Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

They are very good but they're not roguelikes. They're straight dungeon crawlers. No permadeath, you travel into dungeons and then escape and go further.

I think they're asking specifically about the mystery dungeon crossover?

That's the only one I could see calling a roguelike

E: oh there you go then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Even better. Strange that they added the 'mystery Dungeon' moniker to it then.

Mystery Dungeon is Chunsot's trademark dungeon crawler series that's basically Japanese roguelike. They're usually about running through multiple smaller dungeons and your level resets every time but you can keep any equipment or persistent world upgrades. I haven't played the Etrian Odyssey version but it looks like you can keep your level, you just lose items on death, and monsters can attack your town upgrades.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Morpheus posted:

There's a roguelike Etrian Odyssey spinoff, but the rest are dungeon crawlers. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan is the best entry point, unless you really need an involved plot to your games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Ah. There's specifically one Etrian game that is a roguelike but it's the one called Mystery Dungeon. The others are different.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Dragon Quest 6: The Dream Warriors is a cool game and I'm enjoying it a lot more than 4 for whatever reason

This iteration of the vocation system is no job system but that's okay

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah, I'm referring to EO Mystery Dungeon - I already played the others. Is that one in particular any good?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, I'm referring to EO Mystery Dungeon - I already played the others. Is that one in particular any good?

No.

I can explain more when I'm not on my phone, but someone will probably beat me to it.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I am super psyched for KH3 and World of Final Fantasy. Totally gonna play those over FF7R and FF15.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Does Trail of Cold steel play nice with a DS4? my DS3 is dead unless plugged in and I don't want to waste 40 dollars.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I don't know how much anyone cares, but I tried the PSP workout (using an exercise bike while playing PSP) tonight for the first time and it was amazing. I started up a new game on FFT: War of the Lions and the 45 minute workout took me through the intro and the two tutorial battles (the 2nd one dragged on because the chemist kept healing himself). At first I was a little shaky, but once the game got going I forgot all about how much my body was straining and even though my legs were jello by the end I was seriously considering extending it past an hour just so I could get into the random battles and building my team. And since I'm going to keep a pretty strict lock on the PSP so I only play it when exercising it makes me excited to go back to the gym.

It helped that there was a bike there with handles in just the perfect position to rest my hands on with the PSP, that went a long way toward making it a comfortable experience. With this I think I will have a perfect opportunity to play a lot of the huge timesink PSP games I've always wanted to (Disgaea 2, ZHP, 7th Dragon and all the dungeon crawler games. Maybe some SRW ones once I get to the point where I can read Japanese without focusing so hard).

Anyway if you're looking to get fit, try the PSP RPG workout plan!

(though you basically need the perfect bike since I couldn't hold my PSP comfortably on any of the others ones so your mileage may vary)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Morpheus posted:

It fuckin sucks dude

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Does Trail of Cold steel play nice with a DS4? my DS3 is dead unless plugged in and I don't want to waste 40 dollars.
It should? I think. there's a patch coming out tomorrow that should 'help compatability issues' so if it doesn't work now it might work tomorrow.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Do not get Etrian Mystery Dungeon. It is awful, and a slog. It's one of the most boring games I've played. Get an actual Mystery Dungeon game like Shiren or settle for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon or something. Super is actually a decent entry in that series. It's actually difficult for one thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

buy izuna the unemployed ninja

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
drat, its a good thing I was unable to buy it after everyone was saying it (referring to the actual EO main series) was good.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Morpheus posted:

drat, its a good thing I was unable to buy it after everyone was saying it (referring to the actual EO main series) was good.

Nobody warned me in time so I bought it a month back. I'll plug it in tonight on the job and if it sucks bad I'll sell it to ya for a fiver or something.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Endorph posted:

It should? I think. there's a patch coming out tomorrow that should 'help compatability issues' so if it doesn't work now it might work tomorrow.

Yeah, wait until tomorrow and that should work according to Xseed. That said, Vita version is running pretty great (feel guilty for not finishing up SC but not gonna wait).

EO is pretty good. EO2 Untold and especially EO4 are definitely worth playing.

Separately, there is a metric ton of cheap and great RPGs on Steam Sale. Also Oreshika is $5 on PSN.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

oblomov posted:

Separately, there is a metric ton of cheap and great RPGs on Steam Sale.

Including all the Steam versions of the FFs. 4, 7 and 8 are all dirt cheap and highly recommended if you haven't experienced them yet. Also this is the new version of 4 that has a lot more modern game sensibilities/challenge added in.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
In case anyone didn't know, Etrian Odyssey 4 is 10 bucks on the NA Eshop: http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/yVjQZH4J2mqeGIffoMxSzFGpj8jMj5U5

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Is there ever a point where Ashlynn isn't an utter garbage fire of a character

she's level 24 and advanced to armamentalist and she's still just complete and utter trash

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 23, 2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is the movement in Cold Steel supposed to be really weird if you try to run in a circle. Or is my DS4 loving up (or possibly that's a problem the compatibility patch is trying to fix? idk, that seemed like it was just for PSTV)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ruggington posted:

Is there ever a point where Ashlynn isn't an utter garbage fire of a character

she's level 24 and advanced to armamentalist and she's still just complete and utter trash

I heard in the original she resisted pretty much all forms of magic (everyone had a few resists in DQ6 SFC) which probably would have helped a lot. And the special unique spell she got later got nerfed. So, no, not really. She's kind of awful for everything but party chat since the other magey types don't die to a stiff breeze. Usually I just made her a Sage so she could healbot with her insane MP reserves.

She's one of the better characters to have around for party chat along with Amos and Carver, for what it's worth.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

She's one of the better characters to have around for party chat along with Amos and Carver, for what it's worth.

I'm taking her to the endgame just so I don't have to tolerate nevan

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tae posted:

In case anyone didn't know, Etrian Odyssey 4 is 10 bucks on the NA Eshop: http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/yVjQZH4J2mqeGIffoMxSzFGpj8jMj5U5
How does it compare to 3, a game I kinda lost interest in around the second stratum for reasons I don't remember?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Best game in the series

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

alcharagia posted:

Best game in the series
Can you be less specific?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Zereth posted:

Can you be less specific?

It's really good.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

alcharagia posted:

It's really good.
Thanks.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

What made you lose interest in 3.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr Pepper posted:

What made you lose interest in 3.
That was a long time ago man I can't remember what I did last month how do you expect me to remember things from... whenever that was?

EDIT: Oh how hard is it to level up the dedicated gathering class?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Zereth posted:

That was a long time ago man I can't remember what I did last month how do you expect me to remember things from... whenever that was?

EO4 doesn't have a dedicated gathering class. You don't need a skill to gather.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

:shittypop: Well that's some good loving news right there. What's respeccing like?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
EO4's one of the easiest games in the series, and it's really easy to get into. It's a lot more user friendly, the cost for respeccing got dropped from 5 levels to 2, and the class balance is just better all around. So you can make parties of whatever you'd like, and probably won't get horribly stuck later on.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Also the main dungeons are a bit more bitesize, and there's a ton of little side dungeons with unique gimmicks. Both are pretty easy to get to without slogging through a bunch of other floors.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

gently caress it I guess I'm buying the game.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Dr. Fetus posted:

EO4's one of the easiest games in the series, and it's really easy to get into. It's a lot more user friendly, the cost for respeccing got dropped from 5 levels to 2, and the class balance is just better all around. So you can make parties of whatever you'd like, and probably won't get horribly stuck later on.

It's also pretty painless to level up new characters if you wanna play around with your party composition. Every time you finish a section of the game you're given a couple of items that will instantly level up one character to be on par with the level the game expects you to be at that point, and there are some really easy grinding methods that start to become accessible about a quarter of the way into the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zereth posted:

For EO3, there's a skill that gives inactive party members a percentage of the EXP from battle, so just make 5 farmers and set them all up with that, and be sure to go back and rank up that skill every few levels they get.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Exist Archive debuted at 20k in Japan which is uh....man, I hope for their sake the lovely bratz models saved them a ton of money.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Tried out the Oreshika demo today, probably grabbing it while it's on sale after Christmas. Anything I should keep in mind about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is Hexyz Force a good game?