Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ohgodwhat posted:

OK General Sherman
The only thing General Sherman did wrong was not salt the earth he burned down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

he he yeah burn the south, kill everyone in the s

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
it's sad how you can see lassen county, california there because of the prison in its county seat :smith:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
General Sherman should only be internal in spirit - unleash him externally against Daesh and shame the warmongers.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I kept on telling myself I'm gonna do that to Robert E. Lee's house when I lived in Alexandria

I thought the decision to stick the national cemetery in his yard was sufficient for that. Eat poo poo, traitor.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Luigi Thirty posted:

Had to google that splotch in the Alaskan interior.

Fairbanks and the general area, apparently. Old gold mining town, now also supports a military emplacement. An entire 100k people in the metropolitan area, second largest in Alaska!

Edit: Attorney at Funk has the right idea. Plonk another, spiteful historical site next to it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Jackson Taus posted:

McDowell posted:

Debt jubilees coupled with deflation could be good for the economy.

Yeah, and so would manna falling from heaven, but it's a nonstarter. The companies holding the debt utilize it as an asset and a form of income, and they have a lot more lobbying power.

The other issue with deflation is that it makes the rich richer - their reserves of wealth let them buy even more stuff.

jubilees are from the Bible, why dont fundies love it and want to impliment it?*

*We already know the answer.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Merry Christmas!

quote:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- A woman accused of placing a Confederate flag on a black co-worker's desk has pleaded guilty to lying to a federal officer.

U.S. Attorney A. Lee Bentley said Tuesday that 58-year-old Susan Thompson faces a possible five-year prison sentence.

Prosecutors say Thompson, who is white, placed an image of the flag on the desk of a co-worker with whom she'd had a contentious relationship at their Jacksonville office for the Army Corps of Engineers. That was in June, one week after nine people were killed at a historically black church in Charleston, South Carolina. Dylann Roof, a white man who posed with the flag for photos, is charged.

Prosecutors say that during interviews over the Jacksonville incident, Thompson lied to investigators twice.

Thompson later resigned and has admitted to placing the flag. She denied it was racially motivated.

Remember kids, don't lie to federal agents about whether or not you put a Confederate flag on your black coworker's desk.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Merry Christmas!

Remember kids, don't lie to federal agents about whether or not you put a Confederate flag on your black coworker's desk.

Lmao, what are the formal charges? I know the feds tend to get ridiculously angry and bury anybody if it's discovered they straight up lied to them. Would perjury cover this?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
People who snivel and whine about Sherman are trash garbage. Sherman was good, and the March to the Sea was good. I am glad that the planter class's riches were burned and wish they would have been executed en masse.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Attorney at Funk posted:

I thought the decision to stick the national cemetery in his yard was sufficient for that. Eat poo poo, traitor.

:agreed:

And Stone Mountain should be renamed W. W. Law Mountain.

Get hosed traitors.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Lmao, what are the formal charges? I know the feds tend to get ridiculously angry and bury anybody if it's discovered they straight up lied to them. Would perjury cover this?

Making false statements to a federal agent during an investigation is heck of a federal crime. It's what they nail famous people for.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
that's why you always plead the 21st amendment: "officer, I was drunk"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Merry Christmas!

This is the best part:

quote:

Thompson later resigned and has admitted to placing the flag. She denied it was racially motivated.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

GalacticAcid posted:

People who snivel and whine about Sherman are trash garbage. Sherman was good, and the March to the Sea was good. I am glad that the planter class's riches were burned and wish they would have been executed en masse.

It's always hilarious when neo-confederates whine about the march to the sea but have never heard of the million times more destructive sweep through South Carolina.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'm off to celebrate the holiday, so long for now USPol.

Merry Christmas, Libs!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

"I'll shoot you commies through the interwebs!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Luigi Thirty posted:

Making false statements to a federal agent during an investigation is heck of a federal crime. It's what they nail famous people for.

The crazy thing is I'm almost positive there's no charge she can get for 'being a racist idiot' so she basically upgraded 'getting in trouble at work' to 'actual federal crime' which is fantastic.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

If there was a ton of money in bogus physics like there is in bogus economics you bet your ads there'd be just as many charlatan physicists.

It's also very difficult to conduct experiments in economics; no matter how similar two situations are there will be important differences between them.

It is pretty easy to discern the bad economists though. They made horribly wrong predictions (like hyperinflation!) and have never accounted for them.

However economics has made important strides - and if you don't believe that read up on how unstable economies were in the nineteenth century.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

Merry Christmas, Libs!

AHHHH! Wood paneling!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

GalacticAcid posted:

Merry Christmas, Libs!

someone has small genitals.

GalacticAcid posted:

pretty much. I would have hung every general in the confederacy and maybe a 3rd of the officer corp. then again that would have probaly started worse poo poo.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Is his flag backwards because of how selfies work, or is it like with flags on airplanes and he's swiftly moving to his left?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GalacticAcid posted:

Merry Christmas, Libs!

If more TCOT would shoot their computers it would be quite the Merry Christmas gift for us all.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

Merry Christmas, Libs!

quote:

Conservative Christian Patriot Warrior. Love my Guns, my God, my Race, my Country, and my family. In that order. Pride in your own race is not racism. #TCOT

IN THAT ORDER??

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GalacticAcid posted:

Merry Christmas, Libs!

how are you going to shoot me without bullets?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Fear will keep the local systems in line.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

You don't understand. I AM the bullet.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

IN THAT ORDER??

Guns before God is pretty accurate.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

A Winner is Jew posted:

:agreed:

And Stone Mountain should be renamed W. W. Law Mountain.

Get hosed traitors.

There's already a much more elegant solution for Stone Mountain

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

GalacticAcid posted:

im not really hype about his wanting to murder every native american man, woman, and child though

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

comes along bort posted:

There's already a much more elegant solution for Stone Mountain

Have it mandated that "Hey Ya!" is looped in perpetuity as well.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ThirdPartyView posted:

Have it mandated that "Elevators (Me & You)" is looped in perpetuity as well.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The last two pages are a perfect example of why we shouldn't audit the fed.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Rygar201 posted:

Somehow I doubt deeply diving into the substance of Israel Palestine dispute would cause him to double down on Israel. It's probably a recognition that anyone doing differently wouldn't get within sniffing distance of the nomination.

Trying to think of the best way to word this .... I think there is some disagreement here between causation and correlation.

Human beings respond more to personal stories than statistics, and more to a person talking directly to us than to something read in the third person. Hillary and Bernie are human beings ... They are also memes and symbols but underneath the burdens of our expectations they are people.

Until Bernie got within "sniffing distance" of having any importance to this issue there was no reason for people to lobby him on it or care what he thought. Now he's on the radar so he is being targeted for outreach in a way he wasn't before. Part of this, yes, is going to be demands that he kiss rings for political support. But part of it also is going to be a bunch of people from all walks of life grabbing on his heart strings and pulling as hard as they can. Unless he is heartless, this will have an effect.

Being in a position of power and having people begging you for help is completely different than being in the peanut gallery. Would all of your political stances remain intact if you were in a position to act on them and had to look the people harmed by them in the eye?

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Human beings entirely care more about statistics than personal stories, and that is entirely why we created, live in, and tolerate something as oppressive as capitalism is.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Luigi Thirty posted:

People keep posting that like we don't think the problems with the south are all the weird conservative whites who have disenfranchised all minorities.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Luigi Thirty posted:

Remove white racist scum and redistribute their confiscated land to the black community in the form of reparations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Human beings entirely care more about statistics than personal stories, and that is entirely why we created, live in, and tolerate something as oppressive as capitalism is.

What? This is pretty much the opposite of true. Reagan made up a story about welfare queens and Fox News found one fiscally irresponsible surfer so obviously we should gently caress over all poor people everywhere.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

If more TCOT would shoot their computers it would be quite the Merry Christmas gift for us all.

I could only hope. Good ol' Bill there has a few chambers loaded and it doesn't look like he's practicing great trigger discipline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Xand_Man posted:

What? This is pretty much the opposite of true. Reagan made up a story about welfare queens and Fox News found one fiscally irresponsible surfer so obviously we should gently caress over all poor people everywhere.

Poor people are a statistic and that is why poverty is entirely tolerable in the context of western civilizations.

• Locked thread