Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Didn't see any discussion about this but I've watched the movie again and it's still really well made (great pacing, great humor, great action, solid story, great acting) but the one thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is Carrie Fishers acting - anyone else feel that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

oswald ownenstein posted:

Didn't see any discussion about this but I've watched the movie again and it's still really well made (great pacing, great humor, great action, solid story, great acting) but the one thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is Carrie Fishers acting - anyone else feel that way?

She did not give two shits. I mean, if you're going to redo A New Hope, somebody's got to be the Alec Guinness.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Cigarettes, botox, and a long break from serious acting will do that to you.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

I may be wrong, but I believe it's super hard to "act" when your face is basically a layer of skin floating on top of botox.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's like that episode of 30 Rock when Jenna becomes chubby, and Alec Baldwin says "that woman needs to gain or lose 40 pounds immediately. A woman of that size has no place on television"

Carrie Fisher is 59, which makes her old, but not Old Lady old, and it's not something we're used to seeing in movies.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Her acting is fine and seems consistent with the OT, it's probably the jarring change in her voice that makes it seem weird.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Carrie Fisher is 59, which makes her old, but not Old Lady old, and it's not something we're used to seeing in movies.

Whenever I see someone on a cinema screen that could be confused with a normal human being, I throw my Pepsi at the screen, scream and smash the projector. I don't need reminders of what human beings look, act and sound like.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Only time I was bothered by her performance was when she said "It was Snoke".

Carrie Fisher, should not say Snoke.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
"Snoke" is a stupid name for the supreme leader of a group of space fascists.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

CelticPredator posted:

No one should, it's an awful name.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Supreme Leader Snoke.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The original line was "It was coke."

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

CelticPredator posted:

The original line was "It was coke."

Snoke is a hell of leader.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It sure's a good thing the original movies didn't have any cheesy villain names like Dark Father.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Snoke is just two letters away from Snookie.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I just hope they've filmed all of Luke and Leia's scenes because man wouldn't it suck if they bought the farm before the series ends.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

On the contrary--I was worried about Fisher's performance going in, given how much her voice has changed. But as soon as she started speaking, it's like she turned the Leia voice on like a switch. Then she 100% sold the "feeling Han's death" scene without delivering a line.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Calaveron posted:

I just hope they've filmed all of Luke and Leia's scenes because man wouldn't it suck if they bought the farm before the series ends.

They both look like they're in better shape than they've been in years.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Calaveron posted:

They're both millionaires working for Disney and neither is past their mid-60s. They won't be dying any time soon.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Calaveron posted:

She's 59 and he's 64, and they're both relatively healthy. It's not like Christopher Lee in The Hobbit, where it was amazing that he could even stand unaided on camera.

Speaking of which this is so sad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv2ZFlBMHx4 Dude was so close to death and so invested in that shitshow.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Only time I was bothered by her performance was when she said "It was Snoke".

I don't mind that name at all and I think it feels authentically star wars-y but yeah after seeing this flick three times "it was snoke :reject:" is the only thing I really dislike about it :sigh:

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Madurai posted:

Then she 100% sold the "feeling Han's death" scene without delivering a line.

This was her bright spot in the movie by far. I got more emotional watching her response than when Han got skewered in the first place.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Effectronica posted:

It sure's a good thing the original movies didn't have any cheesy villain names like Dark Father.

Yeah, they didn't.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ Vader is German for "father", though.

Steve2911 posted:

She's 59 and he's 64, and they're both relatively healthy. It's not like Christopher Lee in The Hobbit, where it was amazing that he could even stand unaided on camera.

Speaking of which this is so sad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv2ZFlBMHx4 Dude was so close to death and so invested in that shitshow.

Lee's last work was for a children's computer game called Eggbird that he made with Mel Croucher just a couple of months before he passed, and he was just as invested in that. He did an awful lot of things for the money in his fallow period between the end of Hammer and being cast as Saruman, but he never gave less than his all.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Mark Hamill is a legitimately good actor if you've seen him in anything in the last couple of years where he's done character work. He's on The Flash TV series basically playing the Joker and he's pretty good.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Obstacle2 posted:

Yeah, they didn't.

Let us not forget the super dignified names of Jabba the Hutt, Salicious Crumb, and Bib Fortuna.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

aBagorn posted:

This was her bright spot in the movie by far. I got more emotional watching her response than when Han got skewered in the first place.

I read in the behind the scenes filming of this scene just off camera JJ Abrams flushes an eight ball while Carrie looks on, and the response is 100% natural.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Ze Pollack posted:

Let us not forget the super dignified names of Jabba the Hutt, Salicious Crumb, and Bib Fortuna.

Snoke is a dumb name for the evil leader of the bad guys. It would have been fine for some dude sitting in a corner in Maz's place.

Also Jabba's name is perfect.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Obstacle2 posted:

Snoke is a dumb name for the evil leader of the bad guys. It would have been fine for some dude sitting in a corner in Maz's place.

Also Jabba's name is perfect.

The other bad guys in TFA are Phantasm, Kyle, and Huckster. In the OT, we have Dark Father and Emperor Palpable.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Krowley posted:

The Harrison Fordiest moment in the movie

"Move, ball."

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Han/Kylo bridge showdown. How did you interpret it?

1. Kylo is urging Han to kill him (Kylo) with his lightsaber. When Han hesitates, Kylo gets grumpy about the Weakness and kills Han
2. Kylo offered Han the lightsaber as part of a ~~~SIQ FAKEOUT~~~ and always planned to gut him
3. Other?

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

It's quite possible Kylo Ren himself didn't know what he is going to do. He sort of went with the flow.

Edit: That, or he's a lying sack of poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

1. Kylo is urging Han to kill him (Kylo) with his lightsaber. When Han hesitates, Kylo gets grumpy about the Weakness and kills Han
2. Kylo offered Han the lightsaber as part of a ~~~SIQ FAKEOUT~~~ and always planned to gut him
3. Other?

Han is legitimately attempting to get through to Kylo. Kylo is legitimately tempted by Han and even considers handing his lightsaber over. You see Han gripping it tightly and trying to pull it away. Kylo 'overcomes' the temptation and kills his father.

That is the reason for the lighting in that scene. There is still light (and thus still hope) until Kylo makes his decision, at which point the screen turns blood red and the sun goes out.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

3. Other?

Kyle is being tempted by the ray of light to abandon the dark. When the sun dies, the light becomes red and hellish, and he decides to remain with the dark and cut away his connection to the light.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Mark Hamill killed it in Kingsman and I didn't even realise it was him the first time I watched it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kylo was struggling with the thought of killing his dad. He half wanted Han to take the lightsaber from him and half wanted to stab him with it. The stab won out.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Han and Kylo are noticably struggling for the lightsaber in that scene which I though was good.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hollismason posted:

Han and Kylo are noticably struggling for the lightsaber in that scene which I though was good.

Yeah, I really liked that part.

Two other thoughts of no relevance

- I freaking loved TR-8R. Best stormtrooper ever.
- There's pretty much no reason for BB8 to be in the next one, since he's completed his Get the Map mission. I'll miss him! (They'll probably force some reason for him to be prominent in Ep 8 though)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

- There's pretty much no reason for BB8 to be in the next one, since he's completed his Get the Map mission. I'll miss him! (They'll probably force some reason for him to be prominent in Ep 8 though)

BB-8 is Poe's Droid! There's no forcing him in. He'll be there with his buddy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If Ep 8 is Finn and Poe's wild adventures then there will definitely be more BB-8 and more blowtorch thumbs-up.

• Locked thread