Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

MrKatharsis posted:

Something something Warren Buffett something investing during a down year is actually good.

Cheap hamburgers! nom nom nom!

I stayed with my sister while visiting family, and they are Long Island "keep up with the Joneses" as gently caress. All the BWM poo poo almost gave me a stroke.

The easiest to explain is this, with the caption, "Just like mommy and daddy's!" (Adorable) Baby is 8 months old. Yes, those are real diamond studs in her ears.

Honorable mention goes to spending $50 on ribbon two days before Christmas, at full markup, because "our friends expect fancy wrapped presents." It went unused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
8 month old baby given a toy marked "Ages: 3+", having a hard time backing you up on this one

OTOH the baby is gift wrapped, the cost savings on giving it away must be enormous

eta3: maybe the box... is empty

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

at least the diamond studs can be used for the rest of her life. GWM by getting as much usage in and starting early so price per wear is reasonable

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

legsarerequired posted:

It is me, I am bad with money.

I was so proud of myself for paying off a maxed credit card, starting emergency savings, contributing to a Roth and 401k, and even starting savings for a car down payment (hopefully my 2011 Toyota sticks around for a while but I have 92k miles on it and it has been in two accidents so I'm scared it could get totaled if, like a dumbass, I get into a third accident). I thought I had reduced spending so well on impulse poo poo like clothing and food.

I logged into mint. I have spent over $9000 on food this year. I make $42k. I moved back home with my parents so I could invest a quarter of my income in turds.

I don't have many excuses: I can count on two hands how many drinks I have per year so it isn't alcohol. I'm supposed to be cooking more because I'm trying to lose weight.

It's LOTS of eating out plain and simple. Lots of sushi, lots of green tea, lots of fast food.

Ugh.

Edit: I'm just so angry at myself! I might not have enough money for GROCERIES as an elderly person because I kept hauling my rear end to burger places as a woman-pushing-30.

I wouldn't feel too bad about it. Keep trying to get the food spending down, but everyone I know feels like they spend too much on food. It's the hardest BWM thing to beat, in my opinion. It's really easy to slowly fall off of that wagon, because you always need to eat. Buying expensive dumb poo poo is easy to avoid because you can just *not do it*. So keep trying but don't feel angry about it.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Inverse Icarus posted:

I stayed with my sister while visiting family, and they are Long Island "keep up with the Joneses" as gently caress. All the BWM poo poo almost gave me a stroke.

The easiest to explain is this, with the caption, "Just like mommy and daddy's!" (Adorable) Baby is 8 months old. Yes, those are real diamond studs in her ears.

Honorable mention goes to spending $50 on ribbon two days before Christmas, at full markup, because "our friends expect fancy wrapped presents." It went unused.

My in-laws did the same thing with my nephew. Except they did it thrice. They got him a power wheel motorcycle when he was 1, a power wheel truck when he was 2, and this Christmas they gave him a power wheel tractor. He still hasn't figured out how to use the first one.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

SaltLick posted:

at least the diamond studs can be used for the rest of her life. GWM by getting as much usage in and starting early so price per wear is reasonable

*kid swallows earring*

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

legsarerequired posted:

I doubled the automatic transfer to my vanguard because CLEARLY I will find a way to spend the money otherwise. Ugh.

I'm remembering when I was a child my parents took us to fast food every day. I can count on one hand how many times we ate a home cooked meal around a table. Once we didn't go to burger king for a week (probably because we went to McDonalds or something) and the lady at the window said she was worried about us.

Edit: I will say this to other people in my situation (trying to lose weight/spend less in food): I don't eat nearly as much sushi since I started cooking chicken at home. A dietitian told me that if you regularly eat meat, your body will crave it. I have definitely noticed that I don't crave eating out as badly as I used to since I started making chicken at home and snacking on it throughout the day at work.

That said I've done homemade sushi before and it is super fun!

If you're living at home then you're still in an environment where the "normal" is fast food daily, right? Cut yourself a little slack--you're recognizing a problem that is rooted pretty deep in your upbringing. Some people never get that far.

Start a thread!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

pr0zac posted:

*kid swallows earring*

No problem, she's still wearing diapers.

Check and mate.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

pr0zac posted:

*kid swallows earring*

I think I saw this happen on a sitcom once

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

A boy swallowed an engagement ring on Scrubs. The unwillingness of the giver to divulge to the recipient what happened to it and how it was recovered before she ever knew about it blew up in the giver's face just as you'd expect it to.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Moneyball posted:

My sister is a BWM all star. I posted about it a dozen or so pages ago, but I think she's just going to go through life this way. She's a single mom of teens, but she's adding to her struggles with terrible decisions.

- 444 credit score. Only posting because I had no idea you could actually get so low.
- Defaulted student loans for an abandoned University of Phoenix degree.
- Car repossessed, bought a death trap with a rusted out gas tank that subsequently died.
- Now financing a used SUV and doing Uber/Lyft or whatever
- Does equine whatever
- Very self-righteous about everything

I have two facebook accounts, one only for family, because her updates are too frustrating to read.

I wish she could figure it all out.
Bad with Facebook right here. You can drop someone from your facebook feed without unfriending them..

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Inverse Icarus posted:

So it's a couple days after Christmas and the worst BWM we have come up with is a $200 toy car that the baby is a bit too small to ride in?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Suspicious Lump posted:

Bad with Facebook right here. You can drop someone from your facebook feed without unfriending them..

Yeah, but then you've got to be careful about what you post that they might see, etc. It's a perfectly cromulent move, I have separate "personal" and "professional/I-don't-really-know-you" FB accounts.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

So it's a couple days after Christmas and the worst BWM we have come up with is a $200 toy car that the baby is a bit too small to ride in?

Well, the guy whose cafe I mentioned here opened a couple weeks ago and this is the owner's current fb status:

quote:

it's at a critical state at [redacted]. very touch-and-go. lolllll every day I have to check my bank account to see what was withdrawn: 12 auto-pay credit cards, car, rent, phone, utilities, random auto-pay, etc. and make sure there are funds to cover it. so far, so good. I actually think I'm going to swing this thing. everyone says, "don't air your dirty laundry and the financial realities of the space. it makes you look unstable and unappealing to potential investors." well, sweet cheeks, I full funded this baby on my own with a few small donations from friends. I'm not worried about scaring away would-be investors. If folks want to invest in a space like this, they are going to want to do it even more when they here the actual story. WYSIWYG. transparency and compassionate openness is where it's at. and the reality is I obliterated my credit score, pulled a little hat-trick theatre, and maxed out $65,000 worth of credit - risking it all on the belief in - and vision for - a different way of doing business. no blue print, no business plan, no idea what the hell I was doing. just a little sweet bird chirping in my ear, "why not?" and I would do it all over again. This is the adventure of a lifetime. why hide it away?
crap. these 18 hour days are such natural adrenaline. sleep, I say !

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Horking Delight posted:

Well, the guy whose cafe I mentioned here opened a couple weeks ago and this is the owner's current fb status:

I'll give it less than a month before he folds the business.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

IllegallySober posted:

I'll give it less than a month before he folds the business.

Not a chance. He's emotionally tied up in it and he'll be able to last a while sales-wise from the novelty of a new place that doubles as a community center. Plus, missing rent for a month won't be enough to get him evicted. He'll easily get past the three-month mark.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Suspicious Lump posted:

Yeah, I know. I did eventually block my sister from my main account after an argument. Juvenile, I know, but avoiding family drama is sometimes worth it. I have unsubscribed from a lot of people this year and it's been refreshing.

Content:

Reviews on Credit Karma are not quite as funny as Reddit, but a goldmine nonetheless. I actually fell for a couple negative reviews on there and got spooked about Chase possibly processing payments on my CC late. I figure those people must have scheduled a payment too late for it to count for that date and are just saying it's Chase's fault.

Anyways... I have no idea what's going on here. How is their score going up?

quote:

I don't know mine before the middle of last year.
I know, mine was at 528...
I had to use a CC because I couldn't afford anything. I never used a CC, I mean, I did, but went years without.
I have 37 missed payments. (I was jobless and my student loans were $521 a month.
So for 4 months, I missed payments and there are 9 little loans within it. So 9x4 = 36 late payments from that. Even though I only send money to one company, my loan is split up with all sorts of interest rates. So that's why there are 9 different loans all of ~$5000-6000.
Total to pay, $48,000.. I'm doing the 10 years and pay $533 a month. By the time I pay it off in 10 years, it'll be around $64,000+ payed towards it.
So far, I haven't used the CC the whole time while my credit score was going up.
I had to get a loan from my job and a loan from cashnetusa or something like that, which cost $270 just to get a $800 loan out. (had to pay $1070 in 14 days)
I had to get a car, but I was able to get a 5.9% interest rate, but went with the dealer instead.
I put $0 down, got it to 5.5% for a Mustang with 21k miles.
Paid those each month without missing and now my credit score is 644.
A month ago, it was lower and no one accepted my application for a CC.
But then I got a $1500 credit with Motorola to get a $500 phone. I thought I wouldn't get it, but might as well stretch it out and pay ~$50 a month. I would have just used my CC and do it, but I think this is better.
Will now on use it... So in ~7 months, I jumped ~120 points.
I think by the time a year hits, I'll be over 700.
I think it has more to do with how much you get paid each month and how much your payments are....
$533 for student loans and $420 for my car.
Looks like I'm going to China this year too.
I love my job. I want to be able to get what the above guy got. Low % for car. I'll try to refinance my car with my work place after it reaches to the 700s.

I guess the 544 was the result of the missed payments, and it's going back up because of steady student loan and car payments now? It's good to see someone can tank their score and build it back up. But still... pay day loans?

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 29, 2015

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Moneyball posted:

Yeah, I know. I did eventually block my sister from my main account after an argument. Juvenile, I know, but avoiding family drama is sometimes worth it. I have unsubscribed from a lot of people this year and it's been refreshing.

Content:

Reviews on Credit Karma are not quite as funny as Reddit, but a goldmine nonetheless. I actually fell for a couple negative reviews on there and got spooked about Chase possibly processing payments on my CC late. I figure those people must have scheduled a payment too late for it to count for that date and are just saying it's Chase's fault.

Anyways... I have no idea what's going on here. How is their score going up?

I guess the 544 was the result of the missed payments, and it's going back up because of steady student loan and car payments now? It's good to see someone can tank their score and build it back up. But still... pay day loans?

If you don't have new negatives, your score consistently rises. As your negatives age they have less weight overall to your score, until they drop off @ 7 years.

That guy has bigger problems than credit score, he clearly needs to stop buying things. Financing a phone is the definition of BWM.

Don't worry about chase. The most annoying thing about them is their 5/24 rule (If you've opened 5 credit cards in the last 2 years they auto deny you for most of their products). It's to prevent churning. Besides that they act like any other CC issuer (Although I've heard they can be stingy with CLIs).

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

hanales posted:

Financing a phone is the definition of BWM.

Not if you're paying zero interest. :colbert:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

hanales posted:

If you don't have new negatives, your score consistently rises. As your negatives age they have less weight overall to your score, until they drop off @ 7 years.

That guy has bigger problems than credit score, he clearly needs to stop buying things. Financing a phone is the definition of BWM.

Don't worry about chase. The most annoying thing about them is their 5/24 rule (If you've opened 5 credit cards in the last 2 years they auto deny you for most of their products). It's to prevent churning. Besides that they act like any other CC issuer (Although I've heard they can be stingy with CLIs).

I have a maxed out Chase Slate card (lots of the debt was CPA exam related, so GWM?) at 0% for all of 2016 and a Chase Freedom that I'll be using until its intro APR is up, also for the rest of 2016. I was just concerned about late payments so I've paid a week early despite having auto-pay set up.

I think I'll let them go automatically this week and assume everything will work out.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

ohgodwhat posted:

If you don't think that buying a cell phone you can't afford because you can finance it at 0% is BWM, I feel like you might have some stories to share with the thread.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Even if you can afford it, why not finance at 0%? Time value of money and all that.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Don't they mark up most 0% financed things anyway?

Like if I wanted to buy a new car for $20,000 and had the available savings, I would still take the 0% financing and use the $20k for something that earns interest. But the tradeoff for that rate is losing out on other incentives or a higher priced car, right?

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Moneyball posted:

Don't they mark up most 0% financed things anyway?

Like if I wanted to buy a new car for $20,000 and had the available savings, I would still take the 0% financing and use the $20k for something that earns interest. But the tradeoff for that rate is losing out on other incentives or a higher priced car, right?

That's how some new car deals work: pick one of either low interest rate or reduce cost of car by X. But some other 0% financing deals are just that. I bought a new lawn mower a few years ago at 0% for 2 years and wasn't any less for the mower if I paid cash that day. This is also how AT&T and other mobile carriers are selling phones now. You either pay $750 cash for a new iPhone or $31.25/mo for 24 months, it's the same thing. If you can afford the thing, and you have the option to 0% finance it, why not?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

ohgodwhat posted:

Naah, he clearly got that motorola card using the shopping cart trick, and is buying things he doesn't need to justify it.

Just like he bought a mustang when he could have gotten a cheaper car. He clearly has issues with spending.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Moneyball posted:

I have a maxed out Chase Slate card (lots of the debt was CPA exam related, so GWM?) at 0% for all of 2016 and a Chase Freedom that I'll be using until its intro APR is up, also for the rest of 2016. I was just concerned about late payments so I've paid a week early despite having auto-pay set up.

I think I'll let them go automatically this week and assume everything will work out.

Yeah you'll be fine.

One thing to know, >90% utilization on one credit card = maxed out in the eyes of FICO scoring, which can drop your score anywhere from 30-100 points. Just keep that in mind if you're going to be applying for any new credit (car loan or mortgage or other cards).

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

quote:

I full funded this baby on my own with a few small donations from friends
What kind of scumbag would say something like this?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Easychair Bootson posted:

If you don't think that buying a cell phone you can't afford because you can finance it at 0% is BWM, I feel like you might have some stories to share with the thread.

Paying cash upfront for something if there is no cash discount and the financing cost is 0% or otherwise trivial is BWM, if you don't instantly understand why you are BWM

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Easychair Bootson posted:

This used to be bad. Now it just depends, because sometimes you get a cheaper plan for financing.

That being said, "have to finance a $500 phone" is definitely not a must. There are $200 versions that are not as good, but def capable. So I would buy into "have to finance a $200 phone."

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'd be careful with all of those 0% offers, especially those from retailers for things like furniture. Because if you ever miss a single payment (even if it was entirely by accident), many of them will charge you an exorbitant amount of interest as a penalty.

Nocheez posted:

What kind of scumbag would say something like this?
Probably the same sleazy dummies who sets up IndieGogo campaigns for, "My dream vacation in Mexico/my dream career in real estate". Heck, I've known a few people who solicit "donations" from friends and family for out-of-province political conventions simply because they don't want to pay for their vacations.

I no longer associate with those people, for obvious reasons.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 29, 2015

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Paying cash upfront for something if there is no cash discount and the financing cost is 0% or otherwise trivial is BWM, if you don't instantly understand why you are BWM
I'm talking about how he used 0% to justify an impulse purchase. It's a smaller-scale version of leasing a new BMW because the cheap financing and free maintenance is just too good to pass up.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

In which someone tries to have a reasoned discussion on how to diversify an inherently undiversified investment speculation.

quote:

Does anyone apply "logic" or "rules" to the silver acquisitions they make to ensure their stack is diversified? Ex, I only buy generic bullion/bars because X reason....
I have a 75/25 split of generic bullion and semi-numismatic pieces for Y reason... [I am] just interested discussing different opinions, ideas, and approaches folks use when it comes to stacking.

This one's a little more sublime than some lighter BWM fare because it mostly rests on the horrible assumptions metal hoarders take for granted, but I still enjoyed it.

e. The silver...it watches

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 29, 2015

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

melon cat posted:

I'd be careful with all of those 0% offers, especially those from retailers for things like furniture. Because if you ever miss a single payment (even if it was entirely by accident), many of them will charge you an exorbitant amount of interest as a penalty.

Just never miss a payment ever. on anything. jfc.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Guest2553 posted:

In which someone tries to have a reasoned discussion on how to diversify an inherently undiversified investment speculation.

This one's a little more sublime than some lighter BWM fare because it mostly rests on the horrible assumptions metal hoarders take for granted, but I still enjoyed it.

e. The silver...it watches

:lol:

quote:

In a bad economy, like When The poo poo Hits The Fan kind of economy, no one will care about the low mintage Kookaburra with the rare Game of Thrones privy designed by Liam Neeson, but melt value will be so high in that case that I will also be able to make a great return to buy more bullets and food cubes to feed my family and fend off the roving gangs of radioactive mutants that didn't have the forsight to buy silver and guns.
In a poo poo Hits The Fan economy, nobody's going to care about your bullion either. I can think of a bunch of other things people would try first(especially bartering for actually useful items and/or using currencies from places where poo poo Did Not Hit The Fan) before lugging around chunks of precious metals.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
I paid off my student loans for Christmas, probably I little BWM since I won't have that on my credit report anymore. $9812 at 4.5% $115 mo 25 year payoff or something. Feels good to be free though.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Tigntink posted:

Just never miss a payment ever. on anything. jfc.

Even more than that, treat it like an installment loan and ignore the minimum payment. Total/number of payments = monthly minimum. Many people pay the minimums the whole time and either end up paying a ton of interest or have to make a sudden balloon payment (usually with another credit card, rinse repeat).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Speaking of BWM: I'm buying a 3rd vehicle this year (financing for the second time, too) right before the end of the year.

2006 Silverado Ext. can w/ trailering package for $5500 over 36 months @ 1.49%. :toot:

Phone fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 30, 2015

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

KingFisher posted:

I paid off my student loans for Christmas, probably I little BWM since I won't have that on my credit report anymore. $9812 at 4.5% $115 mo 25 year payoff or something. Feels good to be free though.

Is it too late to add my nomination for worst humblebrags of 2015?

PSL please do the needful

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if car buying is one of those White Privilege things no one ever thinks about. If you're middle class and up, there's a good chance you'll either be given your first car or help purchasing one. A few years later, your next car will be significantly cheaper because you can trade-in your wholly owned first car.

I mention this as neither my wife nor I (born lower-middle class) had any car equity starting out and it's only in our last purchases that we had anything close to decent trade-in values.

Maybe it's not White Privilege as much as a poor tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Renegret posted:

Is it too late to add my nomination for worst humblebrags of 2015?

PSL please do the needful

Yeah this is pretty bad, I think you found the winner.

quote:

I wonder if car buying is one of those White Privilege things no one ever thinks about. If you're middle class and up, there's a good chance you'll either be given your first car or help purchasing one. A few years later, your next car will be significantly cheaper because you can trade-in your wholly owned first car.

I mention this as neither my wife nor I (born lower-middle class) had any car equity starting out and it's only in our last purchases that we had anything close to decent trade-in values.

Maybe it's not White Privilege as much as a poor tax.

Cars are BWM in general, but there's nothing special about this case, this is just capitalism and inherited wealth at work, same as with property. The entire economy at this point is set up to be a poor tax.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 30, 2015

• Locked thread