Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Louisgod posted:

You can't, enjoy trying to listen to dialogue in cutscenes while nonsensical Engrish is sung over blaring choruses. It's really stupid.

Your mistake is trying to listen to the dialogue instead of mashing the skip cutscene button on any scene that has a controllable camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dr. Stab posted:

Does this game not have audio options or something? How do I turn this music down?

Turn on subtitles and get mad at whoever was in charge of sound mixing

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I'm definitely not looking forward to spending the next 300 hours listening to the same lovely songs over and over that I've already gotten tired of.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Emalde posted:

More like the biggest problem is the 4-5 hour battery life :negative:

I'm near a socket. :smug: I have a bigger problem with the fonts being illegible.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Inflammatory posted:

i went straight to enforcer and blast fencer. fight me.

That's what I did. Maxed Galactic Knight or whatever ASAP. The saber stomps.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The sound mix is pretty genuinely bad but I will say that muting the songs would run into the issue of "A Tyrant joined the fight and I had no idea." I'm not sure how you can overcome that though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Black Balloon posted:

That's what I did. Maxed Galactic Knight or whatever ASAP. The saber stomps.

Photon saber is so loving good

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

Your mistake is trying to listen to the dialogue instead of mashing the skip cutscene button on any scene that has a controllable camera.

I've had it happen in other cut scenes too. Also, I'm trying really hard to enjoy what plot the game has and any cut scene with mustache man is worth listening to.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

I'm definitely not looking forward to spending the next 300 hours listening to the same lovely songs over and over that I've already gotten tired of.

That sounds like a personal problem, because the music owns, actually.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

ImpAtom posted:

True but I just spent those scenes spinning the camera and enjoying the cool blur effect they added.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

That sounds like a personal problem, because the music owns, actually.

Just like our dreams they gotta be free, so anyway let's move on.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Just like our dreams they gotta be free, so anyway let's move on.

This song is really great when you actually spend a few minutes flying over a continent, less so when you're stoping and starting grabbing treasure caches and probe sites

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I heard the flying song stop and start so often that sometimes my mind would just substitute it with Tails lovely song from sonic adventure

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

These level 50 skells sure ain't cheap but boy howdy is it nice putting that Phoenix to use.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just bought this game, and I have not played the original Xenoblade Chronicles, is there anything I should know before getting into this?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

I just bought this game, and I have not played the original Xenoblade Chronicles, is there anything I should know before getting into this?

Besides reading the manual being very important to understanding a ton of the combat systems, nope.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

BillmasterCozb posted:

The only thing these two games share is the name and the Nopon race. There are a couple vague references but they're just things like Lin's Monado hair clips. You're good to play.

chumbler posted:

Besides reading the manual being very important to understanding a ton of the combat systems, nope.

Oh, and do that too. This game is incredibly dense and does very little to help you understand any of the mechanics.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Loot like this is the reason I built a murder Mastema. The fight is over in seconds but it takes at least 5 minutes to get 3000 overdrive with the garbage weapons I put on it that's only there for the attribute phys damage.
Edit: Huge discovery, you can equip different weapons then switch back without losing any GP. That makes the Overdrive grinding way easier.

Dastardly fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 26, 2015

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

I'm about 70 hours into this game, haven't even gotten to the Lv. 50 Skell frames and I keep thinking: "After I'm done with this I really want to replay Xenoblade Chronicles". There goes my gaming time for the next few months.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dastardly posted:

Loot like this is the reason I built a murder Mastema. The fight is over in seconds but it takes at least 5 minutes to get 3000 overdrive with the garbage weapons I put on it that's only there for the attribute phys damage.
Edit: Huge discovery, you can equip different weapons then switch back without losing any GP. That makes the Overdrive grinding way easier.

Could you invest in the "build GP when you enter skell in Overdrive" skill? It takes like 10 seconds to get Overdrive on foot.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dastardly posted:

Loot like this is the reason I built a murder Mastema.

Are you just using the Kouli build? How long did it take to grind the augs up?

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Are you just using the Kouli build? How long did it take to grind the augs up?

Basically yeah, it didn't take too long since Yggralith was up so I could grind tickets. Most of the tickets went into upgrading the attribute phys traits on the Amdusias armor and weapons.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So Bastion warrior is definitely the worst type, right?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Chapter 12:
I punched Lao so hard with my Skell that he didn't get to drain my fuel.

Get rekt Lao.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

Just spent a lot time throwing myself at this monster Alexa wanted me to test the Ramjet Rifle on. The thing that kept killing me was the buff it got when it's close to dying that damages anyone who hurts it, there are probably other monsters that can do this so what's the best way to deal with it?

Pro-tip for those kinds of quests; give the weapon to someone else in the party and bring your Skell. Let them tap the critter with a few attacks, then smash its brains out with your Skell weapons.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

Chapter 12:
I punched Lao so hard with my Skell that he didn't get to drain my fuel.

Get rekt Lao.

I wish I could have managed that. Instead I had to take the level down option.

Edit:
I'm a little confused by the ending
Were the destroyed files just the ones for the active mimesomes, or was it for everything stored in the lifehold? Because if it's just the active ones, that's makes the rest of the game even more messed up, but if it was for everything in the lifehold it's just like, holy poo poo, that's a pretty horrific ending.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 27, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

I wish I could have managed that. Instead I had to take the level down option.

Edit:
I'm a little confused by the ending
Were the destroyed files just the ones for the active mimesomes, or was it for everything stored in the lifehold? Because if it's just the active ones, that's makes the rest of the game even more messed up, but if it was for everything in the lifehold it's just like, holy poo poo, that's a pretty horrific ending.

No all the genetic code is fine, it's the brains. Somehow the brains shouldn't be working because everyone's emulated brains are gone and have been gone for months.

It could also mean that everyone's brains are currently in their mimeosomes, so if someone dies, they are dead dead as there is no backup.

Now do yelv's quests.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

No all the genetic code is fine, it's the brains. Somehow the brains shouldn't be working because everyone's emulated brains are gone and have been gone for months.

It could also mean that everyone's brains are currently in their mimeosomes, so if someone dies, they are dead dead as there is no backup.

Now do yelv's quests.

No, what I was asking was were the brains that were destroyed just the active mimeosomes, or was it also the brains of the other two million people that were on board the White Whale?

I'd already done Yelv's second quest, and he was there in the final battle with me. And then he was with Elma in the post credit scene :smith:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

No, what I was asking was were the brains that were destroyed just the active mimeosomes, or was it also the brains of the other two million people that were on board the White Whale?

I'd already done Yelv's second quest, and he was there in the final battle with me. And then he was with Elma in the post credit scene :smith:

No idea. It's never clarified. I'm assuming everyone.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Speaking of, anyone else think it kinda odd that a DLC character shows up in a pre-rendered cutscene? And they were in that SUPER HAPPY PRE-CREDITS DRIVING LIN scene too. Pretty weird decision there, Monolith!

That wasn't pre-rendered, I don't think. They were added in after the fact. They do use higher assets than in cutscenes, which is dumb

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 27, 2015

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

TurnipFritter posted:

Speaking of, anyone else think it kinda odd that a DLC character shows up in a pre-rendered cutscene? And they were in that SUPER HAPPY PRE-CREDITS DRIVING LIN scene too. Pretty weird decision there, Monolith!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

I assume it was to make people want to buy the DLC. Like, you see these characters and they want you to be like "Ok but who the hell was that what was their story?"

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Improbable Lobster posted:

Photon saber is so loving good

What arts are you using? What makes you love it?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

5er posted:

What arts are you using? What makes you love it?

the ones where you hit the guys with the lightsaber, and it's a lightsaber.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Agreed. Photon saber is super cool. I just wish it wasn't trashgarbage at generating TP.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Use that front-facing art and augments to build light saber TP. You can also use Essence Exchange or the Ramjet.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

I have a system going where I have the skill that gives me TP when I use an ability and the one where abilities that trigger melee combos start half cooled down with some cooldown reducer mods and I just spam all my melee arts over and over for TP. It's just you're kind of forced to rig up a way to generate TP if you're using the photon saber if you want any reasonable amount to work with as the highest one I've seen is 50 per hit compared to the like, 250 that longswords have.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Lightsabers are pretty brisk for TP generation but with the one that that generates it from the front and having 4 or 5 skill slots you usually have a utility choice or two and can take one that gives you some extra TP on art use to get into infinite overdrive territory without TP on art use weapon mods.

A bigger issue is the developers seemed to say gently caress balance because its really easy and straightforward to turn longswords into a potential blender with Offensive Stance and their base attack from being even slower auto attacks, and well documented level 60 katana drops. Lightsaber auras are a little more gimmicky but I bet furtive ground for one of those mirror everything builds, but that's a little weirder than just stacking potential.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I dunno, while the easiest most braindead game winning build is Ghost Blossom Dancer with stacked Potential, I've seen Japanese videos of people beating all sorts of poo poo with all sorts of builds. Really, the only weapon that seems hopeless as a primary damage dealer is assault rifles. Even knives seem to have some surprising gimmick potential with black butterfly and a heavy debuff build.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zedprime posted:

Lightsabers are pretty brisk for TP generation but with the one that that generates it from the front and having 4 or 5 skill slots you usually have a utility choice or two and can take one that gives you some extra TP on art use to get into infinite overdrive territory without TP on art use weapon mods.

A bigger issue is the developers seemed to say gently caress balance because its really easy and straightforward to turn longswords into a potential blender with Offensive Stance and their base attack from being even slower auto attacks, and well documented level 60 katana drops. Lightsaber auras are a little more gimmicky but I bet furtive ground for one of those mirror everything builds, but that's a little weirder than just stacking potential.

Offensive Stance can go sideways with a decent hit to your HP though. You take more damage as well and dealing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Offensive Stance can go sideways with a decent hit to your HP though. You take more damage as well and dealing it.
...take...damage?

A post game build is defined by its method of avoiding damage, which is usually Ghost Walker.

Before that you can just take what sounds cool because there isn't a huge need to break the game in half during story or normal missions.

• Locked thread