Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nobody was dropping barrel bombs or half ton dumb bombs from helicopters and airplanes on the green zone.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

As long as we're arguing historical counterfactuals let's go back in time and have Britain and France honor their promises to the Arabs. Blamo, Syria is a Hashemite kingdom similar to Jordan and everyone lives happily ever after*

*lol

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

OK now Kaiserreich Universe:

drat those poor Alawites and their Arab brethren being oppressed by the Ottoman Turks. It must suck to be religiously persecuted as the peaceful Alawites are. I bet they would totally be magnanimous and graceful rulers of a country if given the chance.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

Complete, Somalia-style state collapse and anarchy would literally be better than the present conflict

Liberals and Libertarians, united in their stoic appreciation for Somalian anarchy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...f94b_story.html

It's hosed up that so many Serious People (including Cameron and Hollande, apparently) want the US to start bombing civilians.

Not that the US government isn't already complicit in Saudi Arabia's bombing of civilians in Yemen, but still.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Silver2195 posted:

It's hosed up that so many Serious People (including Cameron and Hollande, apparently) want the US to start bombing civilians.

Not that the US government isn't already complicit in Saudi Arabia's bombing of civilians in Yemen, but still.

If France and the UK would like to dictate how a military campaign unfolds, then perhaps they should build one that doesn't require the US to hold their hands every time they deploy equipment more than 100 miles outside of their border.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Silver2195 posted:

"Start"? You're being rather generous.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

fishmech posted:

"Start"? You're being rather generous.

Point taken. "Start bombing civilians more deliberately," perhaps.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Liberals and Libertarians, united in their stoic appreciation for Somalian anarchy.
Somalia's doing much better than it was during the late 90's/early 2000's time of anarchy, it's got a very fragile kind of stability now. Also it's now better than Yemen, as noted by the people fleeing to Somalia from Yemen.

Have a gif comparing January 2015 to December 2015:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

You wrote a lot here, but I'm just going to address this. We couldn't stop the Green Zone from being bombed daily, in a country we occupied with 100,000+ troops. Why would you think that we would have been able to achieve something like that, spanning cities and dozens of miles, in a civil war split by a bewildering set of participants, in a country that would see it as an act of war?

It's not about whether the aim is a good one. I agree it would have been. I question how it would have possibly occurred, when the US's history in the region is one of general incompetence and failed expectations.

A no fly zone would have de facto created a safe zone, so it's not a matter of how on earth you're going to create something stable in the middle of chaos. Assad used his air power to project his influence in areas that otherwise he wouldn't be able to touch. The opposition was able to take over vast stretches of the country, which made areas in northern and southern Syria invulnerable to ground operations. But they still faced a brutal bombing campaign as punishment for the existence of the revolution. And these regions were typically where the IDP's fled to seeking some form of safety, on the fringes of the battlefield, and there was only one reason they couldn't find it. Assad's air force. The situation in those regions isn't even close to comparable with Baghdad on any metric. A more comparable instance would be debating whether a NFZ could have prevented a second al-Anfal campaign when Saddam was on the march to Kurdistan in '91. (It did.)

And Syrians overwhelmingly supported a no fly zone at the time. Not long ago, these people were praising Israel for bombing Hezbollah. Furthermore, the majority of Libyans supported the US intervention after it happened. There's no reason whatsoever to assume a NFZ would have been seen as anything other what it what it was, the good and right thing to do. And on the other side of the table, ISIS cited US inaction while Syrians were being blown to pieces, as evidence that the US didn't give a poo poo about Muslims. And the propaganda that is 100% rooted in truth is always the most damaging.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

Because ISIS didn't exist in Syria until this unimaginable bullshit had been swept under the carpet for 2 years. :eng101: Kind of using your post as a launching pad here Anos, so not saying this all applies to you.

If the US had intervened and provided even just safe zones that Syrians could stay and live in without being barrel bombed on a daily basis, we'd be facing an infinitely smaller refugee crisis, an infinitely smaller death toll, and an infinitely smaller issue with extremism, and there's literally 0 debate to be had on any of these fronts. Instead, Syria was left to its own devices, and there's absolutely no argument that it was the worst possible loving strategy one could have possibly chosen. The people attempting to establish civil society that could legitimately oppose Assad within Syria have been public enemy #1 every step of the way, and they had to grovel at the feet of the international community for meager aid for years. Particularly because any involvement whatsoever was portrayed as just the first step to the inevitable Iraq War part 2. It's kind of hard to establish free police stations, fire stations, hospitals and schools, when those are direct military targets that had to be established underground. And of course, even then, the cards were so stacked against them that it was usually only a matter of time before something bad happened. And in that chaos, JaN and ISIS were able to provide stability. Jihadists were able to provide courts and order with vast resources provided, while people like the Syrian Emergency Task Force and Kafranbel were getting nothing but hand-me-down aid equipment and being told "Sorry about that whole dictator dumping sarin on your heads thing. Here, have some gas masks." All while receiving the brunt of Assad's campaign of brutality.

Every issue we are facing today revolves entirely around two factors. That the war has gone on so long, and that the war has been so brutal. Both of these factors could have been very clearly influenced in a positive way. We are about to enter YEAR SIX of this war, and it quite likely won't be over within a decade. And when it does end, everything that was used as the defense to not getting involved in 2012 will still become a reality. And all of those end scenarios look 10x worse than they did in 2012. All the bullshit about a power vacuum and hand-wringing over isolated videos of someone licking a dead mans lung or throwing dead bodies off a building. "Best just to not get involved." Not proposing a solution or anything like that. Just arguing that we can't help these people because reasons. Those reasons sure look pretty goddamn dumb today, with literal terror hordes running around massacring people by the thousands, wouldn't you say? Abu Sakkar, who was the definitive stereotype of why we couldn't support the opposition, because he was so out of the norm and so shocking from what we'd seen in Syria before. He looks so tame today!

Frankly, the idea that people can sit here and see a number like 300,000 dead, and still be like "we would've just made it worse," or "yeah, the iraq war really was a good idea, huh?" Without ever stopping to deeply question their own perspective on this conflict, is just disgusting to me. I've never heard of anyone in the aftermath of Rwanda who still thought "well, it just would've been another Somalia, and we couldn't have done anything to change how it turned out." At least they had the humility to acknowledge what is clearly obvious. But everything has to be so partisan and politicized in the US now, and in the end, everyone ends up looking like a dumb poo poo mouthpiece regurgitating talking points because they can't think for themselves. All while hundreds of thousands of civilians scream for help on publicly available videos and can't get the time of day from either side. It's one of the most depressing parts about this war. gently caress people.

Ah yes, the annual "if we would have waved our fairy wand at just the right second this could have all been avoided" volkpost. I thought you gave up on this nonsense- there's no evidence at all to support your claims and your ideas are based purely on supposition you pulled from your butt. Like not even being a dick here, you have no evidence whatsoever for how a US invasion would have turned out. It can always be worse. You sound like a neocon in the leadup to Iraq, "tell me liebrals, how can removing a maniac dictator make things worse :smug: .

This time is different!

Ardennes posted:

In 2014, Obama didn't want to get dragged into another war, especially one without a clear exit strategy (and there wasn't one for him). As for 2012, it really wasn't workable either unless we wanted to take out Assad/SAA out while at the same time trying to withdrawal from Afghanistan.

This is also true, there was absolutely no political will at the time regardless.

Sergg posted:

As long as we're arguing historical counterfactuals let's go back in time and have Britain and France honor their promises to the Arabs. Blamo, Syria is a Hashemite kingdom similar to Jordan and everyone lives happily ever after*

*lol

Or what if we intervened in Ukraine, can't appease Putin because Hitler after all.

TROIKA CURES GREEK fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 24, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Ah yes, the annual "if we would have waved our fairy wand at just the right second this could have all been avoided" volkpost. I thought you gave up on this nonsense- there's no evidence at all to support your claims and your ideas are based purely on supposition you pulled from your butt. Like not even being a dick here, you have no evidence whatsoever for how a US invasion would have turned out. It can always be worse. You sound like a neocon in the leadup to Iraq, "tell me liebrals, how can removing a maniac dictator make things worse :smug: .

This time is different!

I rest my case.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
I'm not saying that a No Fly Zone would have turned out worse but it IS really ridiculous to try and treat it as some self-evident truth. All of our recent near-east adventures have ended really horribly for one reason or another and I'm not going to begrudge anyone for assuming that Syria 2012 would as well.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I'd rather have Syria be in the state Lybia is now in than in it the state it is now. That seems the most likely outcome from a no-fly zone, and still better than the current one.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

nothing to seehere posted:

I'd rather have Syria be in the state Lybia is now in than in it the state it is now. That seems the most likely outcome from a no-fly zone, and still better than the current one.

I think I'd rather have Vilerat back tbh.

VV its a grim calculus but you're not exactly talking me out of it VV

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 24, 2015

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Without the no fly zone the Libyan civil war would almost certainly have been longer and bloodier and many more SA forums moderators would have died

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yes libya is in such a great state you know with the slow burning fuse to an even bloodier civil war and all

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

LeoMarr posted:

Yes libya is in such a great state you know with the slow burning fuse to an even bloodier civil war and all

Libya has been and is currently, by any metric you choose to throw out, a much lower intensity of a conflict than Syria. I think that's the point being made.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I think I'd rather have Vilerat back tbh.

VV its a grim calculus but you're not exactly talking me out of it VV

Yeah I for one miss his great insights into African culture

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Has everyone forgotten that the Obama administration sought congressional authorization for military action in Syria, which was wildly unpopular and went nowhere?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autho...hemical_Weapons

Yes I know the president of the US has pretty wide ranging military powers. But even in wars like Iraq, Afghanistan, Kosovo, etc. the President rarely goes in without at least some sort of authorization from Congress.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

etalian posted:

Yeah I for one miss his great insights into African culture

Africa would have been subjected to a bloodbath of proportions unseen in history if the white man hadn't destroyed their culture first.
Example: The Libyan Civil War.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Emanuel Collective posted:

Has everyone forgotten that the Obama administration sought congressional authorization for military action in Syria, which was wildly unpopular and went nowhere?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autho...hemical_Weapons

Yes I know the president of the US has pretty wide ranging military powers. But even in wars like Iraq, Afghanistan, Kosovo, etc. the President rarely goes in without at least some sort of authorization from Congress.

Obama could have easily gone into an air dominance and bombing campaign over Syria easily while still following the War Powers Resolution of 1973, which would pretty much give him a 2 month leeway of conducting combat operations, plus an additional 30 days for withdrawal, without having a Congressional authorization. gently caress, the US air campaign in Libya lasted 7 months and Congress refused to give Obama authorization at the 90-day mark, which Obama ignored and continued devoting military assets until Qaddafi was overthrown. Where was that Obama in 2013?

The story I remember hearing is that Assad called his bluff, knowing that if Barack did follow through, it would end up as an Iraq-style "regime change" intervention and the American public wasn't ready for that poo poo again, and Obama needed a way out while saving face, so he threw that bone to his rivals in Congress to bury the issue.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
The battle for Ramadi is going again. The Iraqi army is pushing north along the east side of the Euphrates to secure bridges. This will probably take weeks but it looks like they are making steady progress.

Apparently the locals are stoked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_tzGJ8EdQs

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Volkerball posted:

I rest my case.

I do not understand this post.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Africa would have been subjected to a bloodbath of proportions unseen in history if the white man hadn't destroyed their culture first.
Example: The Libyan Civil War.

Muammar Ghaddafi was Africa's culture personified.

Imagine I posted a portrait of Ghaddafi, done in the style of the portrait of Che Guevara, crying a single tear at this post.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Obama could have easily gone into an air dominance and bombing campaign over Syria easily while still following the War Powers Resolution of 1973, which would pretty much give him a 2 month leeway of conducting combat operations, plus an additional 30 days for withdrawal, without having a Congressional authorization. gently caress, the US air campaign in Libya lasted 7 months and Congress refused to give Obama authorization at the 90-day mark, which Obama ignored and continued devoting military assets until Qaddafi was overthrown. Where was that Obama in 2013?

The story I remember hearing is that Assad called his bluff, knowing that if Barack did follow through, it would end up as an Iraq-style "regime change" intervention and the American public wasn't ready for that poo poo again, and Obama needed a way out while saving face, so he threw that bone to his rivals in Congress to bury the issue.

I recall Russia also being a factor, especially given their close relationship with Assad and their naval base. Provoking confrontation with them over Syria, which the American people didn't have the stomach for after the other ME conflicts, wasn't really in the cards.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

ElrondHubbard posted:

I recall Russia also being a factor, especially given their close relationship with Assad and their naval base. Provoking confrontation with them over Syria, which the American people didn't have the stomach for after the other ME conflicts, wasn't really in the cards.

I do too but I can't for the life of me remember why, especially considering how close America came to bombing Assad anyway. There were a lot of vague threats but on the whole I don't think Russia was in a great position to react to a bombing campaign, at least inside Syria.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Another reason Obama did everything he could to avoid bombing Assad was so it didn't scuttle the nuclear deal talks with Iran, which Obama wanted to succeed as part of his ~*L E G A C Y*~

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Radio Prune posted:

Another reason Obama did everything he could to avoid bombing Assad was so it didn't scuttle the nuclear deal talks with Iran, which Obama wanted to succeed as part of his ~*L E G A C Y*~

When did the talks begin? Because the Syrian civil war has been going on since 2011 and there's been pressure on the west to do some kind of bombing campaign or no fly zone ever since the war began. Especially after the chemical attack in 2013. I can't imagine Obama avoided military intervention in Syria so as not to screw up and Iranian nuclear talks that hadnt even taken place yet.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

When did the talks begin? Because the Syrian civil war has been going on since 2011 and there's been pressure on the west to do some kind of bombing campaign or no fly zone ever since the war began. Especially after the chemical attack in 2013. I can't imagine Obama avoided military intervention in Syria so as not to screw up and Iranian nuclear talks that hadnt even taken place yet.

The pressure to start a bombing campaign came to a head after the Ghouta attacks. Obama declined to act, and a few weeks later it was revealed that the US had been conducting secret talks with Iran for some time. I do think this played a role.

My opinion is that Obama would have reluctantly gone ahead, but the British parliament's surprise refusal threw a spanner in the works. Unpopular internationally and at home, Obama could lob the issue to congress, confident it wouldn't go anywhere.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Looks like the Syrian government has struck a deal with ISIS fighters in South Damascus via the UN, and loyalists are reporting that they and their families will be given safe passage to Raqqa starting this weekend. BBC seems to confirm some of the details: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35175479

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Count Roland posted:

My opinion is that Obama would have reluctantly gone ahead, but the British parliament's surprise refusal threw a spanner in the works. Unpopular internationally and at home, Obama could lob the issue to congress, confident it wouldn't go anywhere.

Yup, boom. Nailed it. I was literally right about to post this. UK's Prime Minister was super embarrassed by his parliament's surprise refusal and Obama would have been going in alone. In Libya we had NATO and a UNSC resolution due to Ghaddafi's diplomatic isolation.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Very rapid advance on Tishrin Dam happening:
https://twitter.com/4rj1n/status/679737495676960768

quote:

Coalition warplanes providing airsupport to SDF op south of Sarrin. SDF advance but has to take care of mines and booby traps along the way.

Arab villagers in Seharic Ciba had established contact w SDF prior the liberation. Expect more news, most likely a lag on reports fr ground.

ANHA names of Arab groups participating in the op

Jaish al-Thuwwar
Shams al-Shamal
Euphrates-Jarablus Battalion
Liwa al-Tahrir
Jazeera Bat.

https://twitter.com/4rj1n/status/679925417332109312

quote:

ANHA interviews SDF commander Dijwar Xebat (member of YPG) regarding latest op south of Kobane.

ANHA: What is the aim of the operation?
Dijwar Xebat (DX): The aim is to liberate Tishreen Dam and take control of Manbij-Jarablus road.

ANHA: How high is the level of Arab participation?
DX: 30% of those participating are Arabs. [Arabs in YPG + Arabs in local FSA groups].

ANHA: Do you coordinate with the Coalition?
DX: Yes & we got material support. They carry out airstrikes, but we believe they can do more.

ANHA: Have Russia tried to coordinate w SDF?
DX: No,we know Russia carried out airstrikes in Raqqa, but right now there is no coordination.

ANHA: Do you have contact with the villages you are going liberate?
DX: We tell all to not support ISIS. Many asked us speed up liberation.

ANHA: #Turkey says crossing Euphrates is a red line, will you cross the river?
DX: SDF will go wherever it's necessary [to fight ISIS].
DX: Turkey had many red lines, but could not do anything.
DX: We declared our objectives. When reached, we will declare it.

Previous Q&A is bullet points from an ANHA interview with SDF commander Dijwar Xebat (DX). Source: http://ku.hawarnews.com/fermandare-qsd-dais-li-kudere-be-ew-der-hedefa-me-ye/#prettyPhoto #TwitterKurds

The most important part of the above is this:

quote:

ANHA: What is the aim of the operation?

Dijwar Xebat (DX): The aim is to liberate Tishreen Dam and take control of Manbij-Jarablus road.
SDF is officially planning to go into Turkey's supposed "safe zone". Strap in everybody.:hellyeah:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 24, 2015

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Sergg posted:

Yup, boom. Nailed it. I was literally right about to post this. UK's Prime Minister was super embarrassed by his parliament's surprise refusal and Obama would have been going in alone. In Libya we had NATO and a UNSC resolution due to Ghaddafi's diplomatic isolation.

Can someone elaborate a little more on this? Why would the British Parliament be opposed to an intervention (besides the obvious Iraq memories)? Sorry if that sounds a bit ignorant but I know even less about British politics than I do about American politics so I'm kind of flying blind here.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Warbadger posted:

Nobody was dropping barrel bombs or half ton dumb bombs from helicopters and airplanes on the green zone.

Its not about the type of ordinance dropped, but the ability of the US to effectively control the ground in Syria and Iraq enough to cease violence by opposing armies, whose strength and power is only made stronger by the presence of foreign ground troops (which would be necessary , in my mind, to effect a NFZ).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Volkerball posted:

A no fly zone would have de facto created a safe zone, so it's not a matter of how on earth you're going to create something stable in the middle of chaos. Assad used his air power to project his influence in areas that otherwise he wouldn't be able to touch. The opposition was able to take over vast stretches of the country, which made areas in northern and southern Syria invulnerable to ground operations. But they still faced a brutal bombing campaign as punishment for the existence of the revolution. And these regions were typically where the IDP's fled to seeking some form of safety, on the fringes of the battlefield, and there was only one reason they couldn't find it. Assad's air force. The situation in those regions isn't even close to comparable with Baghdad on any metric. A more comparable instance would be debating whether a NFZ could have prevented a second al-Anfal campaign when Saddam was on the march to Kurdistan in '91. (It did.)

And Syrians overwhelmingly supported a no fly zone at the time. Not long ago, these people were praising Israel for bombing Hezbollah. Furthermore, the majority of Libyans supported the US intervention after it happened. There's no reason whatsoever to assume a NFZ would have been seen as anything other what it what it was, the good and right thing to do. And on the other side of the table, ISIS cited US inaction while Syrians were being blown to pieces, as evidence that the US didn't give a poo poo about Muslims. And the propaganda that is 100% rooted in truth is always the most damaging.

So where is the Assad government in all this? Attempting a NFZ would amount to a declaration of war on Assad, as destroying his AA related military machine would require an effort abd intensity that dwarfed anything we have ever in thr ME outside of the second Gulf War (and would even be greater than that, since Syrian military assets circa 2012 were much more impressive than the ones under Saddam's in 2003).

So the US would entering the Syrian war with the aim of toppling the Assad govt, considering the likely rolling stone of consequences from the first time an F-16 takes out an Assad SAM network. How can you say that this would, positively and absolutely, not just add more chaos to the situation in Syria and abroad?

Edit: okay, you have the argument that Assad did not have effective control over areas that would have been under the NFZ, and taking that at its value (and discounting that air strikes would still have to occur in the heart of Assad's military machine, as history shows that air campaigns are incredibly expansive affairs by necessity), what about the ostensibly anti US jihadi forces? You constantly talk about 2012 being the point being the point before their domination of rebel forces, but if recent history screams anything, the greatest recruitment tool for increasingly radicalized terrorism are US military campaigns. This alone throws the idea of imposing a NFZ being easily done out of wack.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 24, 2015

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Can someone elaborate a little more on this? Why would the British Parliament be opposed to an intervention (besides the obvious Iraq memories)? Sorry if that sounds a bit ignorant but I know even less about British politics than I do about American politics so I'm kind of flying blind here.

The obvious explanation fits well. Blair's decision to go to Iraq is viewed as at least a mistake, if not an utter disaster. The debate in parliament constantly referenced Iraq, and it was specially cited by many those who voted against.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Count Roland posted:

The obvious explanation fits well. Blair's decision to go to Iraq is viewed as at least a mistake, if not an utter disaster. The debate in parliament constantly referenced Iraq, and it was specially cited by many those who voted against.

Yes the anti-intervention mood was strong and is still strong in the British psyche (thank gently caress) but that particular vote was counter posed with a motion by the opposition to only approve action after an investigation rather than to start immediately. The number of MPs that voting to bomb Syria was a majority but neither side was so eager to bomb Assad that they'd cross party lines to make it happen, meaning both motions failed and we stayed out of it for another few years.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I think its important to remember that the northern safe haven in Iraq was not created purely by the declaration of an NFZ but through the deployment of actual troops on the ground during Provide Comfort I which established the safe zone before Provide Comfort II kicked in with humanitarian responsibilities on the ground transferring to the UN after the UN and Iraq signed a Memorandum of Understanding. The ground deployments forced the Iraqi withdrawal and established the borders of the safe haven which could then be policed purely from the air, and even then Saddam proved himself more than capable of penetrating into the safe zones on the ground with little active opposition - the successful government assault on Erbil in '96 for example provoked a reaction from the US after the fact based on Resolution 688 which actively protected Iraqi civilians from "repression".

I'm not sure you could have got a resolution as robust as 688 for Syria and the idea of deploying ground troops to establish the boundaries of a safe zone as in Iraq hardly seems likely, I really don't think the relative success of the northern safe zone in Iraq is comparable to anything that could have/could be established in Syria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

namesake posted:

Yes the anti-intervention mood was strong and is still strong in the British psyche (thank gently caress) but that particular vote was counter posed with a motion by the opposition to only approve action after an investigation rather than to start immediately. The number of MPs that voting to bomb Syria was a majority but neither side was so eager to bomb Assad that they'd cross party lines to make it happen, meaning both motions failed and we stayed out of it for another few years.

So was it the Paris attacks that lit a fire up their asses this last time that they went to approve bombing sorties and now even want to throw caution to the wind and bomb with high chance of civilian casualties?

• Locked thread