Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(Banderas@revtd)/ship-equipment

What would be the easiest and cheapest way for me to get less lovely? Like, what is the most glaringly obvious mistakes I am making with my gear or skills or whatever. I only have like 120k dilithium, but I don't mind a bit of a grind. I'm probably going to switch to the new Breen ship when I unlock it in 5 days, if that makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I couldn't even win the dumb race game once so I didn't bother trying to get the Breen ship. I am so bad at games. :v:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

revtoiletduck posted:

http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(Banderas@revtd)/ship-equipment

What would be the easiest and cheapest way for me to get less lovely? Like, what is the most glaringly obvious mistakes I am making with my gear or skills or whatever. I only have like 120k dilithium, but I don't mind a bit of a grind. I'm probably going to switch to the new Breen ship when I unlock it in 5 days, if that makes a difference.

For one, you need to be upgrading the Mk on your gear. Rarity can be safely ignored, but holy poo poo, Mk X and XI beams are not going to cut it in endgame content anymore. You're also lacking a decent ship gear set, but if I remember right, you said you were still working on Iconian, so you might as well tough it out till you get that. Also, drop the Breen consoles, get some Embassy plasma threat nullifiers. You do these things, and that will be enough to skyrocket your effectiveness for as minimal a gameplay investment possible. After that, if you still give a poo poo, you can start dipping into the crazier P2W options and possible even Get Gud(tm).

Also the gateway doesn't accurately show Boff skills, so you'll need to discuss that in game.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Levelling up feels...

poo poo. You're always fighting better stuff, so leveling only gives you ten more skills to have to manage to be just as good as you were. Tips? I'm actually quickly hitting a wall were the game is no more enjoyable to play because any progress means nothing.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Krilion posted:

You're always fighting better stuff, so leveling only gives you ten more skills to have to manage to be just as good as you were.
Welcome to MMO gameplay, enjoy your stay! :toot:

If you're having trouble leveling, try and get better gear. Doesn't need to be fancy, mark level matters more than quality. And don't forget to use all those skills; past a certain point you're best off learning how to throw all those maintenance buffs into a macro while you're in space combat.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Krilion posted:

You're always fighting better stuff
The exception being if you go team with and help a lowbie, setting them to team leader and matching level. Then the curbstomping is fantastic.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Kesper North posted:

I couldn't even win the dumb race game once so I didn't bother trying to get the Breen ship. I am so bad at games. :v:

The race against the npc? Don't wait til it says go to start running.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

revtoiletduck posted:

What would be the easiest and cheapest way for me to get less lovely?

Step 1: Stop being the type of oblivious pubbie that ignores pms. They're set by default to pop up in every chat tab in purple and also the game makes a noise when it happens to you. You may find that when it is happening, people are trying to flood you with epic quality gear.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Acer Pilot posted:

Aw, gently caress. Well, I'm not grinding it now! :v:

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Krilion posted:

Levelling up feels...

poo poo. You're always fighting better stuff, so leveling only gives you ten more skills to have to manage to be just as good as you were. Tips? I'm actually quickly hitting a wall were the game is no more enjoyable to play because any progress means nothing.
At least for space content, it'll go a lot faster if you use decent equipment and not just whatever random junk you picked up along the way. And by decent leveling equipment, I mean matching purple beams/tac consoles at the highest mark level you can current equip. If you can't afford them, ask around in chat. Most of the vets can craft that stuff easily. Combine that with good boff skills used as often as possible and you'll sail through leveling enemies.

Or take a break from leveling, put together an outrageous costume, and go troll pubbies by standing next to them. That's 90% of the end-game content anyway.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Acer Pilot posted:

Also roll to turn, it's faster than trying to regain inertia with normal turns..

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
You can also jump to stop inertia.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

g0del posted:

At least for space content, it'll go a lot faster if you use decent equipment and not just whatever random junk you picked up along the way. And by decent leveling equipment, I mean matching purple beams/tac consoles at the highest mark level you can current equip. If you can't afford them, ask around in chat. Most of the vets can craft that stuff easily. Combine that with good boff skills used as often as possible and you'll sail through leveling enemies.

Or take a break from leveling, put together an outrageous costume, and go troll pubbies by standing next to them. That's 90% of the end-game content anyway.

I'll try that. Both things, that is.

What's the procedure for joining STD?

Krilion fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 26, 2015

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Krilion posted:

What's the procedure for joining STD?
Don't use a rubber.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Asimo posted:

Don't use a rubber.

Cleary the issue was drinking profusely for 9 months after not using one - in my case.

I do mean SFD

Krilion fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 26, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Krilion posted:

Cleary the issue was drinking profusely for 9 months after not using one - in my case.

I do mean SFD

Well, first you need to post your intro thread in GBS.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, the starting procedure is an intro post in the introductions board. We've made this very clear in the past, not sure how you missed it.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Psycho Landlord posted:

Yeah, the starting procedure is an intro post in the introductions board. We've made this very clear in the past, not sure how you missed it.

Didn't miss that, I was interested in the things beyond it. The threadstart only goes that deep.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Krilion posted:

Didn't miss that, I was interested in the things beyond it. The threadstart only goes that deep.

The words you've typed don't form a coherent sentence. Would you like to try again?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Also there's always the option to bribe somebody but if you have to ask you can't afford it.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

quote:

[Local] Anera@TheHSBR: really cool troll
Such a supportive community.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Psycho Landlord posted:

For one, you need to be upgrading the Mk on your gear. Rarity can be safely ignored, but holy poo poo, Mk X and XI beams are not going to cut it in endgame content anymore. You're also lacking a decent ship gear set, but if I remember right, you said you were still working on Iconian, so you might as well tough it out till you get that. Also, drop the Breen consoles, get some Embassy plasma threat nullifiers. You do these things, and that will be enough to skyrocket your effectiveness for as minimal a gameplay investment possible. After that, if you still give a poo poo, you can start dipping into the crazier P2W options and possible even Get Gud(tm).

Also the gateway doesn't accurately show Boff skills, so you'll need to discuss that in game.

So, ignore rarity in favor of higher Mk, but I assume they still all need to be the same energy type? Also, are dual heavy cannons still objectively superior to dual cannons? Would you use Mk XI heavies over Mk XII regular cannons?

Are any of the sets you acquire from the episodes worth using, or just from reputation? I've maxed out Borg and Romulan rep, but most of the others are tier2-3ish.

Mondian posted:

Step 1: Stop being the type of oblivious pubbie that ignores pms. They're set by default to pop up in every chat tab in purple and also the game makes a noise when it happens to you. You may find that when it is happening, people are trying to flood you with epic quality gear.

I'll keep an eye out! Though I tend to tab out of the game a lot.

revtoiletduck fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 26, 2015

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

revtoiletduck posted:

So, ignore rarity in favor of higher Mk, but I assume they still all need to be the same energy type? Also, are dual heavy cannons still objectively superior to dual cannons? Would you use Mk XI heavies over Mk XII regular cannons?

Are any of the sets you acquire from the episodes worth using, or just from reputation? I've maxed out Borg and Romulan rep, but most of the others are tier2-3ish.

Yeah, so long as your stuff is at least purple Mk XIV you're fine, and that is easy to obtain nowadays. Energy type being the same is a no-brainer.

Cannons are in kinda a poo poo spot right now - though DHC's are still totally usable on some ships, you need to stick with beams. Cannons are single target only right now (CSV blows) and require a certain set of ship traits from things like the StrikeBug and all that. So you need beams. Just fly around and press FaW - it will be just as effective and easier to build.

While the episode sets in and of themselves aren't worth using 99% of the time, there are certain items from those sets that are handy to have. For instance, the Omni-directional AP and Tetryon beams you can get from past episodes can be used alongside a crafted omni beam of that type, meaning you have more 360 firepower in an Tet or AP build. Pretty worth it. So you might want to look into those, if you don't just upgrade those plasma beams.

Also, yeah, keep an eye on your tells, because chances are Mondian is going to render all this advice moot and just give you a bunch of poo poo if you start paying attention.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Psycho Landlord posted:

Based on his post history, I don't think he deserves the j4g treatment. But I don't have invite privileges for TNG so it doesn't matter what I think.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

g0del posted:

Based on his post history, I don't think he deserves the j4g treatment. But I don't have invite privileges for TNG so it doesn't matter what I think.

He's been here a month ninety percent of his posts are in games.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I miss xean :(

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

hakimashou posted:

I miss xean :(

We all do, son. We all do.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Psycho Landlord posted:

He's been here a month ninety percent of his posts are in games.
Games, not MMO HMO. Plenty of people join for the games forum, but the ones that j4g tend to be a lot more obvious about it.

I mean, we have mark thieves and bronies in the guild, how much worse can this guy be?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

They may be bronies, thieves, 12-year-old thieves, and AotC, but dammit, they're the old guard.

In all seriousness, new guy, it's generally expected for you to hang out for a bit before you start asking for invites to goon groups out of the blue. But from what I hear you're already in the channel, so who loving knows. Talk to people a bit, prove you aren't shitlord, more than likely someone will invite you.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Psycho Landlord posted:

They may be bronies, thieves, 12-year-old thieves, and AotC, but dammit, they're the old guard.

In all seriousness, new guy, it's generally expected for you to hang out for a bit before you start asking for invites to goon groups out of the blue. But from what I hear you're already in the channel, so who loving knows. Talk to people a bit, prove you aren't shitlord, more than likely someone will invite you.

The channel has been immensely helpful, which is why I asked. I was also drunk and alone on Christmas Night, so smart choices weren't at the front of my mind.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Have you considered purchasing a lifetime subscription and the dyson science destroyer pack lately?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Krilion posted:

The channel has been immensely helpful, which is why I asked. I was also drunk and alone on Christmas Night, so smart choices weren't at the front of my mind.

Sounds like a goon to me!

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Aleth posted:

Have you considered purchasing a lifetime subscription and the dyson science destroyer pack lately?

They just seem like such good deals!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

the game's closing soon anyway

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

All the more reason to buy them while you can!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
The Dyson thing is actually a fairly solid investment if you've been playing for a while and have a bunch of Dil. Not for flying though, just for having more science ships in your roster.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Should I try selling all the purples I get during leveling?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Krilion posted:

Should I try selling all the purples I get during leveling?

sure

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well got my free breen dreadnought. Guess I'm good until the next event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brodoyouevengif
Jun 15, 2013

The pubbie blood must flow for le mighty Brodo.
Sitting at 320/1000 now. This honestly feels like more of a grind after every year.

• Locked thread