Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

And then there's cases like my one friend back in school whose parents had a snack cabinet where we regularly unearthed poo poo with best before dates 5+ years back.
Amateur. When I was in my late 20s we cleaned out my grans pantry and found stuff from before I was born.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
When I was a tween we had home-made plum sauce in our pantry older than I was. Still just as inedible as the day it was made, too.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Re: milk: cartons don't allow UV to reach the milk, and are more thermally stable than plastic jugs. Cold milk in thick UV-proofed glass keeps for a long long time.

Re: eggs: they go bad way before they smell/taste/look bad, aside from the occasional quick stinker. The white starts breaking down as soon as it leaves the hen, but it's a parabola. For the first ~two weeks (assuming they're refrigerated), the decay is almost unnoticeable, but it snowballs quickly once it starts. Young eggs have thick mucosal whites, which are great for pretty much anything calling for egg whites. Old eggs have whites that are runny, can be as thin as water, and they can't be used for anything structural like meringues or angel food cake.

Re: crappy construction: we're visiting my grandma, and her kitchen floor is a pretty impressive example of why fake-wood plastic tiles (that have been so popular this past decade) over a cement radiant heat floor are a terrible idea in an area that gets wet. The rest of the ground floor is still immaculate ten+ years later, but in the kitchen the tiles' short edges have all shrunk away from each other by about a quarter inch, and some are curling at the edges as well. :smith:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Bad Munki posted:

That video about little beavers was boring.

you make a machine that digs small holes through dirt, want to name it after a mammal and dont immediately go for mole smdh

yes the beaver, well known for its underground tunneling capabilities

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Enourmo posted:

you make a machine that digs small holes through dirt, want to name it after a mammal and dont immediately go for mole smdh

yes the beaver, well known for its underground tunneling capabilities

The augur should have foreseen this problem

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jaguars! posted:

I think Pony's landlord's problem is that they have to somehow connect up to the pipe underneath a house with no void underneath it. So in the end, they somehow need to get someone's hands under the house. Sucks to be that guy, I guess.

Yup! A quick sketch might help.

Black is the original house footprint and red is the old plumbing. The sewer exited the back because there was long long ago a septic tank in the back yard. When the city sewer was put in place they just ran the sewer around the house. Then they put in the blue addition slab so you can't easily get to the pipe and got themselves into the current predicament. Brown is the second bath line so they can't just relocate the line to come in the front of the building.

Slab foundations are just the worst. I mean they all have their problems but at least with pier and beam you can relocate or replace plumbing/utilities relatively easily.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

ExplodingSims posted:

Good God, that has to be miserable after a shower. :gonk:
Like, if I don't crank the A/C down and leave the fan running when I take a shower, and my bathroom still feels like a humid hell.
When I build my own house I'm a commercial grade hood exhaust fan for the bathroom. gently caress humidity.

You can just build your shower steam shower style, fully enclosed, and then it won't make the rest of the bathroom all humid.

Shifty Pony posted:

Well the problem is you can bore under the slab all you want but you need to tie the new pipe into the existing plumbing and that takes a person. Sure you can jackhammer up the slab to get down there to do that but then you have weakened the foundation which is what you were trying to avoid in the first place. It makes more sense to just go ahead and excavate a good enough tunnel to send someone in to do the plumbing and use the existing drains. Saves you the cost of the fancy boring machine too.

You people have some strange ideas about slabs. Most of the slab isn't structural. Taking a jackhammer to make a big enough hole to make a plumbing connection is just a couple hours work, doesn't weaken the foundation, and generally isn't a big deal. Directional boring can still be quite valuable for running pipe to meet up in that hole.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Yup! A quick sketch might help.

Black is the original house footprint and red is the old plumbing. The sewer exited the back because there was long long ago a septic tank in the back yard. When the city sewer was put in place they just ran the sewer around the house. Then they put in the blue addition slab so you can't easily get to the pipe and got themselves into the current predicament. Brown is the second bath line so they can't just relocate the line to come in the front of the building.

Slab foundations are just the worst. I mean they all have their problems but at least with pier and beam you can relocate or replace plumbing/utilities relatively easily.

So.....you blow a hole in the slab where necessary and directionally drill to it. Install pipe, backfill with modified and patch the concrete.

This is standard procedure. It works just fine. When done properly is causes absolutely no problems.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He didn't say, but carving into the slab is a big deal if all you have is like 18" high crawlspace instead of an actual basement you can stand up in.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Leperflesh posted:

He didn't say, but carving into the slab is a big deal if all you have is like 18" high crawlspace instead of an actual basement you can stand up in.

If it's a slab, there is no crawlspace.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Crawlspaces can have slabs (although that is clearly not what is in question here).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Magnus Praeda posted:

If it's a slab, there is no crawlspace.

Or what, the house police show up and confiscate the house?

I've seen crawlspace/slab construction here in California quite frequently.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Bad Munki posted:

you deserve recognition for this one

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Bad Munki posted:

god dammit

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Or what, the house police show up and confiscate the house?

I've seen crawlspace/slab construction here in California quite frequently.

That's not called a "slab". It's called a "suspended slab" because it's a very important distinction. Maybe OP didn't know the difference.

But around here suspended slabs are typically pre-stressed concrete that is brought in. And no, you don't want to indiscriminately blow through that, but core drilling is absolutely fine within reasonable limits (which will be specified by the manufacturer often as well as code).

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Frogmanv2 posted:

Amateur. When I was in my late 20s we cleaned out my grans pantry and found stuff from before I was born.

I'll do you one better, I have a sealed bottle of Watkins Vanilla from somewhere in the mid 40's. My wife won't let me open it. I think it's probably fine.

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

mostlygray posted:

I'll do you one better, I have a sealed bottle of Watkins Vanilla from somewhere in the mid 40's. My wife won't let me open it. I think it's probably fine.

30-40% alcohol in a sealed environment is too dangerous. Send it to me and I'll test it for you.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Shifty Pony posted:

In a literal crappy construction tale it turns out that the sewer line under my house was put in with so little fall that the slight settling of the foundation over 40 years has resulted in sections which force the waste to flow uphill.

I am so glad I'm not the owner because they are going to have to tunnel under the slab to fix it.

My house's foundation shifted enough that the black iron sewer line under the house is cracked on it's top side. It's still perfectly functional, unless that crack starts to let dirt and stuff into the line to clog it, which I suspect is happening. I've had to auger it out every few months until recently. Haven't had to for 6 months or so.
We found this out when we were looking into stabilizing the center of the foundation with expanding foam (the perimeter already has piers) and they had to do a plumbing inspection, because of course the expanding foam will force it's way into any cracks. They pressure tested, which failed, then ran a camera down the pipe. Cracked for like 20'. Obviously, I didn't get the foam jacking done, because I can't afford to replace the entire damned sewer line, under the house.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Darchangel posted:

My house's foundation shifted enough that the black iron sewer line under the house is cracked on it's top side. It's still perfectly functional, unless that crack starts to let dirt and stuff into the line to clog it, which I suspect is happening. I've had to auger it out every few months until recently. Haven't had to for 6 months or so.
We found this out when we were looking into stabilizing the center of the foundation with expanding foam (the perimeter already has piers) and they had to do a plumbing inspection, because of course the expanding foam will force it's way into any cracks. They pressure tested, which failed, then ran a camera down the pipe. Cracked for like 20'. Obviously, I didn't get the foam jacking done, because I can't afford to replace the entire damned sewer line, under the house.

Hope you don't have any trees or deep rooted vegetation anywhere nearby, because they'll seek out that crack and clog up your line with tap roots faster than you know

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Hope you don't have any trees or deep rooted vegetation anywhere nearby, because they'll seek out that crack and clog up your line with tap roots faster than you know

My mum had this problem with her clay/ceramic sewage pipes. There's an attachment that goes on the end of those flexible drain unblocker motor things that are designed for this problem.

Sure, they only cut the roots back for 6 months, but they give you enough time to get the capital to replace the pipes.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Can't you do the foam and then auger though the right after with a mincing attachment? I imagine that the foam in the pipe will give easily. Obviously, something lie this is only worth trying if you have a plan B ready.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Nitrox posted:

Can't you do the foam and then auger though the right after with a mincing attachment? I imagine that the foam in the pipe will give easily. Obviously, something lie this is only worth trying if you have a plan B ready.

Or run an inflatable bladder the length of the crack before foaming. The trouble though is that if the foam works as planned, then the foam is going to be distributing a lot of new weight to that area from now on.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
haven't kept up with this thread for a while but here's my contribution:

http://imgur.com/a/TL6Uk

the previous owner of my house had her "contractor" brother convert part of the garage into a laundry room.

Apparently gang boxes are used whenever you need to extend a wire run? I think the gang boxes were formerly installed in the garage and were merely pulled up to the attic and piggybacked the new laundry room off that same wiring.

Couldn't even bother to run a separate circuit, even though it would have taken less than 100' of wire.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

Apparently gang boxes are used whenever you need to extend a wire run?
Yes, that's what they are for. other than a sloppy execution, there is nothing wring with the wires

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Is there a difference between a junction box and a gang box? Sounds like the same thing. Anyway, if they are then that is pretty standard. The really hosed thing is when people don't use boxes at all and then cause house fires.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

xlevus posted:

My mum had this problem with her clay/ceramic sewage pipes. There's an attachment that goes on the end of those flexible drain unblocker motor things that are designed for this problem.

Sure, they only cut the roots back for 6 months, but they give you enough time to get the capital to replace the pipes.

That's what I've been using. Works well, so far. Eventually going to need to rent a concrete saw and make a mess. Or find a better house and sell this one. I don't like it anyway, and now I know some features to look for (first house, didn't realize some layout arrangements I wouldn't like.)

And, yeah, I wondered why they couldn't just clear it out afterward, or do the bladder thing myself. I decided that they had likely tried it in the past with less than optimal results.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

Yes, that's what they are for. other than a sloppy execution, there is nothing wring with the wires

Are you kidding? Let's go down the list:

1. boxes not nailed down
2. boxes missing covers
3. cable isn't stapled down
4. WAY too many cables joined in a one gang box
5. flex tube isn't attached to its junction box

Jesus, who would do a job that bad for family?

Tigntink posted:

Is there a difference between a junction box and a gang box? Sounds like the same thing. Anyway, if they are then that is pretty standard. The really hosed thing is when people don't use boxes at all and then cause house fires.

In wiring boxes meant to mount internal devices in, a "gang" refers to how wide the box is and how many devices can fit in it. For example, a duplex outlet is one gang wide, as is a single switch.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

kid sinister posted:

Are you kidding? Let's go down the list:

1. boxes not nailed down
2. boxes missing covers
3. cable isn't stapled down
4. WAY too many cables joined in a one gang box
5. flex tube isn't attached to its junction box

Jesus, who would do a job that bad for family?

In wiring boxes meant to mount internal devices in, a "gang" refers to how wide the box is and how many devices can fit in it. For example, a duplex outlet is one gang wide, as is a single switch.

Derp. I knew that. Just had a crazy bad brain fart. IT destroys your brain.

I just don't know why people find it so hard to follow code in regards to electrical. It honestly isn't arduous at all for electrical work and it's a minimum of safety. We redid our bathroom and other than having to do some deeper research into how GFCIs ACTUALLY WORK (rather than just hearsay from family) it was all really easy. Just kept the WA state code section up on my computer to reference here and there.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

County decided that sign needed to be EXACTLY in the middle of a driveway, instead of before or after it. Turned a narrow driveway with a really wide outlet into two REALLY narrow driveways. Homeowner is debating if it'd be better to just uproot and move it, or if somebody were to accidentally hit it, either case being a gamble on if the county ever notices or cares.

Javid fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 30, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Technically illegal but it wouldn't be hard to just move the sign. Just make a new foundation one night, then move the sign into the new slot a while later.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Javid posted:

County decided that sign needed to be EXACTLY in the middle of a driveway, instead of before or after it. Turned a narrow driveway with a really wide outlet into two REALLY narrow driveways. Homeowner is debating if it'd be better to just uproot and move it, or if somebody were to accidentally hit it, either case being a gamble on if the county ever notices or cares.

In defense of the county, I did not think that could possibly be someone's driveway when first looking at it. :banjo:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I bet that sign says 'Hidden Driveway' too. Just to add insult to injury.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Why did you blur the sign out (what it says might matter, as well as the surrounding area) and that is pretty obviously on the right of way where you can and should expect these things to happen.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Motronic posted:

Why did you blur the sign out (what it says might matter, as well as the surrounding area) and that is pretty obviously on the right of way where you can and should expect these things to happen.

That's google.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Tigntink posted:

I just don't know why people find it so hard to follow code in regards to electrical. It honestly isn't arduous at all for electrical work and it's a minimum of safety.

The code isn't just about safety either. Remember how I complained about that one box was crammed way too full? If you have that may wires, code dictates using a bigger box. Certain parts of the code are simply to make the job easier. Some people just like doing it the hard way I guess.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

kid sinister posted:

The code isn't just about safety either. Remember how I complained about that one box was crammed way too full? If you have that may wires, code dictates using a bigger box. Certain parts of the code are simply to make the job easier. Some people just like doing it the hard way I guess.

The safety component there is that conductors in proximity can heat each other up, possibly damaging the insulation and causing a short, fault or fire. I guess that would be another concern on its own too (shorts/faults from exposed conductor or connections)

The mass of cables running along each other in the pictures is likely another violation -- it's not against code on its own but it reduces the maximum current those conductors are allowed to carry, and the "contractor" certainly didn't bother accounting for that.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 30, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

That's google.

Then I revise my question to "why didn't you take a proper picture of this area if you want people to know what the hell you are talking about?"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Because it was too dark to do so when I had time to try. I plan to tomorrow, though.

It's a "stop ahead" sign.

Diagram because the photos are not as clear as I'd hoped:

It's literally in the exact middle of the driveway. It could be 20 feet either way and block nothing, but it's in the most obnoxious spot possible.

Javid fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 30, 2015

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
IMO just move it. The chances of the county realizing the change seem slim, unless there is an associated neighbor who is invested in that sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I drive by this extremely inconvenient fire hydrant every so often