Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Well for what it's worth I have an ongoing no-reload trilogy run with SCS that is in chapter 5 of bg2. Charname is a berserker that dualed to mage at level 13 (yeah I know cheese class but I'm trying to finish a run). Underdark has been going slowly because I find it stressful. It has so many tough fights with SCS, in particular both liches (which have HLAs), House Jaelet and the beholder dungeon. Ugh. Anyhow hopefully we'll make it through. Party is Charname, Jaheira, Haerdalis, Viconia, Imoen and Edwin.

BG1 party was the same, except replace Haerdalis with Khalid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I have Shadowkeeper, but nothing gets me psyched for a new run through BG1+2+TOB more than clicking reroll 2000 times to get a 90 or better. It is a compulsion but it actually adds to my enjoyment.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The dumbest thing was the guy that wrote some kind of OCR script to auto reroll and save the best stats, then left it running overnight but it's totally not cheating man, I'm just taking advantage of the engine and I'd never use shadowkeeper.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Dillbag posted:

The dumbest thing was the guy that wrote some kind of OCR script to auto reroll and save the best stats, then left it running overnight but it's totally not cheating man, I'm just taking advantage of the engine and I'd never use shadowkeeper.

Programmer logic.txt

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Selling an item for 300 gold and buying it back for 200 gold for hours until you have thousands of gold because of an oversight in the game, fine. Saying gently caress it and consoling in the same amount of gold, that's cheating you piece of poo poo have some loving honor you scrub bitch.

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 24, 2015

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Exploits and cheats are not the same thing though. The rerolling bot is dumb but taking advantage of pickpocketing and something like a vendor who buys stolen goods is not the same.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008
I don't care if people hax their 15 year old SP game. Have fun guys! Just don't really want to chat about it. If you do hax your game then tell me about all the fun you had with it rather than bitching about how your own hax method annoys you.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've been trying to weigh up a Sorcerer vs a Cleric/Mage for my next play-through and think the Sorcerer is probably more powerful all things considered. Using Robe of Vecna + Amulet of Power with SCS on Insane mode.

Note: all references to Cleric/Mage actually Cleric/Illusionist.

With the Circlet of Netheril, Both Rings of Wizardry and all HLAs Sorc gets:

6 level 9 spells
8 level 8 spells
10 level 7 spells
9 level 6 spells

And with the Same setup a Cleric/Mage will get:

Arcane

3 level 9 spells
6 level 8 spells
8 level 7 spells
8 level 6 spells
8 level 5 spells

Divine (with 25 Wis Bonus)

4 level 7 spells
10 level 6 spells
13 level 5 spells
13 level 4 spells

From what I can make out there isn't really anything that a Sorcerer can't do better than a Cleric/Mage with those extra Arcane Spell slots.

While the Cleric/Mage has a reasonable amount of physical prowess from Cleric spells, for stuff you care about getting the drops off nothing really seems to be able to trump Project Image > Improved Alacrity > Improved Haste > Timestop > Shapechange Mindflayer - all for the cost of only 1 level 7 spell. 8 APR with Int drain on hit though I think the Shapechanged mindflayer only attacks as a +2 weapon, meaning it wouldn't hit anything that requires +3 or more to hit.

A Cleric/Illusionist would be able to pull this off as well but would have to have everything memorised in advance – since they only get three level 9 spell slots they wouldn't be able to do something like this then say, Project Image > Spam Dragon’s breaths, Summon a Planetar or take down another mage’s spell defences with Spellstrike, use Wish etc…

For anything with drops that you don't care about you can just Project Image > Timestop > Improved Alacrity > Imprisonment*4 again for the cost of only one level 7 spell. Even if you do care about loot maybe you can use a Freedom Scroll to separate mobs and use it as CC instead (there’s lots in SCS).

Sorcerers will also get much better use out of their level 7 spell slots and won’t have to stack project images for maximum efficiency in big fights. Stuff like 5x Mordenkainen’s swords, Sphere of Chaos Stacking, Power Word: Stun, Limited wish, Spell Deflection etc …

The great damaging divine spells seem to be Firestorm (level 7, Ignores MR), Storm of Vengeance (Level 7), Implosion (Level 7, Ignores MR), Bolt of Glory (Level 6 Ignores MR), Harm (level 6, nerfed somewhat by SCS but still good), Flame Strike (Level 5). These are all good spells but there doesn’t really seem to be anything that the Sorcerer’s greater amount of Arcane spells and greater efficiency with project image doesn't compensate for. Anything worth using Harm or Implosion on as big single target damage can also be subject to Improved Alacrity > 3X lower resistance > then whatever damaging spell you need from the Arcane Repertoire (Horrid Wilting). Planetars seem to be really good as well: they have access to 3x Heal, 3x Flame Strikes, 3x Insect Plagues and 3x True Sights and invisibility penetration with a vorpal sword. I think they cast instantly as well? Not sure about that one.

If anyone has any experience with Cleric/Mages I'd be interested in hearing them.

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 24, 2015

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The only thing that I wouldn't really have a full-proof plan for as a Sorcerer are the demons that come with SCS installed which have high magic resistance and can, among other things, teleport at will and use improved invisibility at will though I guess that's what fighter/mages are for.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

amanasleep posted:

Or do whatever you want in your SP game. It just weirds me out that people post about re-rolling BG stats for 2 hours like it's supposed to be impressive. When I come into the Infinity Engine thread I want to hear 'bout dat fantasy gaming action, not self-enforced tedium.

Even though I'd never spend 2 hours rolling for stats, I kind of get the appeal. It's the same impulse that lets a person feel okay with exploiting a glitch that gives their character extra XP or gold, but shy away from console-commanding the advantages to their PCs. It's that sense of stretching the existing rules or framework to their utmost limit, but never transgressing them outright.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Entropy238 posted:

The only thing that I wouldn't really have a full-proof plan for as a Sorcerer are the demons that come with SCS installed which have high magic resistance and can, among other things, teleport at will and use improved invisibility at will though I guess that's what fighter/mages are for.

C/I has a big advantage over Sorcerer in Demon battles because you can Spell Trigger 3x Bolt of Glory and Chain Contingency 3x Implosion. Sure, you can Lower Resistance but against multiple Demon spawns you have to blow a Spell Trigger just for 3x Lower Resistance each time which is tricky. The C/I just blows them away directly.

If you can keep a True Seeing up you can usually break Demon invisibility since they don't use SI: D. Also Planetars and Devas see invisible so they can continue to pursue and distract demons even immediately after they cast Invis.

Sorcerers still have a higher power ceiling than the C/I, as you detail in your post. But in most situations the C/I is just as good and sometimes better.

What this misses is how much more robust the C/I is in lower level fights.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

I may have to do another Berserker/Cleric run if we do this again. That combo is an unstoppable goddamned wrecking machine.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

My Christmas holiday game is going to be Pillars of Eternity. As a long time Infinity Engine fan, what are some tips you guys might have for the combat or exploration or general 'this is different from Baldur's Gate functionality' advice?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

My Christmas holiday game is going to be Pillars of Eternity. As a long time Infinity Engine fan, what are some tips you guys might have for the combat or exploration or general 'this is different from Baldur's Gate functionality' advice?

There isn't much to say that's different for PoE, except pay close attention to the stats because they're totally different from D&D's in effect despite sharing the three physical/three mental thing (for example, Con is a bad stat for tanks in PoE). Every class is good, but you do get a Wizard, Fighter, Priest and Chanter NPC within the first three or four hours, so you may want to keep that in mind when making your char (there's no Rogue or Barbarian NPC in the main game, although there's one of each in the expansion which is meant to be played about half to two thirds of the way through the game), but you can get by just fine with multiples of the same class. I made a tank Fighter and just built the NPC Fighter as a dual-wielder, for example.

Have fun, it's probably the best game of 2015.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Con was changed to be more meaningful in one of the patches. It's still not necessary to pump it for a tank, but putting a few points in it doesn't hurt either. Though honestly, stats in PoE don't matter too much. There are no breakpoints like in the Infinity Engine games, so you can go with whatever distribution suits you best.

The only real advice I can give is that Mechanics not only lets you open chests and disarm traps, it's also used to spot hidden items in stealth mode. So pumping it on one of your characters is a good idea. Other than that, there's nothing to really worry about. Combat-wise, Pillars has the engagement mechanic, which somewhat restricts your mobility on the battlefield, but that's something you'll pick up pretty quickly while playing the game. Everything else feels very similar to the gameplay of the Baldur's Gate series.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 26, 2015

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
Speaking of starting stats and PoE, I think one thing PoE does better than BG is discouraging "dump" stats.

I have no qualms about how people play their singleplayer RPGs, but if you have a problem with rerolling 2000 times to get 90+ but yet your Fighter character has 18 STR/DEX/CON and 3 Int/Wis, you're just as guilty of cheesing the system. If you look at NPCs in BG you'll see much more reasonable stat distributions than 90% of PCs - generally stats vary from 10-14 with a rare 18 in there.

PoE PCs should look more well-rounded than the 18STR/3INT Fighters of BG. Think carefully about what stats if any your character in PoE is going to dump, because most stats are useful in some ways.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Most of the stats are useful to everyone, but some stats are still more useful than others to specific classes, and you still want to aim for 18 in your primary stat/16 in your secondary, after cultural bonuses.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think in the tabletop 2nd/2.5e a lot of people would only roll stats once and then decide on a class based on the distribution. That's where most of BG1s NPCs came from and why, relative to BG2, they have pretty poo poo stats overall. 18s would've been really rare and pretty significant.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

BG1 has Kagain with 20 Con, Coran with 20 Dex, Minsc with 18/93 St, and Edwin with his cheaty necklace...

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Coran also has three points in longbows despite being a Fighter/Thief, so he's a cheating bastard all around.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Rappaport posted:

BG1 has Kagain with 20 Con, Coran with 20 Dex, Minsc with 18/93 St, and Edwin with his cheaty necklace...

Yeah, a handful out of like 20-25 NPCs have some decent stats.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

Rappaport posted:

There are no 3s rolling around though, because the stats are trying to represent a real character and a 3 in any attribute is retarded. Most min/maxed PC characters have a 3 in two attributes.

Minsc, who is clearly suffering from a decade-long concussion and talks to a hamster, has a Wisdom of 6. Now imagine what your PC with a Wisdom of 3 would look like.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

fong posted:

Yeah, a handful out of like 20-25 NPCs have some decent stats.

Doesn't really matter though. Class abilities are way more powerful than stats, even in BG1. Strength is a possible exception.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well my Ironman run is going well after restarting 5-7 times. I kept trying out different classes sometimes dying sometimes restarting because I wasn't feeling it. Settled on a Berserker that I will dual to a mage in BG2. I'm level 4 with level 1 imoen, level 2 Kaigan, level 2 viconia and level 4 Edwin. I had done a couple hours of solo play just doing some easy quests to get a few levels.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

amanasleep posted:

Doesn't really matter though. Class abilities are way more powerful than stats, even in BG1. Strength is a possible exception.

To be fair this is in part because many of the stats don't actually fulfill their intended purpose

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
When the gently caress is Siege of Dragon spear coming out?

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Dillbag posted:

They moved it to the mysterious "early 2016."

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44047/are-we-there-yet/p3

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Ironman run is going amazing I just made it to Baldur's Gate. :toot:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Speaking of which, when's the ironman thread going up?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I don't know. I hope it goes up soon.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Im playing PS:T for the first time and its absolutely amazing. Just thought id gush. Question:

PS:T spoilers ahead

When you find your own tomb in the catacombs, are the bodies supposed to be graverobbers or previous incarnations of TNO? I really love the increasingly erratic and desperate writing on the walls as well.

Dont trust the motherfuckin skull

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TheHoosier posted:

Im playing PS:T for the first time and its absolutely amazing. Just thought id gush. Question:

PS:T spoilers ahead

When you find your own tomb in the catacombs, are the bodies supposed to be graverobbers or previous incarnations of TNO? I really love the increasingly erratic and desperate writing on the walls as well.

Dont trust the motherfuckin skull

Pretty sure it's robbers, while you can leave behind severed body parts, it's relatively clear that you come back in the same body you died in, not a new body

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Skwirl posted:

Pretty sure it's robbers, while you can leave behind severed body parts, it's relatively clear that you come back in the same body you died in, not a new body

that's what I thought. The writing on the walls makes it seem like TNO was running from himself. I forget what gave me this idea; probably just wording. Im still early in the game and just speculating. It's really interesting stuff so far

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

TheHoosier posted:

that's what I thought. The writing on the walls makes it seem like TNO was running from himself. I forget what gave me this idea; probably just wording. Im still early in the game and just speculating. It's really interesting stuff so far

friendly advice: max out WIS and INT. no matter what class you're playing you will get more out of the game this way.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Dyna Soar posted:

friendly advice: max out WIS and INT. no matter what class you're playing you will get more out of the game this way.

I have. I read the BIP wiki entry, thankfully. There's so much going on and so much to miss. Im looking forward to seeing how this pans out. Probably gonna do the BG Ironman challenge as well.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I have PoE and have progressed like 20 hours in it, but I stopped because the loading times take forever, especially for saves. Makes my play style of cautiously saving and reloading agonizing. I've tried a lot of things to remedy this, including reinstalling it and moving older save files into other folders. Maybe I should move it to an SSD....

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I finished ironman BG1 and now it won't let me import to BG2. It says unable to verify content of unknown click here to purchase it. Then it brings me to the store page inside the game where all the dlc is even though all of that stuff is included with the pc version.

Nevermind I was doing it wrong.

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 28, 2015

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
So I bought NWN2 and I like it. It's cliched and the in-game companions bicker with each other more than a family at christmas, but I'm still enjoying myself. A few things, however:

1. I realized that Khelgar was a fighter like 7 levels in. As a result I've only just began giving him melee weapons. I am an idiot.
2. Goddamn does it take a while to get to the blacklake district. I'm still trying to complete the questline to gain access.

I wonder where I am in the story. Act I?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Radio Talmudist posted:

Act 1, which does indeed drag on for a long time. Once you actually get to Blacklake, though, the pace will pick up significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dillbag posted:

Who knows? Who cares?

Radio Talmudist posted:

So I bought NWN2 and I like it. It's cliched and the in-game companions bicker with each other more than a family at christmas, but I'm still enjoying myself. A few things, however:

1. I realized that Khelgar was a fighter like 7 levels in. As a result I've only just began giving him melee weapons. I am an idiot.
2. Goddamn does it take a while to get to the blacklake district. I'm still trying to complete the questline to gain access.

I really like the NWN2 original campaign. It's the most Realmsian of any of the computer games except for Baldur's Gate, and they both tell different kinds of stories. Note that if you haven't played Planescape: Torment you should stop and play that first though.