Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

SirPhoebos posted:

You guys realize that Star Wars is the spiritual successor to Flash "being a Polo Jockey/Jets QB lets me do anything" Gordon?

Mary Sue-ness is loving par for the course.

Also the 80s Flash Gordon had one of the best theme songs. Not that this relates but god drat i love queen and that song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Chomp8645 posted:

I love how like clockwork every few pages someone bursts into the thread "UM ACTUALLY DID YOU KNOW STAR WARS WAS BASED DIRECTLY ON FLASH GORDON AND/OR KUROSAWA??? FURTHERMORE..." as if anyone at all gives a poo poo.

They do, and if you don't your a cretin :colbert:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Nothus Infelix posted:

He was too stupid to realize the Imperials put a tracking device on his ship and let him escape the Death Star.

Is it as dumb as Leia realizing there's a tracking device on the ship and leading them to Yavin anyway?

Young Freud posted:

It was later codified into the Rule of Two. But, yeah, that's something that could actually be laid at the feet of Lucas (and, like I said, they completely abandon it in the second film). It's a bit of dialogue that could have been written much better, like "There's two types of Sith: a master and an apprentice" and just left it at that instead of dealing in absolutes.

I thought the line in TPM very obviously meant that Sith work in pairs. When I found out there were only two in the entire galaxy it was the stupidest thing.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The Dam Busters is pretty much the last half hour of ANH!

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Also the 80s Flash Gordon had one of the best theme songs. Not that this relates but god drat i love queen and that song

It's a really cool song

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I set my watch by it.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Just saw new star wars and it was pretty good. Yeah, the plot was kind of simple, and the characters aren't particularly deep, but there were about 30 literal children in the theater so w/e. Bb-8's thumbs up is probably the best thing star wars related in ever, and han solo getting a chub from shooting the bowcaster was good too.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Jurgan posted:

I thought the line in TPM very obviously meant that Sith work in pairs. When I found out there were only two in the entire galaxy it was the stupidest thing.

Yeah, because it's disregarded by every other Sith afaic. Sith always seemed prepared to totally betray their masters/students to suit their needs. Dooku was training Asajj Ventress in secret until SHEEV (lol) ordered her murdered, and at that point she laid low as a bounty hunter. Vader had a baker's dozen "secret" apprentices in the old EU. I figure old man Sheev for example expects Ani to get a wild hair up his burnt rear end to take on an apprentice, which just gives Sheev another tool to control Vader further. Sure, there's a "rule" but only a wannabe like Rilo Kylie will follow it.

Hey 1997 encyclopedia person, please give us a hilarious entry under "O?"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If you are here to complain about Star Wars movies having unlikely heroes that do amazing things, you're morbidly stupid and shouldn't be taking breaks from humping the furniture to make bad posts.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

bunnyofdoom posted:

In fact, Kubaz chefs are famous throughout the galaxy for injecting insect life froms with growth enzymes and gene-splicing them in a quest for newer and more perfect designer foods.

Yet another example of the first character of a species defining the rest of the species? EU writers are so lazy.

And the kessel run namedrop in the new movie is a mistake

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Gettin' mad about Star Track itt

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

effectual posted:

And the kessel run namedrop in the new movie is a mistake

Why do you think that?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
saw it again. this time with the folks. still great movie. unfortunately i got stuck behind a lovely family with a dad who made a snarky remark at every scene. Including THAT one.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Yeah, because it's disregarded by every other Sith afaic. Sith always seemed prepared to totally betray their masters/students to suit their needs. Dooku was training Asajj Ventress in secret until SHEEV (lol) ordered her murdered, and at that point she laid low as a bounty hunter. Vader had a baker's dozen "secret" apprentices in the old EU. I figure old man Sheev for example expects Ani to get a wild hair up his burnt rear end to take on an apprentice, which just gives Sheev another tool to control Vader further. Sure, there's a "rule" but only a wannabe like Rilo Kylie will follow it.

I'm also getting the idea that Yoda is kind of a dumbass until he goes into exile in Dagobah.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

You don't know how badly I wanted to use Vultan's theme in my Star Wars campaign. :sigh:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

You don't know how badly I wanted to use Vultan's theme in my Star Wars campaign. :sigh:

Star Wars would benefit by including more 80's Flash Gordon content.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

William Bear posted:

Why do you think that?

She already knew a bit else about him, so that specific detail was superfluous in establishing that she's a fan. And if people on backwater planets know about Han's kessel record then he should be a much bigger deal and shouldn't've been stuck in a backwater cantina of a desert planet in the first movie.

And It's either a Lucas-level coincidence that she knows all about Han and lives 100 feet from his ship (like how Indy 3 gave all his traits in 1 day), or it's some link that will be expanded on in the next one. But if that's the case, who is she? Luke, Leia, and Han didn't recognize her, nobody did.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Young Freud posted:

I'm also getting the idea that Yoda is kind of a dumbass until he goes into exile in Dagobah.

I never liked Yoda's inverted speech in the prequels. He's smart enough to figure out English (sorry, Basic), so I figured the only reason he talked that way was because he'd been isolated for decades and gotten senile. Well, that and it made him seem like comic relief, which fooled the audience into thinking he was unimportant.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jurgan posted:

I never liked Yoda's inverted speech in the prequels. He's smart enough to figure out English (sorry, Basic), so I figured the only reason he talked that way was because he'd been isolated for decades and gotten senile. Well, that and it made him seem like comic relief, which fooled the audience into thinking he was unimportant.

in the originals he also did say straight sentences. just not often. in the prequels they took it to a retarded extreme.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Jurgan posted:

Bingo. Yoda was introduced as a wise fool character in Empire. He spent most of his time mocking Luke's understanding of the force and Jedi. Even when we found out he was a master, Luke didn't take what he said seriously until he pulled the X-Wing out of the swamp.

In the prequels he was a revered idiot. Everyone respected what he said, but he was wrong about basically everything. poo poo, Yoda couldn't tell every clone trooper in the galaxy was going to betray them with a single command.

I heard somewhere Yoda's speech was patterned on the way Japanese sentences are constructed, but I have no clue if that's remotely accurate.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Bingo. Yoda was introduced as a wise fool character in Empire. He spent most of his time mocking Luke's understanding of the force and Jedi. Even when we found out he was a master, Luke didn't take what he said seriously until he pulled the X-Wing out of the swamp.

In the prequels he was a revered idiot. Everyone respected what he said, but he was wrong about basically everything. poo poo, Yoda couldn't tell every clone trooper in the galaxy was going to betray them with a single command.

I heard somewhere Yoda's speech was patterned on the way Japanese sentences are constructed, but I have no clue if that's remotely accurate.

Normal Japanese sentence structure is subject, object verb. So instead of "Fear leads to the dark side." It'd be "Fear, dark side leads to." “Powerful you have become, the dark side I sense in you.” would be "You powerful have become, I the dark side in you sense." So Yoda's speech patterns are pretty random.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I thought they were based on Yiddish grammar. Asimov said if you make a character Jewish and have him talk in inverted Yiddish-style sentences, the audience wouldn't catch on to their hidden motives. In the Foundation Trilogy Preem Palver and his wife are basically Jewish stereotypes, and then it turns out he's the head of the Second Foundation.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

effectual posted:

She already knew a bit else about him, so that specific detail was superfluous in establishing that she's a fan. And if people on backwater planets know about Han's kessel record then he should be a much bigger deal and shouldn't've been stuck in a backwater cantina of a desert planet in the first movie.

And It's either a Lucas-level coincidence that she knows all about Han and lives 100 feet from his ship (like how Indy 3 gave all his traits in 1 day), or it's some link that will be expanded on in the next one. But if that's the case, who is she? Luke, Leia, and Han didn't recognize her, nobody did.

I assumed people on backwater planets know things about Han because he was one of the most important figures of the war. And Rey literally lived inside of wreckage from the war.

Nothus Infelix
Jan 1, 2006
Scelesti vulgus superstitiosus ignavusque sunt.

Jurgan posted:

Is it as dumb as Leia realizing there's a tracking device on the ship and leading them to Yavin anyway?
Well, they had to go somewhere and dump Artoo's memory. Yavin was as good a destination as any. It had X-wings, so it could mount a defense, and nothing of real value would be lost if it got superlasered. Some random general and some pyramids no one cared about. Better than leading them to an inhabited system, or losing track of the Death Star entirely.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

At least Brian Blessed was in Ep. 1.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Just realized Poe and Hux were the guys from Ex Machina. Holy poo poo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hux is a Weasely twin too. :3:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Well, Brian Blessed was in Episode I

e;fb

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Otisburg posted:

Poe and Ren were in the last Coen Bros movie too. Although using Oscar Isaac is a little unfair seeing as he's in every movie now.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Given that Rian Johnson will be directing the next installment and since J.J. Abrams included some of his buddies like Greg Grunberg and Ken Leung in the TFA, what's the over-under of Joseph Gordon-Levitt or at least Noah Segan making an appearance in Episode VIII?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tardigrade posted:

At least Brian Blessed was in Ep. 1.

I was about to look this up because I couldn't believe it, and then The scene where Boss Nass says something like "This'n His'n" or whatever in the Gungan city.

And I didn't need to look anything up after that.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Otisburg posted:

hah gently caress i knew about Poe but I didn't realize Hux

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Dapper_Swindler posted:

saw it again. this time with the folks. still great movie. unfortunately i got stuck behind a lovely family with a dad who made a snarky remark at every scene. Including THAT one.

I took my special lady friend to see it and it was in a much bigger theater than when I saw it the first night. People clapped at the beginning. People clapped when they showed the mellennium falcon. People clapped when Han showed up.

I don't get why people clap in a movie theater... Harrison Ford can't hear you bros

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Clapping during a movie is cool and more people should do it. Audience participation and engagement is great.

I mean I don't get why people laugh at comedies, it's not like the actors can hear you :confused:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Xenomrph posted:

Clapping during a movie is cool and more people should do it. Audience participation and engagement is great.

I mean I don't get why people laugh at comedies, it's not like the actors can hear you :confused:

but a movie is a pretty passive thing there's not much room for audience participation. I don't think they build room in for audience applause during editing

and laughing is kind of the point of a comedy...

It's just a weird thing to me that I've never understood why people do it. I guess I can understand it if its one of those weird live events they do at theatres.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Kylo Ren getting wrecked by an untrained force user makes perfect sense when you realize he is using half his concentration to keep his hair perfectly feathered despite wearing a helmet all the time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

spacemang_spliff posted:

but a movie is a pretty passive thing there's not much room for audience participation. I don't think they build room in for audience applause during editing

and laughing is kind of the point of a comedy...

It's just a weird thing to me that I've never understood why people do it. I guess I can understand it if its one of those weird live events they do at theatres.
I guess I can see how it might be weird to some people, but I love it and it's one of the main draws of seeing a movie in the theatre for me is the audience reactions, it consistently makes a movie more memorable for me. Screaming at a horror movie, clapping in general, laughing at funny stuff, cheering characters on, etc.

I saw an anniversary showing of Back to the Future in 2010, and the audience cheered and clapped when George McFly punched Biff out in the parking lot. It was awesome.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

I took my special lady friend to see it and it was in a much bigger theater than when I saw it the first night. People clapped at the beginning. People clapped when they showed the mellennium falcon. People clapped when Han showed up.

I don't get why people clap in a movie theater... Harrison Ford can't hear you bros

i dont mind that. Its happens in most nerdy movies. hell i like it sometimes. this guy was just being a smarmy oval office making dumb unfunny jokes to his fat wife, plus he got up every 10 minutes to get more food or take a piss. plus when you hear eveything go dead silent when THAT scene plays and the reactions. its fun.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Xenomrph posted:

I guess I can see how it might be weird to some people, but I love it and it's one of the main draws of seeing a movie in the theatre for me is the audience reactions, it consistently makes a movie more memorable for me. Screaming at a horror movie, clapping in general, laughing at funny stuff, cheering characters on, etc.

I saw an anniversary showing of Back to the Future in 2010, and the audience cheered and clapped when George McFly punched Biff out in the parking lot. It was awesome.

I guess I'd expect it at an anniversary showing of something, or like siging along with those late night showings of Rocky Horror Picture Show.

maybe I should start a slow clap at the end of a really bad movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don't like reactions in movies. IMO the theater is just a shared solo experience, much like the library. Hate people clapping. I do that at home, cut it out.

• Locked thread