Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

That's Hemingway

No that's Hemmingway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Nanomashoes posted:

No that's Hemmingway.

Herringway

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Ras Het posted:

Can we ignore the literal idiot's opinions about Calvino and forums user mallamp

Woah hey you should totally lisgten to my posts about Calvino

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

blue squares posted:

So I had to stop listening to the audiobook of A Little Life and buy a hardcover instead, because while the narrator of the audiobook is so drat good, I hear the book gets pretty emotionally intense later on, and I don't feel like crying while running and listening to a book. So my new audio book is the first of Elena Ferrante's 4-part series of "Neapolitan Novels." It's great. The prologue is a very interesting mystery and the first childhood scene, with the rock throwing, is a twist on a classic male youth story. Anyone else read any of these? I think it might be the first Italian novel I have read. I've been to Naples, where it is set, which is cool.

I went to Naples and had the best pizza i have ever had from a weird little hole in the wall place. Read Calvino.

Edit;they als o did really good arancini

CestMoi fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 24, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The Victorian Era, much like the 1980s and aesthetics, was a time of terrible literature. Discuss

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

blue squares posted:

The Victorian Era, much like the 1980s and aesthetics, was a time of terrible literature. Discuss

There has been good literature forever

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The Way of All Flesh, On the Origin of Species, Conditions of the Working Class in England - good times.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

blue squares posted:

So I had to stop listening to the audiobook of A Little Life and buy a hardcover instead, because while the narrator of the audiobook is so drat good, I hear the book gets pretty emotionally intense later on, and I don't feel like crying while running and listening to a book. So my new audio book is the first of Elena Ferrante's 4-part series of "Neapolitan Novels." It's great. The prologue is a very interesting mystery and the first childhood scene, with the rock throwing, is a twist on a classic male youth story. Anyone else read any of these? I think it might be the first Italian novel I have read. I've been to Naples, where it is set, which is cool.

Yeah, I read the first novel from the Neapolitan series and it was great. I'll certainly get the others at some point as well. Very strong characters and well written. I did miss the "twist on a classic male youth story", which one do you mean?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Walh Hara posted:

Yeah, I read the first novel from the Neapolitan series and it was great. I'll certainly get the others at some point as well. Very strong characters and well written. I did miss the "twist on a classic male youth story", which one do you mean?

Just the rock throwing being girls against boys, and the protagonists almost winning but then getting hit in the head anyway. Not a huge twist, I guess, I just liked that it was such a similar scenario, like something out of a Stephen King book like IT or Stand By Me, but with girls.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

Everything before WWI is trash hth

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mel Mudkiper posted:

i may have to fight u

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

V. Illych L. posted:

i may have to fight u

Switchblades behind the 7/11

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Same but WWII

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hello and merry christmas child booker thread. I just finished things fall apart and I don't know why people say its a tragic story. It looks like the missionary really improved everyone's life.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Same but WWIV.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I just started rereading the Iliad and it owns owns owns

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Switchblades behind the 7/11

Blunderbuss duel at dawn

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Collected Henry James, mud pit

rembrant
Feb 5, 2006

I believe in Mr. Grieves.
I figured I should post in this thread instead of just lurk as my Christmas present to all of you. You're welcome.

So, I'm reading Malcolm Lowry's Under the Volcano and it is, so far, one of the best arguments I have for reading things on a kindle/e-reader. Lowry loves his untranslated Spanish, French, and Latin and, just by pressing my finger over those sentences, I can understand what he's saying without having to bother with context clues or using my dumb brain or being an educated member of a multi-lingual world. It's great. Anyway, so far I love the writing, but feel like the world is closing in more around me with every sentence. What I'm saying is, it's exactly the mood I want to be in for the holidays.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Just wait till Cest Moi reads that post

rembrant
Feb 5, 2006

I believe in Mr. Grieves.

blue squares posted:

Just wait till Cest Moi reads that post

Stupid babies that don't have a theory of the mind should just buy kindles.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Happy non denominational free pile of books day

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I gave out Euphoria, Middlesex, Canticle for Leibowitz, Time Traveller's Wife, and a few other obscure genre books.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I got books and money that I may spend on books. I got some classics, but I'm saving them for the new year.

But I want to talk about one of the books I got. Revenge: Eleven Dark Tales by Yoko Ogawa. It's a collection of short stories, except they're interwoven together. Like, a car accident involving tomatoes comes up in one story, and in the next story, someone has taken the tomatoes from the accident and given them away. Characters that were briefly mentioned in one story come back as central characters in the next, that sort of thing. It sounds stupid when I say it, but I thought it was brilliantly done. Also death is like one of the central themes of it. People should read it, it's probably my favorite thing by Ogawa.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah my girlfriend bought that at the beginning of the year and we both read it and loved it. Coincidentally I'm reading The Diving Pool by her just now. A different style (3 longer short stories rather than 11 short ones) but I'm enjoying it so far.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I third the recommendation - some really strong stories in that one. I've gotten a three novella set on the strength of Revenge - looking forward to reading it next year!

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I got AMerica by Baudrillard and I've flicked through it a bit and it's very cool, if I think probably almost completely obsoleted in its insights on culture stuff by the internet. Mostly I've been reading THe Conquest of Bread by Peter Kropotkin, who looks quite a lot like Santa Claus. MEryy Christmas.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I had that America book, and it looked realy cool, but i never got to actually reading it, so i just gave it away to a charity shop when I moved.

I got a Jeeves omnibus with three novels. I disliked THe Mating Season, but I'll give him another go, I guess.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
War All the Time and A Brief History of Seven Killings!

But I had like five more books on my amazon wishlist and no one got them for me :(

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Brief History will take you awhile so no worries

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I've got to stop getting into long books. The past year, almost every book I've read has been 500+ pages.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It's also in phonetic 70s Jamaican

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The audiobook of Seven Killings is outstanding. Each of the POV characters are narrated by a different actor, and the Jamaican ones are so interesting to listen to. I think everyone should listen to that book, not read it

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

blue squares posted:

The audiobook of Seven Killings is outstanding. Each of the POV characters are narrated by a different actor, and the Jamaican ones are so interesting to listen to. I think everyone should listen to that book, not read it

drat that sounds great

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

War All the Time and A Brief History of Seven Killings!

But I had like five more books on my amazon wishlist and no one got them for me :(

I got Brief History also, as well as Journey by Moonlight by Antal Szerb (anyone read this??). And also Gamelife by Michael Clune, which was a pretty cool read about video games and childhood, but was occasionally insufferable and disturbing. Clune is friends with Ben Lerner (:barf:) so that might explain something.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

thehoodie posted:

. Clune is friends with Ben Lerner (:barf:) so that might explain something.

Does Ben Lerner have compromising photos of a publisher or something?

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Corrode posted:

Yeah my girlfriend bought that at the beginning of the year and we both read it and loved it. Coincidentally I'm reading The Diving Pool by her just now. A different style (3 longer short stories rather than 11 short ones) but I'm enjoying it so far.

I think I've read every single book published in English by her. The Housekeeper and the Professor was my second-favorite (though it's quite unlike Revenge) though I did quite like Diving Pool.

drat, I kind of wish I could forget I read Revenge so I could read it for the first time again. It's been a long time since I've felt that. Maybe not since The Notebook, The Proof, the Third Lie, where everything just changed in the third book and I had to reevaluate the whole thing.

It's a sad feeling, but I kind of like it. What are more books that will give me this feeling?

Edit: Wait, if I'm out of Ogawa books to read in English what do I do with my life?

Caustic Chimera fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 26, 2015

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

When I turn 40 I'm going to stop reading new things and instead go back and re-read everything I've ever read.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
I've been reading some Latin American stuff lately and I got some Cesar Aira books for Christmas. Never really come across him, anyone have any opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheQat posted:

drat that sounds great

I read it rather than audiobooking but Brief History is goddamn amazing, and the patois really adds to it.

Caustic Chimera posted:

I think I've read every single book published in English by her. The Housekeeper and the Professor was my second-favorite (though it's quite unlike Revenge) though I did quite like Diving Pool.

drat, I kind of wish I could forget I read Revenge so I could read it for the first time again. It's been a long time since I've felt that. Maybe not since The Notebook, The Proof, the Third Lie, where everything just changed in the third book and I had to reevaluate the whole thing.

It's a sad feeling, but I kind of like it. What are more books that will give me this feeling?

Edit: Wait, if I'm out of Ogawa books to read in English what do I do with my life?

I bought someone Revenge for a Secret Santa this year because the guidance she gave was "buy me something you think is great!" I finished the Diving Pool collection this morning too. I love Ogawa's prose and how unsettling everything is without there being a lot of normal horror or supernatural stuff going on.

Magnus Manfist posted:

I've been reading some Latin American stuff lately and I got some Cesar Aira books for Christmas. Never really come across him, anyone have any opinions?

I read some Aira this year - a collection called 3 Novels with Ghosts, An Episode in the Life of a Landscape Painter and The Literary Conference. Really good imo.