Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I think he's one of the unlucky people that accidentally went down the true ending path on his first playthrough and never got over it
e: spoiler tags for 999

Huh, I got the 'safe' ending the first time I played the game by humorously rejecting the boring love interest character to hang out with the more interesting characters and felt like it revealed too much about
(bigger spoiler > > > ) weird vr burning bullshit about where the story was going and also confirming the traitor right off the bat . Then promptly put down the game forever with regrets to go back at some point and 'join the club' and get all caught up with VLR and such for the third game.

I guess the safe ending really is a kiss of death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I knew ahead of time that 999 was an Uchikoshi joint, so it was just a matter of course to me that I was going to have to replay it a bunch of times to figure out the true ending or whatever. I think I got the "Safe" ending about midway through my run and didn't even bat an eye at the process.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I think he's one of the unlucky people that accidentally went down the true ending path on his first playthrough and never got over it

I did do that but I wasn't particularly enjoying the game beforehand either. I had a lot of problems with the plot overall and some things didn't make sense to me when I thought about it. There was that website where the developers had an extensive FAQ written up but number of my biggest gripes I felt had really wishy-washy answers. It's been years since I played it so I don't really remember what they were.

I went into the game knowing "you're going to get some bad endings but it will all make sense in the end", so that's the attitude I tried to have. After getting the blue-balls coffin ending on my first run I voiced my frustration and people assured me that it'll be worth it and pointed me towards a few of the "fan favorite" bad endings. One I felt was extraordinarily cliché and another was just "hahaha, the bad guy killed everyone and got away" or something and now I was just sitting there like "great I just wasted a bunch of my time getting two lovely endings that don't add to the greater story at all". But it's like a book, right? Everyone is claiming the end of the book is the best part and I want to see it through. Turns out the ending puzzle is really underwhelming and then the story ends on a cliffhanger that the entire game has been hinting at so you get no resolution about it, and then I'm told that that cliffhanger has no bearing on the sequel whatsoever?? I come back all "wow this game is pretty poo poo" and then everyone starts jumping down my throat with "well if you hated it so much why did you beat it five times? :smug:" like wow gently caress off, way to make me extra sour on the whole experience.

A lot of the story just felt extremely convenient and too many conveniences breaks the story for me. :shrug:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kaubocks posted:

but it will all make sense in the end

MuhahahAHAHAHAHA

About the cliffhanger ending, if it's who I'm thinking of (Alice, the Egyptian-looking chick, right?)then you're right, it's a dumb one. That character from the cliffhanger ending is one of the supplementary characters in VLR, and if it was for any reason whatsoever (let alone a good one,) I don't remember why beyond "fan service".

VLR had some much better plot twists and tie-ins to 999 besides that one, but they're still batshit Japan crazy, to the point of taking a pivotal moment over the top of "whoa, did not see that coming" to "what the gently caress is this supposed to even mean? WHY?"

Not trying to sell you on VLR, though. If you didn't leave 999 with a positive experience, VLR is largely more of the same, and an subjectively better story/conclusion isn't going to change anything.

enojy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 23, 2015

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
My advice RE: 999 is to play it. Relax and have a good time. This idea of playing a video game as a required chore blocking the path to some other game is kind of silly, even though I can identify with it. After repeating the same bad ending a few times on accident, I decided to read the LP to catch what I missed. The puzzles and story are fun the first time, the story on the reply can be ffd'd through, but afaik you must go through the motions for each escape.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I liked 999. I went coffin > Safe > sub. Then I said, F this, I am not going to keep playing over and over to see the end then saw that I just had to do EXACTLY what I did for coffin again. So I did.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

I liked 999. I went coffin > Safe > sub. Then I said, F this, I am not going to keep playing over and over to see the end then saw that I just had to do EXACTLY what I did for coffin again. So I did.

yeah that pissed me off when i found out because i purposefully avoided doing things twice

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I'm not sure if 999 has this, but VLR has a flowchart that shows you exactly which scenes you've seen and which choices you've made, and you can jump around at will between different scenes and decision points, so replaying over and over again really isn't a big deal at all. You can totally skip over the parts you've already seen and go straight to the point at which it's different. Also, it isn't just bullshit busywork. The concept of repeating events you've already experienced and attempting to make them turn out differently is part of the story.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I kinda hope ZTD just goes full batshit with all the time travel stuff.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

999 does not have that which is where the complaints come from.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

999 does not have that which is where the complaints come from.

Yeah but you can just fast forward through text you've already read.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You do have to re-solve the puzzles again, though they are lot quicker and easier the second time obviously.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's a lot more tedious regardless. I don't consider it a deal breaker but VLR is a vast improvement in that regard. You never have to repeat a single scene or puzzle to do everything in VLR.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah VLR definitely improved the QOL aspects.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Alright, so I've decided to throw a god dang dollar at Pokemon Picross, because it's definitely worth (at the very least) a dollar to me. I'm trying to just get that one-time 200 picrites for $0.99, but there doesn't seem to be a way to "add required funds" in game -- it defaults to a minimum of $10, which I don't feel like dumping into the eShop. Am I missing something? Is there any way to just add $0.99 (or $1.00) to the eShop?

Edit: ah, I found a trick. In case anyone else is interested, go find something on the eShop that costs how much you want to spend in Pokemon Picross and "buy" that, since the eShop will let you add a deficient amount. Once the funds are added, just back out of the eShop purchase. At least, this supposedly works, or I'm gonna end up with some hilariously bad $0.99 shovelware and a dollar less in my bank account.

enojy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 23, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

enojy posted:

Alright, so I've decided to throw a god dang dollar at Pokemon Picross, because it's definitely worth (at the very least) a dollar to me. I'm trying to just get that one-time 200 picrites for $0.99, but there doesn't seem to be a way to "add required funds" in game -- it defaults to a minimum of $10, which I don't feel like dumping into the eShop. Am I missing something? Is there any way to just add $0.99 (or $1.00) to the eShop?

For some reason it's the one game that doesn't have that option so you could maybe add the funds a different way like the badge arcade or something

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

enojy posted:

That one-time 200 won't get you very far. Open maybe three or four new stages in the very early going (but not later--I think the last stage cost 250 to open).
It won't even cover the one-time 500-picrite mega-evo item's cost.
I paid thirty bucks for the whole shebang, but if there's a budget concern, go with the Picross E titles first.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

fount of knowledge posted:

My first and only run-through of 999 I enjoyed thoroughly up until the ending where the game basically said "Hey good job you made all the right choices BUT YOU HAVEN'T SEEN ALL OUR ENDINGS, SO HERE'S A BULLSHIT NON-ENDING NOW FUCKOFF."

Then I lost the cart and never went back to it.:v:.

Experiencing (all) the different story branches is a plot point, though, so it makes sense.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I can see not liking 999. I personally enjoyed it, but was completely soured on VLR by the big twist being copied and pasted wholesale from Ever17, one of Uchikoshi's earlier works. You can only pull the 'ooh no mirrors so how do you know what the viewpoint character actually looks like' trick once, buddy.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I can see not liking 999. I personally enjoyed it, but was completely soured on VLR by the big twist being copied and pasted wholesale from Ever17, one of Uchikoshi's earlier works. You can only pull the 'ooh no mirrors so how do you know what the viewpoint character actually looks like' trick once, buddy.
That's a really specific bit of trivia that most people aren't going to know, though

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
At least most/all of VLR is really interesting and not just the last 20% or so.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ever17 is pretty boring for most of it so it's okay if he reuses a twist but in a good game imo

Duo
Aug 4, 2002
So is the Ace Attorney trilogy probably the best way to get into the series at this point? I have the iOS port of AA 1 but lost my save halfway through when I moved to a new phone. I thought the original DS games were hard to find/expensive but I see the original on walmart's website for about 17 bucks. Is this a fluke or did they start selling it again? Or am I thinking of some other series?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Duo posted:

So is the Ace Attorney trilogy probably the best way to get into the series at this point? I have the iOS port of AA 1 but lost my save halfway through when I moved to a new phone. I thought the original DS games were hard to find/expensive but I see the original on walmart's website for about 17 bucks. Is this a fluke or did they start selling it again? Or am I thinking of some other series?

The DS games aren't terribly hard to find. I can find them all on Amazon for less than $20. So they're arguably still the best way to experience the games because their artwork looks better. As far as convenience goes having them all in one package on your 3DS is pretty great too though.

As a true AA fan I have both.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
If you dislike digital release you can import the physical Jap release which has english text and can be launched via the homebrew launcher.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

also yeah 999 is a pretty self contained story

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Are there more cases like the extra from Ace Attorney 1 in the trilogy and DD? Took me hours to get through that thing.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

No. The only thing that comes close is the final case of Investigations where the culprit of the case takes literal hours to take down

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

No. The only thing that comes close is the final case of Investigations where the culprit of the case takes literal hours to take down

Extraterritorial Rights.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

1-5 is a rare beast in that they incorporated the complexity of the later games into the 3 day structure of the first game. We shall never see its like again.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

1-5 is hard. And good. I think Angel Starr's testimony in 1-5 about what she saw in the car park is the hardest testimony in the entire series. I can never get through it without cheating at some point.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Doug Dinsdale posted:

That one-time 200 won't get you very far. Open maybe three or four new stages in the very early going (but not later--I think the last stage cost 250 to open).
It won't even cover the one-time 500-picrite mega-evo item's cost.
I paid thirty bucks for the whole shebang, but if there's a budget concern, go with the Picross E titles first.

Man, tell me about it... I went ahead and bought the two one-time-only packs, thinking I'd be pretty set for a while, and to get into area 5 I think. Only to have Professor rear end in a top hat tell me he needs 500 dang picrites to make a mega pencil. These motherfuckers got me.

In the end, I won't be mad if I end up spending $30 on this game, since I've already gotten more mileage out of it than some more expensive games, but I'm trying to avoid it.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

You guys are hyping me up for Picross 3D 2!!

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
For reference, Pokemon Picross's standard puzzles took a me shade under sixty hours to 100%, including all missions.
(Had to backtrack and repeat a ton of puzzles because I overlooked missions. On the other hand, I got pretty lazy and was blowing up a lot of bigger panels toward the end with multiple bombers so there was only mopping up to do afterwards. I think they detract from the pure Picross experience, but when one's repeating puzzles...)
I have most of one multi-panel puzzle left out of two, and the vast majority of the Mega Picross side is untouched.
So, say around 120 hours to 100% everything? (Don't plan on doing that. I figure I'll just play the Mega side normally without worrying about the dumb missions.)

I figure I've pissed away thirty bucks much faster and in less satisfying ways, so I came out ahead.

Most of the Picross E titles take me around 22-ish hours, though the later ones with Mega Picross as well have taken increasingly longer. (E6 jumped to nearly sixty hours to 100%.)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Duo posted:

Even if the new sprites are worse, the level of effort put into the originals shines through and offsets it anyway and they're not bad or anything, except some of the really really old ones. Plus, there is the feature where you can speed through dialogue instead of it autoscroling.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Any of you have combat tips for Xenoblade? I'm bad at real time combat and I keep dying to the second boss (before Colony 6).

I'm level 17 which seems a tad overleveled so welp.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Olivil posted:

Any of you have combat tips for Xenoblade? I'm bad at real time combat and I keep dying to the second boss (before Colony 6).

I'm level 17 which seems a tad overleveled so welp.

Make sure Reyn's set up with his defensive tree so he's taking the brunt of the attention and damage. He can eat the hits, Shulk and Sharla can't.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Is the second boss Xord? I recall having a real tough time with him and my advice basically boils down to abusing the hell out of chaining :shrug:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
scored a new in box unopened n3DS XL for $95. There's still one left if you're feeling lucky. Did I get a decent deal y/n?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331739509853?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The Iron Rose posted:

scored a new in box unopened n3DS XL for $95. There's still one left if you're feeling lucky. Did I get a decent deal y/n?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331739509853?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

With that kind of deal and that kind of feedback history, you probably got ripped off or bought stolen goods, but good luck!