Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

It runs a lot deeper than just the fact their old ECA/contract was meant to have expired (following the Fair Work hearing we are now on the Industry Award), even the contract they were running wasn't being fulfilled to a tee. It actually had a provision for penalty rates on weekends, with the caveat being that it was only paid when the staff member didn't "request" a weekend shift. Except, upon being hired we were given a sheet which we were told to sign under the heading "Roster Requests" that they could use as evidence that we "requested" the shift. So, they could point to their contract and say they paid penalty rates while having a loophole to never in fact need to do so.

Now you just need to keep an eye out for crazy cult people stalking you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
That's some bullshit.

Great work and keep on fighting the good fight, you have my support you amazing boat.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Birdstrike posted:

expected friendlyjordies tbh

friendlyjordies has gone full labor shill now, even defending asylum seeker policies and turn backs :)

AgentF
May 11, 2009
friendlyjordies is annoying as gently caress and the voices he puts on are poo poo

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Excellent. Good job.

On the downside I guess Pancake Parlor is off the menu. :smith:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It should never have been on the menu.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Excellent. Good job.

On the downside I guess Pancake Parlor is off the menu. :smith:

The cheapest thing on the menu is like 15 bucks you bourgeois pig. Who is even eating there in the first place? Other than people who can afford to be scientologists.

Why are requested and unrequested shifts even governed differently? Its the most weasel-y bullshit, but its basically what Workchoices was made for. Why the gently caress isn't Workchoices the grim spectre hovering over Australian life the way 'carbon tax' was?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
If you go to the pancake manor in Brisbane you through a time vortex to 1983

e: Brisbane was poo poo in 1983

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Frogfingers posted:

The cheapest thing on the menu is like 15 bucks you bourgeois pig. Who is even eating there in the first place?

pancakes

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
If the foodchat doesn't shift to byob I'm going to find a Piers Akerman article and post it. AND a Miranda Devine.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hey why is it that so many workplaces can get away with poo poo like this? I work for a travel agency chain and don't get paid extra for Saturday's, Sunday's, or public holidays (just get a day in lieu) and it's always annoyed me but I don't even know if there is a union that covers sales people? I get that we work on commission so it's a bit different but surely since staffing a shop is something they need us to do it should be covered? Or is it just too bad?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Frogfingers posted:

Why the gently caress isn't Workchoices the grim spectre hovering over Australian life the way 'carbon tax' was?

It's harder to find rhymes for "Workchoices"

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
foist the choice

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Frogfingers posted:

Why the gently caress isn't Workchoices the grim spectre hovering over Australian life the way 'carbon tax' was?

Well, the obvious reason is that the people demonising the carbon tax actually think Workchoices was a pretty good idea.

Personally, I'd also believe that part of it comes through the names. 'Carbon tax' is a really easy thing to aim at, because just from the name it's clear what it is, and from there you can plan your attack. 'Workchoices' is one of those skeevy, empty names that sounds like it means something vaguely positive but doesn't actually give you any idea what it refers to or does.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

teacup posted:

Hey why is it that so many workplaces can get away with poo poo like this? I work for a travel agency chain and don't get paid extra for Saturday's, Sunday's, or public holidays (just get a day in lieu) and it's always annoyed me but I don't even know if there is a union that covers sales people? I get that we work on commission so it's a bit different but surely since staffing a shop is something they need us to do it should be covered? Or is it just too bad?

You might be on salary which would explain the day in lieu.

The shoppies would normally be your union if you are in sales but they (and the police union) are the worst. If you are lucky United Voice might be able to represent you. They've represented me a couple of times and I got positive outcomes.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Man standing up against junk science says...

quote:

Tony Abbott’s former business advisory council chairman, Maurice Newman, has criticised Malcolm Turnbull and Barack Obama for prioritising “collectivist visions” over “private choice” in relation to climate change.

Newman, who was not reappointed to the council by the Turnbull government, has accused world leaders of acting “like ancient druids pleading with the gods for good seasons” at the recent Paris climate talks.

Newman blasted the final Paris agreement, which aims to hold global temperatures to a maximum rise of 1.5C above pre-industrial levels, saying there was “no empirical scientific evidence” to support the policy.

He lamented that “without a Tony ­Abbott in Canberra or a Stephen Harper in Ottawa, no world leader utters a peep in protest”.

A noted climate change sceptic, Newman has accused western capitalist societies of giving up on rational thinking.

“They embrace junk ­science and junk economics and adopt wealth-destroying postmodern pseudo-economics, which teaches that taxpayer subsidies can produce desirable ‘economic transformation’ and faster growth,” Newman wrote in the Australian.

“Pigs may also fly.

“Climate change has cowed once great powers into meekly surrendering sovereignty and independent thought to unelected bureaucrats in Geneva. From the White House to the Lodge, private choice now runs a distant second to collectivist visions.”

Newman repeated his previous assertion that the United Nations was more about Marxism than science.

“But then climate change is not about credible scientific evidence,” he wrote.

“It has its roots in Marxism, and ultimately the Green Fund is presided over by the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, run by Costa Rican Marxist Christiana Figueres.”

Figueres is the daughter of the three-time Costa Rican president, José Figueres Ferrer, who led his country’s transition to democracy and opposed communism in his own country and across central America. Figueres has served in various climate roles – including head of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change since 2010.

Newman warned the 1.5C target would be “relentlessly pursued” by the UN with the help of the media.

“The media, in step with the Green ­Machine, will bombard us with climate alarmism to the applause of the leader of the free world, Barack Obama, who says: ‘My mission is to make the world aware that climate change is a bigger threat than terrorism.’ ­Really? That’s serious. Clearly authority, not common sense or science, now rules the world.”

Newman also accused the world’s largest emitter, China, of “adroit politics”, using climate change to act on its domestic air quality issues while promoting emissions restraints for other countries “for its own competitive advantage”.

He ridiculed plans for the United Nation’s Green Climate Fund to transfer money from “42 guilt-racked nations” to developing countries “regardless of the direction of world temperatures”.

“[Developing nations] left Paris happy that the UN’s Green Climate Fund, which aims to reach $US100bn a year by 2020, will give them cash for anything they can pass off as remotely ­related to their intended national contributions to world CO2­–reduction,” he wrote.

World leaders were succumbing to “bogus science and catastrophism” and considering abandoning fossil fuels – “the world’s cheapest, most ­efficient and wealth-creating power source” – in favour of “costly, ­­inefficient renewable energy”.

Last month, the US environmental thinktank Oil Change International and Britain’s Overseas Development Institute found the amount spent by G20 governments on fossil fuel subsidies was more than three times the amount spent by the world on subsidies to the renewable energy industry.
Down with those marxists, who cleverly (but not cleverly enough!) tried to conceal their marxism by opposing communism! Reds under beds! Reds everywhere!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
For as much as we are worse off here having turnbull who is better at selling terrible policies, it is still nice that Abbott and Harper got hosed off out of office within months of each other.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So what's the rationale behind trying to strip the working poor of their penalty hours, but pretending that emergency services and the like will be untouched?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Gorilla Salad posted:

So what's the rationale behind trying to strip the working poor of their penalty hours, but pretending that emergency services and the like will be untouched?

Emergency workers are more sympathetic than that fuckin uni student at the bottleo who didn't agree with you that everything's gone to poo poo since the Asians took over.

Then once you've gotten rid of casual workers penalty rates it's much easier later on to roll that out uniformly.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...iw=1440&bih=771

Paramedics are loving militant man

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
Also the 'reasoning' behind abolishing penalty rates is always that they are destroying hard working mum & dad run businesses (or at least that's how the BCA sell it).

Emergency services are paid by taxpayers and aren't subject to a profit model, so I reckon they'll argue that it's a different ballgame (at least until there is a further BUDGET EMERGENCY).

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
WorkChoices is dead, buried and cremated. Now, lets talk about penalty rates.

quote:

Mr Turnbull has drawn attention over comments last year about the impact of penalty rates: "You see businesses, particularly hospitality businesses like cafes and restaurants and so forth, closed on weekends ... because the penalty rates are so high," he said. "Now that's nuts.

I have never come across a hospitality business that isn't open on a Sunday Mr Turnbull.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Nibbles! posted:

WorkChoices is dead, buried and cremated. Now, lets talk about penalty rates.

I have never come across a hospitality business that isn't open on a Sunday Mr Turnbull.

I have but I live in Perth, and im pretty sure its not because of wages.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Pred1ct posted:

Also the 'reasoning' behind abolishing penalty rates is always that they are destroying hard working mum & dad run businesses (or at least that's how the BCA sell it).

Emergency services are paid by taxpayers and aren't subject to a profit model, so I reckon they'll argue that it's a different ballgame (at least until there is a further BUDGET EMERGENCY).

Ahh, that's what I was looking for.

My sister is an EMT, so I'm very interested in her getting to keep the extra money she earns - and she sure as hell does earn it. For all the ways the government screws them over, penalty rates may just be the one fight they don't have to have.

But, I also vividly remember reading the threads here during the Wisconsin teacher's strife where the Republican governor literally stated that because teachers were so essential and dedicated it was okay to cut their pay and conditions because they'd do the job anyway.

And the LNP does love to be ten years behind the US in all the horrible things they do.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 28, 2015

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The small business line is just so obviously bullshit I can't believe they get away with it.

Gorilla Salad posted:

And the LNP does love to be ten years behind the US in all the horrible things they do.
I've often wondered what the social aspect of this is. I'm sure Woolworths and Walmart executives know each other and I bet the Walmart ones tease the Woolworths ones about how their staff aren't on foodstamps.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 28, 2015

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

open24hours posted:

The small business line is just so obviously bullshit I can't believe they get away with it.

I can.

People have strange attitudes towards businesses and the people that own/run them. Businessmen are seen as the very pinnacle of sensibility and rationality, while businesses are treated as though they have some sort of 'right' to succeed regardless of how poorly thought out the business plan is. Not sure how we've arrived at this point, I guess it is wormed it's way into the collective consciousness over time or something.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Nibbles! posted:

i agree with him that it's an insane statement which is untrue

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

gay picnic defence posted:

I can.

People have strange attitudes towards businesses and the people that own/run them. Businessmen are seen as the very pinnacle of sensibility and rationality, while businesses are treated as though they have some sort of 'right' to succeed regardless of how poorly thought out the business plan is. Not sure how we've arrived at this point, I guess it is wormed it's way into the collective consciousness over time or something.

Businesses have a right to support so they have a viable chance to succeed. Unlike people.

(This is because people can be lazy and unproductive while a business is always a shining model of capitalist effort that creates jobs.)

By the way, at the same time, let me assert that the Darwinian competition that makes unfit businesses fail is totally the backbone of the free market, which makes it so fair and rational.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I've seen small broomcloset cafes close on weekends but I doubt it's because of penality rates and more to do with the barista owner wanting a weekend.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's not the business line, but the small business line. Who's going to benefit more from cutting penalty rates, some guy running a cafe or Woolworths and Coles?

open24hours fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 28, 2015

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Small business is just code for big business. People have more sympathy for the local entrepreneur than for a massive multinational. And rightly so - I know the thread likes to pile on small business owners for being self-entitled or whatever, but in general, I'm more in favour of a small local business operating on my street than a gigantic multinational.

Also lol remember when Tony told a radio show that the restaurant in the hotel he was staying in had to close on Sundays because of penalty rates and then later the hotel owner rang in to say that it was in fact open on Sundays?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Anidav posted:

Lmao at them threatening with "no more free staff lunch"

The peasants will starve I say. Starve if they get proper pay!

Qu'ils mangent de la crêpes.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Of course it is, which is the point. They talk about cafes and whathaveyou who might save a few thousand bucks a year on penalty rates when it's clearly being done on behalf of massive companies who stand to save millions upon millions if this goes through and are already highly profitable.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Someone should just tell them to stay shut if they can't run profitably, or to add a surcharge for weekends so they are profitable.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

http://m.smh.com.au/national/pancake-parlour-employees-win-penalty-rates-for-late-nights-weekends-20150921-gjrwmn.html

This dude is me (tldr; work for Pancake Parlour, they were on an old WorkChoices era contract with no penalty rates and I took them to Fair Work to force them to update it across the whole franchise). The article and the quote make it seem like they rolled over a lot easier than they did, they challenged it at every step and it was a lot of work. It will be really disappointing if this goes through and we lose what we worked for.

Well done. Pancake Parlour is poo poo because of the jacked up prices. Knowing they were screwing staff has doubled my incentive not to go there. I'm hoping my personal stand doesn't impact the number of employees though.

Aren't there supposed to be rallies protesting against threats to penalty rates some time soon?

gently caress people wanting to abolish penalty rates. Yeah, wage costs are higher at times but every employer is in the same boat. Put in place a modest surcharge or something.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Having witnessed Indooroopilly shops on Boxing Day any business who wasn't open and paying their staff in huge sacks of gold was missing out on mad profits.

How hosed are we?

http://www.roymorgan.com/morganpoll

:aaaaa: :suicide: t:ghost:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

If you go to the pancake manor in Brisbane you through a time vortex to 1983

e: Brisbane was poo poo in 1983

You having a cheeky nandos m8?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Cartoon posted:

Having witnessed Indooroopilly shops on Boxing Day any business who wasn't open and paying their staff in huge sacks of gold was missing out on mad profits.

Agree. Reality though is that it's not sacks of gold and a fair number of them would probably rather be at home.

e: re-read this and it's not clear. I was referring to people who work on Boxing Day.

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 29, 2015

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/12/29/govt-wont-fund-final-two-years-gonski

quote:

Source: AAP
29 Dec 2015 - 8:10 AM UPDATED 3 HOURS AGO

The Turnbull government won't fund the final two years of the Gonski school funding.

Education Minister Simon Birmingham told Fairfax Media on Tuesday the government would instead work to strike new funding agreements from 2018, focused on creating a simpler system rather than handing out more cash.

"The previous (Labor) government's approach showed great largesse in tipping additional funding into the system, but they created a complicated model that lacks fairness and transparency," he said.

And I think that's Bingo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
How can a man who doubles down on Abbott policy be so popular?

• Locked thread