Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mike the TV posted:

Bernie surprised everyone by speaking at Liberty University. It ended up working out in his favor.

Uh, I doubt it did it anything to be frank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

E: wrong bad thread

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 28, 2015

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

[e]: I'm reminded of something, though... Why on earth is Bernie Sanders trying to triangulate towards getting Trump supporters on board? Wouldn't support of the very epitome of American Capitalism be the last people you want to move to your hyper-anti-Wall Street campaign? I am against Triangularization of any kind, this is just bad, bad, bad.

What's mostly powering Trump is a general dissatisfaction (largely) among White Christian Men with the way the world is going right now. They're looking for someone to blame and can probably be re-directed from "blame Ahmed and Juan" to "blame some fatcat". Hell, doing this would be a major public service, since it would redirect anger away from the defenseless and towards the wealthy. Also, it's true.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

eviltastic posted:

I wasn't paying too much attention to politics around the holidays, so I missed that Robert Costa apparently interviewed Ben Carson without his campaign manager's knowledge. He's got a new article up about it with a bunch of excerpts here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...1a4d_story.html

Sounds like the book tour's getting to be too much work.

Is it just my bad memory or is the first reaction to a GOP campaign finding it s bleeding money is to blame the lower staff?

Maybe Romney was right to dump those staffers with the hotel bill.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jackson Taus posted:

What's mostly powering Trump is a general dissatisfaction (largely) among White Christian Men with the way the world is going right now. They're looking for someone to blame and can probably be re-directed from "blame Ahmed and Juan" to "blame some fatcat". Hell, doing this would be a major public service, since it would redirect anger away from the defenseless and towards the wealthy. Also, it's true.

Trump supporters didn't just start hating the Muslims and Mexicans when Trump showed up. You're being naive as gently caress.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Trump supporters didn't just start hating the Muslims and Mexicans when Trump showed up. You're being naive as gently caress.

My parents used to be strong Trump supporters. Now they're strong Bernie supporters.

It can happen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DaveWoo posted:

My parents used to be strong Trump supporters. Now they're strong Bernie supporters.

It can happen.

Did they actually change their opinions on Muslims though?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jackson Taus posted:

But Trump is one of those fatcats. That's what doesn't make sense. :psyduck:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DaveWoo posted:

It can happen.

Hmm, 2 down, approximately 15 million to go. Good luck with that (and it wouldn't even be enough to get Sanders the nomination, is the funniest part)

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

computer parts posted:

Did they actually change their opinions on Muslims though?

Probably not.

The best you can hope to do is channel that rage into another other. Hopefully with the rage gone, they are merely suspicious instead of genocidal.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

But Trump is one of those fatcats. That's what doesn't make sense. :psyduck:

Yeah, but at least on economic matters, he's telling them exactly what they want to hear: that they can make it, that he got where he did through hard work, that someone else is to blame for whatever they might be afraid of. People might be willing to get angry at some shadowy, nebulous 1%, but the American Dream isn't going to vanish overnight, no matter how anachronistic it is at this point.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, but at least on economic matters, he's telling them exactly what they want to hear: that they can make it, that he got where he did through hard work, that someone else is to blame for whatever they might be afraid of. People might be willing to get angry at some shadowy, nebulous 1%, but the American Dream isn't going to vanish overnight, no matter how anachronistic it is at this point.

But the comparison between Trump and Sanders still doesn't make sense even then. Whereas Trump is arguing that you can still make it through American Willpower we just need to make Germany for Germans America Great Again, Sanders is arguing the American Dream of everyone making it to be middle class has been made impossible due to the top 1% kicking out the ladder from under everyone so people can't make it even if they tried really hard and wanted it really badly.

Whether the economic 'ladder' still exists or not is still a major point of difference in the rhetoric between Sanders and Trump. Trump being the picture of economic populism is almost as ridiculous a notion as it was for Romney in 2012.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Good news! If you're registered to vote, your personal information including name, address, party affiliation, and more (but not SSN or DL number) is all online thanks to a misconfigured database of 191 million voter registrations and nobody knows who owns it!

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

But the comparison between Trump and Sanders still doesn't make sense even then. Whereas Trump is arguing that you can still make it through American Willpower we just need to make Germany for Germans America Great Again, Sanders is arguing the American Dream of everyone making it to be middle class has been made impossible due to the top 1% kicking out the ladder from under everyone so people can't make it even if they tried really hard and wanted it really badly.

Whether the economic 'ladder' still exists or not is still a major point of difference in the rhetoric between Sanders and Trump. Trump being the picture of economic populism is almost as ridiculous a notion as it was for Romney in 2012.

You're looking at the two candidates in a far more critical way then the vast majority of voters though.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Paradoxish posted:

This is especially hilarious when you consider that Trump didn't even make that money via the American Dream, but via inheritance.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
so when people switch from Trump to Bernie, and then neither wins the nomination, which party do they end up voting for in November?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

hangedman1984 posted:

You're looking at the two candidates in a far more critical way then the vast majority of voters though.

Whoops, silly me. :negative:

I'm still reeling from how the GOP thought that the best way to reach voters still in shock from the Great Recession of 2008 was to put up Captain Capitalism and his sidekick the Wonk Wonder on top of the ticket.

...And that it still worked for 47% of the voters. :negative: :negative:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 28, 2015

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

baw posted:

so when people switch from Trump to Bernie, and then neither wins the nomination, which party do they end up voting for in November?
They stay home and yell at their TVs and internet forums.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Raerlynn posted:

This is especially hilarious when you consider that Trump didn't even make that money via the American Dream, but via inheritance.

That is the Republican version of the dream though, hence the never-ending focus on eliminating the estate tax and the capital gains tax. The idea that one day you'll strike it rich through hard work, and you can pass on that wealth (and all the wealth that it generates, too) to your descendants and the government won't take any (somehow, the strong military will fund itself).

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

You're overthinking things. As others have mentioned, it's about a basic gut-level feeling of anger and anxiety - the feeling that ordinary Americans are being screwed. Trump tells these people they're being screwed because of foreigners; Bernie says that they're being screwed because of the greed of the ultra-wealthy.

baw posted:

My parents say they'll just stay home unless either of the above two runs third-party.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Luigi Thirty posted:

Good news! If you're registered to vote, your personal information including name, address, party affiliation, and more (but not SSN or DL number) is all online thanks to a misconfigured database of 191 million voter registrations and nobody knows who owns it!

Voter registration info is public record anyways so...

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Many states have restrictions on the use of voter data, with South Dakota actually banning putting their voter data online altogether.

Plenty more have zero restrictions on voter registration info, of course, so I would argue this is really a policy problem more than a CYBERSECURITY/PRIVACY PANIC problem.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Pervis posted:

That is the Republican version of the dream though, hence the never-ending focus on eliminating the estate tax and the capital gains tax. The idea that one day you'll strike it rich through hard work, and you can pass on that wealth (and all the wealth that it generates, too) to your descendants and the government won't take any (somehow, the strong military will fund itself).

That's basically resurrecting Literally Feudalism and Literal Aristocracy with the serial numbers filed off, though, correct?

Then again, Libertarians et al have no moral objections to (wage) slavery as long as they are the (eventual!) slaveholders. The American belief in Predestination in regards to wealth is terrible and should be dismantled.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 28, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Guess who just tied Pope Francis for second most admired man in America.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
E: ^^^ Don't forget the best part:
Another 2016 presidential candidate — Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton, a former first lady and secretary of State — topped the list of most admired women for the 14th straight year and 20th time overall.

Now let me tell you how unelectable Hilary Clinton is...

Luigi Thirty posted:

Georgia voters already have their info in the public domain because the state is run by mentally damaged people and literal criminals.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Given margin of error is 4%, getting 5% in a poll (which ties you for second place) isn't really that conclusive.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

Georgia voters already have their info in the public domain because the state is run by mentally damaged people and literal criminals.

Even better, Nathan Deal has flat out REFUSED to investigate it, nor hold him accountable for the leak.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CommieGIR posted:

Even better, Nathan Deal has flat out REFUSED to investigate it, nor hold him accountable for the leak.

Sounds like Georgia bargained themselves into a raw Deal.

https://youtu.be/mR3jnW2kcUs

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Luigi Thirty posted:

A pity Bernie didn't just wait two weeks then.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Raskolnikov38 posted:

A pity Bernie didn't just wait two weeks then.

This is obviously what Bernie took from Hillary :tinfoil:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Gender, address and birth date are sufficient to deidentify 87% of Americans. So together with this breach you can probably put a name and address to 60% of your "de-identified" data sets out there.

Oh, and that's before we start talking about how millennials in these records can have their SSNs predicted from their place of birth and date of birth. Given that 40% of Americans have never moved from home, knowing place of residence instead basically opens 40% of millennial voters up to identity theft (if not more, since they've had less time to move).

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Gender, address and birth date are sufficient to deidentify 87% of Americans. So together with this breach you can probably put a name and address to 60% of your "de-identified" data sets out there.

Oh, and that's before we start talking about how snake people in these records can have their SSNs predicted from their place of birth and date of birth. Given that 40% of Americans have never moved from home, knowing place of residence instead basically opens 40% of snake person voters up to identity theft (if not more, since they've had less time to move).

Ok? But that has nothing to do with my post. Most of this info is public record anyways. DIdn't realize some states had it privatized, but I don't see this breach as being that big of a breach since it is mostly public info anyways. Guess it makes it easier to have it in one big searchable database, but that also already exists in many places.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Information wants to be free

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Is everyone prepared for a glorious post-Christmas miracle????

jeb. is challenging Trump to a one on one debate.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/264328-bush-challenges-trump-to-one-on-one-debate

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ok? But that has nothing to do with my post. Most of this info is public record anyways. DIdn't realize some states had it privatized, but I don't see this breach as being that big of a breach since it is mostly public info anyways. Guess it makes it easier to have it in one big searchable database, but that also already exists in many places.

Usually you don't have access to all of this at once because those databases have limited APIs. But a full database lets you join it to your data in ways you can't do if those databases only let you search for voters by address.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Why is Jeb! Jeb so bad at this?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Aerox posted:

Is everyone prepared for a glorious post-Christmas miracle????

jeb. is challenging Trump to a one on one debate.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/264328-bush-challenges-trump-to-one-on-one-debate

God, if you can just us all one favor...

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Trump please accept the challenge.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
One night only, only on Pay-Per-View

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

The only downside to that challenge is that doesn't accepting it then block trump from participating in other debates?

• Locked thread