Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I'm pretty sure BL's goal was to make a board game that'd be impossible to recreate in video game format, so there were lots of things like "You must point at the person you're talking to" or "hold onto the box at all times" and etc effects. Not to mention the game was realtime. It'd be like trying to PBP Space Alert.

You read PnP as PbP, by the way. Print and play, not play by post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I'm pretty sure BL's goal was to make a board game that'd be impossible to recreate in video game format, so there were lots of things like "You must point at the person you're talking to" or "hold onto the box at all times" and etc effects. Not to mention the game was realtime. It'd be like trying to PBP Space Alert.

Yes indeed. PnP stand for "Print and Play."

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Sockser posted:

Or is this one of those games like Munchkin where the third time I play it and everyone understands the rules it's suddenly the worst loving game ever?
It's a single deck card game with a bunch of screw cards built on nerd culture references. And you expect it not to be Munchkin?

The main issue is there's no way to alleviate the luck from drawing rooms from the deck. You could get a hand full of treasure rooms in your opening hand and not be able to kill anyone and lose to the guy who drew into a perfect murder dungeon and there's nothing you can do to catch up if the deck doesn't cooperate.

It's not quite as bad as Munchkin because IIRC it does have a more consistently reachable win condition, so it at least has the decency to end in a reasonable amount of time. And there's a little more strategy in planning your dungeon when the cards are there. It's just that it's miserable when they're not.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kai Tave posted:

I mean you could just reskin Argent to be literally Harry Potter Faculty Rumble and it would still be the same game, there's nothing really about the stuff you're accomplishing in the game that wouldn't work exactly the same if it were illustrated by, I dunno, Larry Elmore or something. It does not "feel" like an anime, whatever that means in this context that I'm still not sure I understand.

Oh ok. Yeah I guess it's harder to place heavy theme in dry worker placement games. I just want something that's recognizably anime feeling but without being gross or creepy like Tanto Cuore or Barbarossa. But in eurogame form, preferably worker placement or area control. :)

I think tragedy looper manages to do it and it feels anime enough with the sort of convoluted plots and characters involved if that makes any sense.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

ImpactVector posted:

It's a single deck card game with a bunch of screw cards built on nerd culture references. And you expect it not to be Munchkin?

The main issue is there's no way to alleviate the luck from drawing rooms from the deck. You could get a hand full of treasure rooms in your opening hand and not be able to kill anyone and lose to the guy who drew into a perfect murder dungeon and there's nothing you can do to catch up if the deck doesn't cooperate.

It's not quite as bad as Munchkin because IIRC it does have a more consistently reachable win condition, so it at least has the decency to end in a reasonable amount of time. And there's a little more strategy in planning your dungeon when the cards are there. It's just that it's miserable when they're not.

I was expecting it to be like munchkin and surprised when I had a lot of fun playing it.

Though when you lay things out like that I can see how this can quickly become unfun. Maybe we just had good luck because our games ended with everyone at 8+ points. First game went to a three-way draw.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Basically the deck does not just determine if you win or lose, it also can determine whether you get to have any decisions or any enjoyment whatsoever. Boss Monster isn't as bad as Munchkin, no, but it's still a crapshoot.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My FLGS has a copy of Boss Monster in their free play collection. My two friends and I tried one day. We played two rounds and this was our exchange...

Friend A: Well... what do you think?
Me: It was ok, good enough that it was fun to try, not good enough to keep playing.
Friend A: Yeah that's what I was thinking. Let's move on.
Me: Seven Wonders?
Friend A: Agreed!
Friend B: Agreed!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

My impression of Boss Monster was less charitable:

Lottery of Babylon posted:

My experience with Boss Monster was drawing an opening hand of 4 advanced rooms, a basic room that didn't match my advanced rooms, and two useless spells. I spent the entire game in topdeck mode playing whatever room I just drew because there was nothing else I was allowed to do. Then I died. Meanwhile, one of the other players was drawing an extra spell every turn because they had a room in their opening hand whose text read "Congratulations, you are allowed to actually play the game."

Maybe that one game was an anomaly, but I'm certainly not playing a second game to find out.

(For the record, my starting spells were "attract an adventurer to your dungeon" and "blow up your own dungeon", neither of which I ever wanted to do with my anemic dungeon.)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sockser posted:

I was expecting it to be like munchkin and surprised when I had a lot of fun playing it.

To be fair, Munchkin is fun the first few times you play it too.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Rutibex posted:

To be fair, Munchkin is fun the first few times you play it too.

I think you're mixing up "fun" and "funny".

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I enjoyed it enough the first time I played that I went out and bought my own copy.

And then I had a decent time with my then-gaming group playing a second time. Ha ha ha an eleven foot pole get it ha ha?

The third time, on a Wednesday evening, the game ran for three loving hours, with us finishing the game at 2am. This is when I realized munchkin was trash.

Now I have a new group, and I'm the only one that's played munchkin, and everyone talks about how excited they are to play it and they refuse to heed my warnings, so I've just started bringing it with me every week. They'll learn eventually.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Last time I taught people codenames I forgot to mention the "0" rule and my spymaster had "platypus" while the assassin was "duck". Welp that's my story.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I played Illuminati last night. gently caress you, Steve Jackson.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

burger time posted:

I played Illuminati last night. gently caress you, Steve Jackson.
Illuminati is one of the least of Mr. Jackson's crimes.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I'm phoneposting from work right now, so I will type more on the topic later. All I will add to the conversation currently is that Final Attack! will not fizzle out, and in fact the delay has greatly improved the quality of the game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Final Attack 2015 End of Year Status: Not dead.

This is big news!

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Kai Tave posted:

I mean you could just reskin Argent to be literally Harry Potter Faculty Rumble and it would still be the same game, there's nothing really about the stuff you're accomplishing in the game that wouldn't work exactly the same if it were illustrated by, I dunno, Larry Elmore or something. It does not "feel" like an anime, whatever that means in this context that I'm still not sure I understand.

To be fair, if the game were illustrated by Elmore, it'd be actively worse.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

silvergoose posted:

You read PnP as PbP, by the way. Print and play, not play by post.

Whoops. I blame my mobile's tiny screen.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Awesome. I'd use it, but I'd never answer my phone because I'd rather hear the music than pick up.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sockser posted:

Though when you lay things out like that I can see how this can quickly become unfun. Maybe we just had good luck because our games ended with everyone at 8+ points. First game went to a three-way draw.

How on earth do you end in a draw in Boss Monster? The adventurers don't all go through at the same time.

I can seriously see the game's numerous flaws but I'll stand by my earlier statement and say it's an okay game to break out with people who are huge nerds and completely unfamiliar with board games. It sure beats the hell out of Munchkin and Monopoly.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Guy A. Person posted:

Last time I taught people codenames I forgot to mention the "0" rule and my spymaster had "platypus" while the assassin was "duck". Welp that's my story.

Marsupial, cloaca, Australia. All avoid duck fairly well.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Platypuses aren't marsupials, they lay eggs.

Venomous works though.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah Pax Porfirana (sp?) is pretty much about exploitative, slavetrading robber barons kneecapping their opponents manipulating a violent revolution to overthrow and take over the government; but what I could read of the designer's notes before my brain started leaking out my ears he seemed to be on their side?

Compare COIN- I suspect most goons will strenuously disagree with Runkhe's politics (vide Labyrinth) but with a few exceptions the design notes for COIN are not just balanced but very informative as to the reasons they made the design choices they did.

Yeah I haven't played (i)Labyrinth(/i) but just from knowing he's an ex-defense antalyst and his Late War set up for (i)Twilight Struggle(/i) I've assumed discussing politics with him would be a no go. But that's whats great about the COIN games is they are very ideologically neutral gameplay wise

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guy A. Person posted:

My favourite one of these was the time when one team had 'bomb' and the assassin was 'boom'.

Fortunately this was on the other team.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Indolent Bastard posted:

Marsupial, cloaca, Australia. All avoid duck fairly well.

Platypuseseses are monotremes. They have a cloaca, as do ducks.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

My favourite one of these was the time when one team had 'bomb' and the assassin was 'boom'.

Diffusible:1

Also lol at thinking ducks don't have a cloaca.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

cenotaph posted:

Aerosol explosives?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

cenotaph posted:

Also lol at thinking ducks don't have a cloaca.

He ended up doing Ship: 0 (as in, the boom that attaches to a mast) which was clever especially when the guesser had some spare clues from earlier turns to go on.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Aerosol explosives?

CFC-4, I guess. Spectacularly bad for the environment.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

theroachman posted:

Platypuseseses are monotremes. They have a cloaca, as do ducks.

I didn't know this anyway!

Some Numbers posted:

Platypuses aren't marsupials, they lay eggs.

Venomous works though.

holy crap platypi are venemous? :psyduck:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah they have a poisonous spur on their feet. Even the adorable animals are dangerous. :3:

Also kangaroos are known to conceal carry in their pouches.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I got Mysterium and Blood Rage for xmas. Any first-timer tips for these games, like rules that often get missed?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Guy A. Person posted:

I didn't know this anyway!

holy crap platypi are venemous? :psyduck:

EVERYTHING in Australia can kill you, even the little furry duck-billed things.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thespaceinvader posted:

This happened to me the other day but um I don't think you were on my team. :stare: The clue was Loud:2 for Band and either Bomb or Boom and the other one was the assassin. We (well, I) like to have the opposing team's spymaster resolve guesses to avoid inadvertent signaling, but she wasn't paying attention and put the assassin tile on Bomb when they'd actually guessed the immediately adjacent Boom. oops

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Well this was at halloween if not earlier (I don't recall, but definitely not later) so I doubt it was me.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What do people think of Artipia Games generally? We liked Among The Stars so we got some others. Briefcase was broken in the base game. I spent 8 consecutive turns unable to do anything but deliberately run down resources so the game could end. Drumroll was really hard to get points midgame of any volume, and then my wife wanted to kill me when I used a doublevote to start the show and cause her to hemorrhage points from not having enough money. We have Shadows Over The Empire, which looks promising, but the Rahdo for it had Jenn getting backed into a corner due to a hostile card mix.

We have the expansions for Briefcase and Drumroll. However, they are just these little things that make me think they are bug fixes and not expansions. The Briefcase expansion made the fast start rules canon, and gave players something to do with their blocked cards. That probably should have just been there from the start.

We also inevitably are confused by rules in Artipia Games rulebooks and hVe to trawl Boardgamegeek to figure out WTF.

plester1 posted:

I got Mysterium and Blood Rage for xmas. Any first-timer tips for these games, like rules that often get missed?

For Mysterium, ignore the clairovyance track completely. The original did not have it, and it was enough of a challenge before players less good at guessing your intentions got punished by getting even less information.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

plester1 posted:

Re: Mysterium:
  • The rulebook will tell you to arrange the board so that the psychics are guessing Suspect >> Location >> Object, but in my opinion it makes more sense thematically and in terms of difficulty to go Object >> Location >> Suspect. I think that's how it's arranged in the original version of the game, too.
  • The ghost player should always have seven dream/vision cards in-hand. So when you give one away to a psychic, immediately draw back up to seven.
  • Psychic players keep all their vision cards until they guess their Object/Location/Suspect correctly, after which they discard them all and move on to the next phase of guessing (Location/Suspect).
  • Psychics will get all of their clairvoyance tokens back in Round 4/The Fourth Hour, so don't be afraid to lose them.
  • The final Straw Poll vote must be done silently and without discussion.
  • Dream/Vision cards: don't forget they are dreams. Many of the cards could be interpreted to feature concepts rather than just objects, places, people, etc. In particular I can think of one that had two colors sharply contrasted against each other and the ghost intended it to portray "stark opposition" to lead the psychic towards the Soldier character.

Those are the only things I can recall anyone being confused about in the games I've played.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

For Mysterium, ignore the clairovyance track completely. The original did not have it, and it was enough of a challenge before players less good at guessing your intentions got punished by getting even less information.

I wouldn't ignore it. In my experience it generates even more discussion and second-guessing during the meat of the game, and in the final straw poll phase it's far more entertaining for both the ghost and the psychics to watch reactions from the psychic players as each vision is revealed. It also doesn't seem to make it any easier or difficult--in fact, it feels fairly balanced. Those who weren't "as good at guessing" earlier in the game tend to work better with less information (no information overload), whereas the others can handle the extra information better without feeling overwhelmed.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 28, 2015

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

How on earth do you end in a draw in Boss Monster? The adventurers don't all go through at the same time.

I can seriously see the game's numerous flaws but I'll stand by my earlier statement and say it's an okay game to break out with people who are huge nerds and completely unfamiliar with board games. It sure beats the hell out of Munchkin and Monopoly.

Turns go in XP order, so each player processes their adventurers in turn. When someone gets 10 souls, you finish the full round before declaring victory. Ties go to whoever has fewer blood marks. If that's a tie, then it's whoever has the lowest XP.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What do people think of Artipia Games generally?

I'm not super familiar, didn't they publish that Lap Dance game about running a strip club that was three kinds of embarrassing?

fake edit: Yes they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Big McHuge posted:

To be fair, if the game were illustrated by Elmore, it'd be actively worse.

Full disclosure, I'm not the biggest fan of Argent's art, not because it's anime-ish but because I just don't think it's that great for anime-ish art. The upside is it avoids being super skeezy for the most part, I can really only think of like one or two lady characters out of a whole bunch who are spilling out of their tops, but Level 99's art in general just isn't really that much of a selling point to me. Still, agreed re: Elmore.

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh ok. Yeah I guess it's harder to place heavy theme in dry worker placement games. I just want something that's recognizably anime feeling but without being gross or creepy like Tanto Cuore or Barbarossa. But in eurogame form, preferably worker placement or area control. :)

I think tragedy looper manages to do it and it feels anime enough with the sort of convoluted plots and characters involved if that makes any sense.

I mean it has magic spells and stuff if that's what you're after. The "magic academy" theme isn't just a thin overlay on top of something that's about shuffling wooden cubes around, I wouldn't really describe it as a dry Euro. If anything it veers close to what would have been called "Ameritrash" years ago back when people cared about that stuff, except that all the bells and whistles aren't actually covering up for a shallow game. It's not all just fireballs either, the spells add an interesting layer to the game in that they can do things like block off/lock out rooms on the board, flip them from one side to the other (each room tile is double-sided and functions differently on either one, you choose which to use at setup), shuffle workers in and out of a shadow dimension that lets them double-up on spaces, move workers all over the board...and yes, there are plenty of ways to blow people up too. Some games by the final round we wind up with more workers in the infirmary than on the campus proper since everyone is letting everything fly in one final bid to inch ahead of each other. It's just not that any of this strikes me as especially anime in particular, there's nothing about Argent's magic that you couldn't find in some fantasy novel or another. It's not something like Tenra Bansho Zero where you have Shinto priest secret agents and giant mechs piloted by teenagers and spirit-infused devil trigger samurai.