Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So The Force Awakens reminds me an awful lot of a hybrid cross between Zeta, ZZ and Unicorn. That is it is quite good but I found a lot of similarities. Anyhow, back to Gundam Chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I just finished ep 24 of G. Reco. What did Manny bringing back the G. Rach(?) have to do with them finding the Yggdrasil? They made it sound like the two were connected.

Also, they killed off 5 characters in 2 eps it's crazy

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
So, uh, this leaked today:

https://www.facebook.com/ANIMEDIA.lightning/videos/985549021515341/?fref=nf

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
gundam bebop lookin good

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

It leaked ages ago.

Also if you aren't reading Gundam Sousei then get the gently caress out of my face until you are.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Reds posted:

It leaked ages ago.

This is the whole 18 minutes.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
thunderbolt is pretty great so far, I really hope this isn't another Unicorn deal and it's only finished after like the decade is out

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Unicorn came out pretty briskly when you compare it to Rebuild of Eva or the Code Geass ova.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All of those came out briskly compared to Giant Robo.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

All of those came out briskly compared to Giant Robo.

rebuild of eva's taken longer than giant robo at this point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh wow I guess it has

My phone just autocorrected 'wow' to 'EoE' :tinfoil:

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

DamnGlitch posted:

Unicorn came out pretty briskly when you compare it to Rebuild of Eva or the Code Geass ova.

Gundam Unicorn took 4 years to release 7 episodes. The Geass OVA took 4 years to release 5 episodes.

Giant Robo took 6 years to release 7 episodes, but with almost a 2 year gap right before the last one.

Rebuild of Eva is apparently going to take ~10 years to release 4 movies and the last gap is growing.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I did it I finished G. Reco

Tell me about all the subtle poo poo I probably missed.

I was just super happy that Mick Jack survived, I was worried that all the supporting characters not on the Megafauna's team would get destroyed in the finale.

E: I guess I should share some thoughts on the ending. I thought it made sense that everyone just dropped fighting once the commanders were killed. Most of the ones left didn't have a huge stake for glory or anything like that.

I thought it was weird they never said if the people from Towasunga were going to continue trying to take the earth back. Their 3 commanders getting blown the gently caress up dissuaded them I guess.

I was confused by the Venus Globe G-IT group. They all seemed hyper ready for some bloodshed, but the remaining girl was relieved when Bellri spared her and called a ceasefire. I was honestly expecting her to try a sneak attack.

Happy with the ending though. Despite fighting each other, everyone seemed pretty amicable in the epilogue scenes. Bellri ditching Noredo seemed pretty cold, but he never even hinted at reciprocating her feelings sooooo oh well.

Show owned and was super pretty, there's so many small details in the animation that I loved. Evil rear end in a top hat from space's last minute death was p funny too.

Erg fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 23, 2015

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I just started volume seven of The Origin. I didn't think I would go for such an in depth flashback at first but this has been incredible. The artwork is gorgeous and conveys the mood so well.

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 23, 2015

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Erg posted:

E: I guess I should share some thoughts on the ending. I thought it made sense that everyone just dropped fighting once the commanders were killed. Most of the ones left didn't have a huge stake for glory or anything like that.

I thought it was weird they never said if the people from Towasunga were going to continue trying to take the earth back. Their 3 commanders getting blown the gently caress up dissuaded them I guess.

I was confused by the Venus Globe G-IT group. They all seemed hyper ready for some bloodshed, but the remaining girl was relieved when Bellri spared her and called a ceasefire. I was honestly expecting her to try a sneak attack.

The idea seems to be that pretty much everybody who was pushing the war died, and the command structure fell apart or decided to call it off and negotiate.

The G-IT guys were hyped for battle, but as with the moon captain (Dorette? it's been a while) once they went "oh poo poo people i care about are dying this was a mistake" their motivation dried up. Didn't one of the G-ITs literally piss themselves in fear at some point?

Think of it like WW1. Everybody is hyped to go off and show those foreign savages what-for and it's been so long since there's been a war that people are just not treating it with the gravity it demands.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erg posted:

I did it I finished G. Reco

Tell me about all the subtle poo poo I probably missed.

I was just super happy that Mick Jack survived, I was worried that all the supporting characters not on the Megafauna's team would get destroyed in the finale.

Happy with the ending though. Despite fighting each other, everyone seemed pretty amicable in the epilogue scenes. Bellri ditching Noredo seemed pretty cold, but he never even hinted at reciprocating her feelings sooooo oh well.

Show owned and was super pretty, there's so many small details in the animation that I loved. Evil rear end in a top hat from space's last minute death was p funny too.

I actually wound up putting a list together in the original G-Reco thread, because there were so many factions. Spoilered for anyone who hasn't gotten around to watching G-Reco yet.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also, I think I've managed to break down all the factions properly;

• Venus Globe
    • Venus Goverment - Backing the Megafauna with new toys and the Venus Police Mechs.
    • The G-IT Lab - Trying badly to kick off the Recongusita of Earth and backing the Capital Army. Pretty much see any Earthnoids as mindless savages.
  • Towasanga
    • Dorette Fleet - Also trying to kick off their own Reconguista of Earth, and now starting to get their poo poo pushed in because they no longer have the fanciest toys.
    • Towasanga Civilians/Rebels - Some of them were backing Aida and Bellri, turns out some of them were G-IT spies. Whoops.
  • Earth
    • The Megafauna - Gone to see the elephant where Photon Batteries come from and to end the monopoly to improve life for everyone.
    • The Capital Guard - Pretty much stuck nodding and doing whatever the Capital Army says at this point.
    • The Capital Army - Grandstanding amateurs, save for a few pilots like Mask's Team, and largely at the whims of whatever Cumpa's endgame is. Out to get better toys from Towasanga for themselves.
    • The Amerian Army - Klim Nick's command. Out to take Sankt Porto/Towasanga for themselves to take the Photon Battery monopoly and end the war that way.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dangerous Person posted:

I just started volume seven of The Origin. I didn't think I would go for such an in depth flashback at first but this has been incredible. The artwork is gorgeous and conveys the mood so well.

It's good, but I do question the decision to have a 3-4 volume flashback bang in the middle of the manga. It would have made more sense for it to be chronological and start with their childhood.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's good, but I do question the decision to have a 3-4 volume flashback bang in the middle of the manga. It would have made more sense for it to be chronological and start with their childhood.

The Origin is designed to effectively be a self-contained work that assumes no knowledge of Gundam, and the flashback 'ruins' several mysteries of the show beforehand.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Reds posted:

Think of it like WW1. Everybody is hyped to go off and show those foreign savages what-for and it's been so long since there's been a war that people are just not treating it with the gravity it demands.

It hadnt been a long time since there was a war; its just that youth is the one that always fights war, and young people dont know poo poo about dick. The initial feeling of elation and excitement during ww1 has to do with the tension breaking of long years of prediction that there would be a general war between the great powers, and when it happened people were glad that the possibility wasnt hanging over them and they could get it over with.

You are right about the initial elation of war being similar though, and where it gets funny is reco it actually has been a long time since there was a war. You could make the argument that such a state has never ever occurred in the span of human history, so the "unrealistic" instant ceasing of hostilities at the end follows the unprecedented years of forced peace. At the same time though, the peace is portrayed as forced and its not unreasonable to believe new hostilities would begin shortly again without the system of control being restored.

Caros
May 14, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

It hadnt been a long time since there was a war; its just that youth is the one that always fights war, and young people dont know poo poo about dick. The initial feeling of elation and excitement during ww1 has to do with the tension breaking of long years of prediction that there would be a general war between the great powers, and when it happened people were glad that the possibility wasnt hanging over them and they could get it over with.

You are right about the initial elation of war being similar though, and where it gets funny is reco it actually has been a long time since there was a war. You could make the argument that such a state has never ever occurred in the span of human history, so the "unrealistic" instant ceasing of hostilities at the end follows the unprecedented years of forced peace. At the same time though, the peace is portrayed as forced and its not unreasonable to believe new hostilities would begin shortly again without the system of control being restored.

Considering that there is a terrorist attack involving the creasent ship landing on a huge crowd of people in the middle of a city to assassinate the president I think a new war is a pretty reasonable assumption.

I know it's a gag, but it really is hilarious what the implication of that scene would be if you put it into any other series.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

It probably would've been funnier if Klim yelled I'M NOT DEAD over the speakers and then done it.

He didn't die anyway.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DamnGlitch posted:

It hadnt been a long time since there was a war; its just that youth is the one that always fights war, and young people dont know poo poo about dick.

I was watching Ken Burn's documentary on World War II a few weeks back and when they were interviewing the surviving American soldiers who signed up just after Pearl Harbor all of them had rather ignoble reasons for wanting to go to war. One guy just saw it as a way to see foreign lands and get some excitement, another guy thought it was his means to finally learn to fly planes like he'd always dreamed off, a third joined because he'd just gotten in trouble and thought joining the army was a way of escaping it while another ran off and joined the army because he thought the girl he had a crush on didn't reciprocate his feelings. Which is all the more tragic in his case because she did, waited several years while he was away fighting for him to return and then his family got a letter saying he died, after which she waited another year before meeting someone and was due to get married only a few days after he finally returned from the war.

There were some servicemen who did have more noble reasons for joining, but the only ones who come to mind (within the realm of the documentary at least) were either the citizens of Japanese descent who wanted to show that they were as American as other citizens or people who joined up long after the war had started and wanted to do their bit for their country going by their own words. All the ones who joined at the start though seemed to be doing it for more personal reasons, perhaps because at the start everyone thought it'd be done in less than a year where after two years or more of American soldiers getting slaughtered en-masse, especially in the Pacific theatre, public sentiment and thus reasons for joining changed massively.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

tsob posted:

while another ran off and joined the army because he thought the girl he had a crush on didn't reciprocate his feelings. Which is all the more tragic in his case because she did, waited several years while he was away fighting for him to return and then his family got a letter saying he died, after which she waited another year before meeting someone and was due to get married only a few days after he finally returned from the war.

Wait so did this dude die in the war or not? Either way that's still a very sad story, but I'm a bit confused by how you've worded it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Iirc he was listed as dead but actually survived as a pow after the battan death match, and returned to everyones surprise much later?

I may be mixing up some guys tho.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Raxivace posted:

Wait so did this dude die in the war or not? Either way that's still a very sad story, but I'm a bit confused by how you've worded it.

He didn't die, but if I'm remembering the person correctly (and I may be getting it mixed up with another soldier because there are quite a few soldiers interviewed) he and many others surrendered quite quickly on the Philippines due to the fact they were completely cut off, and he was sent through several POW camps of increasingly awful conditions. At one point he was so sure he was going to die that he decided to throw one of his dog tags in to a mass grave that they were digging so that at least if that grave was found his parents would get some closure. The dog tags were found about two years later when the island was finally liberated from the Japanese, by which time he was on the Japanese mainland. When Japan surrendered, the guards literally just walked away from their posts they were so dispirited, so he and all the other guys with him simply walked to the station and got a train to Tokyo. It was only when he got to San Francisco that he was able to make a phone call to his parents to tell them that he was alive. He asked about the girl when he finally got home, but she was due to marry a few days later after holding out hope for about 3 years that he was alive despite the letter arriving to say he was dead after about 2 years.

It's an excellent documentary by the way, and I cannot recommend it enough. It tells the story of the war through the lens of 4 small American towns and how it affected those towns. So it concentrates on personnel from those 4 places (Mobile, Alabama - Sacramento, California - Waterbury, Connecticut and Luverne, Minnesota), the family left behind and so on. It's an odd choice, but works really well in trying to narrow down the scope of something so massive. Keith David narrates it as well, and his voice is just magical in how soothing and compelling it is. It does give a great sense of just how innocent a lot of people are about how life consuming and awful a war is despite themselves when you listen to them talk about their attitudes before the war versus their attitudes during and after the war.

DamnGlitch posted:

Iirc he was listed as dead but actually survived as a pow after the battan death match, and returned to everyones surprise much later?

I may be mixing up some guys tho.

I went and checked it, because I wasn't sure I had the right guy myself, and it's a guy named Glen Frazer (spelling could be wrong). I think one of the most chilling parts about the entire thing to me was the hearing him talk about the Bataan death march, partially because this was a thing I'd never really heard anyone mention before I suspect, but despite the fact that he was sitting at home what must be 60 odd years later and knowing that he could and would survive it he says that if he could go back in time and make himself aware of just how awful the march would be when he was setting out, that he'd have preferred to die than go through it, or go through it again.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 24, 2015

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, if the flashback wasn't so well done I'd probably be less pleased with the placement. I am eager to get back to the present, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The Origin is designed to effectively be a self-contained work that assumes no knowledge of Gundam, and the flashback 'ruins' several mysteries of the show beforehand.

Eh, that's fair, but it's still a bad pace breaker. They'd also have worked better scattered throughout all the chapters instead; the flashback was so long that by about two thirds of the way through I really wanted to get back to White Base.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Happy Christmas Eve everyone!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Merry Christmas everyone!

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
There was recently a shirt made that just has "Say it ain't so Bernie!" printed on and I would have bought it if I wouldn't have to explain its not a political thing.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Not Dave posted:

There was recently a shirt made that just has "Say it ain't so Bernie!" printed on and I would have bought it if I wouldn't have to explain its not a political thing.

If anyone asked, you could tell 'em that it's a saying from local burger joint at somewhere you used to live.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

closeted republican posted:

If anyone asked, you could tell 'em that it's a saying from local burger joint at somewhere you used to live.

Oh yeah Bernie's, it was my favorite restaurant back in Sydney.

By the way, this time of year, the city is covered in snow, just sayin'.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Gundam Thunderbolt Ep. 01, HD + subs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVAlkOHdNME

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 25, 2015

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Thunderbolt ep 1 was really really cool.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
That POV shot from the zaku was amazing and terrifying.

And Io is right, Daryl has poo poo taste in music.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Thunderbolt was very good, Gundam is very good right now

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Looks like they've managed to adapt four-and-a-bit chapters in this first episode. It's a solid adaptation of all it's done so far, but there are twenty-eight chapters in the first arc, so I am wondering what they plan to cover in four episodes.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
The Jazz as he moves in for the kill is a brilliant concept.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

The pacing is extremely fast, they're blitzing through this to squeeze as much fight in as possible.

And geez, only sixteen minutes, not even eighteen, the last two minutes are the credits.

And reprint the Thunderbolt line already, Bandai! They didn't reprint them this month despite the OVA releasing. If they don't do it next month I'll be confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The battle is bigger than I thought if 24 units can instantly be killed and it's not an automatic loss.