy was planning for him to stay in office for a third term and to keep the war in Vietnam going, and he staged Watergate to create himself an escape hatch.

I have no doubt Nixon would be appalled at the notion of other parties keeping the Vietnam war going for political purposes, seeing as he might as well have patented that idea.

Bryter fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 23, 2015

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Add:
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/22/us-stops-british-muslim-family-flight-disneyland-david-cameron

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MickeyFinn posted:

This is an awesome post. It has actually led me to reconsider my position on the al-Awlaki drone strike. What rubs me the wrong way, however, is two things. First, is the level of secrecy involved in modern anti-terrorism drone strikes versus the "send in the military" actions of the civil war. And second is the lack of confrontation in the drone strikes. Perhaps these come from a total misunderstanding, but let me elaborate.

1, Secrecy)
The modern drone campaign is more or less based on the government saying "this person is doing or was planning to do really bad things that we can't reveal for good reasons." Rather than during the civil war when a vast majority (if not all?) of people killed were clearly rebelling.

2, Confrontation)
When the army shows up at your house to drag you away for organizing a rebellion, you can at least go peacefully. On the other hand, when a bomb shows up out of seemingly no where with your morning coffee you can't choose to surrender.

These distinctions are important to me because the combination of the two means that the government can simply say that anyone, anywhere was doing bad things that cannot be revealed and those people don't even get the chance to profess their innocence peacefully. Article III, Section 3 of the Constitution exists to prevent the government from simply saying that so-and-so is guilty of treason and was shot down for good reason. I'm not saying that section applies here, but legal or not, I don't like the road the al-Awlaki drone strike leads down and I feel like we have been down this road before.

Edit: Since it appears to have already come up I want to make clear that the foregoing is not an argument for whether the al-Awlaki drone strike was legal or not based on a difference in war making during the civil war and today. I am actually rather convinced by The Iron Rose's argument that the drone strike was probably legal. What concerns me is that the legality is based on laws that were enacted when life in general and warfare in particular were very different. And further, how the current methods being used in the "war on terror" work is similar to the way that treason "worked" pre-Constitution. A system so feared/detested that the conditions for conviction were explicitly laid out in the constitution in order to prevent it.

I think your former point is valid, but removes the underlying premise of an ultimately ambiguous and ill-defined war. Whether we admit it or not, we are in a war right now in all but name. If Congress was doing it's job we'd be able to better address your first point, but it's not and we're currently acting on political and (probably) realistic necessity on a AUMF that is not intended to apply here.

The second point is... I can see the distaste for it, but there really isn't much of a viable alternative in the current state of war.

Chomskyan posted:

Yes, and in the context of the conversation maybe you should elaborate.

Boon fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 23, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

This is a false flag operation in the war on christmas, obviously.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Ouch, over $13k up in smoke because some customs agent was an rear end in a top hat.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

DOOP posted:

I liked GG&S
Not nearly enough credit to Diocletian for inventing mountain fortresses and necessitating gunpowder.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
So has anything awesome happened? Surely some Christmas Warrior was counter balanced by a bro shoveling someone's driveway.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

How is this kind of poo poo even legal? "Sorry, you can't come in. No, we won't tell you why. BYE!"

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

IT BEGINS posted:

How is this kind of poo poo even legal? "Sorry, you can't come in. No, we won't tell you why. BYE!"

They aren't Americans, so due process doesn't apply.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

So has anything awesome happened? Surely some Christmas Warrior was counter balanced by a bro shoveling someone's driveway.

No, because the world is made of piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

IT BEGINS posted:

I recall that the UK turned away a US hate group a year or so ago, so being turned away for political reasons isn't that unheard of.

Turning people away based on background though...

• Locked thread