Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I do agree that the scene where they're gleefully talking about how they're gonna murder Phasma seemed kinda uncomfortable, I mean, clearly they're murdering like millions of ppl by blowing up the base, but the point there isn't the murdering. Ya know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I kinda felt like there were a few too many references, callbacks and story beats from the old movies. Like was this done for some clever subversion of tropes/deconstruction whatever because they did the same thing in Into Darkness.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ho ho ho, MERRRRRRRRRRRRY Christmas, you filthy animals!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVJzibVS2YM

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I still don't buy phases just turning off the shields. The film had them pegged as fanatics and when she boops on the computer and turns around with a "do you really think.." I expected "...I would turn off the shields" and I got "...you can stop this inevitable thing" and it seemed weird.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

ShineDog posted:

I still don't buy phases just turning off the shields. The film had them pegged as fanatics and when she boops on the computer and turns around with a "do you really think.." I expected "...I would turn off the shields" and I got "...you can stop this inevitable thing" and it seemed weird.

Yeah, I actually went "Wait, what?" in the theater when they said the shield was off.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Effectronica posted:

Beautiful little sarcasm, but don't do it again.

Actually not that, but thanks for reminding me not to interact with you.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Cinema Discusso › Star Wars: Thanks For Reminding Me Not To Interact With You

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm sick of all these star wars

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The best part of all the Kylo Ren chat is how everyone o erlooked the real villain of the movie: General Hux. He's responsible for the child soldier program that ruined Finn's life and he did the big Nazi speech and orgasmed as he killed billions of people. Can't wait for the fucker to die.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
If you want to see a prequel where Hux thinks lewd thoughts about C3-PO while Poe watches, see Ex Machina.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

If you want to see a prequel where Hux thinks lewd thoughts about C3-PO while Poe watches, see Ex Machina.

:aaaaa:

I saw that a few months ago and did not place either of them

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

The best part of all the Kylo Ren chat is how everyone o erlooked the real villain of the movie: General Hux. He's responsible for the child soldier program that ruined Finn's life and he did the big Nazi speech and orgasmed as he killed billions of people. Can't wait for the fucker to die.

Everyone overlooked him because his speech is lame as gently caress and the movie doesnt give you a spare moment to feel bad about the half dozen nuked planets.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I knew about Isaac, not about the other guy.

All they need to do is cast Alicia Vikander in Ep. VIII and they can all share an awkward moment.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

All they need to do is cast Alicia Vikander in Ep. VIII and they can all share an awkward moment.

That movie was enough awkward moments for everyone

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phylodox posted:

He was a cackling villain in Return of the Jedi, about as extravagantly evil as you can get, but it straddled the line between space-opera and soap-opera nicely. His performance in Revenge of the Sith felt like a much less assured, experienced actor's parody of that character.

Sheev had to spend decades in the Sith closet. All that over the top cackling was basically him having a coming out party. He played it perfectly in Revenge.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sheev had to spend decades in the Sith closet. All that over the top cackling was basically him having a coming out party. He played it perfectly in Revenge.

i passionately hate the prequels, but I agree with this. McDiarmid's emperor and Duel of the Fates are pretty much the only worthwhile things to come out of the whole mess.

edit: oh and Ewan MacGregor was incredible, I'll give you that.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 25, 2015

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

hhhat posted:

:aaaaa:

I saw that a few months ago and did not place either of them

Yeah, I just watched it a couple weeks ago. I knew about Poe but learning about Hux just blew my mind...actors and that acting thing they do.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I got one of those new EU books for Christmas, Lost Stars, and it's actually not completely terrible for a silly YA book?

Help me, I think I'm being corrupted.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Yeah, I just watched it a couple weeks ago. I knew about Poe but learning about Hux just blew my mind...actors and that acting thing they do.

My boss was legit startled that John Boyega was not American at all.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
Just saw the new movie. It was a great sequel. Folks who'd never seen a star war were with me and also thought it was great except for the cliffhanger ("there's going to be THREE movies?"). I only just finished rewatching the previous movies and number one was my favorite, especially for that beautiful scene: "I had a dream I became a Jedi and came back to free all the slaves. Are you here to free us?"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Are your friends completely unaware of the whole "star wars comes in trilogies" thing?

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
Yes. Why should they care to know?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I personally don't think it is that big a deal but it might be worth it going into a movie to know that it is the first part of a three part serial to not confuse them by the end of the movie?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

zen death robot posted:

there are standalone movies coming out as well

In terms of the numbered "main" installments though, it's all trilogies.

Sunny Side Up posted:

Yes. Why should they care to know?

I guess I thought that was just general cultural knowledge. That "the Star Wars trilogy" phrase was on the same level of knowledge as "batman's parents are dead" or whatever.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

zen death robot posted:

there are standalone movies coming out as well

my news years resolution is to read up on all the upcoming rogue one hot news coming out

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Even if you aren't aware of Disney's nefarious plans for the future, the words 'Episode VII' appearing a few seconds after the title should clue anyone into the serial nature of Star Wars.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

quote:

Disney's Star Wars: The Force Awakens continued to rule the box office on Thursday with an estimated Christmas Eve take of $27.59 million. That easily represented the largest Christmas Eve gross of all-time, as the film rocketed past the previous Christmas Eve record of $11.15 million set by Avatar back in 2009. The Christmas Eve performance of The Force Awakens was 147 percent stronger than the Christmas Eve performance of Avatar.

The Force Awakens has grossed a massive $391.05 million in its first week of release. That represents the largest seven-day start of all-time, as it tops the previous $296.21 million seven-day record gross of this year's Jurassic World by $94.84 million and 32 percent. The Force Awakens is currently running 185 percent ahead of the $137.09 million seven-day start of Avatar.

Given its tremendous holding power throughout the week and Christmas falling today, The Force Awakens is headed for an astonishing second weekend performance this weekend and should zoom past the $550 million domestic mark on Sunday. To put that in perspective, 2005's Revenge of the Sith has an inflation adjusted gross of $494.8 million from an actual gross of $380.3 million for its entire domestic run.

Overseas, Star Wars: The Force Awakens took in an estimated $20.0 million on Thursday. The film has now grossed $422.4 million overseas and $813.5 million globally.

do you guys think they'll make a sequel

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't even think it will turn a profit, to be honest.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I don't even think it will turn a profit, to be honest.

Due to creative accounting, I don't think any Hollywood movie has ever been recorded as profitable.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I finally saw this today and loved it despite having to see it in 3D on a small screen with the sound turned way too low, making it seem small and all the ships look like toys.

So to sum up this movie ruled and 3D needs to go away forever. I will be seeing it again properly asap.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If you're in a properly calibrated theater, the 3D conversion on TFA is pretty good. Inoffensive at its worst.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
2d IMAX is still the best way to see it, though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My 3D experience was weird because we were all up in the front row which is not ideal, but even then it was pleasant and I was surprised at how it didn't seem any less bright or colorful than the 2D experience.

Doesn't add much in the end, though.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Pierson posted:

I want a name for this Stormtrooper who just throws aside his weapons like he's in Power Rangers and goes up against a lightsaber 100% no fear where's his Wookiepedia article already.

:lol: i found it: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unidentified_riot_control_stormtrooper

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

He's clearly deader than Bobby Fetts but I like how they're keeping open the possibility for future appearances in lovely novels or whatever

Return of FN-1337: The Revengening

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Krowley posted:

He's clearly deader than Bobby Fetts but I like how they're keeping open the possibility for future appearances in lovely novels or whatever

Return of FN-1337: The Revengening

He could be like a bounty hunter or something, except he exclusively goes after TTRRRAAAAIIIITTTOOOOORRRRRRSSSSS!

As his spin off novels go on, his justifications become more and more flimsy. "That janitor didn't sanitize the bathroom on the Starkiller properly! The toilets literally weren't shining! He's a traitor and deserves to die!"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Expect several books dedicated to TR-8R.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm going to be on a buddy story starring Captain Phasma and Riot Baton Stormtrooper where they have amazing onscreen adventures and possibly steal the Death Star plans in a plot involving time travel.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

jivjov posted:

If you're in a properly calibrated theater, the 3D conversion on TFA is pretty good. Inoffensive at its worst.

I hardly noticed to be honest. Which was nice, because I got to see it in IMAX and the only inconvenience was the slightly uncomfortable glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

bad day posted:

2d IMAX is still the best way to see it, though.

Huh, I thought all of the IMAX showings were 3D.

• Locked thread