Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Bernie Sanders just wrote a really stupid article about the Fed, probably in a weird attempt to drum up support from the notoriously reliable Ron Paul crowd? I still dislike him the least but now I officially don't like any of the candidates :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yeah that Op Ed was bad. No rate hikes until U3 is under 4%! Fed Boards should include a cross section of America, Teachers, Labourers, Doctors, Farmers!

LOL, no I want actual economists and bankers in charge of the world's reserve currency, thanks.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Stereotype posted:

Bernie Sanders just wrote a really stupid article about the Fed, probably in a weird attempt to drum up support from the notoriously reliable Ron Paul crowd? I still dislike him the least but now I officially don't like any of the candidates :(

No he's been all 'audit the fed' since forever, he's not trying to appeal to anyone, he just generally knows jack poo poo about how the fed works

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

No he's been all 'audit the fed' since forever, he's not trying to appeal to anyone, he just generally knows jack poo poo about how the fed works

I'm pretty sure his audit the Fed nonsense isn't motivated by a Fear of the Jew Bankers like the Paulites at least. This is a damning with faint praise though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rygar201 posted:

I'm pretty sure his audit the Fed nonsense isn't motivated by a Fear of the Jew Bankers like the Paulites at least. This is a damning with faint praise though.

But he did literally cosponsor an audit the fed bill with Ron Paul years back....

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^Same ignorant and bad idea, different paths, basically

Rygar201 posted:

Very true, if I had to pick one I'd rather genuine 'I don't think you 100% get why we have a fed' over 'THE GODDAMN JEWS RUN THE MONEY AND KEEP US DOWN' any day.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
Why is it so bad to audit the federal reserve? I know Janet Yellen said it would "politicize monetary policy," but isn't it already politicized?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

The Fed is already audited. I think the gist of it is that auditing the fed as Congress calls it is a thin guise over giving the people who can't loving handle fiscal policy the keys to monetary policy.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Because they mean "audit the Fed" the same way the US Congress means "this comission will get to the truth about Benghazi".

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

furiouskoala posted:

Why is it so bad to audit the federal reserve? I know Janet Yellen said it would "politicize monetary policy," but isn't it already politicized?

It's hard to speculate about political motivations for rate hikes, but it isn't like Yellen has to worry about re-election

Auditing the Fed would be the most boring thing ever and only the spergiest Paul supporters would give a poo poo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ohgodwhat posted:

The Fed is already audited. I think the gist of it is that auditing the fed as Congress calls it is a thin guise over giving the people who can't loving handle fiscal policy the keys to monetary policy.

It's this. We already 'audit' the fed, this nonsense just means 'we want the fed to feel as if they have to put their political lives on the line when they make choices' which makes as much sense as electing judges.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ohgodwhat posted:

This. These backwards hicks think sovereign monetary policy works like a household budget and they don't know what "reserve currency" means. It'd be like letting a janitor perform surgery.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's in part a mixture of not understanding how the Fed works and mistrust of government. And misdirected distrust of banks.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You should look up what the partial audit Bernie got through Dodd-Frank found before saying the Fed is properly audited.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The Fed was put in a weird position recently with QE and QE2 where they had to, essentially, bail out large financial institutions without any real oversight. But that's really only because the political situation in Washington was so disastrously fanatical about austerity that even with interest rates at zero the dollar was deflating.

Bernie is different from the Pauls, as they seem to just really want a poo poo load of deflation, where as Bernie seemingly wants decreases in government spending to immediately cause deflationary harm to the economy, a thing the Fed delays or prevents.

Attacking an apolitical institution whose sole purpose is to promote monetary stability seems like something only an idiot or a revolutionary would do.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Joementum posted:

I don't think you "get" Scott Walker.

I'm from 'sconsin. I was one of the first surrounding the capital back in 2011. I get him all too well. Guarantee he wears those loving "expanding waist" workpants they sell at Kohl's that hide the fact that they're fuckin' elastic under some interlocking khaki panels.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Guys, enough of the serious political talk, let's get back to making fun of people. Remember those dumbass republicans who wanted to bomb Agrabah? Well, turns out democrats are just as loving stupid...but nice! That's a plus, I guess.

Turns out 44% of dumb motherfuckers polled would accept refugees from Agrabah. Even better, 66% of democrats age 18-34 would accept. 18-34 yr olds (which I'm of), you are some dumb shits!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Pretty sure most of that 66% know that Agrabah is fictional, they're just treating it as a hypothetical.

Like, if I were asked that question, I would say yes.

The reason saying we should bomb Agrabah is dumb is that there's no reason to bomb a fictional country we have no grievances against, but this second poll question presupposes there are refugees. It becomes a question about "would you accept refugees from generic arabic country".

:goonsay:

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 25, 2015

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Guys, enough of the serious political talk, let's get back to making fun of people. Remember those dumbass republicans who wanted to bomb Agrabah? Well, turns out democrats are just as loving stupid...but nice! That's a plus, I guess.

Turns out 44% of dumb motherfuckers polled would accept refugees from Agrabah. Even better, 66% of democrats age 18-34 would accept. 18-34 yr olds (which I'm of), you are some dumb shits!

If I had forgotten that Agrabah was fictional, I probably would have answered yes. A refugee is a refugee; I don't really care where they're from.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Presumably Storybrooke Maine will accept the Agraban refugees.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

If I had forgotten that Agrabah was fictional, I probably would have answered yes. A refugee is a refugee; I don't really care where they're from.

Housing fictional refugees is loving easy, man. I can fit a million in my living room.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

VikingofRock posted:

Exactly the decision to accept refugees is a universal thing where I don't care I'd say yes to any country in order to help someone. But the decision to bomb them is a desire to kill people despite not knowing a single thing about them beyond "this country sounds islamic" there is a wide difference there.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

VikingofRock posted:

Yeah, at the very least I would say it's much less funny/stupid to reflexively say "I want to help these refugees" without putting any thought into where they're from over "I want to bomb this city/nation" without putting any thought where that place is/what they did to deserve bombing :shrug:.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I'm sorry, if you knew that Agrabah was fictional and wanted to express it, which one of the only three choices ("Support","Oppose","Indifferent") would you choose? Would you hang up because that is a stupid question? Asking whether you would accept refugees from Agrabah is really super not a poll of if you know whether or not it is a real place.

On the other hand, if you say you would bomb a fictional place that doesn't exist, it sort of begs the question of if you actually have a lower limit of who you would bomb and maybe are actually quite keen on bombing literally anyone arabic sounding, which is also interesting to know.

The results of that poll aren't "People are dumb and don't know geography", the results are "most Democrats think all refugees are people regardless of location, and most Republicans want to murder every single arabic sounding or looking person, because they aren't people."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the issue isn't 'these retards think Agrabah is real', that's not what the point of the question even is. The point is 'we're going to name a country you 100% don't know exists, there's no way you genuinely think this place is a country already but it sounds Arab and you're going to be thinking 'wait what' and form a knee jerk answer, would you bomb them? Would you accept their refugees?' It's a question about if your instincts about a vague Arab sounding nation are 'enemy that must be bombed' or not, or in this case if your instincts about that same nation needing help with refugees are 'gently caress you stay out' or not.

PPP does not care if you think Aladdin was a historical legend, they care what amount of people in the parties knee jerk to "BOMB THE MUSLIMS" and what amount believe a refugee inherently is deserving of aid or not.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I'm shocked, utterly shocked that USPol goons would defend the stupidity they agree with.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Somehow I keep forgetting that Scott Walker is the sitting governor of a state.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Sounds like some is salty

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I strongly oppose bombing Narnia.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

I'm shocked, utterly shocked that USPol goons would defend the stupidity they agree with.

I'm interested why you think "Be nice to everyone" is equivalent stupidity to "Everyone arabic deserves to be bombed"

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

SedanChair posted:

The utopia of Oz is only possible because of the stinging sands of the Deadly Desert, build the Border Wall and bring back the gold standard :science:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PPP does those questions for the media buzz and as others have pointed out, "wrf that country isn't real" isn't an option given.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I mean, the question is kind of bad in that there's no real option for "hey, that's from Aladdin!" which has to throw off some results, but still. "I don't know where this place is, but I'm in favor of bombing it" is a problem in a way that "I don't know where this place is, but I'm in favor of taking refugees from there" isn't. Christ.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Combed Thunderclap posted:

The utopia of Oz is only possible because of the stinging sands of the Deadly Desert, build the Border Wall and bring back the gold standard :science:

Gold and Silver!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ravenfood posted:

I mean, the question is kind of bad in that there's no real option for "hey, that's from Aladdin!" which has to throw off some results, but still. "I don't know where this place is, but I'm in favor of bombing it" is a problem in a way that "I don't know where this place is, but I'm in favor of taking refugees from there" isn't. Christ.

Yea a more valid form of that question would include an amount of people who said 'man that's from fuckin Aladdin I don't wanna mess with Jafar'

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SedanChair posted:

I disagree. I'm pro war on Christmas

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

SedanChair posted:

they are all hiding in the closet and the gays must be expunged

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Joementum posted:

Actually, the difference in living standards between now and other points in American history is even more pronounced for racial minorities.

What do you mean? Compared to now and 1960, the unemployment rate actually increased for blacks. Poverty shrunk by 10%, but still hovers around 33%, housing rates, household savings, income, insurance levels, and healthcare metrics have improved slightly (but not in relation to whites), but have either stagnated or even shrunk in the past decad3.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Stereotype posted:

The Fed was put in a weird position recently with QE and QE2 where they had to, essentially, bail out large financial institutions without any real oversight. But that's really only because the political situation...Attacking an apolitical institution whose sole purpose is to promote monetary stability seems like something only an idiot or a revolutionary would do.
Except it isn't apolitical, its well known to have been subject to political influence in the recent and distant past by Presidents at a minimum, and promoting monetary stability is only part of what its supposed to do, it failed pretty badly on the regulatory side of things during the bubble. Quite frankly your continued white knighting of the bullshit that was going down during the bailouts is particularly repugnant. Yes a bailout of some sort was probably necessary but it didn't have to go down the way it did at all.

The political situation had nothing to do with how they were throwing money at privileged insiders and rich friends for no drat good reason at all.

The Paul-ites are idiots and Sander's ideas to fix the Fed probably won't work but that doesn't mean that there isn't a thing wrong with how the Fed is currently ran or who is running it now or in the past or that some sort of detailed public audit process is a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Except it isn't apolitical, its well known to have been subject to political influence in the recent and distant past by Presidents at a minimum, and promoting monetary stability is only part of what its supposed to do, it failed pretty badly on the regulatory side of things during the bubble. Quite frankly your continued white knighting of the bullshit that was going down during the bailouts is particularly repugnant. Yes a bailout of some sort was probably necessary but it didn't have to go down the way it did at all.

The political situation had nothing to do with how they were throwing money at privileged insiders and rich friends for no drat good reason at all.

The Paul-ites are idiots and Sander's ideas to fix the Fed probably won't work but that doesn't mean that there isn't a thing wrong with how the Fed is currently ran or who is running it now or in the past or that some sort of detailed public audit process is a bad idea.

The problem with a detailed public audit is that complex financial instruments are being exposed to the scrutiny of loving idiots with power. I trust the fed, even assuming the worst of what you say, over the possibility of the fuckers of the tortilla coast shattering the bedrock of the global financial system because they are too dim to figure out how sovereign finance works on a basic level.

• Locked thread