Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Terrible Horse posted:

The worst star wars name, and there are a lot of them, is "Shmee" which sounds like it was made up by a very uncreative person put on the spot

It's "Shmi." It's derived from "Lakshmi".

Lakshmi is also called "Padma," which is where the name "Padme" comes from.

The implication being that (from Anakin's perspective at least) Shmi and Padme are merely two different aspects of the same goddess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Luke and Hans

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Ape of Naples posted:

Snoke is a terrible name.

In what quantifiable and objective way is "Snoke" any different than "Jabba", "Yoda" or any other Star Wars name?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

In what quantifiable and objective way is "Snoke" any different than "Jabba", "Yoda" or any other Star Wars name?

Snoke does sound more like some outdated slang for drug use than either of those.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

jivjov posted:

Yoda has a ring to it and doesn't sound like garbage.

Jabba is a comedic villain.

Imagine if we had Darth Snoke instead of Vader. I imagine you would be fine with that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Stumpus posted:

Imagine if we had Darth Snoke instead of Vader. I imagine you would be fine with that.

Snoke isn't the Vader analogue though, he's the Sheev analogue

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Stumpus posted:

It's just a name. If the character we know as Vader had been named Snoke, that would have been fine. Wouldn't have changed the character any.

And Snoke has just as much of a "ring" as Yoda.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Snoke will obviously have a "sinister English word with the first syllable cut off" name like all the other Siths. Star Wars evil people always have dumb birth names.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Snoke isn't the Vader analogue though, he's the Sheev analogue

Snoke is to Smoke as Sheev is to Steve.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Boba Fett is also a stupid name. As is Grand Moff Tarkin and Admiral Ackbar. The Star Wars universe has some really dumb names and that is fine.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just hate it. Maybe it sounds too much like smoke. Maybe because it sounds like a Harry Potter character. Maybe because it's one syllable. "Snokul" or Snokor". I dunno.

punchymcpunch posted:

Snoke will obviously have a "sinister English word with the first syllable cut off" name like all the other Siths. Star Wars evil people always have dumb birth names.

Snoke is to Smoke as Sheev is to Steve.

The Darth names aren great either. Too on the nose. Maybe I'd prefer Darth Snoke better even though he isn't a Darth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dooku.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Shoulda called him "Duke Countu."

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Names like "Darth Maul", "Darth Tyranus", and "Darth Sidious" could not be more evilly on the noise.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Based off of Adooku, which is gungan for "drowns mandalorian babies"

Personally, I'm hoping Kylo Ren eventually adopts Darth Atricide

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Darth McGeddon

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

"Palpatine"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

frackie=smackie=junkie=homeless

are you posting from a public library? do you need some help?

You don't think the evil deceiver character having a name that's one letter away from "Snake" is in any way significant?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Frackie Robinson posted:

You don't think the evil deceiver character having a name that's one letter away from "Snake" is in any way significant?

Probably less significant than it sounding like "Smoke," dawg.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

El Burbo posted:

"Palpatine"

Aka Paul Saltines

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yes, it's so much worse than a name that's just invader with the in chopped off. Or a white guy wizard with a Japanese name.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd prefer if his name was just Smoke. Who cares if it's too on the nose, it's Star Wars!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Augus posted:

Savage Opress is the best Star Wars name

Never forget.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Snoke is the past tense passive form of 'sneak' btw, it means that he is sneaky.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What does "smoke" reveal about his character? That he's all smoke and mirrors? It had just never occurred to me, I thought "Snake" from the get go.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Frackie Robinson posted:

What does "smoke" reveal about his character? Not saying it's wrong, it had just never occurred to me. I thought "Snake" from the get go.

I mean, he's an illusion- a hologram, distorted in size. He even looks like he's made of smoke. I think it's there to represent his status as a false villain.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I really want him to be an actual giant though.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
i think its supposed to rhyme with toke and when we meet him for real in the next movie he's gonna be in the back of a VW van teaching Kylo how to tie dye his robes to complete his training.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mazreal posted:

i think its supposed to rhyme with toke and when we meet him for real in the next movie he's gonna be in the back of a VW van teaching Kylo how to tie dye his robes to complete his training.

Just like his predecessor

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ferrinus posted:

It would be cool if he was taller than his hologram, and shrinking down.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Effectronica posted:

It would be cool if he was taller than his hologram, and shrinking down.

He should be the one boss in each Souls game that's just a lovely boring environment puzzle where you chop down all the pillars while dodging fireballs or whatever.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

No, he should definitely be Gollum-sized at best.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

No, he should definitely be Gollum-sized at best.

He's gonna be tiny. He's got to be the anti-Yoda of the darkside.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

speng31b posted:

He's gonna be tiny. He's got to be the anti-Yoda of the darkside.

"What if Yoda... was evil!" seems pretty plausible, especially since they can contrast Yoda saying not to judge by one's size to Snoke demanding his hologram be 90 feet tall.

It would also fit with the First Order's current impression of being intimidating on the surface but kind of pathetic beneath.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Back to namechat, I just want to point out that in the old thread, I made a sincere joke that since a lot of background characters' names aren't spoken in the movies and are revealed on their toys they should name a character "Toy" and them someone pointed out to me that there was a pod racer named Toy back in Phantom Menace.

Point being, Snoke is rather clever.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'll be very surprised if Snoke doesn't get completely owned (probably by Kylo Ren) before the final act of the trilogy. His design just screams paper tiger

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Detective No. 27 posted:

I love silly names like "Snoke" or "Sheev" or "Insanius."

Now poo poo like "Mara Jade" is a fanfiction turd name.

My theory is that they are deliberately giving characters names that can be easily transliterated into Asian languages. Hence, Kylo Ren (开罗人 - kai luo ren), Snoke (孙哦可 - sun o ke), Rey (雷 - lei), etc.

I have no idea if these are the real Chinese names, but the new characters are definitely easier to transliterate as the old translation gave characters awkward names like 卢克天左路 (lu ke tian zuo lu - literally "luke sky walk". As the US film industry is pretty much dependent on China for revenue these days, no doubt some consideration was taken in naming them in a marketable way for international audiences.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Snoke is actually a droid containing Sheev's old notes and journals. He's not even a real force user.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I can just imagine the scene where Snoke comes to Ben to tempt him.

"Find me and I'll show you true power."

"I will. What should I call you?"

"Snoke. "

"... OK."

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

He is. His laser sword is going to be the biggest thing you have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Snoke is actually Yoda, he didn't really die in Jedi. He had visions of the future and only saw one possible future where the Yuuzhan Vong don't come and kill everyone or what have you. So now he's following this one thread, a Golden Path if you will. He took the name Snoke because he snuck away while Luke wasn't looking.

Okay, how did I do?

• Locked thread