Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Effectronica posted:

This is inconsistent with the film, where Snoke assumes as a matter of course that having any piece of the map will lead them to Skywalker. So we should ignore any stupid bullshit about "uncharted space."

Kylo Ren says something about the First Order searching the imperial archives and not having the missing chunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Immortan posted:

The golden question: will it make 1 billion domestic?

Very little chance. But 800 million is in play.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Gatts posted:

Maybe it's just me but when Rey goes apeshit on Kylo it feels like she's losing herself in the power and letting herself fall far, very aggressive and almost enjoying it. Maybe it wasn't or it was subtle but the next movie would probably check this out.

I could see them going that path with her, it'd be a pretty decent flaw especially if they balance it out with her good sides well. Then again I also half think that they wanted the idea of Finn being force-sensitive himself to be a thing that could be argued. I saw a clip of Finn seeing the Starkiller laser doodad again and it definitely seems like the screams aren't coming from the planet he's on but the planets getting bombed. Furthermore Maz telling him to try to fight with the lightsaber seems odd to me. If she just wanted him to get it to Rey it'd be easier to just tell him to hold on to it until he sees her again. I wouldn't be surprised if he's basically this trilogy's Han Solo but I also wouldn't be surprised if he also has some Force things going on and basically is the guy who has to work hard compared to Rey being the type who it all comes naturally to.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Gatts posted:

Maybe it's just me but when Rey goes apeshit on Kylo it feels like she's losing herself in the power and letting herself fall far, very aggressive and almost enjoying it. Maybe it wasn't or it was subtle but the next movie would probably check this out.

I was thinking that too the second time watching it. I can't tell if I'm just reading too much into it, but her expression seemed to be getting more and more aggressive. She really looked like she was going for the kill before the Plot Hole opened up between them.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I was thinking that too the second time watching it. I can't tell if I'm just reading too much into it, but her expression seemed to be getting more and more aggressive. She really looked like she was going for the kill before the Plot Hole opened up between them.

I look at it the other way, when she closed her eyes and opened them it looked like she "got" the whole zen chill jedi powah thing. She didn't come across as any more aggro than say Luke early in Return of the Jedi. That's what a confident badass jedi is all about right there.

The whole zen chillness vs angry thing is odd if you think about it too much, but as far as having a fight with a bitter enemy goes, she was about as chill as could be expected.

Granted, being tempted by the dark side is one of the only cards they can play, so they'll probably play it at some point.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gatts posted:

I don't. gently caress a JJ Abrams and Avatar is better than this flick.

I'm gonna have to take your word for that, since I forgot everything about Avatar within a week of having seen it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
She was about to land the finishing blow when a fiery abyss opened up in front of her, hmm probably no symbolism there.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Frackie Robinson posted:

She was about to land the finishing blow when a fiery abyss opened up in front of her, hmm probably no symbolism there.

Obi-Wan horrifically maimed a guy while having a fight on lava, and he's one of the most pure righteous characters in the series.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Heavy Metal posted:

I look at it the other way, when she closed her eyes and opened them it looked like she "got" the whole zen chill jedi powah thing. She didn't come across as any more aggro than say Luke early in Return of the Jedi. That's what a confident badass jedi is all about right there.

The whole zen chillness vs angry thing is odd if you think about it too much, but as far as having a fight with a bitter enemy goes, she was about as chill as could be expected.

Granted, being tempted by the dark side is one of the only cards they can play, so they'll probably play it at some point.

I think she was bit aggressive/frantic toward the end of that fight but the way I interpreted the change was that Kylo Ren was telling her he could teach her to use the (dark side) force, she thought back to how afraid and weak he felt inside when he tried to read her mind earlier and was like 'I don't want to be anything like this loser, so rather than keep fighting him out of fear and anger I'm going to calm down and focus and use the force'.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
I still can't get over the fact that Adam Driver plays basically the same character in this as in Girls.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

enraged_camel posted:

I personally hope Kylo doesn't get redeemed. I hope he kills Snoke and takes his place, and that's how Episode 9 ends.

I also think Kylo never getting redeemed would be a solid direction, plus it wouldn't be a retread. I'd like episode 9 to end with this whole story resolved though.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Jedit posted:

I don't know where you get that from, because Qui-Gon outright says that the Jedi can't fight wars and that there aren't enough of them to handle every conflict.

Jedi can't fight wars because it's technically against their religion. It's not because they are incapable of fighting, or are bad at it.

There weren't enough Jedi to handle every conflict because the Republic had millions of inhabited worlds.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This is completely off topic but I've never understood what a Hyperspace Lane is. I know its just a plot device to help explain why the same few planets have such strategic importance in a galaxy with a million identical planets but whats the technobable explanation? Ive read so much EU and I still dont quite understand.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is completely off topic but I've never understood what a Hyperspace Lane is. I know its just a plot device to help explain why the same few planets have such strategic importance in a galaxy with a million identical planets but whats the technobable explanation? Ive read so much EU and I still dont quite understand.

It's an area of space that's relatively free of debris and what debris is there is well-charted so you can go fast.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Ah, one of the many explanations for doing the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs that isn't "George Lucas didn't understand science".

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Murderion posted:

Ah, one of the many explanations for doing the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs that isn't "George Lucas didn't understand science".

That line is Han bullshitting, though. Watch Alec Guinness's face as he hears it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Effectronica posted:

It's an area of space that's relatively free of debris and what debris is there is well-charted so you can go fast.
What he said. Also I guess you'd get some commonly travelled routes which might develop along the way, like highways do. A star system that happens to be midway between Trading Points A and B might be ideally situated for development of some kind.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Effectronica posted:

This, yeah this was my take away as the in-universe reasoning for why the map worked/didn't work. There are hyperspace routes which means you can't go from A to B directly, sometimes you have to go from A to K, then to B. And here, the big map R2 provided gave the K they needed to get to Luke's B.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Effectronica posted:

That line is Han bullshitting, though. Watch Alec Guinness's face as he hears it.

He's basically saying 'I could run from Paris to Brussels in less than 12 miles'. Which is stupid.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Effectronica posted:

Obi-Wan is entitled to his opinion.

Steve2911 posted:

He's basically saying 'I could run from Paris to Brussels in less than 12 miles'. Which is stupid.

Rey believes it and she's smart.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Here's another question for you EU guys, what is SW hyperspace like anyway? In most sci-fi works that use the term hyperspace as a form of magical form of FTL travel it's a parallel dimension in which physical laws are somewhat altered and you can go a lot faster than you can in 'normal space', at least that's what it's like in Babylon 5 and Star Control, can't think of other examples really, but in SW it's a bit different what with the 'wormhole tunnel' graphic thing that seems to play when ships go to hyperspace and how momentum seems to carry when dropping from hyperspace (i.e apparently Han couldn't just slow down in hyperspace and drop to normal space at a leisurely pace). So, what technobabble words are used to describe it outside the movies?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Here's another question for you EU guys, what is SW hyperspace like anyway? In most sci-fi works that use the term hyperspace as a form of magical form of FTL travel it's a parallel dimension in which physical laws are somewhat altered and you can go a lot faster than you can in 'normal space', at least that's what it's like in Babylon 5 and Star Control, can't think of other examples really, but in SW it's a bit different what with the 'wormhole tunnel' graphic thing that seems to play when ships go to hyperspace and how momentum seems to carry when dropping from hyperspace (i.e apparently Han couldn't just slow down in hyperspace and drop to normal space at a leisurely pace). So, what technobabble words are used to describe it outside the movies?

The final explanation is that "hyperspace" is the universe seen from a faster-than-light perspective, and the hyperdrive does some magic to turn the ship FTL and hold it together.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

quote:

HAN
Fast ship? You've never heard of the
Millennium Falcon?

BEN
Should I have?

HAN
It's the ship that made the Kessel
run in less than twelve parsecs!

Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with
obvious misinformation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's the space version of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_lane

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kurzon posted:

Many of these are not strictly speaking plot holes, and many are poorly argued. That said, I'd like to throw in my biggest issues with the movie.

The First Order built a superweapon bigger than the Death Star without the Resistance finding out.
In ANH and RotJ, the Rebellion knew of the existence of Death Stars and went to great lengths to obtain intelligence critical to its destruction. In TFA, the existence of Starkiller Base, an even bigger weapon, comes as a total shock to the Resistance. Finn, a stormtrooper who worked in sanitation, has to explain it to them and how to destroy it. Such a construction project must involve millions of laborers, astronomical sums of money, and huge numbers of ships ferrying supplies. This kind of project should be impossible to conceal.

BB8's piece of the map should have been enough to find Luke
Han remarks that BB's piece is uncharted space, but when he merges it with R2's piece, it's clearly a very big chunk of the galaxy. They thus should have been able to figure out where Luke's planet was by referencing the surrounding stars. If you have an unlabelled map of Florida, you would very easily recognize it as Florida.

All the planets in the Republic are apparently in the same system.
It would have been better if Maz sensed through the Force what happened, as Obi-Wan did in ANH.

A. they built it in the uknown regions, which through most of the EU is unexplored space and apperently in new EU as well.

B. maybe, but once again, I belive he is in the unknown regions and you need a full map of the galaxy to get a better context of where to start looking.

C. it was just their current Capital. the new republic moves around their capital alot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love how half of those aren't actually plot holes and involve ignoring things in the film.

Like "How did Han find the Millenium Falcon so fast?!" ignoring that it hadn't flown in years and once it flown it began transmitting its location which *Han even tells Rey and Finn*.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Gatts posted:

I don't. gently caress a JJ Abrams and Avatar is better than this flick.

can you describe four major characters in Avatar and their motivations without looking poo poo up on the internet?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

can you describe four major characters in Avatar and their motivations without looking poo poo up on the internet?

Hell, I can't name four characters from Avatar, much less tell you their motivations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Steve2911 posted:

Made for a good Stephen King short story, though.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Jake the protagonist was motivated by money initially I think.
His boss Sigorney Weaver was motivated by science.
The army guy was motivated by blood lust and a desire to murder the natives.
Blue Cat girl was motivated by seeing a white boy fail at being a blue cat.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

iSheep posted:

Jake the protagonist was motivated by money initially I think.
His boss Sigorney Weaver was motivated by science.
The army guy was motivated by blood lust and a desire to murder the natives.
Blue Cat girl was motivated by seeing a white boy fail at being a blue cat.

Then you have dickhead in a tie that likes money, angry blue man that was quite angry at humans and... Those are all the characters.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't even remember the main character's name from Avatar until that post.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
You forgot the bat played by Robin Williams and the pollution monster played by Tim Curry.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I didn't even remember the main character's name from Avatar until that post.

Most people don't but we are still getting 3 sequels.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
"The Force Awakens" had far FAR fewer memorable moments than "The Phantom Menace," if "The Force Awakens" even had a single memorable moment at all.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Neytiri, she's pocahontas. Jake Sully, he's the english guy who falls for pocahontas, is also disabled. Sigourney Weaver, she does something. Bad Admiral guy, he doesn't do much and then he dies.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

starry skies above posted:

"The Force Awakens" had far FAR fewer memorable moments than "The Phantom Menace," if "The Force Awakens" even had a single memorable moment at all.
Que people from both sides listing moments that they have arbitrarily decided are memorable.

Also if a film has been out for a week it's a bit early to say whether anything in it will be remembered.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

starry skies above posted:

I think you might have memory issues. And I say this as the guy who literally can't remember Avatar.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Que people from both sides listing moments that they have arbitrarily decided are memorable.

Also if a film has been out for a week it's a bit early to say whether anything in it will be remembered.

I am comfortable in saying that people will remember Kylo Ren stabbing Han Solo to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Pakled posted:

You forgot the bat played by Robin Williams and the pollution monster played by Tim Curry.

Hahaha. I actually remember this movie more than anything from Avatar.

• Locked thread