Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fiction posted:

I think TDD is just angry that Obama will never have a catastrophic foreign policy fuckup that will temper the Democrats' election chances for decades to come.

That was the Syrian red-line, Fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://www.azfamily.com/story/30816...ic&sf17590415=1

quote:

POCATELLO, ID (KPVI/CNN) - A school lunch lady says she is out of a job for giving a free meal to a child.

Dalene Bowden says she gave the meal to a middle school student who said she didn't have any money.

"My heart hurts. I truly loved my job, and I can't say that I wouldn't do it again," said Bowden.

It's been a week since Bowden lost her job at Irving Middle School.

“What do you do? Send them out there, so they can get it taken away and thrown away? No," she said.

Last Tuesday, Bowden was working as a server when a 12-year-old girl told her she didn't have any lunch money and was hungry.

"So, I handed her the food and said, 'Here. We'll take care of it in a minute,'" she said.

Bowden's supervisor saw what happened and reported her.

"He said I was on permanent leave until he called me. I should not call them. He will call me. And they never called me. I got the letter," Bowden said.

The letter was signed and written by the school district director of human resources. In that letter, Bowden was terminated for "theft."

Bowden told a local newspaper she offered to pay for the $1.70 meal, but her supervisor rejected the offer.

Merry Christmas! Don't forget, nothing good ever happens in the world!

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Luigi Thirty posted:

Red states red states lovely loving red states, red states red states all are run by wanks.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Look if employees pay the dollar and change to feed a hungry child how will that child benefit from hunger motivsting her to better success.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2009/06/21/46862/cynthia-davis-hunger/

My child doesn't need that kind of help though. It's a sacrifice we're willing to make.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radish posted:

Look if employees pay the dollar and change to feed a hungry child how will that child benefit from hunger motivsting her to better success.

My child doesn't need that kind of help though. It's a sacrifice we're willing to make.

Have you forgotten the christmas spirit?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
"Close enough," Newt Gingrich said to himself.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Giving away food that you then offer to pay for is theft :psyduck:

Please let there somehow be some way for her attorney to sue the school district into the ground :pray:

EDIT: Never fear though, looks like some red states follow the drat rules, thank you very much

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Radish posted:

Some schools have the solution to this in that they make those welfare princesses perform cafeteria labor to receive their free lunches.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Antti posted:

I read Crooked by Austin Grossman a few weeks ago (it's actually not that great and I would not recommend it) and both Crooked and Secret Honor have this obsession with the idea that Nixon's actions were justified by some higher purpose that has been kept hidden from the people for their own good. It's interesting but also disturbing that this seems to be so fascinating to people, that he wasn't actually a crook, but taking one for the team. I guess it's a way to cope with the fact that a US President got caught being corrupt.

Of course, both works here can be interpreted as fever dreams and rationalizations invented by Nixon himself, as Nixon is the narrator in both. In Secret Honor, Nixon explains that an illuminati-type conspiracy was planning for him to stay in office for a third term and to keep the war in Vietnam going, and he staged Watergate to create himself an escape hatch. Similarly, in Crooked, the actual explanation is far more fanciful but still has the same core idea: the US is beset by supernatural threats, and Henry "War Criminal" Kissinger is actually a millennia old sorcerer who wants to install Nixon as an Eternal President to protect the country against these paranormal enemies, and Nixon, feeling trapped, self-immolates so that he can't be the figurehead Kissinger needs. I only wish the book were nearly as interesting as the premise suggests.

Oh no, I wasn't taking it seriously. It is just a tremendous one man performance and I thought it was obviously just making up a fun little story

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You can't offer to pay for something after you give it away. That's still theft. If she was working at any restaurant, gave away a meal, and then offered to pay for it after she was caught, she would still be fired.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

You can't offer to pay for something after you give it away. That's still theft. If she was working at any restaurant, gave away a meal, and then offered to pay for it after she was caught, she would still be fired.

Sometimes, you should give away food to malnourished children, greatn. Not all folk will click to give a dollar at their whole foods checkout.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

greatn posted:

So many dirty thieves out there giving away food these days. Hopefully they'll all be caught red handed, and their offers to pay for their crimes brutally rebuffed.

EDIT: Also, as indicated by the link I posted, if anything the cafeteria worker should be awarded for preventing a PR nightmare for the school district.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Combed Thunderclap posted:

So many dirty thieves out there giving away food these days. Hopefully they'll all be caught red handed, and their offers to pay for their crimes brutally rebuffed.

Sometimes we even label these dirty thieves with incorporations as food depositories! The horrors of all horrors

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm just saying she has absolutely no legal recourse. She broke the rules and was terminated. Her boss is an rear end in a top hat but it doesn't matter.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

In voice of John Taffer you're a thief taking money from your employer you're a dirty thief and a failure!!! Say it! Admit it that you're a thief and a failure!!' *eyes bulge*

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Too bad she wasn't in a union.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My wife has that same problem at her school. They have gotten strict about throwing food away when she used to be able to give the meals away to kids. This is at a school for mostly black and Hispanic kids that are extremely poor.

Americain2015.txt

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FlamingLiberal posted:

My wife has that same problem at her school. They have gotten strict about throwing food away when she used to be able to give the meals away to kids. This is at a school for mostly black and Hispanic kids that are extremely poor.

Americain2015.txt

Aren't they eligible for free/reduced lunch?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The meals they give out now are very small, and a lot of times the kids were taking them home for dinner

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FlamingLiberal posted:

Americain2015.txt

It's part of the Michelle Obama initiative to improve school lunches and decrease waste. One of the metrics schools are graded upon now is how much food they waste.

Unfortunately, like most Obama initiatives other than ACA, the unintended consequences oft outweigh the original intent when it comes to practical implementation.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The meals they give out now are very small, and a lot of times the kids were taking them home for dinner
Where I did field (a poor district) it was a small juice container and a pack of crackers :smith:

/e- Some homeless kids didn't get it either as I guess it required > 0 parent interaction to get the waiver. This was in 09 so hopefully it's gotten better but I know it hasn't.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

Americain2015.txt

Speaking of that

Vox.com posted:

Poor pregnancy outcomes can happen for any number of reasons. If the courts equate poor choices during pregnancy with child abuse, then poverty and bad nutrition can become criminal acts. Realistically speaking, nobody's going to throw a wealthy white woman in jail for eating sushi during her pregnancy if she happens to have a miscarriage afterward. They could try, of course. But NAPW found that black women and economically disadvantaged women are more likely to be arrested and charged for pregnancy-related issues. Prosecutors are more likely to succeed if the woman they're charging is marginalized and has fewer resources to fight back, or if she has done something stigmatized like using drugs or attempting self-harm.

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/23/10656860/coat-hanger-abortion-pregnancy-murder

Coat hanger abortions are making a come back. Who could have possibly ever in a million years have predicted such a bizarre outcome. Just shocking really. Never could have seen it coming. Oh well I guess as long as those dirty sex havers are slutting it up with their slut ways we'll have to put in more bullshit restrictions. It's totally OK though, white women with money, you can still have your moral abortions.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Boon posted:

I think your former point is valid, but removes the underlying premise of an ultimately ambiguous and ill-defined war. Whether we admit it or not, we are in a war right now in all but name. If Congress was doing it's job we'd be able to better address your first point, but it's not and we're currently acting on political and (probably) realistic necessity on a AUMF that is not intended to apply here.

The second point is... I can see the distaste for it, but there really isn't much of a viable alternative in the current state of war.

I'm not sure I agree that congressional involvement would improve the secrecy part rather than simply rubber stamping it, although it might. Nor do I have a solution to the lack of confrontation. Since I wrote that post I've been trying to refine my thinking on my objections to the drone program, since it might actually be legal. It boils down to the fact that the al-Awlaki strike is being legally justified based on precedent set by men to whom the modern drone program could credibly be described as "wishing away your enemies in secret, and having that wish granted." If The Iron Rose's argument holds water, then it is certainly time to revisit the question about how the military acts towards American citizens.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Jia Tolentini has a fantastic essay up at Jezebel this morning about navigating the waters of the online outrage machine as the editor of a feminist website.

Well worth the read.

(Edited to fix bad typo, phone-posting)

GalacticAcid fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 23, 2015

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

greatn posted:

gently caress that and gently caress you, giving food that is going to be thrown out to the hungry is not theft.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mulva posted:

gently caress that and gently caress you, giving food that is going to be thrown out to the hungry is not theft.

Anyone else remember when grocery stores were discussing poisoning loaves of bread and other food that they throw out in order to avoid homeless from digging through their trash?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Unfortunately, like most Obama initiatives other than ACA, the unintended consequences oft outweigh the original intent when it comes to practical implementation.

And that's only because the "painful" parts of the ACA keep being delayed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I've heard of some stores throwing other trash in with the old food to ruin it

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

No, because the world is made of piss.

Also you need snow.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
For one, gently caress Pocatello. It's a hellish pit out near the desert full of Mormons.

She was warned about giving out food earlier, too. Plus the kid could have gotten a free pb&j for just that sort of situation.

School's in the right to enforce their lovely policy. In Idaho, if a school is poor enough they can qualify for 100% free lunches but alas Pocatello isn't. Personally, I'd take a 0.00429% income tax above 50k/yr increase to feed every kid in Idaho for free but I'm a liberal pansy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Gravel Gravy posted:

Anyone else remember when grocery stores were discussing poisoning loaves of bread and other food that they throw out in order to avoid homeless from digging through their trash?

Steinbeck is always relevant:

quote:

The works of the roots of the vines, of the trees, must be destroyed to keep up the price, and this is the saddest, bitterest thing of all. Carloads of oranges dumped on the ground. The people came for miles to take the fruit, but this could not be. How would they buy oranges at twenty cents a dozen if they could drive out and pick them up? And men with hoses squirt kerosene on the oranges, and they are angry at the crime, angry at the people who have come to take the fruit. A million people hungry, needing the fruit—and kerosene spayed over the golden mountains.
And the smell of rot fills the country.
Burn coffee for fuel in the ships. Burn corn to keep warm, it makes a hot fire. Dump potatoes in the river and place guards along the banks to keep the hungry people from fishing them out. Slaughter the pigs and bury them, and let the putrescence drip down into the earth.
There is a crime here that goes beyond denunciation. There is a sorrow here that weeping cannot symbolize. There is a failure here that topples all our success. The fertile earth, the straight tree rows, the sturdy trunks, and the ripe fruit. And children dying of pellagra must die because a profit cannot be taken from an orange. And coroners must fill in the certificates—died of malnutrition---because the food must rot, must be forced to rot.
The people come with nets to fish for potatoes in the river, and the guards hold them back; they come in rattling cars to get the dumped oranges, but the kerosene is sprayed. And they stand still and watch the potatoes float by, listen to the screaming pigs being killed in a ditch and covered with quicklime, watch the mountains of oranges slop down to a putrefying ooze; and in the eyes of the people there is the failure; and in the eyes of the hungry there is a growing wrath. In the souls of the people the grapes of wrath are filling and growing heavy, growing heavy for the vintage.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

You forgot this 55 year old Trump supporter who expressed his wishes to harm Muslims and had a bomb in his apartment.

DemeaninDemon posted:

For one, gently caress Pocatello. It's a hellish pit out near the desert full of Mormons.

There's pretty good climbing there.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Idaho's school system is an absolute disaster for any number of reasons. Tom Luna's tenure as superintendent is one of the most nakedly corrupt things I've ever seen in politics. [There are more corrupt things, but never quite so.. blatant]

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Mulva posted:

:capitalism:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

DemeaninDemon posted:

She was warned about giving out food earlier, too. Plus the kid could have gotten a free pb&j for just that sort of situation.

School's in the right to enforce their lovely policy. In Idaho, if a school is poor enough they can qualify for 100% free lunches but alas Pocatello isn't. Personally, I'd take a 0.00429% income tax above 50k/yr increase to feed every kid in Idaho for free but I'm a liberal pansy.

Part of what makes being a poor kid in school is the perceptions of your peers.

When I volunteered to put together students' weekly lunches they included an innocuous looking lunchbox so other students wouldn't know their lunches were being provided by charity.

Taking the kid out of the lunch line and being handed a second class lunch would've been a lovely thing to do.

edit: Further what kind of school would scoop the lunch off the kids tray when they were already at the register? Pretty sure putting back in circulation would likely violate a health code, so unless you are advocating for tossing food into the trash to spite poor people you may as well give it to the kid and move on.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 23, 2015

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

His Tolentini has a fantastic essay up at Jezebel this morning about navigating the waters of the online outrage machine as the editor of a feminist website.

Well worth the read.

Thanks for sharing. The part about defining yourself by outrage sums up a lot of the liberal pseudo-activist sphere, myself included at times. It would have been nice to have some sort of editorial decisions at the end, but I suppose that if it were that easy to tackle the inherent tensions of internet feminism someone would have done it already.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

DemeaninDemon posted:

School's in the right to enforce their lovely policy.
This sentence doesn't make any sense.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

T. Bombastus posted:

School's in the right to enforce their lovely policy.

The school is in the right to enforce their lovely policy

The school is correct to enforce the school's lovely policy

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

T. Bombastus posted:

Sure it does, it's just a completely lazy interpretation of law.

"Sure it seems overboard to expel the student for keeping a pocket knife/midol in their car but zero tolerance." :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Malmesbury Monster posted:

Thanks for sharing. The part about defining yourself by outrage sums up a lot of the liberal pseudo-activist sphere, myself included at times. It would have been nice to have some sort of editorial decisions at the end, but I suppose that if it were that easy to tackle the inherent tensions of internet feminism someone would have done it already.

agreed. it doesnt help anyone and it ends up pushing many/alot of people away. you can't outrage as core part of your ideals and then use for every situation. its not going mean poo poo after a while and people are going to see you as a thin skinned prude/rear end in a top hat. but when something actually hosed up and offensive and you cry outrage, no one is going to believe you. it doesnt help that most of these people want to pretend to be "cultural critics" so they poison the criticism well too. they misconstrue criticism for offence. its why i have started to give up on internet/college left/feminism. hopefully people can turn it around.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 23, 2015

• Locked thread