Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Spatula City posted:

You have a jaundiced view of the justice system and the duties of an attorney. Every defendant has the right to an attorney who will work for their interests, and generally those interests are "not going to jail". It's the job of a defense attorney in that circumstance to try to get their client acquitted. If they succeed, the onus should be on the prosecutors for failing to convict someone that committed a crime, not the defense lawyer who did what they were hired to do. It's easy to bash defense attorneys as soulless assholes, but not remotely fair, and to argue Clinton shouldn't have taken guilty clients as a defense attorney is patently absurd. I mean, if you look at it a certain way, you're criticizing Clinton for not pulling a Kim Davis. That is, not refusing to do aspects of her job for moral reasons.

also Clinton being such a skilled defense attorney is totally a selling point on her qualifications to be president, not a disqualifier.

It's not leadership to exclaim 'I was just doing my job' when your job results in an immoral, if ethical, outcome. Leadership is admitting to past mistakes and making appropriate restitution. If we cannot trust Hillary to pay hush money to a victim of rape, who can we expect Hillary to pay hush money?

I think it may be appropriate for Congress to appoint a special prosecutor to examine whether Clinton engaged in any immoral legal practices during her time as a practicing attorney, and to see if any of the individuals she defended went on to commit further crimes.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If the person was acquitted, is there now permissible evidence that they were guilty? Did something new come to light since the trial?

(Someone who committed a crime -- assuming some omniscient observer can tell us that's the case -- going free because law enforcement broke the rules is a morally fine outcome. It is vastly preferable to someone being convicted in the context of missteps by the vastly-more-powerful Justice System.)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Well if the rapist hadn't died in the 90s, maybe?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don't think dying is generally seen as a sign of guilt.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Subjunctive posted:

If the person was acquitted, is there now permissible evidence that they were guilty? Did something new come to light since the trial?

(Someone who committed a crime -- assuming some omniscient observer can tell us that's the case -- going free because law enforcement broke the rules is a morally fine outcome. It is vastly preferable to someone being convicted in the context of missteps by the vastly-more-powerful Justice System.)

The point isn't whether the rapist is criminally guilty in a court of law, its to build a narrative that Hillary treats rapist with a light touch. After all, she's remained married to an accused serial rapist for how many years?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Oh sorry, I was referring to the permissibility of a retrial against a dead guy, not his guilt.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My Imaginary GF posted:

The point isn't whether the rapist is criminally guilty in a court of law, its to build a narrative that Hillary treats rapist with a light touch. After all, she's remained married to an accused serial rapist for how many years?

Then what immoral outcome are you saying she celebrated? Are you using some other reliable definition of guilt? I don't see how doing her job as a defense attorney -- avoiding disbarment, which I'm sure would be a great narrative -- is treating someone with a light touch. (An accused and acquitted rapist, mind.)

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Stop replying to MIGF you morons

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

botany posted:

Sorry, I'm new.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Subjunctive posted:

Then what immoral outcome are you saying she celebrated? Are you using some other reliable definition of guilt? I don't see how doing her job as a defense attorney -- avoiding disbarment, which I'm sure would be a great narrative -- is treating someone with a light touch. (An accused and acquitted rapist, mind.)

Hillary did her job as an attorney, just as she did her job as a wife while First Lady: she stood by her man. Unfortunately for her, she chooses to stand by guilty men until they're able to get off.

Most Americans aren't attorneys and don't care about whether you're obligated to represent a child rapist as a client. Most Americans do care about things which can connect with them, and boasting about defending a child rapist is a turnoff for the vast majority of Americans outside the legal profession. If a sufficient narrative can be built to take away 3 points of women's turnout for Hillary, that could be the election, so why not advance the narrative as much as possible?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

botany posted:

Who do we have to bribe/blackmail to get this set as the thread title? Not that it'll do any good.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

D&D/RSF is a lot better if you put MIGF and a cop on ignore, FYI

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

This seems like a positive thing:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/23/the-feds-just-shut-down-a-huge-program-that-lets-cops-take-your-stuff-and-keep-it/

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

quote:

The DOJ is suspending payments under this program due to budget cuts included in the recent spending bill.

Would've been nice if the reason was "this is awful and incredibly prone to abuse," and not "we, the beast, have been starved."

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Carrasco posted:

Would've been nice if the reason was "this is awful and incredibly prone to abuse," and not "we, the beast, have been starved."

Yeah, but a good thing for a bad reason is still a good thing right?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Today in CNN is Garbage.

https://twitter.com/ICUDrEd/status/680881093411758080

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

i mean it is true, technically

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

blue squares posted:

D&D/RSF is a lot better if you put MIGF and a cop on ignore, FYI

a cop let's his guard and the trolling down some times and actually says reasonable things, so I like to think he gets a pass. Plus I can't never not smile at his avatar. It's the happiest drat cop, like he just shot someone :buddy:

MIGF is just insufferable though, and I don't know how people haven't caught on to his gimmick yet.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

hangedman1984 posted:

Yeah, but a good thing for a bad reason is still a good thing right?

Mostly, except going by the end of the article it sounds like the DOJ wants to restore it the second they get their budget restored.

In different circumstances, I'd be worried about the GOP campaigning on "look, spending cuts ended this abusive big government practice!" But with cops complaining there's no way they'll go for that.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's not leadership to exclaim 'I was just doing my job' when your job results in an immoral, if ethical, outcome. Leadership is admitting to past mistakes and making appropriate restitution. If we cannot trust Hillary to pay hush money to a victim of rape, who can we expect Hillary to pay hush money?

I think it may be appropriate for Congress to appoint a special prosecutor to examine whether Clinton engaged in any immoral legal practices during her time as a practicing attorney, and to see if any of the individuals she defended went on to commit further crimes.

Why not have Congress do it themselves, it's not like they have anything better to do.

:rolleyes:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thump! posted:

a cop let's his guard and the trolling down some times and actually says reasonable things, so I like to think he gets a pass

90% of his posting is sycophantic Trump worship. I don't care if it is honest or not. Luckily none of his posts are funny or interesting, so no one bothers quoting him as they do with every MIGF post.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Moktaro posted:

Why not have Congress do it themselves, it's not like they have anything better to do.

:rolleyes:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/12/congresss-surprisingly-productive-year/421314/

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Holy poo poo ya'll, Ta-Nehisi Coates weighed in on Star Wars The Force Awakens:
http://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2015/12/star-wars-and-the-benefit-of-low-expecatations/421593/

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Thank god I have the official correct opinion to share now.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

blue squares posted:

Holy poo poo ya'll, Ta-Nehisi Coates weighed in on Star Wars The Force Awakens:
http://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2015/12/star-wars-and-the-benefit-of-low-expecatations/421593/

As much as people poo poo on JJ Abrams, dude is pretty good at saving floundering sci-fi franchises.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Raskolnikov38 posted:

As much as people poo poo on JJ Abrams, dude is pretty good at saving floundering sci-fi franchises.

he did not save star trek though.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If by "saving" star trek you mean "turning it into an Avengers-type blow-em-up summer popcorn flick franchise to which the bros shall flock and the studios shall swim in $$$$" I guess.

As opposed to, you know, making the god drat DS9 movie like they should have ages ago.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Defenestration posted:

If by "saving" star trek you mean "turning it into an Avengers-type blow-em-up summer popcorn flick franchise to which the bros shall flock and the studios shall swim in $$$$" I guess.

As opposed to, you know, making the god drat DS9 movie like they should have ages ago.

Shut up nerd

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Defenestration posted:

DS9 wrapped up really well and it's better they didn't take a giant Generations poo poo on the show afterwards.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

Defenestration posted:

Nemesis

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

From a revenue standpoint perhaps.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Freakazoid_ posted:

He turned it into sci-fi action instead of space opera saving it as a result.

I'd beat up a white nationalist if it got us a new series in TNG style though.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Star Trek The JJ Abrams Movie 2 was vile in a way that reminded me of what I find vile in American politics, and by the end I was cheering for the death of the federation. An Accelerationist Film.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Doc Hawkins posted:

Star Trek The JJ Abrams Movie 2 was vile in a way that reminded me of what I find vile in American politics, and by the end I was cheering for the death of the federation. An Accelerationist Film.

Did you not watch The Undiscovered Country? It was literally that with KHAAAAAAN.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

DemeaninDemon posted:

Did you not watch The Undiscovered Country? It was literally that with KHAAAAAAN.

Are you thinking of a different movie? The Undiscovered Country was basically End of the Cold War: The Movie.

Edit- in SPAAAAAACE

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

You mean "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan"...? :raise:

Edit: Oh, you mean that the re-boot #2 was Star Trek VI with Khan - nevermind.

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 27, 2015

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The conspiracy part where some jerk wants the federation to take over the galaxy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Defenestration posted:

The TNG films did that like 20 years before Into Darkness did.

Paradoxish posted:

Are you thinking of a different movie? The Undiscovered Country was basically End of the Cold War: The Movie.

Edit- in SPAAAAAACE

He's saying Into Darkness is Star Trek 6 + Khan.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Paradoxish posted:

Edit- in SPAAAAAACE

Fond memories of ra3 Tim Curry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I enjoyed the heck out of Into Darkness as an action flick. It's not old trek. Old Trek went away to the Celestial Temple with Sisko.

• Locked thread