Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Ffs when I said 'swift' in my post i meant spark.

And you know what - it does do exactly that. They must have updated it. It's a Christmas miracle.

just wish it was less....blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Blue is the colour

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

virinvictus posted:

I'd just ask Marco. He's always been quick for support.

Nice troll ;).

FOr those not in the know, Marco is well known to not do support.

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

Ha that explains why I've received no reply yet!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Pissflaps posted:

just wish it was less....blue

It's a sign that you need to begin supporting Chelsea in their dire time of need.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Pissflaps posted:

I can't find my perfect mailbox replacement.

The main problem I have is that for some reason none of them seem to give you the option of deleting or archiving with a different swipe action. Sometimes I want to quickly archive a message, sometimes i want to quickly get rid of it. I've tried Outlook and Swift and Boxer and mail.app and Gmail.app and Inbox and Dashlane as far as I can tell none of them offer this seemingly simple thing. Have I missed something somewhere?

Apart from that they all have various quirks I don't like: Outlook wastes my time with calendaring and contacts, Swift is messy, Inbox too quirky, Gmail swipes are weird.

Basically I just want to keep using Mailbox. gently caress you dropbox.

Like this?
Boxer is awesome once you figure it out.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Pissflaps posted:

The main problem I have is that for some reason none of them seem to give you the option of deleting or archiving with a different swipe action. Sometimes I want to quickly archive a message, sometimes i want to quickly get rid of it. I've tried Outlook and Swift and Boxer and mail.app and Gmail.app and Inbox and Dashlane as far as I can tell none of them offer this seemingly simple thing. Have I missed something somewhere?

Apart from that they all have various quirks I don't like: Outlook wastes my time with calendaring and contacts, Swift is messy, Inbox too quirky, Gmail swipes are weird.

Unless I'm missing something, Outlook does this? You can set a left swipe and a right swipe to delete, archive, mark read/unread, schedule, move, etc.. Sounds like you have other problems with it, though.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

ChetReckless posted:

Unless I'm missing something, Outlook does this? You can set a left swipe and a right swipe to delete, archive, mark read/unread, schedule, move, etc.. Sounds like you have other problems with it, though.

Yeah, Outlook gives you the ability to custom the swipe right and left options.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Mail.app lets you swipe in one direction for archive and swipe in the other direction for delete.

Sandwich Fight
Oct 11, 2004

Explosion

dik-dik posted:

Mail.app lets you swipe in one direction for archive and swipe in the other direction for delete.

http://m.imore.com/how-use-archive-and-trash-simultaneously-ios-8-mail-app
You can get swipe to Archive and Delete in mail.app. Once I got it set up I love it with the force touch features

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm so sorry everyone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's okay, Pissflaps, I forgive you

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Sandwich Fight posted:

http://m.imore.com/how-use-archive-and-trash-simultaneously-ios-8-mail-app
You can get swipe to Archive and Delete in mail.app. Once I got it set up I love it with the force touch features

Is there an option to show all conversations unarchived in the badge? Also, lack of push support for gmail. :(

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

tuyop posted:

Also, lack of push support for gmail. :(

There is with Outlook. :smugdog:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

dik-dik posted:

How do you do this for a gmail account?

Never mind I think I've worked it out happy Christmas everyone

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 25, 2015

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
FFS the Netflix app on the iPad is driving me crazy. It's says it is installing, but stops at about 60 percent. The app can't be deleted nor downloaded/installed again from scratch. Do I really need to reset the iPad or something to get rid of that little bastard?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

The Verge has an article for "must-have" apps for all your new devices or whatever. Workflow was mentioned, and I've seen it featured in the App Store. Why? Does anyone use this (or IFTTT)? I can't imagine it being THAT much of a help over maybe having to open two apps or tapping a few times within one app.

The worst thing about it is that there are literally no good examples of why anyone would spend 4 bucks on this app. "Calculate a tip" and "Walking directions to the nearest coffee shop" are not things I need another app to help me do. I have Calculator and Google Maps, thanks.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

ShoogaSlim posted:

The Verge has an article for "must-have" apps for all your new devices or whatever. Workflow was mentioned, and I've seen it featured in the App Store. Why? Does anyone use this (or IFTTT)? I can't imagine it being THAT much of a help over maybe having to open two apps or tapping a few times within one app.

The worst thing about it is that there are literally no good examples of why anyone would spend 4 bucks on this app. "Calculate a tip" and "Walking directions to the nearest coffee shop" are not things I need another app to help me do. I have Calculator and Google Maps, thanks.

I know that MacStories has been all over Workflow, as have a few other indie bloggers. I tried using it, couldn't fit it into my workflow— ironic— and moved on with my life.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

Basically, people are loving crazy and want to feel like supernerds by spending hours upon hours automating all kinds of menial poo poo in order to save .2 seconds every 2 weeks when they calculate a tip or export some obscure image directly to their Wordpress install.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I met the kid who made workflow when he was still polishing it before launch and he told me the price and I immediately thought, "o wow no one is going to buy that" and it became a tech blog darling.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I actually use it for one particular thing (which may not work anymore now that I think of it) but basically the VSCO cam app is crap and doesn't have a direct "open photo in app" function. I was able to create a workflow action extension that let me directly open camera roll photos in VSCO.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Apps I'm super happy today, the only time of year I have times to redo how I do my every day thing:

Inbox by Gmail for iOS and Boxy for OSX

Goddammit I don't want the algorithms to take over, but these are scary good at helping me parse through my three primary e-mails and putting the most important things up top. I already have my addresses as my casual@gmail.com, professional@myfullname.com, and me@mycompany.com, all are Google App'd, so changing hats to match the mood of what I'm ready to deal with is two presses/clicks, max. My go-to way to deal with e-mail now.

Safari

I switched from Chrome this year because of how loving slow and inefficient its become with graphics, JavaScript, and memory. Safari is kicking all kinds of rear end. You have no excuse to not switch if OSX is your desktop/laptop and iOS is your mobile. You will live a less lovely life.

Purify

Adblocking for Safari. Pay $1.99 to the guy who runs µBlock for Safari on OSX.

Tweetbot

Great iOS app. Great OSX app. If you don't use Twitter, look up your favorite authors, musicians, scientists, and non-profit organizations, put them in some coherent topical lists, and get inspired to learn more about poo poo you dig in the world. Tweetbot is slick as gently caress.

Skyguide

If you meet someone into astronomy, buy them dinner and invite them out to some outdoor hotsprings or spa poo poo at night and learn the goddamn stories about why the constellations are the way they are. Next to that, you will use this app and learn all sorts of disconnected things about individual celestial bodies. But really, astronomy people are the best at night.

Also, Google Maps, Evernote, TuneIn Radio, Paper instead of Facebook.

Merry Christmas y'all.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Wife got me an iPad Air 2 to replace my 3rd gen iPad. This thing is amazing but I'm definitely disappointed in the lack of multitasking support in major apps. And picture in picture support is thinner than I'd like. Other than that it's great.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Workflow seems awesome on paper but I guess I'm not the intended power-user. The one useful thing I could come up with is a workflow that automatically adds calendar events when I homebrew, depending on how long I want to ferment the particular beer/when I need to bottle it/when it's drinkable. Super niche, and probably not worth the cost of the app, but there is a lot of potential.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Millions posted:

Workflow seems awesome on paper but I guess I'm not the intended power-user. The one useful thing I could come up with is a workflow that automatically adds calendar events when I homebrew, depending on how long I want to ferment the particular beer/when I need to bottle it/when it's drinkable. Super niche, and probably not worth the cost of the app, but there is a lot of potential.

I made a thing on workflow that takes any reminder in the default reminders app and pushes it to my todoist inbox. this way I can add a todoist item via siri, which for some reason you can't configure siri to do automatically.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Workflow owns for:

1. Sending my wife random gifs using Giphy in a very easy way, to make her smile.

2. One-touch audio memos from my Apple Watch, uploaded automatically to Dropbox (or wherever).

3. Converting live photos to gifs to share with Android folks.

4. Converting slow motion videos to regular videos.

5. Saving nzb and torrent files directly to a specific Dropbox folder, which then synchronize and start downloading automatically since they’re saved into a watched folder.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bobfather posted:

5. Saving nzb and torrent files directly to a specific Dropbox folder, which then synchronize and start downloading automatically since they’re saved into a watched folder.

Yo can you post this!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I really like workflow I just lack the creativity to come up with things that need workflow-ing. I would love to see more recipes people made though.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yo can you post this!

It’s just the standard “Save to Dropbox” action with the specific folder you want to save to configured. Then set the same folder as your watched folder in your NZB and torrent programs of choice.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's good to know I'm not the only person who struggles to think of a use for Workflow.

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

What Workflow needs is a better way to find workflows. Here's some sites I found.

http://workflow.directory/

http://www.workflowgallery.co/

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Millions posted:

The one useful thing I could come up with is a workflow that automatically adds calendar events when I homebrew, depending on how long I want to ferment the particular beer/when I need to bottle it/when it's drinkable.

Would you mind posting your recipe for this? I have been looking for a similar solution for home brewing, and I'd also like to take a stab at adapting the idea to single day baking schedule.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Mikey Purp posted:

Would you mind posting your recipe for this? I have been looking for a similar solution for home brewing, and I'd also like to take a stab at adapting the idea to single day baking schedule.

I'd love to, unfortunately I just checked the app and apparently I didn't back the recipe up when I jumped to my 6S. If I can track it down on my old phone I'll definitely post it, though!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Xabi posted:

FFS the Netflix app on the iPad is driving me crazy. It's says it is installing, but stops at about 60 percent. The app can't be deleted nor downloaded/installed again from scratch. Do I really need to reset the iPad or something to get rid of that little bastard?
No one knows? :(

'tis driving me crazy.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Have you restarted? That's fixed this kind of thing for me before.

E: VVVVVVVVV Don't be such a dick.

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 26, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i'm gonna laugh right in your face if you haven't tried restarting yet

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's the deal with text expander. Is it just like the built in replace text thing in iOS?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

beefnoodle posted:

Have you restarted? That's fixed this kind of thing for me before.
Did not know that the old Windows 95 trick still worked. Thank you!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Bugs that can be fixed by a power cycle have existed and will exist in every device that runs software for all eternity. It should be the first thing you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That particular bug seems to be way more prevalent in iPads.