Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenro7
Dec 19, 2015

by Cowcaster
Huge lurker and big fan of pixel art, just wanted to say all the art here has been really inspiring and fresh to see along with the great advice given in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
It's a bear and he's.. uh.. dancing to some heavy hip hop music, I guess?

edit
Snot-bubble or no snot-bubble? Maybe have both and randomize? Choices >_<

double edit
Bear waking up. Christmas food does wonders with creativity!

vvv
Cheers! Love the way you use colors :)

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 24, 2015

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
That bear is super cute.

I'm dipping back into The Kelly Engine. Got thinking about player sprites, how I want to show character, equipped items etc in a form that has visual dominance over enemy sprites. Instead of the player being depicted as a complete figure like the enemies, I'm playing with a bust. Seeing as we don't need to see lower torso or legs. Allows for some fun paper doll builds.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Imaginary Friend posted:

edit

Snot-bubble most definitely.

Some context on how a larger token for the player could look in context to the tileset and enemy tokens.

Scut fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 24, 2015

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Stuck on my own for Christmas eve so I streamed some art while I watched my favorite Christmas movie, Gremlins. :3:

:3:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Pixelation secret santa thing

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Bleh, after I started those pixel dailies, and those palette suggestions, and a couple runs of Undertale, I was inspired to start another game project. Drew some assets. Threw something together in Unity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4PskAIHtTo

I really hate working on this poo poo alone, though. It's for a story-driven puzzle platformer, trying to aim for an hour or two of gameplay. Designing fun puzzles is hard, though. So is drawing. And programming. And math. And level design. And having ideas.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Argue posted:

Random comments:
The barkeep was going to be an animation but he's all on one layer so I lost heart after nudging the head.
The butler's arms are kinda disconnected from his torso when you look at the animation, but when I sync up the arms to the torso it feels really lifeless. I don't have a better solution for that.

Not sure if there is a trick to animating pixel art, but sometimes I wonder if it's better to sketch out where you want various body parts to end up each frame, and use that as a template, and actually avoid copy\paste\layers as much as possible. Doubly so for walk cycles, bodies aren't very static when walking, and with cartoony animations it's best to even over-exaggerate. Not sure that you can use existing outlines even in different frames without ending up with really lifeless\awkward animations. At least if you're drawing people.

But I am in no position to talk about animation, those are some cool sprites.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 26, 2015

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Imaginary Friend posted:

edit

Snot bubble, yes. Not random. Or some floating z's. Or a dream bubble of him pawing at a beehive for honey haha.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
These are all fanart of one thing; if someone can figure out what that means I succeeded.

Edit: vvvvv zat is a beengo!

Argue fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 29, 2015

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Argue posted:

These are all fanart of one thing; if someone can figure out what that means I succeeded.

That's Worm, right? Interesting interpretations. I think they look really nice. Especially the Coil one.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Oh nice, I remember Worm. I don't think I ever finished it, should I?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

diarmuidqq posted:

Yes! The first half is stronger than the second half but it gets really intense and I'd say still worth reading. The web serial thread in The Book Barn is the de facto thread for talking about Wildbow works since there's only like one other author anyone there reads.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

diarmuidqq posted:

It peaked at the leviathan arc and then got dumber and dumber as it went along.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm a sick person and I need to be stopped.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
How about gene-splicing this with your beatemup sprites into a sort of single-screen game? You could make a king of the hill goal where you literally bodycheck and sharkpunch people off the hill.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Scut posted:

How about gene-splicing this with your beatemup sprites into a sort of single-screen game? You could make a king of the hill goal where you literally bodycheck and sharkpunch people off the hill.

Oh there's still shark punching going on

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Shoe you're a loving machine leave some pixels for the rest of us :O

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
I haven't checked in on this thread for months, but it's great to see Shoe is still incredibly prolific and has been continually improving the whole time.

Agreed with Scut that you could make a pretty cool single-screen game with those assets. Something like a procedurally mapped Super Crate Box came to mind immediately.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Or something like Super Bomberman would also be cool on those backgrounds

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I've been working on my pet board game project over the holidays and made this little thematic montage of a bunch of new and old assets together. This isn't the game itself but gets across some of the feel.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Been working on a ZX Spectrum inspired strategy game. The goal is to build a tower. It involves pixel art.

http://pizzamakesgames.itch.io/the-evil-warlock-tower

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...
Last week I did a Mario.

Today I did a Totoro.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Here's some pixel art anybody can enjoy, 27 screenshots of Neo Turf Masters: http://imgur.com/a/i9Hih

with screwed up pixels cause SNK can't even bother

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
No platformer is a platformer without stupid-looking caves!

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Imaginary Friend posted:

No platformer is a platformer without stupid-looking caves!

This is cool! I really like the muted color palette. You've got some strong grasp of color theory. I'm always envious of that because that's where I freeze up the most. WHen I can pick any green I want, for instance, I have trouble visualizing how all the parts will fit/look together in the final piece. I probably overcomplicate it, too.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
today's pixel daily was David Bowie

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Quick pixel dailies from me using 4 colours and sticking to a 1 hour time limit (I went over a little while animating, heh).

I think I'm getting quicker at this stuff :)

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Don't think I've seen anyone post about it, but Udemy is having a sale on their site, including two Pixel Art for Video Games courses. One of them is made by the creator of GameMaker (not sure how much that gives or takes away from his credibility).

I've signed up for both and they are pretty good so far. Enough to actually get me started with practice.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
GameMaker seemed to favour art and effects done in pixels without alpha so it stands to reason that the person who made it loves pixel art. Also Risk of Rain and Nuclear Throne were both done in GameMaker so it carries cred it my eyes.
Can you post some of the exercises you've been doing?

I drew a tadpole because a stranger on twitter asked me to. I wish I could dip my feet in a warm pond. gently caress winter, etc.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

InevitableCheese posted:

Don't think I've seen anyone post about it, but Udemy is having a sale on their site, including two Pixel Art for Video Games courses. One of them is made by the creator of GameMaker (not sure how much that gives or takes away from his credibility).

I've signed up for both and they are pretty good so far. Enough to actually get me started with practice.

Where are you seeing that they're having a sale? I'm not seeing any sale prices anywhere.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

MockingQuantum posted:

Where are you seeing that they're having a sale? I'm not seeing any sale prices anywhere.

Hmmm, maybe it's regional? They have a promotion until the 20th where *all* courses are on sale for $15. When I searched for the pixel art courses they show up as discounted for me:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

InevitableCheese posted:

Hmmm, maybe it's regional? They have a promotion until the 20th where *all* courses are on sale for $15. When I searched for the pixel art courses they show up as discounted for me:

Must be regional. Dang, I'd be down for those tutorials for $15.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pizzatime posted:

Here's some pixel art anybody can enjoy, 27 screenshots of Neo Turf Masters: http://imgur.com/a/i9Hih

with screwed up pixels cause SNK can't even bother

I dunno what it is but a bunch of early golf games had some seriously beautiful pixel art for their time. I guess its because golf is in nature and you need a bunch of really good looking static screens as backgrounds and stuff to keep the game from being boring and repetitive, but I've seen a few before that just made me want to stop and stare at them, even though I think golf videogames are like as bad as it gets.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Would love some feedback for this new level...

Not happy with it at all. Could be the palette... I hate the dithering in the pits. Maybe I should just make it a solid colour?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

this stuff is starting to get really easy to do

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 17, 2016

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Aneurexorcyst posted:

Would love some feedback for this new level...

Not happy with it at all. Could be the palette... I hate the dithering in the pits. Maybe I should just make it a solid colour?
There's definitely something unsettling about that combination of puke-green and dirt-brown. Maybe tone down the green saturation so it's easier on the eyes and transitions into the brown better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
Anyone ever make Commodore 64 pixel art? Or know of a good tutorial?

I'm working on a project that needs to look like C64 graphics. I've googled and of course found some old game screenshots but if someone's got a good guide that would be awesome.

The color palette is going to be a bitch :barf: