Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Similarly I remember getting songs that had AIM message tones mixed in and ones that halfway through turned into ear splitting static.

I think they were released by record labels as a sort of guerilla tactic, to make downloading songs such a crap shoot you wouldn't bother.

I remember hearing in the early 2000's that Madonna leaked a version of her new single on Napster that, halfway through the song, turned into her just cursing you out for not buying it instead. That sounded pretty funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

ZDar Fan posted:

I remember hearing in the early 2000's that Madonna leaked a version of her new single on Napster that, halfway through the song, turned into her just cursing you out for not buying it instead. That sounded pretty funny to me.

It was post Napster, but it was loops of this clip mis-labelled as tracks from her album American Life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU5xC00m-gA

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Iron Crowned posted:

Also Sublime has always sucked :colbert:
Sucking would be a step up.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Choco1980 posted:

Obligatory mention of the fact that someone at Disney's PR department was one of those missing the Meth references and put it on a commercial for "The Tigger Movie"

They reused the song again when it they re-released it (Disney vault!) not long ago too.

Also they don't post much but you should follow https://twitter.com/KaZaASongs

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ElwoodCuse posted:

They reused the song again when it they re-released it (Disney vault!) not long ago too.

Holy smokes. What a flood of memories.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

These guys were really edgy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usoY4CdVFoY

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Tootsee Roll Owl Bites a Dick (dirty).wmv
Tom Green Rolls Down Poop Hill.mp3
adam sandler_if peeing you’re pants is cool consider me miles davis(CLIP-ORIGINAL AUIDO).mp3
Madonna - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Baby and Python together (INDIA IS CRAZY).mov

Oh my god these are all great :D

One more...

JockJamsCottonEyeJoe.mp3

Hell yes

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

ElwoodCuse posted:

haha, the newest one: "16GB RAM.exe"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
While looking for something for the failed tech thread, I remember Os2 ads were kind of hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2cYd6dxj7w
Is that Dave Mustane? This ad is just missing the Bill and Ted wannabes that were so common in 90s media. I also like how there is zero footage of the program in use, and never actually answers anyones question. I remember Os2 being able to emulate windows to play games and things people actually wanted to do with their computers but terribly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DloCrXU3koY
There was a series of these showing people in non-computer related situations talking about it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

haha, the newest one: "16GB RAM.exe"
I got this today when trying to install a game from 1999

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Croccers posted:

I got this today when trying to install a game from 1999

Why in the world are you trying to play one of the Army Man games?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Kavak posted:

Why in the world are you trying to play one of the Army Man games?
Because I remember In Space as being balls hard and I wanted to see if it was or I was just poo poo at games back in 1999.
Works with almost 0 issues on Win7.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I assumed heros of might and magic (and hopefully 3)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

om nom nom posted:

I assumed heros of might and magic (and hopefully 3)

My favorite in the series was always 2. 3 has HD remake, but not 2. I love the old school sprites. Though I think there was a limit on how many sprites you could have on screen. I remember Red Alert 2 building a poo poo ton of Aircraft carriers and when the planes left, everyone would slow down to a crawl. Still a problem with rendered stuff, but it was novel when that actually became a problem.

Oh poo poo, that reminds me, second phone lines in your home. I guess if you have a dedicated office in your home it may be wise, even with cel phones, you can end up with bad reception and such, so having a land line would be nesscary, but outside of that, I can't imagine anyone having more than one land line in the house anymore. Though with dial up you pretty much needed it if you were a regular user.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There was an HD remake?! That was like my favorite game ever!! (Except Dragon Age 2)

Did they ever answer why angels have wings coming out of their buttcheeks?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Pick posted:

There was an HD remake?! That was like my favorite game ever!! (Except Dragon Age 2)

Why, where do yours come out?

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Mine come out of my cooch

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

twistedmentat posted:

My favorite in the series was always 2. 3 has HD remake, but not 2. I love the old school sprites. Though I think there was a limit on how many sprites you could have on screen. I remember Red Alert 2 building a poo poo ton of Aircraft carriers and when the planes left, everyone would slow down to a crawl. Still a problem with rendered stuff, but it was novel when that actually became a problem.

Seconding 2 being my favourite. I just loved the art style just a bit more over 3s digitized graphics. Plus the races felt a bit more balanced then 3 where towns like Inferno were just simply not as good as others.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

Why, where do yours come out?

On the angels it was pretty normal, but you'd upgrade 'em and bam, sphincter wings

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Croccers posted:

Because I remember In Space as being balls hard and I wanted to see if it was or I was just poo poo at games back in 1999.
Works with almost 0 issues on Win7.

So what's the verdict? Was it actually hard?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nutsngum posted:

Seconding 2 being my favourite. I just loved the art style just a bit more over 3s digitized graphics. Plus the races felt a bit more balanced then 3 where towns like Inferno were just simply not as good as others.

Yea. I loved Necropolis in 2 because you would end with thousands of skeletons.

Pick posted:

Yea, you should be able to get it on steam.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Star Man posted:

Since turning sixteen in 2003, I have seen gas prices swing from around $1.80 per gallon to as high as about $4.50 per gallon. In the same year I saw that peak, they came all the way back down to under $2.00 per gallon, then rise back up to about $4.00 per gallon and now they're under $2.00 again.

I've paid up to (approximately - metric vs imperial) $7 a gallon in Australia around 2007, thankfully fuel prices have gone back to $1.20 a litre recently which is a nice change. I would love to still be paying 50c a litre here in Australia!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Heyooo, Captain Jack!

:nws:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=boNRVXR7bqg
:nws:

[e]: Added NWS tags for wet t-shirts, whoops!

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 07:00 on Dec 29, 2015

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

frenton posted:

So what's the verdict? Was it actually hard?
80% of the difficulty comes from how loving fiddly the movement/selecting/ordering is really. Got fed up with it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
One of my Christmas gifts was the complete Doug Dvd set. Definitely looking forward to firing it up for some 90s nostalgia

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ambitious Spider posted:

One of my Christmas gifts was the complete Doug Dvd set. Definitely looking forward to firing it up for some 90s nostalgia

I remember going to Disneyland when I was little (I can't remember how little, though) and they still had the "Doug Live" show. That might have been in 1999 or so. I think the Doug movie had just come out, or was just about to come out. I only recently learned that Doug's voice (and Roger's voice, actually) was done by Billy West.

Though I also remember a few years ago, everybody seemed to hate Doug. I was never sure why - maybe because it was kind of bland or something? I think Hey Arnold was similar and I personally liked it better than Doug.

Recess was my favourite of that era of Disney cartoons.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember going to Disneyland when I was little (I can't remember how little, though) and they still had the "Doug Live" show. That might have been in 1999 or so. I think the Doug movie had just come out, or was just about to come out. I only recently learned that Doug's voice (and Roger's voice, actually) was done by Billy West.

Though I also remember a few years ago, everybody seemed to hate Doug. I was never sure why - maybe because it was kind of bland or something? I think Hey Arnold was similar and I personally liked it better than Doug.

Recess was my favourite of that era of Disney cartoons.

Doug was...pretty strange in a lot of ways. What didn't help was that the Disney version was an atrocity. The original on Nick was pretty great if you watched it for what it was (and also enjoyed that, incidentally) but a lot of people went into it expecting another high energy, joke every twelve seconds sort of thing. It had a lot to do with expectations probably but also which version they saw.

Doug was also generally a lot more serious and real which bothered a lot of people. While it could be whimsical it was still pretty firmly grounded in reality. Compare that to Ren & Stimpy which went full on cartoon logic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, yeah, it was on Nick originally. I think the move to Disney was when a lot of the character designs changed and you got stuff like Roger becoming a billionaire, Patty being more of a tomboy, that sort of thing, right?

Another childhood favourite of mine was Rugrats - before we had Sky TV and Cartoon Network and the Disney Channel and all that, the Rugrats cartoon being on Live & Kicking every Saturday and Sunday morning was practically a highlight of the weekend for me. And I've more recently learned that a ton of people really hate Rugrats as well. Granted, I haven't seen an episode of Rugrats for 10+ years so, who knows, it probably is pretty crap. :v:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The original Doug owned, I specifically recall the episode where Doug gets a new barber as being really good, and the liver and onions episode. I haven't gone back and watched any of that show as an adult though, let us know if it holds up!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My favorite was the Super Pretendo episode where he became addicted to video games and failed at school and alienated all his friends.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mu Zeta posted:

My favorite was the Super Pretendo episode where he became addicted to video games and failed at school and alienated all his friends.

Like Doug has time for casuals.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, yeah, it was on Nick originally. I think the move to Disney was when a lot of the character designs changed and you got stuff like Roger becoming a billionaire, Patty being more of a tomboy, that sort of thing, right?

Patty was already a pretty huge tomboy so the fact that they tried to make her more so was just like "what the Hell?" I didn't watch a lot of the Disney version but remember it being awful in so many ways.

Like rich Roger rolling around in a golf cart that had his face on it. Sorry Disney, but they already did that joke with Mr. Dink.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ive been reading the nick oral history book, theres a lot of stuff in there about how the old nick live-action shows were done in a way to appear more real and edgy than the perfect world of disney shows, especially with clarissa explains it all. pretty interesting, especially when i see the shows my kids are watching now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember a lot of dancing in kids shows back then. I have vivid memories of some kids sketch show that would often end sketches with one kid breaking out into a dance routine rather than having a punchline.

I think it may have been the one with Goodburger sketches.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ive been reading the nick oral history book, theres a lot of stuff in there about how the old nick live-action shows were done in a way to appear more real and edgy than the perfect world of disney shows, especially with clarissa explains it all. pretty interesting, especially when i see the shows my kids are watching now.

I'm always interested in that kind of thing - do you mind me inquiring about the title?

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I remember a lot of dancing in kids shows back then. I have vivid memories of some kids sketch show that would often end sketches with one kid breaking out into a dance routine rather than having a punchline.

I think it may have been the one with Goodburger sketches.

Roundhouse

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

twistedmentat posted:

:byodame: Bring in the dancing lobsters!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8v-oAt1dJI

(The Amanda Show show was pretty bad even when I was still the target age)

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Wow that's a lot of wet t-shirts to not be marked :nws:

But brings back memories of BCT. I had no idea somebody was making eurodance remixes of cadences.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Turns out that this is technically late 1980s, but I probably saw it in the early 1990s on Nickelodeon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW9f04Dctz4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

The last couple of pages brought back a memory of a song I found on napster/kazaa I think it was labeled as just "the weed song".
All I can remember is a country sound to it and I think the only lyrics were "smoke weed smoke weed" over and over. Their may have been more to it then that but I'm not sure.

Is this real/does anyone else remember this? I remember this being all over the place one summer then never hearing it again.