Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
It's called normal mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, Hard Mode really isn't fun, and I'm pretty sure it's also set to start you on the alt floors more often. Just go back to Normal after getting everything done.

Prop Wash posted:

Ughhhh but Mega Fatty already has an unreasonably large amount of HP and constantly moving means you effectively get fewer tears hitting him, which makes that godawful fight last even longer. Also the champion versions are easily the most poorly-designed bosses in the game aside from Scolex and his tedious invincibility.

Unfortunately, that's the only way to really deal with his only deadly attack. You could also just move back and forth. You just need to be moving so his short hop doesn't get you.

Red Mega Fatty is really awful, and shouldn't be a basement boss. Or a caves boss.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

is there a no curses ever mod

BLCK CNDL

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Zark the Damned posted:

Technically Megafatty's Fast Jump has a short wind up. He'll take a short step towards you before making the jump. It gives you just enough time to move out of the way.

Gurdy Junior's dash attack is far worse.

Unless you have like zero tears or zero speed and multiple Gurdy Jr.'s it's easy enough just to anticipate the charge and prepare for it (if there are multiple, focus on one, crowd semi-close to it, and dodge the others when they charge)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, Hard Mode really isn't fun, and I'm pretty sure it's also set to start you on the alt floors more often. Just go back to Normal after getting everything done.

I only play hard mode, because I'm a weirdo.

Zark the Damned posted:

Technically Megafatty's Fast Jump has a short wind up. He'll take a short step towards you before making the jump. It gives you just enough time to move out of the way.

Gurdy Junior's dash attack is far worse.

This is true, but it still sucks.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

None of Mega Fatty's attacks have ever been the problem with him. The problem is that he starts with an unreasonable amount of health for appearing so early in the game. On a normal boss his jump attack would be an easy dodge, but on a boss that you're going to fight for 2 minutes straight, you are going to gently caress up and get hit.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I cheated greed mode to 999 because I hate greed mode

I feel great! How are your guys' Isaac runs going?

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 24, 2015

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

voltcatfish posted:

I've beaten greed mode a bunch but I never have a ton of coins after. I get that not spending all your coins is part of the thing, but it just feels like I'm waiting for the run where I break it just to hope that's not the same run that fucks me after 2 donations. I'll probably cheat it once I beat it with Az and Lilith.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I used the mod that drops a dollar and the greed machine into the first room of greed mode.

It's the only mod I've ever used and I've never felt bad or looked back at all. This was after a couple runs of breaking the machine with 90+ coins still left to give. gently caress doing it without mods, tbh

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
greed mode has its own brand of excitement

no damage ups with one hit left :v:. those coins were like impossible to destroy.

pay no attention to the pinking shears and habit combo. That said isaacs body basically never goes after coins.

Getting greed mode with the lost felt pretty good too.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Interestingly I just finished out ???'s hard card. Making him and The Lost the only characters on my fresh Afterbirth save that I have completed. :v:

Mainly because I cannot for the loving life of me get the key pieces as Judas.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Noooooo...!! Had a great run going with a guy spewing ridiculous amounts of shielded tears and then I mess up and while collecting drops after beating It Lives I step into the beam of light when I had taken the negative AND the blue womb door was open (which I was planning to enter with my shielded tear barrage of doom, plenty of keys, D6 and sack head).

*sob*

Easy Isaac kill just doesn't feel that good after a mistake like that.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

voltcatfish posted:

Pretty good, pretty good.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I tend to be way too meticulous in the dailies and miss out on the boss rush because of it. Any tips on optimizing score while still getting through the time gate?

e: btw today's daily isn't all that bad, imo. Pretty healthy amount of damage ups if you leave no stone unturned.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
And yay, got an overpowered 20/20 bouncy proptosis cricket's body and transdimensional baby boosted killing machine and right before lamb I got shielded tears too, not that they mattered, lamb couldn't get a shot in :v: Hush was a bit more difficult, but I think I had the damage reducing star sign so I was only taking half a heart per hit (and I got hit quite a bit, those tears covered the whole screen).

I like runs like these. Isaac's post it is now completed sans greed mode and mega satan, mum's heart/it lives beaten in hard mode.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Daeren posted:

There's a triple Adversary room in the Dark Room that has no terrain features. If you think double Adversary can pull off some bullshit brimstone shots, imagine each having two other Adversaries to boomerang off of. I had a run with ??? where I could generate nearly infinite soul hearts and still almost lost because they just would not stop using Brimstone, and I literally could not dodge half the shots until I killed one.

That room, by far, is the worst in the entire game. If you don't have a build that lets you shut your brain off in every other room in the game you're in extreme danger of death by attrition at the eleventh hour because the level generator decided to bitchslap you.

Quad Cage is worse then Triple Adversary, Cages have way more health.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 25, 2015

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Cages don't have complete BS homing brimstone attacks though.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Triple cage rooms are pretty bad, but quadruple cage rooms also exist for the extra gently caress you.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

For as intimidating as it seemed at first, Onan's Streak is surprisingly easy. I knocked it out out my second save file first try, Bumbo is a blessing.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Stolen from Reddit here but this is a really cute Isaac themed holiday card.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Today I decided to try out some Isaac mods, so I installed these two

http://moddingofisaac.com/mod/42/item-pools-be-one and http://moddingofisaac.com/mod/128/varying-special-rooms-mod

Here's the result of a normal Isaac run:

Quad shot + Death's Touch + fire bombs (And fire mind). Pretty good, but we can get better.

Now introducing Inner Eye! Whew!

Eve's Mascara :unsmigghh:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

1. Brimstone with no windup
2. Brimstone with no windup
2.5 fast jump with no windup
3. Baby ghosts are dicks

Bloat is the worst.

Mega Fatty's fast jump has a tell. It's quick but it's still there. It's a lurch towards you as he jumps up.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Probably the single most disgusting Lilith greed run I've ever gotten happened today. A combination of first floor 9 volt at half price + battery familiar, with the first devil room containing The Pentagram, The Pact and Abbadon.

I then got Milk on the cave floor treasure room, and soon after the AAA battery trinket. Suffice to say, I have never seen entire waves melt so fast under such an onslaught of tears. Interesting things to note about the Battery familiar is it does a couple things, seemingly having a random activation chance while you are in combat with anything.

They either drop a battery, give you a single pip of charge on your space bar item or freeze all enemies. He's a pretty handy familiar overall if you've got a great active item!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Had to get Mega-Satan with the Lost and managed to start out with Dad's Key. Then saw Tech-X and decided against my better judgement to take it. It was okay, but better when paired with the Wiz for double-shot. And then it became amazing when an Angel room dropped Sacred Heart. The laser circles just cruised across the screen slurping up everything in their path.
Just need Hush and Mega on Eden and I'm done with the post-it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

LionYeti posted:

no lilith no sale

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Cuntpunch posted:

What in the hell is with all the Maggie dailies lately? It's really burning me out because I loathe Maggie.

If nothing else it constantly seems like even outside Dailies, Maggie's item pools seem to just lean towards turning her into an HP pit, rather than getting any sort of offensive boosts of any sort. So most of my runs with her just trickle out by the lower floors because I just don't feel like dealing with HP soaks like Monstro II or Ragman with my still-at-base damage.

I don't like Maggy either but today's daily had ipecac in the caves so its a weird one to complain about.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
[quote="BillmasterCozb" post="454220740"]
Today I decided to try out some Isaac mods, so I installed these two

http://moddingofisaac.com/mod/42/item-pools-be-one and http://moddingofisaac.com/mod/128/varying-special-rooms-mod

/quote]

Ok, just got an amazing hard mode Azazel run with this seed, using these two mods

2KLY WRZC

It's just spiders and damage out the wazoo

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

LionYeti posted:

I think my favourite part is how uncomfortable Judas is.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Here's a fun equation when you reach the chest as maggy

dead cat+cursed eye= :suicide:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Cursed eye is just bad unless you're like Lost or Keeper with slow charging shots.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I think my favourite part is how uncomfortable Judas is.

He's just confused about how he's meant to wear his santa hat because he's already wearing a hat.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Christmas daily is real good ya'll.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

korrandark posted:

Christmas daily is real good ya'll.

Does Isaac have a little santa hat?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Grapplejack posted:

Does Isaac have a little santa hat?

Yes.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Little Santa hat and you start with Lump of Coal.

PROTIP: Reroll the Devil Room on Basement 2.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

Little Santa hat and you start with Lump of Coal.

PROTIP: Reroll the Devil Room on Basement 2.

I took the obvious one and rolled the other for amazing results. Did you roll both?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Vegastar posted:

I took the obvious one and rolled the other for amazing results. Did you roll both?

Rerolling both gives you Incubus and Brimstone.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
From the daily run, near the end, I was Brim Force One.

Incubus, brimstone, Lil B, and Cambion Conception gave me another lil B :getin:

edit: Also the shop at the blue womb had a box of friends

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I uh... got a little greedy with the B1 Curse Room in the daily:

I lasted a bit longer than I thought I would against Maga Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I get the feeling that's how the top ranking times did it. I wanted to get there via the B2 sacrifice room but I lost the coin toss for the teleport.