Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
I know we can pay our :10bux: again if we get banned, I'm curious, do we keep our account features such as our custom and search feature if we re-buy or do we have to buy them all over again as well? I'm also assuming we keep our name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
You keep your name, you lose everything else.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

You keep your name, you lose everything else.

Because Radium, I think you actually keep archives.

Not plat or AV though.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

syscall girl posted:

Because Radium, I think you actually keep archives.

Not plat or AV though.

Well that's...arbitrary, actually. Thank you. :)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

syscall girl posted:

And you get to learn how your higher-ups say URL or iOS or whatever.

iOS, to rhyme with POZ.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

OctoberBlues posted:

I hope some people say Earl for URL.

I do this.

No regrets.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.
This might actually be a big stupid question, so can someone redirect me to the appropriate thread?

I'm in medical coding and compliance. At work my team uses an Excel workbook to track claims in and out over the course of a month. We have 18 sheets divided by department (one for cardiology, two for surgery, one for ortho, etc) then a general totals sheet, a "total worked" sheet (to keep up with productivity), and a "total new" sheet (so things can be rearranged if one person is getting slammed and another person is getting nothing). Our current situation is this: each person comes in and works out their own daily totals (from GE Centricity, so completely electronic), writes them on a printed Excel sheet, and brings them to whoever is entering totals that week. That person plugs in all the data then emails it to the group.

Here's a screenshot of some totals from last year to clarify a little - we don't do consults anymore, so those columns no longer exist.

I think that's retarded. We're virtually paper-free except for totals, and one of the requirements for coding from home is to be completely paper-free. SURELY there's a way to create a group-wide Excel workbook that could be hosted on our shared drive (or online, or whatever) that each person could update themselves, right?

Problem two is because it's monthly, there would either have to be twelve workbooks or some way of creating one mega-workbook that's easily updated and navigated by 6-8 functionally retarded mid-40s women. I'm reasonably computer savvy but I'm no miracle worker - is this even possible? Is it too much to ask? Is there some better way to track than excel?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I don't totally understand what the relationship between the other sheets and the totals sheet is. Your question seems to mainly concern the totals one i guess?

Anyway a shared google spreadsheet is probably the easiest solution. Just like excel, they can have many tabs and tabs can refer to each other in formulae. You can make as many files as you want, i mean making a new file for each month is not a big deal in the year 2015 and its a good way to stay organized.

Bonus: iirc in google spreadsheets you can make webforms to fill out that will fill in the spreadsheet for you, to help with less computer savvy folks.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

alnilam posted:

I don't totally understand what the relationship between the other sheets and the totals sheet is. Your question seems to mainly concern the totals one i guess?

Anyway a shared google spreadsheet is probably the easiest solution. Just like excel, they can have many tabs and tabs can refer to each other in formulae. You can make as many files as you want, i mean making a new file for each month is not a big deal in the year 2015 and its a good way to stay organized.

Bonus: iirc in google spreadsheets you can make webforms to fill out that will fill in the spreadsheet for you, to help with less computer savvy folks.

The general totals and total new sheets both pull from the individual sheets, but the total worked one is something we have to key in (sometimes people work in workfiles that don't "belong" to them, sometimes they're out and someone else does their work, etc). I'm going to check out google, thanks!

EDIT: Here's the totals page for a little more clarity - it pulls money and encounter counts from each individual sheet and sums them all up. Mostly used to keep track of where we are on monthly/yearly goals and balance numbers.

Tourette Meltdown fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 23, 2015

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Is there a reason why many websites no longer let you share articles by email? I sometimes want to send articles to my parents but they don't have facebook and instagram and whatnot. It's annoying to have to copy the link and manually email it when sites always used to have a share by email option.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Referrals from emails

http://www.poynter.org/news/media-innovation/190741/email-remains-a-popular-way-to-share-news-but-for-how-long/

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I'm sure it has plummeted, but why would you remove the option to email altogether? Does it really cost more to have that option than they would get from ad revenue or whatever on the email referrals?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Interesting scale.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OctoberBlues posted:

I'm sure it has plummeted, but why would you remove the option to email altogether? Does it really cost more to have that option than they would get from ad revenue or whatever on the email referrals?

Because operating a bulk spam cannon in a manner where the mail is going to get through is an annoying task that takes a lot of time.

I know CTRL-C CTRL-V is hard, but doing it also makes sure the people you are sending things to don't end up on yet another spam email list.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Does anyone remember the name/keywords of that thread where that girl chronicles her massive weeaboo friend over the course of several years? I thought it was goldmined, but I can't seem to find it.

e: Nevermind!

cash crab fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 24, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

cash crab posted:

Does anyone remember the name/keywords of that thread where that girl chronicles her massive weeaboo friend over the course of several years? I thought it was goldmined, but I can't seem to find it.

e: Nevermind!

Well post the link!

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Guessing it's this one.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ras Het posted:

Interesting scale.

Deceptive axes piss me off :mad:

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
My dishwasher is making glasses and dishes completely Adrien Grody, I think it's given me an upset stomach a few times. I tried running a dishwasher cleaner outer through a cycle but that hasn't helped. Here's a gallery of an example glass: http://imgur.com/a/s91Rs

If it's not clear it's like there's a white powdery substance stuck to the inside fo the glass, I'd guess it's dishwasher tablet remnants?

How I fix this?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Have you tried liquid detergent? The dishwasher at my old house was like that and it seemed to help.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
We had a different kind of spots in our dishwasher, but putting a cup of white vinegar in with the dishes helped a lot.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

We had a different kind of spots in our dishwasher, but putting a cup of white vinegar in with the dishes helped a lot.

Yeah, we add vinegar and it stops this from happening most of the time.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Sometimes it can help to vacuum out your dishwasher (after it dries out of course) with one of those small brush heads on it.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Dishwasher cleaner is just citric acid. Run a couple more loads through either with DW cleaner or citric acid. You can do this with all your glassware, also.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just Pamolive in there and enjoy the foam party.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Does applying teabags/cucumbers or whatever actually help reduce dark circles under your eyes?

I'm getting plenty of sleep, but since changing jobs all my activities basically include sitting in-front of a computer screen and I know that isn't helping. Anything that is actually proven to help would be great.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

LegalPad posted:

Does applying teabags/cucumbers or whatever actually help reduce dark circles under your eyes?

I'm getting plenty of sleep, but since changing jobs all my activities basically include sitting in-front of a computer screen and I know that isn't helping. Anything that is actually proven to help would be great.

No. You need lasers, apparently.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ras Het posted:

Interesting scale.

What's wrong with it?

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

You realize that the bolded titles are myths that the article is debunking right?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Preparation H

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

LegalPad posted:

You realize that the bolded titles are myths that the article is debunking right?

Yeah, the author's definitions of "surgery" and "topical" seem very specific.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Karate Bastard posted:

What's wrong with it?

It makes it appear that between June and July, referrals dropped 95% or more, when actually they dropped about 50% - a lot, certainly, but not as dire as the chart makes out.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Edit: quote not edit

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'm at my family's home for the holidays. I logged into Netflix onto my personal account through my laptop which is on their wifi. When I logged in, in addition to the regular 2 profiles on my account, it also offered a third option of [JIZZ DENOUEMENT's parent profile].

wtf?

Last time I was here I logged into my netflix account on their pc, but it was just my regular two profiles. Why did this third profile pop up?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Anybody got a link to that Mt. Everest thread in GBS? It was a while ago but it was real good.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Anybody got a link to that Mt. Everest thread in GBS? It was a while ago but it was real good.

As far as I know there is a new one every year and this is the 2015 one

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694151

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Memento posted:

It makes it appear that between June and July, referrals dropped 95% or more, when actually they dropped about 50% - a lot, certainly, but not as dire as the chart makes out.

Ah well, there's worse. They could have put a time axis that goes Jan '12, Feb '12, Mar '12, Apr '13, May '13, Jun '14...

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

LegalPad posted:

Teabags, cucumbers, and Prep H reduce puffiness, but not dark circles. There are anecdotal accounts that suggest eye creams with caffeine in have some effect on dark circles, but I don't think there is any solid data on it.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

Keep MSE, disable java, set chrome or firefox as the default browser and install an adblocker. If you must buy an AV, ESET is ok, and keeps the hd scanning and "hey, look at me! I'm working!" pop-ups to a minimum.

He's kind of right, in that MSE has become less effective as it became more ubiquitous, but I wouldn't trust anything he says beyond that, simply because Norton is just terrible. Sadly, whatever the leading antivirus programs are at any given time doesn't make much of a difference since they still suck at detecting new iterations of viruses, and they are of little to no use in protecting against users clicking malicious links, installing adware-laden coupon apps and downloading emails with pdf.exe files in them.

Also all the antivirus benchmarks out there are next to useless, since they test with a battery of known viruses. So AV companies have all the time in the world to make a product that will excel at the benchmarks, nevermind it's usefulness in the real world. There's a pretty interesting thread here in a/t by an AV programmer, in case you're interested in reading more.

This dude is right. I wouldn't necessarily recommend ESET -- antivirus can make your computer less secure: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2940192/critical-flaw-in-eset-products-shows-why-spy-groups-are-interested-in-antivirus-programs.html

Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender is good enough. Download Microsoft EMET (free) to deploy some additional protections that would hopefully prevent your computer from being exploited by a browser bug or whatever.

Click to play for plugins in Chrome is a fantastic idea. Firefox has been getting better in recent years, but from a computer security perspective you're still better off with Chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Why do royal bedrooms sometimes have those tiny dumb fences around the bed area?

Example: http://daughterofchaos.tumblr.com/image/135916088594