Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Can you have more than 3000 TP at any point?

Are tension and TP the same thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
If you're looking to increase max TP, look for armors and augments that say "Max TP Up" or "Max TP Boost" - one is a flat amount, one is a percentile boost.

Tension and TP both refer to the same thing, yes.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

greatn posted:

Can you have more than 3000 TP at any point?

Are tension and TP the same thing?

Yes (with equipment bonuses and certain passive skills) and yes.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I found a yellow Rust katana with Arts Regain HP XVI and coupled this with three Arts regain TP XX

I solod the level 92 Milesaur with no skell.

Also for people who can't beat the Chimera that drops the rust katana, start the fight and then tell your party to return to their skells, the monster follows them and gets stuck and is therefore unable to fight back.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Saigyouji posted:

Yes (with equipment bonuses and certain passive skills) and yes.

What class do I need to grind for that skill? I've gone down the shield trooper path and almost maxed out whatever the class after that is called, and honestly I kinda hate it, I wish I had picked something else.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

greatn posted:

What class do I need to grind for that skill? I've gone down the shield trooper path and almost maxed out whatever the class after that is called, and honestly I kinda hate it, I wish I had picked something else.

enforcer and blast fencer both get skills to increase tp. maybe others too, i dunno.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What does Reflect: Ether do, and how is it different than Negate: Reflect Ether? The wording on the former is confusing.

edit: WORDS ARE HARD

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 24, 2015

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Also for people who can't beat the Chimera that drops the rust katana, start the fight and then tell your party to return to their skells, the monster follows them and gets stuck and is therefore unable to fight back.

Tried this, he hosed around in the corner mostly and occasionally turned around to beat my rear end, didn't go well since I couldn't even hit the son of a bitch despite all my augments with + accuracy.

I just need to get better augments or something before trying this I guess.

Also does anyone know why the gently caress Irina has such low base HP / is awful?
She is entirely goddamn unusable because she dies immediately in every confrontation.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zombie Defiler posted:

Also does anyone know why the gently caress Irina has such low base HP / is awful?
She is entirely goddamn unusable because she dies immediately in every confrontation.

She's the closest to a designated healer in the game. Also you can just put her in Sakuraba gear for the bonus HP or CC for higher base defense, though she'll get wrecked by beams in that.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Zombie Defiler posted:

Tried this, he hosed around in the corner mostly and occasionally turned around to beat my rear end, didn't go well since I couldn't even hit the son of a bitch despite all my augments with + accuracy.

I just need to get better augments or something before trying this I guess.

If you're using LS/DG, the easiest way I found to killing him is to just go all out immediately. Start off with a ghostwalker, then offensive stance, overdrive, primer, tornado, true stream, rising blade, and blossom dance. He should die before he gets a chance to buff himself.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
If you want to hear Lin's voice actress talk about auditioning and try to delicately say that the "controversy" over her character's costume changes aren't really important as redditors proclaim, I have a video for you.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Crabtree posted:

If you want to hear Lin's voice actress talk about auditioning and try to delicately say that the "controversy" over her character's costume changes aren't really important as redditors proclaim, I have a video for you.

Did anyone actually care about the changes to Lin? I thought the uproar was all about a player character customization option being removed.

MohShuvuu posted:

If you're using LS/DG, the easiest way I found to killing him is to just go all out immediately. Start off with a ghostwalker, then offensive stance, overdrive, primer, tornado, true stream, rising blade, and blossom dance. He should die before he gets a chance to buff himself.

Well, poo poo, this actually worked. Thanks.
I had no idea my overdrive was so stronk even with only 200~ potential, I never really mess with it since I'm mostly just riding in skells or killing easy ground things that die to tornado.

I still don't really grasp the infinite overdrive stuff though. I'm supposed to cycle red and green or something to hit max then keep cycling in greens and blues?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Zombie Defiler posted:

Did anyone actually care about the changes to Lin?

i think you would be surprised at the number of people willing to die on the hill of a 13 year old girl in a bikini.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I thought the controversy with Lin was including her in the game.

Inflammatory posted:

i think you would be surprised at the number of people willing to die on the hill of a 13 year old girl in a bikini.

More like die on the pancake

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm more opposed to censorship in any and all forms, period. While I get they did what they did, I'm more salty that they did a pretty poor job on the re-texture work itself, rather than the actual censorship.

And honestly, I don't like using Lin anyways so it ends up not mattering because I never use her unless I have to.

Zombie Defiler posted:

I still don't really grasp the infinite overdrive stuff though. I'm supposed to cycle red and green or something to hit max then keep cycling in greens and blues?

Yeah, I got a build that can basically do infinite overdrive, but I keep running out of time for the overdrive. So far the tradeoff is that when overdrive ends, I have enough TP again that I can immediately go into overdrive again.

ImpAtom posted:

You know you can reactivate Overdrive when you're in overdrive, right? If you have enough TP to reactivate it than just reactivate it again before it runs out.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 24, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah, I got a build that can basically do infinite overdrive, but I keep running out of time for the overdrive. So far the tradeoff is that when overdrive ends, I have enough TP again that I can immediately go into overdrive again.

You know you can reactivate Overdrive when you're in overdrive, right? If you have enough TP to reactivate it than just reactivate it again before it runs out.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Farming Lugalbanda is kind of a pain compared to other bosses you can just park a skell at.
Go regain TP, swim through the stupid tunnel again, hope he drops a katana that doesn't have garbage mods like thermal / physical resist down, repeat.

I probably just need TP arts augments to speed this along.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm more opposed to censorship in any and all forms, period.

I find that when people take this absolutist approach, they tend to end up decrying the following things as "censorship":
-A creator editing a work between its first and final drafts
-A creator presenting different versions of a work to different audiences
-A creator being persuaded that a change would be a good idea
-A store choosing not to sell a product it doesn't wish to support
-A critic saying that something about a creative work is bad
-A translation not being close enough to the original on a literal level
-Any case of a sexual thing becoming less sexual, even if the change is entirely voluntary

The fact is, the game that Nintendo wanted to sell to Americans and Europeans is one that doesn't have bikini teens in it. Nobody got censored.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Supercar Gautier posted:

I find that when people take this absolutist approach, they tend to end up decrying the following things as "censorship":
-A creator editing a work between its first and final drafts
-A creator presenting different versions of a work to different audiences
-A creator being persuaded that a change would be a good idea
-A store choosing not to sell a product it doesn't wish to support
-A critic saying that something about a creative work is bad
-A translation not being close enough to the original on a literal level
-Any case of a sexual thing becoming less sexual, even if the change is entirely voluntary

The fact is, the game that Nintendo wanted to sell to Americans and Europeans is one that doesn't have bikini teens in it. Nobody got censored.

Is there any indication that NoA/E forced the devs to change the bikini anyway

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Don't forget boob sliders

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Crabtree posted:

Not sure what makes a voiceactor for a game the authority on controversies surrounding said game, but I'm pretty sure she actually read the reviews for Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii.
Also the game has aliens fall from buildings in front of your feet and people getting shot in the head on camera, I really don't think kids couldn't take a boob slider.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
The kids love scouting my bunnybod butt. They don't seem to appreciate the intergluteal cleft of the bunny bikini though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

First they came for our Boob Sliders, and

So anyways, I did some basic armchair testing, and apparently it takes about 1-2? hours of just doing the Water Torture quest to max the affinity of all your characters.

Moreso if you're wanting to max out your BP for Cross, as your party members will be left with way more BP than they can use

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

horriblePencilist posted:

Not sure what makes a voiceactor for a game the authority on controversies surrounding said game, but I'm pretty sure she actually read the reviews for Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii.
Also the game has aliens fall from buildings in front of your feet and people getting shot in the head on camera, I really don't think kids couldn't take a boob slider.

You want change, change America. A cig is an automatic R rating for movies.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

that's it. that's what you're missing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What does Reflect: Ether do, and how is it different than Negate: Reflect Ether? The wording on the former is confusing.

edit: WORDS ARE HARD

This isn't really that hard. There is a status condition called Reflect X, where X is any given element, including physical. For enemies, this is can be both a passive always-on effect or an aura or effect they can use (see Telethia Plume). This effect makes them both completely immune to said element and cause them to reflect it back at you. Most people find out about the existence of this by splatting themselves on Telethia or Gor-Ha. Negate Reflect augments let you bypass this resistance (anything less than XX is pointless, XX is still super cheap and gives you 100% bypass chance).

Now, for Reflect augments for player use, these are a bit trickier to figure out. Basically, three arts in the game give you a reflect effect by default (Supershield, Astrolibrium and Raijin reflect physical, beam and electric damage, respectively). Now, on their own, these reflections are useful but not amazing since enemies can do multiple elements nearly all the time. Enter the Reflect augments/traits. Each of those you slot in add another element that can be reflected by your aura, eventually leading to the possibility of you being immune to damage in it by getting all 6 elements on you.

Supposedly there are enemies that have negate reflect too, but I haven't found any thus far.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

that's it. that's what you're missing.

Freedom has died.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I've been trying to figure out what this guy's build is so I can finish up the last 10% of the game, does anyone know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFIXiqyZRog

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Any tips for someone just starting this who hasnt played a JRPG since Chrono Trigger? Im enjoying it a lot but combat is overwhelming - theres a lot to look at and im not sure what i should be focusing on.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ghostinmyshell posted:

I've been trying to figure out what this guy's build is so I can finish up the last 10% of the game, does anyone know?

Literally another video on his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob8-hjBk6TU

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

ghostinmyshell posted:

Kouli uses a shitton of Physical attribute damage up mods on all his skell weapons and a bucket of augments for ultrafauna slayer XX (probably swaps them out for other enemy types)
All of which requires a lot of grinding, especially the skell parts since they need physical up.
His Mastema whitereaper is loaded up with a Amdusias Hade's armor for the Phys up on it, so you'll need to make both mechs to get that 60 armor.

The hyper railgun/ Zenith Cannon ignores resistances, so it punches through pretty much anything.
He uses deus crushers to put a dent in telethia before smashing it with the railgun because otherwise he would have done ~80-90% it's health and sent it into it's "Under 60% HP gently caress you i'm invincible for like ten minutes" bullshit mode.

I still haven't figured out what the hell he was grinding to get Katars and all that other poo poo.

e: Oh, I just solo'd that level 90 millesaur on foot, I'm not even stacking potential yet, jeez. I never really screwed with overdrive much but I guess the power was inside me all along. :v:
e2: Although I'm finding some poo poo can hit me right through ghostwalker? Kinda bullshit.

Zombie Defiler fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 24, 2015

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

alf_pogs posted:

Any tips for someone just starting this who hasnt played a JRPG since Chrono Trigger? Im enjoying it a lot but combat is overwhelming - theres a lot to look at and im not sure what i should be focusing on.

Start by focussing on placement, switching between weapons and Arts management. You can't really dodge attacks by walking to the side, but there are Arts that have special effects when attacking from the side or back, so make sure you're standing where you need to be when you use Backslash or Sliding Stinger. As for your Arts, each Art is tied to either your melee or ranged weapon, and depending on which one you have out, their respective Arts will recharge faster, as well as load their secondary cooldown. Make sure you have the right weapon out to get your Arts quicker. Since your auto-attack cooldown is separate between each weapon, you can also attack with your ranged weapon, switch to your melee, and then go back to ranged to increase your DPS. Lastly, every time a teammate fulfills a certain criteria (broke off an appendage, 3 crits in a row, etc), there's a chance they'll cast a soul voice, asking for an Art of a specific kind (melee, ranged, buff, debuff or aura, the color tells you which one). If you use the right Art at that moment, you'll get bonus properties to your attack, like damage up, inflict debuff or even invulnerability.

Basically, combat looks something like this: Auto-attack to build secondary cooldown -> Throw out an Art or two -> Wait for Soul Voice -> Go for Soul Voice -> Repeat

The combat gets more complex when you add appendage targeting, Arts combos and - after Chapter 5 - Overdrive, but it's not absolutely necessary to win. You'll figure it out as you go along.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Thanks! I didn't see it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zombie Defiler posted:

Did anyone actually care about the changes to Lin? I thought the uproar was all about a player character customization option being removed.

People whined about this on the grounds that Nintendo was being hurtfully exclusionary by enforcing one "ideal standard of beauty" for bust size which is true I guess (not really who cares) but then why aren't they also whining about the lack of weight sliders

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Trying to equate paintings, plays, movies and novels which were censored by financiers and authorities with video games using little girl tiddies outfits to sell to sad otaku is a huge waste of energy and only scores points with the worst people, hth

Looper posted:

People whined about this on the grounds that Nintendo was being hurtfully exclusionary by enforcing one "ideal standard of beauty" for bust size which is true I guess (not really who cares) but then why aren't they also whining about the lack of weight sliders

Lack of weight sliders actually bugged me but it took exactly 15 seconds for me to let go and move on. Pick your battles, etc

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

bloodychill posted:

Trying to equate paintings, plays, movies and novels which were censored by financiers and authorities with video games using little girl tiddies outfits to sell to sad otaku is a huge waste of energy and only scores points with the worst people, hth

Lack of weight sliders actually bugged me but it took exactly 15 seconds for me to let go and move on. Pick your battles, etc

Chapter 5 explains it all.

Is there a trick to getting full affinity with L? He's been stuck at 4.999 hearts forever now and not even Support Missions do anything.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

horriblePencilist posted:

Chapter 5 explains it all.

Is there a trick to getting full affinity with L? He's been stuck at 4.999 hearts forever now and not even Support Missions do anything.

Have you done his last quest? His achievement popped for me then.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Have you done his last quest? His achievement popped for me then.

The Nopon Heir? Yeah, I did that.

e: Nevermind, I finally got it.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 25, 2015

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I'm sure this has been asked a hundred pages ago, but what endgame materials should I be using squad tickets to pick up, when I'm capped out at lvl 25?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Telethia anything.

Man, I have had this 5 crush rings quest sitting around forever. One of these days I'll actually have to look for them.

• Locked thread