Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

triggered

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Uuuuggghrrhrghrh :ughh:

I never understood how people who ride could keep misunderstanding this, until I got the heavy bastard I've got now. On smaller bikes (but still heavier than a bicycle) you can give the inside bar a shove and then feel the wheel track in to the turn.

On a heavier bike, the wheel still tracks in, but you have to maintain a lot more pressure to stop it going in too far and standing the bike up. I guess to someone who didn't really get what was going on, that would feel like they're pushing right (steering the wheel left) to go right, and then holding it there throughout the turn.

I say "guess", I've met riders irl who think that's what they're doing.

BlackMK4 posted:

holy gently caress here we go

I'm sorry but this is my first time and I couldn't resist. Next time I'll just roll my eyes and post Twist of The Wrist 2, I promise.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
:munch:

Guys guys guys. do it on one wheel.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why is countersteering a contentious thing again? I thought basically everyone here knows how to turn a bike?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

WOOHOO MY FAVORITE TOPIC

Tactical Lesbian posted:

This phenomenon is present on bicycles as well but you rarely would be going fast enough to notice it, especially combined with the low mass.

Jogging speed is fast enough to notice it on a bicycle. Basically any speed that will require a lean to corner.

Slavvy posted:

Why is countersteering a contentious thing again? I thought basically everyone here knows how to turn a bike?

Everybody knows but nobody agrees.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Shimrod you better listen up, I know you have no idea

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 23, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

After that, fuses would be first step, then go over the last work methodically - take out or bypass the components you installed one by one and see what happens.

Ignition fuse was blown. I tried to do a quick visual check this morning without taking them out and didn't see it, but even if I had all I've got spare is a 30A. Even if I'd had a pocketful of 10A fuses I'm not sure I'd have tried to ride off on one without having time to diagnose exactly why it blew.

I'll pick up a bunch of spares tomorrow if I can, and start going over possible causes. My first suspicion is that I might have temporarily shorted a live and ground wire on the back of the instrument cluster (because when I say "might have" I mean I definitely did that but I'm not sure if that would cause the ignition circuit to surge :downsgun:)

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

I steer on the highway with my fat rear end & aerodynamic drag, no handlebars, works for me hth

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Uuuuggghrrhrghrh :ughh:

I never understood how people who ride could keep misunderstanding this, until I got the heavy bastard I've got now. On smaller bikes (but still heavier than a bicycle) you can give the inside bar a shove and then feel the wheel track in to the turn.

On a heavier bike, the wheel still tracks in, but you have to maintain a lot more pressure to stop it going in too far and standing the bike up. I guess to someone who didn't really get what was going on, that would feel like they're pushing right (steering the wheel left) to go right, and then holding it there throughout the turn.

I say "guess", I've met riders irl who think that's what they're doing.

You can turn any motorbike (or bicycle) without ever touching the bars, and that is literally all I'm going to say on the matter.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Tactical Lesbian posted:

AMSOIL

Poorly worded -- you'll always lean to turn but when you're at higher speeds (above like 15mph) you'll actually turn the front wheel to the opposite direction of your desired turn. "Push left go left. Pull right go left" etc.

This phenomenon is present on bicycles as well but you rarely would be going fast enough to notice it, especially combined with the low mass.

Resultant of this vv would be a right lean/turn. Thanks inertia!

countersteering 101 brought to you by: a massive human being

I feel the need to point out that that literally leans the bike into the corner. Which is why I left the question there.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You can turn any motorbike (or bicycle) without ever touching the bars, and that is literally all I'm going to say on the matter.

I love that this is true and anyone could prove it to themselves if they went out and did it, but people still argue it can't be done.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I mean it can, but barely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_5Z3jyO2pA

Go to 2:12, it won't let me timelink for some reason

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Replaced my battery ~2 months ago, been having issues holding a charge. I got http://www.autozone.com/miscellaneo.../?checkfit=true which came "pre-charged" but I guess the cooler temps + my short commute killed this one? It's still under warrenty so I'm going to return it and get the non-premium version I've used in the past that didn't give me any of these drat issues.

Spend less, get a better battery I guess; only downside is I have to buy it, fill it with acid, then take it back in for them to charge then come back later to pick it up but whatever if it actually works.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Please of the love of god everyone start talking about batteries again.

edit: Thank you Gillingham.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If you ask they'll probably fill it for you and let you come pick it up rather than shipping it.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

If you ask they'll probably fill it for you and let you come pick it up rather than shipping it.

Oh I've never bother getting it shipped, I just get this from autozone. It's some company policy regarding the acid fill apparently, I just walk out the door, open up the box and fill it, and walk right back in to get it charged. That or they want to upsell you on the shittier "premium" version I got this time.

Is there a better place online? Whenever I run into these issue it's basically be without a vehicle so half the time I ride my bicycle over to autozone to do the swap unless I want to ask the girlfriend for a ride.

Gillingham fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 23, 2015

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Shimrod posted:

Huh? How else are you turning if you're not leaning the motorcycle into the corner?

Poorly worded. Mountainbikes you want to get the bike leaned over as far as possible to get the outside bunks on the tyre to grip (so your weight is on the outside of the bike), basically pushing it towards horizontal. On a motorcycle you want to keep the bike upright in turns (and lean over the bike into the turn) to keep more traction and clearance. You still want to lean, but the reasons for doing it are different.

I'm sorry I restarted the stupid counter-steering poo poo -_- , it works on bikes just like it does on motorcycles.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Barnsy posted:

Poorly worded. Mountainbikes you want to get the bike leaned over as far as possible to get the outside bunks on the tyre to grip (so your weight is on the outside of the bike), basically pushing it towards horizontal. On a motorcycle you want to keep the bike upright in turns (and lean over the bike into the turn) to keep more traction and clearance. You still want to lean, but the reasons for doing it are different.

I'm sorry I restarted the stupid counter-steering poo poo -_- , it works on bikes just like it does on motorcycles.

Makes more sense when you word it like that.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Best hands-free leanin

https://youtu.be/vCMzdg6nwwY?t=1m24s

caution: bad music

Granted at speed it's harder to initiate lean. E: nevermind

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 23, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Barnsy posted:

I got what you meant before the explanation and counter steering poo poo at least

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Shimrod posted:

I love that this is true and anyone could prove it to themselves if they went out and did it, but people still argue it can't be done.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I steer on the highway with my fat rear end & aerodynamic drag, no handlebars, works for me hth

:colbert:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

KARMA! posted:

Please of the love of god everyone start talking about batteries again.
I WANT TO ARGUE ABOUT COUNTERSTEERING

AncientTV posted:

I mean it can, but barely.
The spergnards (from reddit, surely, as that is the source of all spergnards (as distinct from sperglords, a higher form, who come from wikipedia)) of course think that if it's possible at all then it refutes the argument in favor of countersteering. Anyone with cruise control or a throttle lock, however, will notice that the weight-shifting form of steering has such minimal effect on steering as to be nearly useless. It only works in a useful way at high speed on high speed roads where all the turns are very wide. Checkmate, spergnards.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The spergnards (from reddit, surely, as that is the source of all spergnards (as distinct from sperglords, a higher form, who come from wikipedia)) of course think that if it's possible at all then it refutes the argument in favor of countersteering. Anyone with cruise control or a throttle lock, however, will notice that the weight-shifting form of steering has such minimal effect on steering as to be nearly useless. It only works in a useful way at high speed on high speed roads where all the turns are very wide. Checkmate, spergnards.

:agreed:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's also helpful when your bike constantly pulls to one side because you didn't double check your chain tensioning but you want to roll down the hill with no hands anyway.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Wasn't directed at you, was more of a general observation.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

And off-road. But that's entirely different than what's being discussed, I think. I just wanted to help muddy the waters by bringing it up.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Counter steering doesn't work if you only get up to pussy cruising speeds.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I mentioned in the tell me what bike to buy thread that I was looking at some Zero motorcycles--probably the plain old S, the smaller battery version 'cos that's all the range I need for daily commute/the odd drive 'round town (and I'm a cheapass :v:). Problem I remembered, though, that LiIon batteries apparently lose capacity faster in response to heat, and I live in Las Vegas, where 110 Fahrenheit is a pretty normal summer temperature. Is heat degradation a severe enough problem that I should steer clear as long as I live here? Would a sheet cover or something be enough to ameliorate that?

(edit) Another unrelated question I just thought of. If I do get the thing and (knock on wood) ever have to lay it down, is the thing more, or less, likely to be nonfunctional after the fall/require really expensive repairs?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 24, 2015

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Ciaphas posted:

(edit) Another unrelated question I just thought of. If I do get the thing and (knock on wood) ever have to lay it down, is the thing more, or less, likely to be nonfunctional after the fall/require really expensive repairs?

If you have to Layer Dan an electric bike, it will probably short out and destroy the battery once a metal part of the bike makes contact with the road and grounds the electrical system while it's running :smith:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Surely a fuse would stop it from fully discharging in the event of a short like that?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It only works in a useful way at high speed on high speed roads where all the turns are very wide.

Yes, even marginally so. You cannot practically, or certainly safely, control a bike with weight shift alone but can have a direct influence on its path, which is a counter to the common argument of "you cannot steer with weight shift alone".

It's a bit like "you cannot take your penis out at the Christmas dinner table". Of course you can, it's physically possible, just not advisable or productive.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Yes, even marginally so. You cannot practically, or certainly safely, control a bike with weight shift alone but can have a direct influence on its path, which is a counter to the common argument of "you cannot steer with weight shift alone".

It's a bit like "you cannot take your penis out at the Christmas dinner table". Of course you can, it's physically possible, just not advisable or productive.

Yeah, but there are people that will viciously argue that because Keith Code said "You can't take your penis out at the Christmas table" that your penis literally disappears as the Turkey is carved and regrows once the Queen's Speech starts in some bizarre reverse-transubstantiation of the genitals.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Using BP/weight shifting to steer is still forcing the tire to turn left/fall in right and vice versa, just through indirect input rather than directly through the bars. It is still counter steering / using the same mechanisms / w/e, just not in the direct and obvious way.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

EX250 Type R posted:

Using BP/weight shifting to steer is still forcing the tire to turn left/fall in right and vice versa, just through indirect input rather than directly through the bars. It is still counter steering / using the same mechanisms / w/e, just not in the direct and obvious way.

Yes, exactly. See forum, we CAN talk about this! *runs into the street like Scrooge* We CAN! We CAN! Merry Christmas!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
My battery still works guys. How are yours?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Got caught in a huge thunderstorm at like 2am this morning riding home. It was warm tho. Riding in warm rain is... kinda nice? I just need little wiper blades for my helmet.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

KARMA! posted:

Working great, recently replaced. :woop:

I have no idea how I was able to push a V-Strom 1000 up a hill, but god that sucked.

A MIRACLE posted:

Got caught in a huge thunderstorm at like 2am this morning riding home. It was warm tho. Riding in warm rain is... kinda nice? I just need little wiper blades for my helmet.

Hell yeah, it's great!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

KARMA! posted:

many year old yuasa still ticking :D

tag, frame, and battery. 3 things I've yet to replace.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I just recently plugged mine into the trickle charger... winter and all. Light turned green a few hours later. Nothing else really to report.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

A MIRACLE posted:

Turn your head, wind takes care of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KARMA! posted:

I have a problem with mine. The electrons seem to be flowing from minus to plus, shouldn't they flow from plus to minus?