Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

negativeneil posted:

I'm having issues with Group MMS to coming into my Nexus 6P (Project Fi SIM). I had an iPhone and switched back when the new Nexus came out. Before I sold my iPhone I disabled iMessage. I can receive texts just fine, but group messages sent by people via their iPhones don't reach me. Anyone had this issue? I can't believe Apple gets away with this poo poo. I'm locked into their ecosystem whether I like it or not?!

I've heard that even once you disable it on your end, existing chat sessions can still get routed via iMessage. Try asking someone to delete the group conversation and start fresh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Thanks Google!

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Have you considered 'a carrier other than Cricket'?

Keep in mind that Cricket is one of those providers that literally doesn't know how to provision tethering. Not 'refuses to'.

Also they're an MVNO of AT&T, so standard AT&T caveats apply.

I want to try something other than Sprint, and as far as I can tell Cricket has the best price for 3-5 GB of data a month.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

repiv posted:

I've heard that even once you disable it on your end, existing chat sessions can still get routed via iMessage. Try asking someone to delete the group conversation and start fresh?

Thanks apple, now I get to teach my mom how to delete a conversation on her iPhone. "It just works!"

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Captain Yossarian posted:

You can buy Cricket sims at Walmart for like 6$ if you aren't in a rush? poo poo even if you are, Walmart is open until like 830 today

Kraps i wanted to quote myself because I wasn't sure if you saw this! :)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

uPen posted:

Thanks Google!

Samsung gave me way better poo poo:

Headphones, portable fast charger and a wireless charger showed up in the mail two days ago.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Kraps posted:

I want to try something other than Sprint, and as far as I can tell Cricket has the best price for 3-5 GB of data a month.

My 6P works fine on Cricket, just get a SIM from somewhere. Tethering won't work because Cricket is useless but the data is cheap.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Kraps i wanted to quote myself because I wasn't sure if you saw this! :)

Ah thanks, there's none that are easy to get to from here sadly.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

negativeneil posted:

Thanks apple, now I get to teach my mom how to delete a conversation on her iPhone. "It just works!"

It works great for Apple, and encourages people to stay in their ecosystem. They don't care to make it easier to stop using their products.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Kraps posted:

I did, and it's telling me the phone is incompatible, that's why I'm asking.
Put in some other LTE phone so it shuts up. You know better than their computers know.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The fingerprint unlocking on the 6p is hella fast, but I wonder how long it will take me to break the habit of unlock screen, swipe, input pin.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Athenry posted:

The fingerprint unlocking on the 6p is hella fast, but I wonder how long it will take me to break the habit of unlock screen, swipe, input pin.

Took me a couple of days. What I made sure to do was unlock with the fingerprint even if I tried to unlock by swiping first.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Use an obnoxiously long alphanumeric password until you break the habit :v:

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Kiger_Soze posted:

Looks like my 6p is starting "twist" from being in my pocket. Just noticed it wobbles like a table with uneven legs when i place it on a flat surface.

I wish I hadn't read that. I just checked and mine is too. It bugs me now that I know about it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

why are you goons sitting on your phones

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

I've never sat on my phone. Front pocket only, and half the time I take it out before sitting. I've only had it for two weeks, so I'm just stumped how it happened. I don't think I put much bending force on it. Big thin phones are just bendy I guess.
I've taken some of the warp out by pressing gently down on the high corners while it's on a flat surface. At this rate I need to think if I want to risk keeping it or take advantage of the free return.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I just checked and my Nexus 5 is the same shape it always was.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've taken the precaution of encasing my N6 in an indestructible block of plastic and rubber.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Android Thread - just put your phone in a vise to fix it

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I know goons are in love with Diztronic, but are there any case recommendations for the 6P that don't cover the weird robo-eyeball window on it? I actually like the window and want to keep it uncovered.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have a few questions; is the 5x a good phone to get? What is a good brand of glass screen protector for it?

Related to this; what is the best way to wipe my old phone to sell? It's encrypted if that makes any difference.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Has anyone been having issues with Google Camera on their Nexus 6 since the app updated? Lots of "couldn't find the camera" and freezing crashes for me. :(

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Help. I can't get Priority Only mode to shut off. Nexus 6P on 6.0.1. Rebooting does nothing

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Millstone posted:

Help. I can't get Priority Only mode to shut off. Nexus 6P on 6.0.1. Rebooting does nothing
What have you tried? I assume we don't need to tell you to use Quick Settings or the volume popup? So the toggles just do nothing?

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

That is correct. I smash it endlessly and the status remains Priority Only. Also I go to the volume toggle where it says Priority Only END NOW and that does absolutely nothing please I don't want to reset this

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Millstone posted:

That is correct. I smash it endlessly and the status remains Priority Only. Also I go to the volume toggle where it says Priority Only END NOW and that does absolutely nothing please I don't want to reset this
Can you change it to at next alarm and set an alarm for 5 minutes from now?

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

I saw another report of this happening on 6.0.1 (Xperia z3) where priority mode got stuck on because it was set to "disable on next alarm" but the phone was powered down at the time the alarm was supposed to have gone off.

Is this similar to what happened in your case?

ilkhan posted:

Can you change it to at next alarm and set an alarm for 5 minutes from now?

Yeah, try this.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

ijyt posted:

Has anyone been having issues with Google Camera on their Nexus 6 since the app updated? Lots of "couldn't find the camera" and freezing crashes for me. :(

I''ve had this on my Nexus 6 a couple of times since the app updated. Don't recall having problems before, then two in a couple of days. Works fine once it starts working though, so no major issue for me. Could see it being more annoying if I used the camera more though.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Nill posted:

I saw another report of this happening on 6.0.1 (Xperia z3) where priority mode got stuck on because it was set to "disable on next alarm" but the phone was powered down at the time the alarm was supposed to have gone off.

Is this similar to what happened in your case?

Yeah, try this.

Indeed it was set to disable on next alarm. I woke up before the alarm and dismissed the alarm before it went off. I'll try this later today.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

That did not fix it :(

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Millstone posted:

That did not fix it :(
Try going into Settings -> Sound and create a rule to turn DND on and then off a few minutes from now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Does the UI reflect that it's in Priority mode or does it say it's in whatever other mode you want but it behaves like it's in Priority?

^^^ That's the direction I was going in too.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Just got a Moto X (2nd Gen) to replace my ancient smashed up Galaxy S2. What not too excessively bulky cases are worth taking a look at for it?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
How cool are the sony exclusive features? Assuming I get a ps4 as well?

I'm considering going sony next, I like messing with custom rom stuff though... I hear that could be problematic on the newest model, even though they claim to be open source friendly I doubt their sincerity. I guess you lose their camera functionality and maybe some other things (if you touch the bootloader) unless you are on an older sony xda has already figured out.

I guess I could wait until the newest sony and ps4 get discounted to be safe.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay, why is WiFi suddenly chewing up the battery on my Nexus 5? I have it set to shut off WiFi while my phone is sleeping and it's not working. It just... stays on.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Captain Blaargh posted:

Just got a Moto X (2nd Gen) to replace my ancient smashed up Galaxy S2. What not too excessively bulky cases are worth taking a look at for it?

The i-blason case on Amazon works well for me.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

galahan posted:

How cool are the sony exclusive features? Assuming I get a ps4 as well?

I'm considering going sony next, I like messing with custom rom stuff though... I hear that could be problematic on the newest model, even though they claim to be open source friendly I doubt their sincerity. I guess you lose their camera functionality and maybe some other things (if you touch the bootloader) unless you are on an older sony xda has already figured out.

I guess I could wait until the newest sony and ps4 get discounted to be safe.

I've just moved from a Z3 Compact to the Nexus 5x and I'm not missing any of those features (finger print reader has replaced smart unlock and tap to wake for me). However I don't own a PS4 or Sony headphones so take this with a grain of salt.

Can anyone comment on wiping an old phone for selling?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So, one complaint with the Nexus 5X: the mushy-rear end power button. Is there any way at all to fix that? I mean, it does 'click', but maybe only half the time. It's not like it doesn't work, it does, just it's not 'satisfying'.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

I've just moved from a Z3 Compact to the Nexus 5x and I'm not missing any of those features (finger print reader has replaced smart unlock and tap to wake for me). However I don't own a PS4 or Sony headphones so take this with a grain of salt.

On a Nexus I'd tell you to just reflash the system image but I don't know what's involved in snowflake OEM phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

The safest way is to enable full device encryption, then do a factory reset. That way whatever data is left behind by the often half assed factory reset routine will be garbled and useless.