Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Swan Oat posted:

Doesn't Minnesota have really bad income inequality between the races as well?

The schools are also redonkulously segregated too. Things aren't as amazing here as people tend to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Swan Oat posted:

Doesn't Minnesota have really bad income inequality between the races as well?

Seems so, yes.

(quick tidbit: African Americans on average earn less than Native Americans in the state. Think about that)

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Unless BLM is protesting on the runway I don't see what the problem is, unlike those dumb fucks who shut down the interstate near Atlanta.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

"Our greatest path to victory is by just assuming every white person in 'liberal leaning' areas is on our side and will fight for our rights" ~ MLK or someone else maybe I dunno

Hey man he took issue with white moderates not white liberals

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Typical Pubbie posted:

Unless BLM is protesting on the runway I don't see what the problem is, unlike those dumb fucks who shut down the interstate near Atlanta.

They did the same thing in Nashville so I hopped off the interstate and took a side street a couple of exits up and didn't bemoan some protestors choosing an odd way to protest.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

radical meme posted:

Yes, by all means, trash the messenger. These people are their own worst enemy and they have succeeded in alienating and infuriating their own communities and even liberals and progressives who would otherwise support them but, you know, hey their making progress right? Like everyone now knows that BLM hates white people as much as much as all white people hate and despise blacks. (imagine I posted that ever growing ironicat here if I knew how to do it) What progress they have made. These people are the worst social activists ever.

Let's say hypothetically you think that a protest movement is using stupid high profile gimmicks to get attention and that it's a bad political strategy. By freaking out and talking about it over and over you are contributing to that strategy and aiding them in the very thing that you think is bad. Completely ignoring the protest would be more in line with your goals and it would have the added bonus of making you not seem like a jittery weirdo.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Constantly being in the news and disrupting things let the Occupy Wall Street movement force through landmark legislation such as:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Xae posted:

Constantly being in the news and disrupting things let the Occupy Wall Street movement force through landmark legislation such as:

Blm has been dramatically more successful tho?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
oh man some other people had to feel the same fear and anxiety during an uncertain situation as black people

THE HORROR :cry:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
"I might not see my family right on time!"

You know who's never going to see their family again? Eric Garner, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, all of the of other victims of police brutality.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Suddenly I'm glad the loonies tank made me not fly through MSP this year to visit home.

Would've sucked being stranded behind the border :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Good Citizen posted:

A BLM protest in Chicago on Black Friday resulted in this picture

So they're still cool with me

This was posted a page ago, but this.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I didn't notice any protests flying into MSP earlier today, so they weren't all that disruptive.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

radical meme posted:

Yes, by all means, trash the messenger. These people are their own worst enemy and they have succeeded in alienating and infuriating their own communities and even liberals and progressives who would otherwise support them but, you know, hey their making progress right? Like everyone now knows that BLM hates white people as much as much as all white people hate and despise blacks. (imagine I posted that ever growing ironicat here if I knew how to do it) What progress they have made. These people are the worst social activists ever.

White people aren't their "own communities". As much as white liberals tend to think they own the black movement, it really doesn't change anything to make their lives better other than countless posturing and "we're one the good ones" bullshit in the form of taking credit.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Has anyone discussed the lead outbreak in Flint, Michigan? It's been a top news story with the BBC News but doesn't seem to be getting any coverage here in the States, it's a pretty big public health crisis when the mayor is declaring a state of emergency.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I didn't notice any protests flying into MSP earlier today, so they weren't all that disruptive.

Well I dunno then. I'm all for what they want to accomplish anyway, itd just have sucked having to find a way to get back up to Ontario.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Now that they've minorly inconvenienced some white folk, this black civil rights organization is surely finished.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Remember, the most important part of any protest is what your racist classmate who never left the suburbs posts on facebook about it.
Organized direct action gets results? What? No, what we really need is to make sure white "progressives" in a basically segregated state find us appealing, that is the Socially Correct route to take here.

Don't anger anyone, especially white people. Racism solved

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

1337JiveTurkey posted:

They shut down security checkpoints. When leaving the airport you are dumped into baggage claim the first floor, the checkpoints are on the second floor.

Again, assuming the main terminal.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Xae posted:

Do you think the fight for 15 movement would have even happened without Occupy?

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
If the bus boycott was so successful, why did it take another ten years before the Civil Rights Act became law? Checkmate.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

They shut down security checkpoints. When leaving the airport you are dumped into baggage claim the first floor, the checkpoints are on the second floor.

Again, assuming the main terminal.

I figured someone would at least take the escalator down and picket the baggage carousels or that one Starbucks outside security or something.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Someone hasn't been to Minnesota. XD

Some of the worst economic inequality in the country, segregated neighborhoods, and police that regularly beat the crap out of non-white people.

Edit: I'm glad someone has addressed this up thread. It was so wrong I had to reply

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

radical meme posted:

/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I figured someone would at least take the escalator down and picket the baggage carousels or that one Starbucks outside security or something.

Picketing the "I just got in from Narita, didn't really sleep and am jet lagged as gently caress" Starbucks is one thing I would probably be angry about.

I mean not rationally, see the jet lag thing.

PS guess what the first thing you see after you clear customs in Narita and go down stairs to the trains is?

Anyways I'm sure screwing with the checkpoints is the biggest bang for their buck protests wise. People are under greater time constraints after all.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 24, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Silver Nitrate posted:

Someone hasn't been to Minnesota. XD

Some of the worst economic inequality in the country, segregated neighborhoods, and police that regularly beat the crap out of non-white people.

Edit: I'm glad someone has addressed this up thread. It was so wrong I had to reply

Other crimes against humanity include hot dish.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hot dish sounds like something you have to pay a hooker a ton of money for.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

hobbesmaster posted:

Other crimes against humanity include hot dish.

While I agree with this statement in general, the tater tot ones are alright.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Picketing the "I just got in from Narita, didn't really sleep and am jet lagged as gently caress" Starbucks is one thing I would probably be angry about.

I mean not rationally, see the jet lag thing.

PS guess what the first thing you see after you clear customs in Narita and go down stairs to the trains is?

Anyways I'm sure screwing with the checkpoints is the biggest bang for their buck protests wise. People are under greater time constraints after all.

Lots of people just sitting around waiting for their loved ones at baggage claim so they don't even need to be all that obnoxious to get a big audience. But yeah pissing off departures means passive aggressive Minnesota Nice responses at worst. Pissing off arrivals means active aggressive Everywhere Else Mean.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

hobbesmaster posted:

I've never understood this aspect of modern protests. Is the aim to antagonmize the people you deem responsible in hopes that they'll get sick of it and change or just raise awareness? I get protesting in very visible ways, that makes sense, but specifically attempting to disrupt the most people possible seems like it wouldn't gain you much support.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Talmonis posted:

I've never understood this aspect of modern protests. Is the aim to antagonmize the people you deem responsible in hopes that they'll get sick of it and change or just raise awareness? I get protesting in very visible ways, that makes sense, but specifically attempting to disrupt the most people possible seems like it wouldn't gain you much support.

Once raising awareness hasn't worked the point is to be as disruptive as possible so that change of some kind must happen.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Talmonis posted:

"Man you never believe the poo poo I had to go through to get here!"
"Oh what happened?"
"Oh there were some protesters complaining about X! They wouldn't get out of the way!"
"Wow what dicks!"
"Yeah totally!"
"Is X really that bad?"
"I don't loving know/Probably not/Of course not they're babies/Yes, but still!"
"Well I guess they wouldn't be there if it wasn't."

The last part means "I was previously unaware this was an issue, but I now have at least a vague notion of it"

Whether you like or hate the protesters is irrelevant. The fact that you're thinking about them is enough.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
People don't care about anything until it's right in their face. See: BLM interrupting Bernie

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Talmonis posted:

Are you using the word "modern" here to denote "the modern era", or?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

Are you using the word "modern" here to denote "the modern era", or?
:goonsay:

Many people use it to mean contemporaneous with now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Has anyone discussed the lead outbreak in Flint, Michigan? It's been a top news story with the BBC News but doesn't seem to be getting any coverage here in the States, it's a pretty big public health crisis when the mayor is declaring a state of emergency.

We talked about it at length when the big story broke a few days ago. I'm not sure what's left to say other than "God drat Michigan Republicans."

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Luigi Thirty posted:

We talked about it at length when the big story broke a few days ago. I'm not sure what's left to say other than "God drat Michigan Republicans."

Has anyone done analysis on whether or not this conforms to the lead+crime hypothesis?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

Whether you like or hate the protesters is irrelevant. The fact that you're thinking about them is enough.

Also, the only way for a small group to make a mark and possibly get in the news is to be disruptive. Unless you are thousands of people not a single soul cares if you are just waving banners and chanting.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Silver Nitrate posted:

Has anyone done analysis on whether or not this conforms to the lead+crime hypothesis?

Unfortunately, we'll have to wait for the kids who were harmed to grow up. But I'm sure someone will do a great longitudinal study now. Since we know when and who was exposed at what ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm all in favor of maximally pissing off white people during Christmas but I've been scratching my head about protests like OWS and BLM.
People can't seem to articulate the goals of these protests beyond "raising awareness" which seems meaningless.

That said, I'm loving the reddit outrage.

• Locked thread