Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gilganixon posted:

They had a target of $30,000 which means they were hoping to shift a couple hundred of these things at most. If they're as artisinal as they claim aren't they going to have trouble scaling up to twenty times that amount?

Yup

quote:

Risks and challenges

Depending on the number of Lampsters, painting each one by hand, might delay shipping for some!
For "some", yeah right.
On the other hand it looks like the painting is the only "artisanal" aspect about them and 95% of the orders will have an incredibly simple paint design and they've only had 61 orders for the "totally customized" option so it shouldn't delay things too long unless they really gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

On the other hand it looks like the painting is the only "artisanal" aspect about them and 95% of the orders will have an incredibly simple paint design and they've only had 61 orders for the "totally customized" option so it shouldn't delay things too long unless they really gently caress up.

This'll be fun to watch...

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i want a desktop disco light that is also an Amiibo.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

The Atari Flashback 2 is so good that they left some stuff on the board inside so that you could cut out a cartridge slot int he case and solder in a cartridge port, and play original Atari 2600 cartridges on it. It also takes the original controllers. The Atari Flashback 3 up to Atari Flashback 6 lose that cpability because they go back to full emulation, but they have progressively more games built in - the 2 has 40 games, some of which were unreleased and some are homebrew, the 3 has 60, the 5 has a full 100 games and came out in September.

So I'd recommend picking up the Atari Flashback 2 if you ever plan to buy real Atari 2600 games, or to buy that Harmony flashcart that lets you load roms for all the 2600 games onto a single cartridge. And if you just want to play about 60 of the best 2600 games and another 40 decent ones, get the latest one, the Atari Flashback 5. You can still plug in the original console controllers to it.

Awesome, thanks for the info. My Atari nostalgia is limited so the 5/6 would suit me fine.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Who wants an overpriced key blank you'll have to pay even more for to get it cut, that will snag on everything in your purse/bag/pocket, be hard to turn in the knob, and might not ever make it to production for trademark and/or copyright issues?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If you are a huge dork who needs some sort of fantasy world to spring forth from his pocket when he takes out his keys (and I don't begrudge you that, I play tabletop games with little figurines), can't you just get a keychain themed like the thing you like?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nintendo gonna shut these idiots down.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nintendo gonna shut these idiots down.

They already changed the name of the lightsaber one, probably because someone told them that's not wise to use a copyrighted character's name to describe their product.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
True to its name, The Dead Linger is dead but will continue to linger on Steam, soaking up purchases from people who don't know any better since they never actually removed the game from Early Access.

Or at least, that's what would have happened if Steam hadn't gotten wise and completely removed the game from their store. Nice to see they're taking at least some action against people who are taking the money and running :toot:

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
I thought I read a bit ago that they started requiring early access games to update at least once every so often or they get removed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Smdh if you ever buy early access

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

What do you mean we can't use the Star Trek franchise to raise over $1 million for our fan film without permission?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Safetronic - The world's safest, sharpest and smartest seatbelt.

So first off, you probably don't ever want to describe a seatbelt as 'sharp' but that's just my opinion. The campaign itself is fairly average; inventor promises a revolutionary new product that is clearly still in the 'idea sketched on a napkin' stage and outlines no clear path to production but where this kickstarter really shines is the absolutely bugfuck, insane pledge tiers:

• Pledge $25 or more - will put your name in my sponsor directory
  • Pledge $55 or more - will mention first 10 company's in my commercial if I go on tv or interviewed
  • Pledge $80 or more - will help promote your company in any way I can through online or off
  • Pledge $100 or more - if my idea gets more then 45 million I will give first 25 people 300,000 dollers

Also, the guy behind the campaign is named John Jacob Klingelhutz which, imo, is delightful.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

cyberia posted:

So first off, you probably don't ever want to describe a seatbelt as 'sharp' but that's just my opinion. The campaign itself is fairly average; inventor promises a revolutionary new product that is clearly still in the 'idea sketched on a napkin' stage and outlines no clear path to production but where this kickstarter really shines is the absolutely bugfuck, insane pledge tiers:

• Pledge $55 or more - will mention first 10 company's in my commercial if I go on tv or interviewed
  • Pledge $80 or more - will help promote your company in any way I can through online or off
  • Pledge $100 or more - if my idea gets more then 45 million I will give first 25 people 300,000 dollers

Also, the guy behind the campaign is named John Jacob Klingelhutz which, imo, is delightful.

Risks and challenges

"If you can make it you can fix it"
Anything that is made can be fixed
If there any problems that occurs then the team needs to come togeather to solve the issues as soon as possible and make sure we can prevent it from having same issue again

Veotax
May 16, 2006

And also sell unlicensed products based on Star Trek

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

cyberia posted:

His description of the product is so loving sad.

Safetronicbelts are technologically-advanced seat belts to be installed in vehicles that will enhance the safety of drivers and there are linked to the vehicle’s ignition system, preventing the vehicle from being started unless the seat belts are fastened securely by the driver and the passengers. When the seat belts are not fastened, there will be an audible message informing everyone in the vehicle to fasten their belts so the vehicle can be started. To make wearing seat belts more comfortable and to reduce injuries caused by the belts during an accident, the belts contain a soft gel material to help absorb impact. Each belt has an emergency release button with an LED light to prevent injured people from being trapped and to make it easier for rescuers to release them from their belts. This safety system also includes a GPS unit, which will notify emergency service when an accident occurs, and a speaker to let the injured know that help has been summoned when they are unable to find or to use their cellphones. It is hoped that these new seat belts will reduce the numbers of people killed and injured in vehicular accidents worldwide.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

His description of the product is so loving sad.

Safetronicbelts are technologically-advanced seat belts to be installed in vehicles that will enhance the safety of drivers and there are linked to the vehicle’s ignition system, preventing the vehicle from being started unless the seat belts are fastened securely by the driver and the passengers. When the seat belts are not fastened, there will be an audible message informing everyone in the vehicle to fasten their belts so the vehicle can be started. To make wearing seat belts more comfortable and to reduce injuries caused by the belts during an accident, the belts contain a soft gel material to help absorb impact. Each belt has an emergency release button with an LED light to prevent injured people from being trapped and to make it easier for rescuers to release them from their belts. This safety system also includes a GPS unit, which will notify emergency service when an accident occurs, and a speaker to let the injured know that help has been summoned when they are unable to find or to use their cellphones. It is hoped that these new seat belts will reduce the numbers of people killed and injured in vehicular accidents worldwide.

I must be crazy because that looks perfectly reasonable to me, if a bit too "everything but the kitchen sink" ish

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Skyridge posted:

I must be crazy because that looks perfectly reasonable to me, if a bit too "everything but the kitchen sink" ish

I'm thinking:
- the soft gel material will actually spill violently during a crash and doesn't provide extra security (I think belts absorb the extra energy during a crash by bending a one time use strip of metal)
- the emergency release button adds complexity for no reason (why do you need an emergency release when the normal release is right there ?)
- can a consumer device legally call emergency services automatically ?

unpacked robinhood has a new favorite as of 21:59 on Jan 1, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

unpacked robinhood posted:

- can a consumer device legally call emergency services automatically ?

Recent model cars are equipped with systems that can be configured to call 911 immediately in case of an accident, piping through audio from a microphone in the car if the crash hasn't demolished that. The 911 center at minimum gets the location data from GPS.

Last month, a woman got arrested because she had a hit and run crash, and the car dialed 911 when the accident happened http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/us-woman-flees-hit-run-accident-caught-after-her-car-calls-police-1532145

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1793481042/star-wars-open-world-rpg/description

quote:

Like many of us when we were kids we wanted to be like Luke skywalker or obi one kinobi, but like all of us, we do not live in a galaxy far far away. There might be another way though. With all the open world RPGs out there how is there not a good one for Star Wars? I have decided to take matters into my own hands and write a story in the star wars universe that will fit inside a RPG video game. I am currently looking into talking with Disney if I am able to do this. If not then there might have to be a compromise on the name or some other parts. I need your help. I am not a very good programmer, and I'm an even worst artist. I want to put this project into the hands of professionals, but in order to do that I need money to hire them. This was my dream as a kid I hope you can share my same compassion, thank you.

I, too, have often dreamed of taking up the role of noble jedi knight Obi One Kinobi. It's great to see the passion and attention to detail of a true fan project. This guy may just be the "ideas man," but man, what ideas! An MMO! With A Star Wars!

quote:

Risks and challenges

Copy rights, pleasing all star wars fans, hiring professionals.

So you know, just a few things, like that minor hurdle of "copy rights."

Someone has already pledged at his $1,500 "maybe you can name a lightsaber, or something?" tier. They know quality when they see it. Ground floor. (I'm of course assuming it's a troll pledge from someone who knows drat well this isn't going to be up for more than a week.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

*Looks at KOTOR, Galaxies, The Okd Republic, and a bunch of tabletop games*

Yeah, never been a Star Wars RPG.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Those are all non-canon now, but this one will have Mickey Mouse and be canon.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Otisburg posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1793481042/star-wars-open-world-rpg/description

I, too, have often dreamed of taking up the role of noble jedi knight Obi One Kinobi.
So, I just looked at it now and...

quote:

Like many of us when we were kids, we wanted to be like Luke Skywalker or obi jim Kenobi

Also, :lol: $200,000 goal. He also mentions "Fallout" 3 times in the description. This is the trolliest Kickstarter I've seen.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Otisburg posted:

I, too, have often dreamed of taking up the role of noble jedi knight Obi One Kinobi. It's great to see the passion and attention to detail of a true fan project. This guy may just be the "ideas man," but man, what ideas! An MMO! With A Star Wars!

So you know, just a few things, like that minor hurdle of "copy rights."

Someone has already pledged at his $1,500 "maybe you can name a lightsaber, or something?" tier. They know quality when they see it. Ground floor. (I'm of course assuming it's a troll pledge from someone who knows drat well this isn't going to be up for more than a week.)

May the Force be with him

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ob Gyn Kenobi provides the best reproductive healthcare in the galaxy.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The MSJ posted:

Ob Gyn Kenobi provides the best reproductive healthcare in the galaxy.

Emperor Palpatine rose to power on a pledge to defund him tho.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Skyridge posted:

It's not crazy because everything on his list already exists, and nobody is going to put up with a car that won't start without a seatbelt.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
http://kotaku.com/bless-this-sweet-little-star-wars-kickstarter-1751217259

Won't somebody think of the Kickstarters? :qq:

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/598901351/black-adonis-southend-chronicles?ref=discovery

"An Urban Novel Series detailing the struggle of a Drug Lord's rise and fall, His survival finding GOD a lost Love and Redemption."

For $50 you get a postcard

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Would it be so hard for kickstarter to put a disclaimer in huge letters that says you shouldn't create a kickstarter for an IP that you don't own or affiliated with? There three or four major rules that you can show one by one to everyone who wants to create a kickstarter. No illegal things, prototypes are required for tech projects, no copyright foolery.

Please donate to my kickstarter to make this real!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Would it be so hard for kickstarter to put a disclaimer in huge letters that says you shouldn't create a kickstarter for an IP that you don't own or affiliated with? There three or four major rules that you can show one by one to everyone who wants to create a kickstarter. No illegal things, prototypes are required for tech projects, no copyright foolery.

Please donate to my kickstarter to make this real!

Why would they bother? It costs kickstarter no money (outside of server costs I suppose) to have these up, and they almost never succeed. It's not like they cause any harm. In the event that one does succeed, the person who runs the campaign is the one going to court, not kickstarter.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I...they're actually defending this? :qq: indeed. The commentators are tripping over themselves to defend the guy.

"I'm an IDEAS guy! I just need PROFESSIONALS to make my game! It'll be World of Warcraft meets Dark Souls meets Skyrim meets Undertale".

This is just Crimson Haze all over again. Wait, no, the Crimson Haze guy could actually make unusable 3d models.

Of course Kotaku would defend this.

EDIT:

"Dunning-Kruger Effect.jpeg posted:

What can I say, I totally get the guy.

If anything this talks about how high the entry bar to game development is, with all the advancements in technology, getting into game dev is still a bussines, and thus only viable to thos who are looking to make a profit. That’s precisely why we keep getting scammy dlc and broken launch days, because all those things are profitable.

Say what you want about this guy, but I’ve been there, wanting to make my dream game and not being able to (I don’t know anything about programming), while a bunch of idiots with more money than they know what to do with it and no love for the medium keep defacing the games I grew to love after so many years of playing them.

Mind you, I’m no planing to back this, but I could give him a hand with the art if he took it to gamesprout.

:downs:

This is why the Ouya exists. "Anyone can make games, you just need HEART! Not like those mean old AAA studios that know nothing about what makes a game fun!".

EDIT2: Deeper in the comments, proper cold hard reality sets in and the comments are better. Thanks to Kotaku's selective comment presentation, they're neatly buried where no one will see them.

Snuffman has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Jan 6, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"He doesn't know anything about copyright law, programming, art, game development budgets, or even the names of the characters in the thing he wants to license, but dammit, he's got heart."

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Snuffman posted:

I...they're actually defending this?

If by "defending" you mean "posting a contrarian viewpoint to get clicks" then yes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

He updated the pitch to claim he contacted Disney who told him to contact LFL.

:allears:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I can imagine Disney inviting him over for publicity. Maybe they'll call an NPC in his honour in their next lovely freemium match three mobile game.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

quote:

Ever wonder what if would be like if you were a Jedi with no boundaries, and could explore the galaxy freely?

Every time a game is described as having "no boundaries" it always either ends up either A) a game that never gets anywhere close to completion due to incompetence/developers biting off more than they can chew and/or B) another lovely Minecraft knock-off missing the basic tenets of game design like a sense of direction or noticeable progress. There's hundreds of these under Early Access on Steam flooding the market with numerous derivatives that never go anywhere. You'd think these people would learn after a while, but they keep making the stupid things.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

In crowdfunding news, Psychonauts 2 met its goal.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mildly Amusing posted:

Every time a game is described as having "no boundaries" it always either ends up either A) a game that never gets anywhere close to completion due to incompetence/developers biting off more than they can chew and/or B) another lovely Minecraft knock-off missing the basic tenets of game design like a sense of direction or noticeable progress. There's hundreds of these under Early Access on Steam flooding the market with numerous derivatives that never go anywhere. You'd think these people would learn after a while, but they keep making the stupid things.

In the specific case of MMOs there's also (3) just a gank-fest of degenerate gameplay. Which is fun for griefing but no one likes logging into the murder simulator to punch the clock as the victim so it suffers for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Otisburg posted:

In the specific case of MMOs there's also (3) just a gank-fest of degenerate gameplay. Which is fun for griefing but no one likes logging into the murder simulator to punch the clock as the victim so it suffers for it.

The fantasy: It'll be so fun building myself up and form alliances and make wars where we destroy other people's bases!

The reality: Half the servers have hackers who just cheat themselves a million resources, the remaining half is split between servers where the server's host's friends play and he bans people that griefs his friends or the other half is dominated by a group of players that literally play 24/7 with the best gear that immediately kills everyone end destroys their stuff. Also everyone just shoots first, good luck surviving when other people have guns and you don't.

Enjoy!