Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Bluemillion posted:

I just bought seven stash tabs after two years of making do with four.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExEjXLMd4VA

I have like 15, I honestly have no clue how people make do with 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

vOv posted:

I have like 15, I honestly have no clue how people make do with 4.

I have like 26? now, and while I used them all at one point I've gotten much better about not hoarding stuff of dubious value in temp leagues, so now I'm down to using like, 9-12 in a 3 month. I really need to set auto buyouts on tabs again this league so I can make better use of what I have and spend less time sorting and pricing poo poo.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hauki posted:

I have like 26? now, and while I used them all at one point I've gotten much better about not hoarding stuff of dubious value in temp leagues, so now I'm down to using like, 9-12 in a 3 month. I really need to set auto buyouts on tabs again this league so I can make better use of what I have and spend less time sorting and pricing poo poo.

And here I am buying more tabs when I have 60.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.
http://oddshot.tv/shot/raizqt-20151225222012516

Yup

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Holyshoot posted:

Lmao

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Holyshoot posted:

"and this is my tab for level 3 reckoning gems with zero quality. And this is my tab for level 4 riposte with quality at least twelve"

An item for every man and a tab for every item.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So decided to finally give this a try again. Went with the Hunter this time, because why not, I've never played a Ranged character.

Immediately enjoying the class far more then Templar/Marauder which I played before. Her entire skill point section is all about ranged damage/ranged speed/evasion. I can understand all of this. Play for about an hour or so, get to the Mud Flats....

And then I start lagging like a motherfucker. Unplayable lag that cuts off animations, makes enemies desync, etc etc. I clear the area, assuming it'll clear up. Nope! Go into the Fetid Pool, see if that fixes it. Nope! After about 15-30 minutes of fighting utter poo poo gameplay thanks to the lag, I turn off the game to check and see if it was on my end. Nope! Not downloading anything, and when I log back in, it's still a hot mess. I ask in chat, and get told it just happens sometimes, you basically just need to wait it out. After waiting another 20 or so minutes, I give up.

This can't be normal right? Is there a way to just play the game offline so I don't have to deal with this?

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
I have never experienced that while playing poe.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Rookersh posted:

Is there a way to just play the game offline
No.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I've never had that issue. The only thing I can suggest is switching to a different gateway.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've been playing since closed beta and the number of times I've had connection issues like that can be counted on one hand with fingers left over.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Figured it out.

My internet is a bit flaky ( not terrible, but it'll cycle from 50-100ms pretty frequently ). Since the ingame option was set to auto, whenever I entered a zone it choose which network option to use based on my latency at the time. When I started the game into the first zone, it stayed Predictive, which meant it had light desync issues, but nothing terrible/noticeable. But when I entered the Mud Flats, my latency was below 40-50ish, so it thought it'd be a good idea to set me as lockstep for that zone. When my latency jumped back to 100ms, everything got hosed real bad, and it couldn't switch back unless I was willing to leave the zone.

I've now set my network to Predictive only, and also found a macro that forces the game to fix desync if it's not due to forces outside of the games control. Haven't had any more problems.

Since I figured that out, anyone got any good new player tips? Like I spy a hell of a lot of Evasion stuff/Bow stuff around the Ranger's starting point on the tree. Am I going to get hurt too badly if I just go around collecting all those buffs?

Actually, better question. According to the OP/a quick look at the tree, most builds are going to be dependent on the larger nodes that seem to change a lot of stuff. Is there a good list of them all, where they are, and what ones work best for certain classes?

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Rookersh posted:

Actually, better question. According to the OP/a quick look at the tree, most builds are going to be dependent on the larger nodes that seem to change a lot of stuff. Is there a good list of them all, where they are, and what ones work best for certain classes?

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Passive_skill is a useful overview and links to the complete list of notables: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Category:Notable_passive_skills

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
The wiki sadly doesn't give a sense of where the notables are. Since a lot of the skill tree choice is based on being efficient with pathing, it's not too great.

Here is a skill tree builder, seems up to date.

Roughly speaking, the keystones and notables at the edges do funky, build-defining things, whilst the notables in each class area give a lot of stats for very cheap.

Your main choices, roughly, are:

- defense, are you going with armour only (path to Iron Reflexes, near the south. May also want to pick up Unwavering Stance across), or armour/evasion, or evasion only (Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics are efficiently cheap)

- offense: ranger is divided between one-hander melee or bows. With most bow setups, you can't block, so don't worry about block for now. With physical or physical-to-elemental-conversion bow skills, the main decision to make are whether to go for critical strike (lots in the ranger area, including knockback with King of the Hill near the south, the Lethality ball in the corner, and the the Shadow starting area further up north). Without critical strike, you would probably instead want to path to Resolute Technique and Iron Grip. Flat elemental bow builds are different, I don't know enough about them to advise.

- these choices are subject to the main constraint of having to pick up a lot of %increased maximum life from the tree. This is part where just picking up notables here and there will hurt - you won't travel near enough %life nodes. A lot of juicy stuff like %accuracy or %attack speed or even %physical damage have to be automatically passed over just because it won't get you near to enough %life groups. This is particularly important for the entire eastern side of the tree, where the life passives are split into small, distant groups. You will not go too badly wrong if you picked your main keystones notables, then typed "increased maximum life" into the tree builder and tried to path next to all the life near your desired notables.

ronya fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 26, 2015

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I've just started a Ranger as my return character too. Going for a bow build, and sticking with this one I think.

http://poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tr..._zF_h3-uv7I_94=

Build info itself is here, but it's a nice versatile build that allows you to use any number of skills depending on what you like and your play style.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1041989

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

In general you want... maybe 160-180% increased life for an end-game capable build. More than that if you're playing hardcore, maybe.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Oh, yeah. If you plan to just run about in Cruel with wild abandon, then yea, anything goes. Take all the damage.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Rookersh posted:

Play for about an hour or so, get to the Mud Flats....
My lord

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gibbo posted:

"and this is my tab for level 3 reckoning gems with zero quality. And this is my tab for level 4 riposte with quality at least twelve"

An item for every man and a tab for every item.

Nah. More like 7 tabs to throw all my loot from maps so I don't have to stop and sort everytime I go back to town. The the following

C1- alts,Augs,trans,armor quality things,Whetstone,chance orbs
C2 - chromes,jewelers,fusings 4 columns for each one
C3- chaos,other expensive currency,the divine cards
Flk - dump my quality flasks to do a bunch at once for baubles
Tal- talismans
Gi - good items or random items I might use on dudes I'm playing or the diff resist flasks for them.
Ic - identified chaos recipie
Uc- unidentified chaos recipie
Ir- identified regal recipie
Ur- unidentified regal recipie
Jewels - for Jewels
U1- uniques
U2-uniques
Cmp - alchs and chisels and aztari sets and maps I want to run for that session
T1-3 - tier 1-3 maps
T4-6 - tier 4-6 maps
T7-9
T10-12
T13-15
Red active gems
Green active gems
Blue active gems
Support gems
Leveled gems
Quality gems
H1 - hammers
Hr - hammers ready to convert to chisels
Occy - occulist white chests
Aa - agate amys to chance
Hh - head hunter leather white belts
$$$ - stuff I need to price check to sell
Rnd - anything selling above my chaos specified tabs
(these are my tabs for selling stuff)
10 alts
5 alts
1fusing
2fusing
1c - 1 chaos
2c
Etc up to 8c

And that's about it. I know it looks spergy autist but a lot of it let's me procrastinate on doing stuff with the items like the hammers tab and whites tabs. I could probably pair down the gems tab into one for all 3 colors and combine support into them. Which would give me more tabs to dump map loot into. But basically I like my poo poo somewhat orangized even though I'm lazy.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Hey if I had the money to spend on the tabs on I'd do something similar and probably more poorly organized.

Still just funny in comparison to people who are like "I'm fine with six tabs" :colbert:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All I need is a currency tab, a leveling tab, a non-leveling uniques tab, and then after that every tab gradually gets filled with tons of skill gems that I can't buy on whatever character I was playing that month. You know, just in case I need them.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

I have 14 tabs and it's not enough.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
the challenge league guild stash is great for that

or at least I guess the intention is for it to be great for that? All the skill gems I see that have plausibly common use go into the gstash

the standard gstash, though...

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
What is this about desync fixed. I haven't played since act 3 had come out but no more desync would get me back for a bit of a grind

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Usenet Magic-User posted:

What is this about desync fixed. I haven't played since act 3 had come out but no more desync would get me back for a bit of a grind

You can now choose a separate sync algorithm (deterministic lockstep), which completely eliminates desync. The trade-off is having a constant input lag according to your ping to the server. If your connection is stable around 50ms, you're golden.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 26, 2015

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Wat's the recipie for The Goddess Unleashed?

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Man Blasphemy + Warlord's Mark is extremely strong. My friends are all running vastly different builds and yet all of us are relying on this defensive combination.

I get the feeling this is going to be addressed in a balance pass at some point because it seems too good not to use unless its somehow not feasible with your build.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SweetBro posted:

Wat's the recipie for The Goddess Unleashed?

No one knows. It'll probably be a while to figure it out since it doesn't look good to use.

You have to decipher this nonsense.

THE RIDDLE TO UNLEASH
Three to wield, pure and fine,
Eclipse eternal to align
Exquisite full and true.

Three to save, risk reward,
Two exalt and one encored,
Counting all in equal due.

Three to help, each matured,
All beloved by the third,
All imperfect sums of two.

Kild fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 26, 2015

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

The Goddess Unleashed is so unfortunate. It had a lot of interactions but the designer decided that those didn't fit his idea for the item and now it doesn't look very good at all.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Now that my first character is up to mid level maps, the first time I have ever tried mapping, I've been toying with the idea of a new character. I'd like to play something tanky and melee, maybe with a shield, and I just found a belly of the beast. Any suggestions on fun build that are enabled by that? I can afford an exalt or two of other equipment if needed, but cheaper would be nicer obviously.

Someone suggested point blank blast rain, but I'm not sure I want another bow build, how much difference to the play style does point blank make?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Belly is good for certain setups but isn't build-defining.

The obvious suggestion is to sell the Belly for a exalt, then use your 1.5+ exalts to buy a Bino's and go to town for as long poison is still broken.

I'm curious about The Goddess Unleashed. What did it have during development?

J
Jun 10, 2001

amazeballs posted:

Man Blasphemy + Warlord's Mark is extremely strong. My friends are all running vastly different builds and yet all of us are relying on this defensive combination.

I get the feeling this is going to be addressed in a balance pass at some point because it seems too good not to use unless its somehow not feasible with your build.

Well, 35% mana reserved and a curse slot is a pretty significant investment. It ought to be good. Plus curse immunity is a very common map mod. I'm not too concerned about them nerfing it, but who knows.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

bakka bakka posted:

The Goddess Unleashed is so unfortunate. It had a lot of interactions but the designer decided that those didn't fit his idea for the item and now it doesn't look very good at all.

Instead he made several mediocre leveling items with weird restrictions, requiring a bizarre and (for its limited use) expensive recipe including a preposterously rare unique to start the whole thing off. Is it still in the same drop frequency as like, shav's or whatever? I've had three of the fuckers to my 0 lifetime shav's.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Phine posting so I can't double check but the mined info from beta showed an actual one-hand weapon (like the others it now uses both slots, but I believe can be six-socketed) and instead of applying a unique mod on ignite (Her Blessing, 33% max hp as dot) it would just ignite you (possibly also make you immune to ignites for a duration). There are a lot of ways to make use of igniting yourself, hot-footed and mokuo's embrace come to mind, but there will almost surely be no way to ever make use of Her Blessing. Also it talks but if it's anything like Jack, The Axe you'll learn to hate it very quickly.

The Goddess Bound is still of a very silly rarity but it has no value and a card you can farm from Hillock. Not that anyone cares.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

bakka bakka posted:

Phine posting so I can't double check but the mined info from beta showed an actual one-hand weapon (like the others it now uses both slots, but I believe can be six-socketed) and instead of applying a unique mod on ignite (Her Blessing, 33% max hp as dot) it would just ignite you (possibly also make you immune to ignites for a duration). There are a lot of ways to make use of igniting yourself, hot-footed and mokuo's embrace come to mind, but there will almost surely be no way to ever make use of Her Blessing. Also it talks but if it's anything like Jack, The Axe you'll learn to hate it very quickly.

The Goddess Bound is still of a very silly rarity but it has no value and a card you can farm from Hillock. Not that anyone cares.

I remember either the creator of godess or of jack got really butthurt about the other one having a talking weapon too.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Charan made the goddess uniques, and he's well known for whining about anything, including the cameria trollnir unique, so it was probably him.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

It might have been the other guy. When last I saw, Charan was a fan of Jack the Axe.

I don't know if he just came around on it or what, but he tends to be fairly outspoken about people who have purchased unique items getting as much out of GGG as possible.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Haha, grats for making a lovely riddle no one wants to answer because the item is garbage tier crap. I almost feel sorry for Charan, imagine what he'd be like IRL. Insufferable.

He talks like that guy at the party who tries to be the center of attention except they're skinpeelingly annoying and utterly insufferable.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

bakka bakka posted:

What do you mean you don't like an item that has all the worst parts of both a 1her and a 2her and the only benefit is a poo poo version of RF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deftest
May 7, 2011
Is there a race season currently going on?

On their site, I see the items displayed with the usual point-o-meter. But I don't see the calendar... Is there something buggy with my browser? Or are there no current events scheduled and they still keep text like "See calendar below!" ?

• Locked thread