Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
Ugh, 30+ gifts right now and no Centurion. Why is everyone else's RNG so good and mine so bad?
:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Melchior posted:

It's because pubs love LRMs

It's true. Last night we dropped against a group of MS twice that had reached the pinnacle of pubbie evolution.

They had a raven run all over with a narc while the other 9 people drove lrm 60-80's.

With such practiced efficiency in "stand still, click button", they easily routed the group of fall-over-drunk (I can really only speak for TMerc and myself) goons in our bad brawler builds. We managed to kill a few, but it was only in true e-kamakazi style.

:911:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Yolomon Wayne posted:

On the matter "at hand" (it will still be several days until i can afford a dire wolf), will this thing be able to alpha 8x large lasers + 14 clan double heatsinks without melting?

Also pay close attention to the omnipods you are using, direwolves get lovely laser heat generating quirks for some of their omnipods, meant to nerf laser boating. The only way to check them is to view a mech in the mechbay, and mouse over the different omnipods as though you are going to switch it out. The DFW-Prime arms are the worst offenders, at 7.5% more heat generated per arm so 15 for both. the torsos with jumpjets (A or S i forget which) and 2x energy hardpoints also get a less severe nerf, though the utility of JJ's are worth taking one torso, I really miss them when I run a dakkawolf

Also if you are in the market for a direwolf buy the DFW-W direwolf first, it gets two penalty free energy slots in the CT making it the best choice

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 23, 2015

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Willfrey posted:

Also pay close attention to the omnipods you are using, direwolves get lovely laser heat generating quirks for some of their omnipods, meant to nerf laser boating. The only way to check them is to view a mech in the mechbay, and mouse over the different omnipods as though you are going to switch it out. The DFW-Prime arms are the worst offenders, at 7.5% more heat generated per arm so 15 for both. the torsos with jumpjets (A or S i forget which) and 2x energy hardpoints also get a less severe nerf, though the utility of JJ's are worth taking one torso, I really miss them when I run a dakkawolf

Also if you are in the market for a direwolf buy the DFW-W direwolf first, it gets two penalty free energy slots in the CT making it the best choice

I've been working on mastery for the Direwolf and my prime (4x Pulse LL, 2x UAC/5, etc etc) runs way hotter than the 4x UAC2, 1xLB10X variant. Not a huge deal but for the time being I'm keeping the set straight for the XP bonus on them. Once I'm mastered though, no real reason.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Melchior posted:

I've been working on mastery for the Direwolf and my prime (4x Pulse LL, 2x UAC/5, etc etc) runs way hotter than the 4x UAC2, 1xLB10X variant. Not a huge deal but for the time being I'm keeping the set straight for the XP bonus on them. Once I'm mastered though, no real reason.

i have a prime, but really you shouldnt buy them now that the jj variant exists. there are two variants that get laser points in the ct, and another that gets a jj. Its easy to see the prime and think omg wow 8 energy points and 2 ballistics in the arms alone, but its a sham!

also not to build shame, but man, give the metamechs direwolf w a try, hands down my fave dfw build

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
Did they change the chassis perks for Clan mechs? The duration on the large lasers was so long that I felt like I was trading very ineffectively in most situations that weren't like 800m away.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Clan ER large lasers are bad. Don't use them on your lights. Don't use them on your mediums, don't use them on your heavies, and for god's sake don't use them on your assaults.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
At what amount do small pulse lasers trigger ghost heat? I'm running around with 6 of the things on my Arctic Cheetah and heat isn't usually an issue unless I fight the same battle for too long. If I could find a way to squeeze one more on that might be fun. Despite the complete lack of any ranged game, I'm still enjoying that little thing more than anything else I have tried. I had a Stormcrow for a while before I understood the game much and didn't like it (I have wasted soooo many C-bills screwing around, but real money spent is still at $0). I have a terribly designed Thunderbolt now but I do better in my fast little bugger than I ever do in it. Later I'm going to try out that Centurion.

I haven't even touched assaults yet, fearing being the guy who takes up a valuable assault mech slot, but stinks.

Also I guess I have played enough now that I should look into playing with some goons. I still haven't tried faction mode (I don't even own enough tonnage to come close to 250 tons or whatever the cap is), but I play a lot of skirmish and I have Mumble somewhere on my machine. My pilot name is Gravynaut.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

A.o.D. posted:

Clan All ER large lasers are bad. Don't use them on your lights. Don't use them on your mediums, don't use them on your heavies, and for god's sake don't use them on your assaults.

I know I've been away from the game for a long time, but even while I was playing regularly ER Larges were always hot garbage in any scenario for either faction.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Clan ER Larges are generally CW-only. The burn time is too long for group/solo play

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

crowbb posted:

At what amount do small pulse lasers trigger ghost heat? I'm running around with 6 of the things on my Arctic Cheetah and heat isn't usually an issue unless I fight the same battle for too long. If I could find a way to squeeze one more on that might be fun. Despite the complete lack of any ranged game, I'm still enjoying that little thing more than anything else I have tried. I had a Stormcrow for a while before I understood the game much and didn't like it (I have wasted soooo many C-bills screwing around, but real money spent is still at $0). I have a terribly designed Thunderbolt now but I do better in my fast little bugger than I ever do in it. Later I'm going to try out that Centurion.
6 small pulse is the limit before you hit ghost heat. 6xsml pulse + ecm is the all purpose optimal arctic cheetah build. There's other things you can do, but none of the other fits are as good.

You hosed up on the stormcrow. That's the best medium in the game. The only things it can't do are fit ecm and/or jump. It does every other role, and does them about as well as a medium can do them.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So the last time I played in earnest was around the time of launch, and my only owned mech is an old Catapult-K2 fitted up with two gauss rifles, from when that was actually still a thing. Is this at all still viable with the gauss changes, and is there a recommended fit for the CPLT-K2 now?

Drone fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 23, 2015

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

crowbb posted:

I haven't even touched assaults yet, fearing being the guy who takes up a valuable assault mech slot, but stinks.

Also I guess I have played enough now that I should look into playing with some goons. I still haven't tried faction mode (I don't even own enough tonnage to come close to 250 tons or whatever the cap is), but I play a lot of skirmish and I have Mumble somewhere on my machine. My pilot name is Gravynaut.

Ghost Heat starts at 7.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

A.o.D. posted:

6 small pulse is the limit before you hit ghost heat. 6xsml pulse + ecm is the all purpose optimal arctic cheetah build. There's other things you can do, but none of the other fits are as good.

You hosed up on the stormcrow. That's the best medium in the game. The only things it can't do are fit ecm and/or jump. It does every other role, and does them about as well as a medium can do them.

To add to this, the stormcrow moves at over 100kph and carries more damage output than an IS heavy. It really is a dirty dirty mech. I just wish I could get my hands on one that had a cbill bonus. It just feels wrong playing a mech without the 30% bonus these days.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Willfrey posted:

i have a prime, but really you shouldnt buy them now that the jj variant exists. there are two variants that get laser points in the ct, and another that gets a jj. Its easy to see the prime and think omg wow 8 energy points and 2 ballistics in the arms alone, but its a sham!

also not to build shame, but man, give the metamechs direwolf w a try, hands down my fave dfw build

Oh, I will. I'm just using the money for other things at the moment instead of modules/omnipods

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I found the One True AH Build:

3xAC/2, 3xSRM-2.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I just played a few games with a couple SPQR people by chance in solo queue. They are extremely vocal, emotional teenagers. We should make a point to clown on them in the future when we face their stacks.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Drone posted:

So the last time I played in earnest was around the time of launch, and my only owned mech is an old Catapult-K2 fitted up with two gauss rifles, from when that was actually still a thing. Is this at all still viable with the gauss changes, and is there a recommended fit for the CPLT-K2 now?

In short: no. Gauss are so explosive that your side torso will blow up as soon as the armor is gone. Good news: they've fixed the cockpit size, so I've never been headcapped once. Bad news: you still can't protect your CT for poo poo.

But I'm having fun dropping in a K2 with a Std260 and 2 AC/20s. I've experimented with various bad builds on that poor K2, but 2 AC/20s is probably the best fit atm; you'll have to be a bit coward and stick behind assaults all game, though, cause as soon as someone starts firing on you - especially if it's not under 300m - you're going to have a bad case of death.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 23, 2015

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
another bad thing about the K2's that was changed from ye olde days of yore is your torso pitch angle was reduced, cant hit people high up slopes

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

That Italian Guy posted:

In short: no. Gauss are so explosive that your side torso will blow up as soon as the armor is gone. Good news: they've fixed the cockpit size, so I've never been headcapped once. Bad news: you still can't protect your CT for poo poo.

But I'm having fun dropping in a K2 with a Std260 and 2 AC/20s. I've experimented with various bad builds on that poor K2, but 2 AC/20s is probably the best fit atm; you'll have to be a bit coward and stick behind assaults all game, though, cause as soon as someone starts firing on you - especially if it's not under 300m - you're going to have a bad case of death.

I've been having a good amount of luck with the CPLT-A1(C) that's on the current free rotation (2 SRM + 2 LRM with Artemis), at least as far as farming those stocking stuffers goes. It's not exactly high skill leet PVP sitting behind everything and spamming LRM's, but it's effective, getting me a few kills and a boatload of assists per match.

Anyone around that can invite to WoL now that it's a reasonable hour? In-game as Amadeus Chuggs.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Willfrey posted:

another bad thing about the K2's that was changed from ye olde days of yore is your torso pitch angle was reduced, cant hit people high up slopes

The jager does everything the K2 can do except better :(

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

veedubfreak posted:

The jager does everything the K2 can do except better :(

I know...but I own a K2 and I don't want to get a Jaeger :colbert:

I guess you could also go for an energy build and have something like this? CPLT-K2 Take care, though, cause PPCs get massive Ghost Heat penalties if you fire more than 2 of them at the same time. if you like to live dangerously, move another one to the left ear from the LT. (better angle, but you'll lose it soon).

Or get some LPLs instead (cause they're good now), but getting into close range without being able to instantly core out your opponents could be a bad idea.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Ice Fist posted:

I know I've been away from the game for a long time, but even while I was playing regularly ER Larges were always hot garbage in any scenario for either faction.

ER larges are what I roll with when I solo, its too easy for a brawl to go horribly wrong with how passive pubbies can be. Usually try to stick 3 of'em on a mech and then rest of energy hardpoints with small pulse lasers if possible.

veedubfreak posted:

To add to this, the stormcrow moves at over 100kph and carries more damage output than an IS heavy. It really is a dirty dirty mech. I just wish I could get my hands on one that had a cbill bonus. It just feels wrong playing a mech without the 30% bonus these days.

Hey atleast IS mechs have gotten better with the structure/armor quirks now, but jesus gently caress clan mechs when those things were released.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I don't know what it is.. but the only assault mech i like is the Stalker. It just clicks with me, constantly getting 600+ damage.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
On ghost heat: what if i dont alpha, but fire 4 lasers, then with a short delay the other 4?
Does ghost heat only apply to "true" alpha strikes or just "weapon groups"?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Yolomon Wayne posted:

On ghost heat: what if i dont alpha, but fire 4 lasers, then with a short delay the other 4?

you'd have to alpha up to the ghost heat limit for each weapon at a time to avoid ghost heat. if you fire another one (or two, or three, or four) within .5 seconds, you get a ghost heat penalty

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Yolomon Wayne posted:

This is what heat scale is supposed to make you do. It applies to concurrent weapons fired within a .5 second window. This is why chain fire doesn't trigger it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Drakes posted:

ER larges are what I roll with when I solo, its too easy for a brawl to go horribly wrong with how passive pubbies can be. Usually try to stick 3 of'em on a mech and then rest of energy hardpoints with small pulse lasers if possible.

I've never come across a situation where the additional heat created by IS ER Larges was ever worth the extra range they get over a standard Large. Unless their heat generation was somehow lowered in a patch I missed.

In any case, in this game of crappy robots to each his own.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Iirc while the er versions heat and range are higher their rate of fire is slightly slower so it ends up being very comparable heat per second.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
They only generate 1 more heat than LLs, not a massive hit if you're playing the pop and cover game.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Drakes posted:

They only generate 1 more heat than LLs, not a massive hit if you're playing the pop and cover game.

You've convinced me to give them a whirl on my sniper Stalker.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Well i got the Grand Prize Mech after 2 games today (+5 from yesterday i didnt know i had to redeem), is there any point in pressing this any further?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Wait when did they even add IS ER Large Lasers?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

FYI:

quote:

https://twitter.com/caeten/status/679750844028338177
Hmm...what's this? Is Santa coming early to #MWO? @MechWarriorF2P

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Well i got the Grand Prize Mech after 2 games today (+5 from yesterday i didnt know i had to redeem), is there any point in pressing this any further?

I got Christmas lights, if that interests you

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You can get cockpit items, MC and cbills and all you have to do to earn pulls is just play the game. There's no real reason to not claim your rewards if you're already playing anyway.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Yes, unless you dislike free C-bills and MCs (plus possible consumables and cosmetic items).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

At a glance, I don't follow what we're pulling from this. Gift certificates? Fitbit stats? That the Archer is so bad you have to use it as substitute for coal in a stocking?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
By "pressing" i meant "spend day and night reaching 75/75 games".
Ofc i wont uninstall now, but im not missing out on anything crucial.

Also the gift-mech seems... lame?
I mean the cannon is nice, but no chance for lasers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Have fun today. :D

• Locked thread