Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Or raise your rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mariooncrack posted:

Or raise your rates.

Also probable. My father's company started canceling coverage for smokers a few years ago.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

It's so they can deny you health coverage.

There's one company here (a landscaping company of all things) that will fire you over nicotine use, and refuses to hire anyone who tests positive for it; it was a big enough deal that it made the news here a few years back. So it's not just for benefits; IIRC the owner justified it by saying he can't afford for his employees to take sick days.

There are some states that prohibit firing for anything you do off the clock, so long as it's legal (so tobacco, alcohol, :420: in some areas, etc), but Texas has pretty much zero protections for employees.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 24, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think they call it "right to work."

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

True, but a lot of states (some of them right to work) still have active smoker protection laws.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah Indiana hates low tier employees as well.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

mariooncrack posted:

Or raise your rates.

If only you knew :allears:

The whole system is designed to circumvent medical underwriting (which I do believe is illegal in the states now), everyone loses their poo poo over filling out a health questionnaire. But filling out a a "Wellness quiz" that gives you a little bullshit health at the end and like $50 in your Health Spending Account? Everyone eats that poo poo up. And at the end the insurance company has all your health information, the questions are literally right off the health questionnaires. No joke people in my own department, who deal with this crap day in and day out, are willing to sell themselves out for a $50 credit towards gym membership. If we know what medical conditions you have we can easily predict what claims will be like for a group, the employer probably gets something like a 3% discount on premium for being "smoke/drug free", meanwhile the insurance company is saving millions each year.

edit: This poo poo is so cynical its unbelievable, I hate this job for this exact reason. I'm on the front loving line of this horseshit that they roll out but I'm the only one in my department who seems to be able to read through "Fill out this Wellness quiz for 'credits' that has the exact same loving questions as our health questionnaire but with a total discalimer at the bottom that my employer has access to this info" to see that this is how these fuckers are going to become rich as hell in the future. I hate this loving job so much I've drunk more in the past year than I have the rest of my life because of the completely cynical access and razor edge everything is on in this business.

If we have $100k in health claims from one employee on a policy, one of two things are likely to happen. If its from an employee of that group policy then gently caress them the sales department is going to give the name of the employee out to keep the broker happy, the owner will likely fire them and I'll be asked to reverse the claims. Initially my manager will say no, so I'm the loving big bad rear end in a top hat that has to tell these psychopaths that "Hey dickwads, you know firing somebody because they had a medical emergency isn't so hot, maybe we should do the right thing and punish these fuckers for being complete loving piles of burning poo poo", this works for all of five loving minutes then they'll call my manager and my manager will overturn the exact same thing she told me to do maybe an hour earlier, she'll look like the reasonable one and I'm the dickbag.

The complete flipside of this is if the $100k in claims comes from the owner where you can just loving play this exact same situation in reverse, this seems fine and almost reasonable at first. Until you realize that 99% of the time the owner is forcing every employee to pay 50% of the premiums and the same owner that would kick your rear end to the curb if it was your claims is now forcing you to pay for his wife/son/grandmother's claims. I still get the same initial "deny this poo poo" from the manager and I still get the "Yeah sales just called complaining about this decision, overturn it". It's complete and total horseshit that the industry operates like this.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 24, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

jamal posted:

I think they call it "right to work."

NO!

"At-will employment."

E: I may have kneejerked. "At will" is the right of the employer to fire you whenever.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 24, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Doesn't matter. Right to Work basically allows them to MAKE UP a reason to fire you.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Doesn't matter. Right to Work basically allows them to MAKE UP a reason to fire you.

Oh trust me, I know. I've been fired from a job for walking in the door 3 minutes late, the first time I'd ever been late. They made up reasons to fire over half the company in the span of about a week.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CommieGIR posted:

No. At will does that
Right to work breaks up unions.
At will lets you be fired for no reason.

Know what you hate.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That moment when you send a friend a text saying Merry Christmas, and you find out she's sitting in an ER with her boyfriend - ER suspects either burst appendix or gallbladder, they're doing a CT scan soon. :sigh:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Jeeze yesterday was weird.

Geirskogul posted:

Just a quick EMS story that I really want to elaborate on but I'm like dead loving tired but have to tell somebody that will appreciate the horrors.

Call to a SNF, a notorious one at that. One that will call in "abdominal pain, BLS request" (I'm an EMT on a BLS crew, unusual for the setup in Phoenix) for what really turns out to be a STEMI. Like, regularly.

They call R/M and do a BLS request for "bilateral humerus." I ask our dispatch if they mean "bilateral humerus fx" but she puts us on hold, calls the SNF back, and comes back to us with "nope, she said 'bilateral humerus' and that's it." I replied "okay, so we know our patient has two arms. Enroute."

Show up, and there's a very nice elderly woman in bed with her left arm in a plain old sling, the type you'd buy at CVS. Her other arm is in one of those molded neoprene-and-plastic jobbies that you would put around your upper arm and elbow for soreness or something, again a cheap thing you'd buy at CVS.

Her right arm looks fine. Her left arm, however, is the darkest purple I've seen, from bicep to fingertip. It is also swollen, and waxy, but not cold, and I can obtain both a radial and ulnar pulse. She can still move her fingers and squeeze my hand, but complains of "not grabbing things as well as before." Of course, ma'am, that's because your fingers look like overstuffed sausages.

The nurse, which I'm pretty certain wasn't actually a nurse, comes in an tells us in very broken English that she has a surgery tomorrow at X hospital and she needs to go to the ER the day before for presurgery. Her surgery is on her gallbladder.

What?!

First of all, you just can't send someone to the ER for presurgery. That's what transport vans and presurgery prep are all about, which is what the SNF is supposed to take care of initially (fasting from midnight, etc). We do morning surgery transports literally every day. The ER is not for presurgery hold, especially when it's the busiest ER in Arizona and at that particular moment the entirety of Mesa was falling apart faster than a knockoff cookie in a glass of milk. Second question: GALLBLADDER surgery? Why did you call it in as "bilateral humerus [fracture]"? Are you weirdly trying to cover your own rear end? What is going on?

Of course, the second she handed us a stack of badly-organized paperwork after muttering the "gallbladder surgery" remark, she was out of there! Like a fart in a hurricane, nobody was to be found in any of the adjoining hallways in any direction. It took a few seconds for us to gather ourselves after the confusing remark, and of course I started thumbing through the paperwork for a few seconds. In those few seconds, she managed to abscond to godknowswhere with every tech and RT that we saw when we were walking in. The search was fruitless.

We took a few minutes to talk with the very nice patient, and read through the paperwork. Turns out our lady had fallen first back in October and fractured her right humerus, which was casted up and looked okay at first glance. Then, keeping in mind that this happened to us yesterday on the 22nd, she fell a second time off of her walker and fractured her left humerus...on the 14th, and had been referred to a hospital by the doctor on staff back then, but for some reason never made the trip. There were notes on the 15th, 17th, and 19th about how she was still waiting for <something> to go to the ER for her loving BROKEN ARM.

To top all of this off, she had a blood draw and labs done on the night of the 21st. In that lab report (one of those mobile labs), her H/H was 5.6/17. 5.6! City protocol is pretty standard across all of the medical directors, and a second draw is usually done within 24 hours or something (I'm not sure on the specific timeframe) if it's below 11, and anything below 6 is an immediate transport. What the loving gently caress?

Being BLS, we throw a pulse-ox on her and she's satting at 90 flat and her heartrate is through the roof. Enroute we discover that the "good" arm in the neoprene brace has started to slough into the brace itself, as trying to peel back the edge of the neoprene to take a look at her skin instead peeled her skin off a bit :stare: And there was absolutely nothing in the paperwork, by name or by interpreted lab results, that indicated gallbladder surgery.

Blah blah blah we get to the hospital and there is most likely a big investigation going on right now, but the entire call was just so :psyduck: that I have to vent here.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

That moment when you send a friend a text saying Merry Christmas, and you find out she's sitting in an ER with her boyfriend - ER suspects either burst appendix or gallbladder, they're doing a CT scan soon. :sigh:

Those things look like portal machines with the covers off https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWU-nB4l5dU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Oh god. I'm out of alcohol. The only thing left is methylated spirits. Send help...

gently caress I hate Christmas/life/everything.

On the bright side I fixed the Rav4's glovebox with a screw I saved from the Magna. Before that I had to disentangle the 3DS charger cable from the inside of the dashboard. Thanks for that, son. You must have tried hard to thread it through everything behind the dash.
Yes I let him play in the car. All the windows are wound down and the terrain is dead flat. Can't do anything untoward. He even set up his trike with a "gear stick" (water bottle in a basket), candy skull air freshener, and cig lighter accessories. He rides around changing gears and making car sounds on the road and bridge he built out of everything he could liberate.

yes I'm rambling. IDGAF. It's motherfucking Christmas eve. Shitfest tomorrow. Gotta vent. Cooking up a catering size apple pie for the family tonight because gently caress everything.

btw does anybody know the name of the actor in Fury Road that's the warboy who is talking to Furiosa in the war rig early in the movie. Doesn't seem like a spoiler to me. He seems so familiar but I don't know who he is.

Even more random poo poo. Since my son gouged the poo poo out of the drivers door on the Niva down to bare metal, does anyone have any suggestions what to cover it with? paint matching is too expensive / not worth it. I've already spotted an oval "CCCP" sticker that I want for the rear hatch where I've had to prime it because of the kindergarten level respray job. Just want something for the door. Remember it ain't pretty. In fact I'll be taking to the front guards with sledgehammer and pliers again shortly because I noticed I ripped a couple of the screws holding the flares out.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

My only request is that you set up a goPro for when you go full Tyler Durden and start punching yourself in your boss's office.

Geirskogul posted:

Jeeze yesterday was weird.

I see that EMS techs have just as many unknown acronyms as military folks. I want to know what's going on in this post but I have such a hard time understanding what all these letters mean. I hope you're doing okay though.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Ozmiander posted:

It's not nothing on T's Dr McGillicutty's MentholMint.

You're god drat right.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

nm posted:

No. At will does that
Right to work breaks up unions.
At will lets you be fired for no reason.

Know what you hate.

I know Right to Work was for union busting, but it also allows employers to basically fire you for....reasons.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Evidently I had a little too much to drink last night.

What up December chat who else is working a full day today? :smithicide:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm on call for DevOps support for our client, hopefully they won't have another unexplained Kernel Panic on their Database Server.

The fact that they've had 4 this year still leaves me :psyduck:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

1500quidporsche posted:

Flew in late last night from a business trip. Get the day off today and a full day's pay for it too :smug:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Little late on the present chat but when my dad asks me what I want for Christmas I always ask for help with car work. This year is gonna be a clutch job in the 240.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lack of any sort of proper operations no longer surprises me when I hear this word.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

1500quidporsche posted:

Yep. Plus I'm on-call until next Wednesday; shouldn't be too much of a problem as we shut down during the holiday season completely (to the point of turning off most non-public-facing services), but if something SHOULD happen I have to be within an hour's travel to the building. Upsides: $750 if I get called in at all, plus I don't have to go visit my girlfriend's dad's place. They are habitual indoor chain smokers and the inside of the house is covered in a thin, sticky film of yellow tar. They also don't stop smoking when they have visitors, it's like living near a coal plant.

Motronic posted:

Lack of any sort of proper operations no longer surprises me when I hear this word.

I think it depends on what the company/manager who's using it means. We're transitioning to a devops model in that our infrastructure is handled by a tool which takes the code we write and translates it into configurations, kickstarts, firewall and routing rules, etc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Mostly I'm doing Systems Administration for a Software Development team, while laughing at how awful the clients Operations team is.

4 Kernel Panics this year. And no explanation, nor willingness to share their logs. Oh, and they call us the instant it happens to fix it, but are unwilling to classify this system as 'Mission Critical'

Sigma X posted:

I think it depends on what the company/manager who's using it means. We're transitioning to a devops model in that our infrastructure is handled by a tool which takes the code we write and translates it into configurations, kickstarts, firewall and routing rules, etc.

Pretty much. DevOps is still kinda in its infancy, and some companies are just throwing around the word as a marketing gimmick for clients, but it does have real meaning and mostly is a hybrid between software deployment management and systems administration for development systems.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 24, 2015

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Fart Pipe posted:

You're god drat right.

Menthol Dr McGillicutty with a squirt of chocolate syrup is awesome

Just do exactly this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bt6aNEf3Vo

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

General_Failure posted:

btw does anybody know the name of the actor in Fury Road that's the warboy who is talking to Furiosa in the war rig early in the movie. Doesn't seem like a spoiler to me. He seems so familiar but I don't know who he is.

You talking about The Ace, played by Jon Iles? He doesn't have a pic on imdb but if you GIS him that's the guy who hangs off her door and relays the instructions to the rest of the guys.

El Jebus posted:

Made it to Sheridan OR without any issues. Drinking good beer and smoking weed with the family. Happy holidays everyone!

Your family's in Sheridan? I'll be driving right past you next week, I grew up in Newberg and dated girls in McMinnville but never descended into Sheridan! That's almost as bad as hanging out in Amity! hehe.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Half day, and on the way in I decided to treat myself to an early Christmas gift of flat spins in an abandoned parking lot until I became concerned about oil starvation.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CommieGIR posted:

I know Right to Work was for union busting, but it also allows employers to basically fire you for....reasons.

Two different things. Right to work essentially means if a work place is unionized, you get to enjoy the benefits without paying the union membership. This kills unions because of the freeloader issue. It doesn't touching firing.

At will means you can be fired without notice or cause.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

nm posted:

Two different things. Right to work essentially means if a work place is unionized, you get to enjoy the benefits without paying the union membership. This kills unions because of the freeloader issue. It doesn't touching firing.

They tend to go hand in hand, by busting the unions and then making employment more favorable to the employer.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Sup holiday working buddy. Too bad I don't get time and a half for closing today. :(

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Elmnt80 posted:

Sup holiday working buddy. Too bad I don't get time and a half for closing today. :(

I'm working today (from home), but expect to be told to knock off early, since that's pretty typical for our company at all the holidays. Probably around 2pm or so.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Son of a bitch I missed it! I planned this moment for months and I zoned out for 1.7 mile too far!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Last night when I got into NY, the traffic on I684 and 84 was so bad that google maps saved me 15 minutes by sending me down some tight, dirt back roads. Apparently steady rain is now too difficult to drive above 45 mph in for people in NY and CT.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

That sucks the oreillys my shop uses is closing at noon allegedly. Works for me cause I now don't have to do a alternator and thermostat on a 99 ram van with the v6.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

some texas redneck posted:

I enjoy giving presents, though it's had to be small stuff this year.

Stepdad got this, since he drinks coffee nonstop and works for Walgreens.

Hah, I got the same mug for my chiropracter sister (yes, I'm aware of the mild irony that chiro's aren't allowed to prescribe,) plus this one. Yeah, sis likes coffee.

quote:

Dad got this, since he drinks coffee nonstop, is a CPA/CVA, and getting ready to retire. Figured it'd go well on his desk at work.

Mom got a calendar from a badass local photographer that we both like. He single handedly made sure Dallas never uses this particular holiday decor setup again after printing up a batch of Christmas cards with that photo. :laffo:

Ah hahahahahahahah! I hadn't seen that before!

quote:

One of my aunts sent me a card saying she'd made a donation to a charity I happened to support, in my name.

Personally, I appreciated it far more than a physical gift.

When my parents ask what I want, I tell them "nothing, and especially not any clothes". So I always wind up with clothes that I don't like :argh: and a gift card or two. :unsmith: I really don't want them spending their money on me damnit.

My mom's actually not too bad at finding clothes I like. And she usually finds them at thrift shops, so inexpensive for her, too, which is fine with me.

nm posted:

But it also means that you can quite any time without notice or reason (because, that's always been a problem, right?)

Holiday work chat: I'm in today (24th). The host company IT will get early dismissal at about 2-3 PM, if tradition serves, but since I work for the outsourced IT, I'm here until 5, unless I sneak out (which may happen - I'm on vacation next week, and my boss is rarely seen by us.)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CommieGIR posted:

They tend to go hand in hand, by busting the unions and then making employment more favorable to the employer.

But you mistakenly mixed them up; you're first one up against the wall, "komrade".

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Not always. And the order is different.
At will infests 43 states. The exceptions, strangely are mostly in the south. Quite frankly the fight is lost.

Right to work exists in about half the states (basically the west coast, half the midwest, and the northeast). It is still an on going fight.

The reason it matters is that when rtw comes up you should push back and hard. When at will comes up, you should push back but save your energy for rtw.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I'm helping a few different friends car shop, and she sent a few inquiry emails to various dealerships about an assortment of cars. She found a 2005 Civic she like and this was the email response she received when she asked for additional information and pictures as they only had three up on their website at the time.

quote:

The car has all original equipment even the radio. Everything works. It has one rust spot on driver's side rear fender. That's it undercarriage and everything else is good. It seems to me that a prospective buyer would like to drive the car and I can't send that. So if you're serious and you don't live in Bolivia you should come and see and drive the car.

Working real hard to sell those cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

LloydDobler posted:

You talking about The Ace, played by Jon Iles? He doesn't have a pic on imdb but if you GIS him that's the guy who hangs off her door and relays the instructions to the rest of the guys.

Your family's in Sheridan? I'll be driving right past you next week, I grew up in Newberg and dated girls in McMinnville but never descended into Sheridan! That's almost as bad as hanging out in Amity! hehe.

Make sure to use Trip Check. 22 might still be closed due to giant boulder falling on road. 18 could get a bunch of snow tonight. Newberg... I actually grew up outside of Gaston and my wife is from the area as well. Parents literally bought the farm a couple years ago and have made it way more difficult to do Christmas at both homes on the same day. If you can, avoid Sheridan. It is nothing special. Willamina is way nicer and has that rural Oregon charm without the visible confederate flags in the Windows. If you like good beer go see our friends at The Bitter Monk in McMinnville. You still live in the area?

• Locked thread