Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Please tell me Aiguille Delaz figures into this at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It is good to see Zeon scum get their just desserts.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Watching Thunderbolt now and god, I love the radio cut-in effect from OYW shows. It's the best.

e; vvv agreed. I hope he gets what he deserves. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 26, 2015

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
io fleming is a puuuuuuuuuuuuunk

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Thunderbolt only feels barely comprehensible but it looks and sounds so good that I don't care.

Is Io Fleming based on this guy?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axeman_of_New_Orleans

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Raxivace posted:

Thunderbolt only feels barely comprehensible but it looks and sounds so good that I don't care.

Is Io Fleming based on this guy?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axeman_of_New_Orleans

Whats barely comprehensible about it?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
thunderbolt is awesome so far, imo

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I like how they were upset that someone had the audacity of taking down one of their own after sniping the poo poo out of their opponents.

I don't feel any pity because they're all assholes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ElBrak posted:

Whats barely comprehensible about it?

With so much crammed into just 15 minutes, to me it felt like some kind of Gundam fever dream with jazz music.

This isn't a complaint btw.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, the last shot there is so genuinely uncomfortable. Dude seems that death coming.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Azubah posted:

I like how they were upset that someone had the audacity of taking down one of their own after sniping the poo poo out of their opponents.

I don't feel any pity because they're all assholes.

They're literally sitting in the grave they made of their opponent's home and feeling righteous.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Man, the last shot there is so genuinely uncomfortable. Dude seems that death coming.

I think rather than a vertical slice it should've been a stab into the chest that suddenly turned into coming right through the middle of the screen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think rather than a vertical slice it should've been a stab into the chest that suddenly turned into coming right through the middle of the screen.

The viewpoint there is from the cockpit camera but the cockpit is in the chest.

Edit: Oh, I misunderstood.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Experiencing any demise from first person is always bad. See the gopro movies recovered from the bodies of dead climbers and bikers, or the final tapes of dead journalists who were shot while holding a camera.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh hey, I didn't know about Thunderbolt.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

They're literally sitting in the grave they made of their opponent's home and feeling righteous.

Remember the artificial limbs, the talk of weird experiments, and the fact that they're literally called the 'Living Dead'? These guys are just as much victims of the war as the Moore Brotherhood. Getting slowly murdered by a Gundam is just the runny sauce on the poo poo sundae that is their lives.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember the artificial limbs, the talk of weird experiments, and the fact that they're literally called the 'Living Dead'? These guys are just as much victims of the war as the Moore Brotherhood. Getting slowly murdered by a Gundam is just the runny sauce on the poo poo sundae that is their lives.

Later in the manga, they're willing to blow themselves up rather than suffer the "dishonor" of being made prisoners. One of the federation dudes makes a big speech about how they should stop murdering each other, but it only stops like four of them. The rest keep fighting till the end.

Fascism is a hell of a drug.

Edit: fixed spoiler bracket.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 27, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Io's a huge piece of poo poo. Interesting to watch. I am shocked that a drummer can operate a mobile suit though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Later in the manga, they're willing to blow themselves up rather than suffer the "dishonor" of being made prisoners. One of the federation dudes makes a big speech about how they should stop murdering each other, but it only stops like four of them. The rest keep fighting till the end.

Fascism is a hell of a drug.

Edit: fixed spoiler bracket.

I know, I've read the manga. And the Feds don't come off too well in that scene, either. It's basically a few decent, sane people making a brief connection before a bunch of angry hardliners pull everything straight to hell.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I know, I've read the manga. And the Feds don't come off too well in that scene, either. It's basically a few decent, sane people making a brief connection before a bunch of angry hardliners pull everything straight to hell.

That interpretation works only if the Zeon soldiers hadn't already been planning to blo themselves up when they saw that the ship wasn't exploding.

And the Federation has a much better track record of following the Antartic Treaty/the Geneva Convention than Zeon too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just wanna throw in how much I love Gundam's space stuff. Like, dumb, but realistic feeling, details like having a smoking room where dudes can blow their smoke into a tube and poo poo to keep it out of the air and all, the shots of guys just swimming through the air, all that is just really nice to see.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

muike posted:

Io's a huge piece of poo poo. Interesting to watch. I am shocked that a drummer can operate a mobile suit though.

They'd have good coordination among all four limbs doing different things.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I just wanna throw in how much I love Gundam's space stuff. Like, dumb, but realistic feeling, details like having a smoking room where dudes can blow their smoke into a tube and poo poo to keep it out of the air and all, the shots of guys just swimming through the air, all that is just really nice to see.

Opoosite side of the scale, Quess Gundam cockpit jumping.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jesus, Io is a loving rear end in a top hat. I love it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Tatum Girlparts posted:

it's all very reminiscent of old american science fiction novels to me

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

muike posted:

Yea I love me some Star Wars/Star Trek "Spaceships are just big navy ships" type stuff too but whenever I see gundam space (some things not included, like

SeanBeansShako posted:

)

it always feels more like the oldschool 'man space is fuckin rough guys' kinda stuff and it stands out. Like, asking a dude shooting a mounted gun 'hey are you drifting away from position' and seeing a bunch of dudes floating and swimming around a giant mech to get it ready to go out, that's a pretty striking style compared to a lot of the others still, and that's a good thing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's probably not as unrealistic or dumb as you might think.

Caros
May 14, 2008

This is the one and only thing I gave Gundam Age credit for. At one point they have Flit do a cockpit jump without a suit, and they include simple details like him blowing out all his breath and the fact that it is dangerous but not necessarily lethal.

Everything else about that show was poo poo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

muike posted:

To me it brings to mind 80s sci-fi flicks like Alien or Blade Runner; industrial, analogue, & utilitarian, where the tech doesn't work quite as well as it's supposed to and everyone has to use workarounds, such as gluing together shields when flying into a debris field.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

muike posted:

Especially with all the psychics running around. That was a big thing in old sci-fi.

The Mule was a newtype!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
UC Gundam has always been pretty good with depicting people in space, really. It's cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

UC Gundam has always been pretty good with depicting people in space, really. It's cool.

Honestly a lot of the Gundam series have at least a few good moments. I genuinely liked the bit in SEED after they get to Earth where a guy is drinking a soda and tries to just let it go before remembering that he's got gravity now and he can't do that.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gundam get's pretty science fantasy at parts, especially in the AU, but my favorite parts of Gundam are the hard scifi trappings in UC.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Even UC is kind of weird in that it's society never changes and outside the actual colonies all the sci-fi elements exist purely to serve the purpose of mobile suit combat. So every time you get a look at any kind of civilian life it's always basically current day things - but with mobile suits around and maybe taking place in a colony and nothing more. And when Tomino got sick of doing that for nearly a 100 years over 4 tv shows and 2 films he just jumped forward several thousand years and hit the reset button so that he could do it again, but this time society was slightly regressed and stop asking why things are always basically exactly the same, here have a mobile suit, can I have my cheque now?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly a lot of the Gundam series have at least a few good moments. I genuinely liked the bit in SEED after they get to Earth where a guy is drinking a soda and tries to just let it go before remembering that he's got gravity now and he can't do that.

Stupid gravity.

https://youtu.be/rL8e6UWfPuE

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I always liked that the Strike's Aile Pack could only act as basic jump-jets in gravity.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, its really nice that outside of the robots they put some effort and research into how people would live in space. Just the little details other shows don't bother with like packing the crew into spacesuits for combat because, hey, the ship's gonna take damage so why not do something about surviving decompression? :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

io fleming is a puuuuuuuuuuuuunk

Oh poo poo, nice to see you again TF!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Is there a comprehensive list that shows what was cut from the series for the Mobile Suit Gundam movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I've hit the half way point of G Reco and Im not really sold. Bellri is alright, Aida is a joke and I feel like Klim and Mick should be the leads. They are way cooler.