Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay, despite my Christmas miracle of my bike insurance paying off, I'm not going to rush into buying a replacement Monster - the main reason being it's Christmas so I don't have the readies right now to insure another new Monster, but also at the back of my mind is that my company is likely to have no secure bike parking for ~3 months over the new year and I'm not parking a brand new bike in an insecure location (and also out in the weather in the shittest part of winter).

So, pitch me ideas. Criteria in descending importance are:

£500-£1000 price range
No scooters
Nothing off-road/dual-sport shaped (just doesn't do it for me)
Seriously, no loving scooters
good for commuting (narrow, good turning circle)
Good in the wet
"Interesting" - I'll leave that up to the reader to interpret
Reliable or easy for a fuckwit like me to keep running
Likely to hold it's value
Low desirability to scrotes
>125cc (no, I'm not overcompensating for anything)

First thoughts are another old MZ which this time I'll remember to keep topped up with oil, Honda NTV/Bros (there's loads of them in that price range in London but they've all been thrashed into the ground) or maybe just <generic 600cc commuter>.

Thoughts?

Sounds like any small/mid-sized naked will be right up your alley. Not quite sure how that might work with your budget though, you'll be looking at something rather used/old. Older Ninja250?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Gumtree probably? When I was looking, almost all the good deals were in or near London.

Yeah it's Gumtree, but there's also a noticeboard at my local garage - it's mostly ex-courier bikes so they've got a bazillion miles on them but they're really cheap.

Barnsy posted:

Sounds like any small/mid-sized naked will be right up your alley. Not quite sure how that might work with your budget though, you'll be looking at something rather used/old. Older Ninja250?

I've seen a few Bandit 600s and I know they're basically bulletproof but meeeehhhh... kinda fails the "interesting" test.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah it's Gumtree, but there's also a noticeboard at my local garage - it's mostly ex-courier bikes so they've got a bazillion miles on them but they're really cheap.

I've seen a few Bandit 600s and I know they're basically bulletproof but meeeehhhh... kinda fails the "interesting" test.

For your pricerange, and if you want reliable, sorry to say but you won't get much. Bandits are great bikes with a bulletproof engines that are perfect for commuting. There's a reason it was the most sold bike in Europe for years.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Cb1

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Have you considered a Blast? You can get one for like $500 probably and nobody will ever steal it.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Cheap, reliable and interesting.

You will only ever be able to find two.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I'm good at taking two and turning it into one.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Foxtrot_13 posted:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Foxtrot_13 posted:

1st gen Tuono

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

A dealership in my area (Las Vegas) started offering electric motorcycles from Zero recently. I didn't even know electric motorcycles existed (ok scooters sure :v:) until recently, but I find myself enamored of the idea and plan to go test drive one ASAP.

Does anyone have any experience they'd like to relate, especially with the S ZF 9.8? In my case it'd be 90% for the daily commute while the weather is good (read: not the peak of Las Vegas summers), and 10% loving around because I always loved motorcycles and was very sad when I had to sell my Harley 10 years ago.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I'm moving back to the Pennsylvania suburbs in the near future. Tons of highways and long rides to get to the fun roads. I think I'm going to convert my drz to dirt bike mode and get something a bit more practical than a sumo for the roads out here. Mostly looking at the triumph street triple and daytona. I love the look of both bikes. I have a strong interest in track riding but will be mostly doing street riding. Tell me what bike to buy.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

A dealership in my area (Las Vegas) started offering electric motorcycles from Zero recently. I didn't even know electric motorcycles existed (ok scooters sure :v:) until recently, but I find myself enamored of the idea and plan to go test drive one ASAP.

Does anyone have any experience they'd like to relate, especially with the S ZF 9.8? In my case it'd be 90% for the daily commute while the weather is good (read: not the peak of Las Vegas summers), and 10% loving around because I always loved motorcycles and was very sad when I had to sell my Harley 10 years ago.

I test rode a Zero DS (the dual sport) a few months ago, and it was pretty cool. Lots of torque and super quiet. It's weird compared to a normal bike though. No clutch lever, no shifting, and so quiet. Idle feels like the bike is off, I kept thinking I was stalling it when I stopped but that's just how it is with no combustion. No maintenance except brake pads, and making sure the belt drive is in good condition.

It was fun though and I want one for commuting and around town. Range isn't long enough for any long distance though. The dealer said he rides one and loves it. He said some companies might give you a credit for using electric and to check with your HR. Claimed one guy that bought one was paid like $300 a month to use an electric vehicle from his work and it more than covered the bike payment. There's a thing on their website right now about a federal tax break/credit or something, which you probably already saw if you looked at the website.

Police around here are getting some of the DS police edition, it's pretty cool looking but I'm concerned about them sneaking up on me!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How long does an electric bike go for if you have sirens blaring and lights flashing?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Apparently bike cops (around here at least) only do around 80 miles a day, according to the dealer. I expected much more. The Zero DS ZF13.0 + Power tank gets a supposed 179 miles city, so there may be enough power in there for all the gadgets. They also have regenerative braking and I think something else I can't remember. That'd suck to be a cop and pull someone over and your bike dies though lol

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I was channel surfing on my parents TV yesterday and came across some UK show following a motorcycle first responder and the distances he covered were tiny. Most of the time was spent taking reports or doing actual first responder work. They're on bikes not because they have to ride far, but because they're immune to gridlock.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Ciaphas posted:

I rode the fast one and the offroad one, I think. They were super fun and totally weird at the same time. Pit-of-your-stomach fast, and silent as Helen Keller in slippers. It's a weird, weird sensation. They have shifters, and you can change the ride modes on the fly between Eco and Fun. Living in Chicago, it'd be a great second (or third, or fourth) bike.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I went on a combo Kawasaki / Zero group test ride this summer, and riding next to a Zero at 80mph is weird. Things sound like an X-wing.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm moving back to the Pennsylvania suburbs in the near future. Tons of highways and long rides to get to the fun roads. I think I'm going to convert my drz to dirt bike mode and get something a bit more practical than a sumo for the roads out here. Mostly looking at the triumph street triple and daytona. I love the look of both bikes. I have a strong interest in track riding but will be mostly doing street riding. Tell me what bike to buy.

Get a separate track bike. Ask blackmk4 for help choosing a used one.

Then, if you like the striple why not get it? Aside from the goon curse, of course.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Tell me what bike mag to buy! The folded, the spindled, and the mutilated

One year of MCN for a fiver:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Consumer-News/dp/B000UEI4JU?tag=slickappfp-20&ascsubtag=9a44608eaa0011e5a0f9e2322f8ed2120INT

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Performance Bikes. Expensive, but worth it, about 70 bucks a sub from http://classicbikebooks.com

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Also Bike from the same website. Never read Performance Bikes, how does it compare to Bike? Seems more sport oriented?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm waffling a bit on the Zero S ("Streetfighter") vs the Zero DS ("Dual sport"). Near as I can tell the differences amount to more rugged tires and a different front... uh, fender?... placement, and different default suspension settings, for exactly the same price, battery, and motor. Since I'm mostly unfamiliar with motorcycles in general...

- Would the S be more or less completely useless on e.g. dirt roads (think mountain trails, I'd like to ride around Red Rock one of these days)?
- Would the dual sport be much worse in terms of efficiency, handling, or power/speed on good roads?
- What about iffy, but still pavement, roads (cracked pavement, that sort of thing)?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

There's really gently caress all to it other than the front wheel being 19" on the DS. Either or would be fine, you'd get a better selection of rubber with the S but the DS would be slightly easier to use on more rugged trails where you actually have to cope with small obstacles thanks to the larger front wheel. You can buy dual sport tyres in 17f/r so if you prefer the looks of the S then it's easy enough to make capable for dirt roads. Both models use the exact same drivetrain, gearing, and rear wheel size so there's no difference in speed/power. There might be a slight efficiency hit when running dual sport tyres but that'll happen regardless of model. And both models have pretty decent travel anyway (6.3" v 7") so they'll cope with bumps and potholes fine.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cool, thanks for the details. If I get one I might as well get the DS then and get the flexibility right out of the gate.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Hooray, my insurance payout for my stolen R1 is coming, so it's new bike time.

I want to spend 4-7K and would like a naked bike.

I'm thinking either a 990 superduke, 848 streetfighter, cb1000r, street triple r, fz07/09.

I'm leaning towards the superduke just because it's pretty unique and looks the business, but I can get a brand new leftover cb1000r for 7 grand, and the FZ's are stupid cheap with low miles:

848:
http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Thousand-Oaks-Powersports-783080/listing/2012-Ducati-Streetfighter-848-116089515

supa duke:
http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Monster-Powersports-2918596/listing/2007-KTM-990-Super-Duke-116433383

cb1000r
http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Pete%27s-Cycle-2807156/listing/2014-Honda-CB-1000R-115581037

street triple:
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2013-Triumph-Street-Triple-R-ABS-116699035

fz09:
http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Mach1-Motorsports-737388/listing/2014-Yamaha-FZ09-116667291

Anything else I should consider?
Z1000 maybe?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Voltage posted:

I'm thinking either a 990 superduke, 848 streetfighter, cb1000r, street triple r, fz07/09.

I'm leaning towards the superduke just because it's pretty unique and looks the business, but I can get a brand new leftover cb1000r for 7 grand, and the FZ's are stupid cheap with low miles:

848:
http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Thousand-Oaks-Powersports-783080/listing/2012-Ducati-Streetfighter-848-116089515

supa duke:
http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Monster-Powersports-2918596/listing/2007-KTM-990-Super-Duke-116433383

cb1000r
http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Pete%27s-Cycle-2807156/listing/2014-Honda-CB-1000R-115581037

street triple:

fz09:
http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Mach1-Motorsports-737388/listing/2014-Yamaha-FZ09-116667291

Z1000 maybe?

The FZ-09 is massively outclassed in that group. It's not a bad bike but it's just a bit... ordinary compared to the others, which is why so many of them are available cheap. ZThou even more so - but with the obvious caveat that if the looks do it for you you'd never be disappointed with those two, and you'll probably have an easier time living with either of them. Having said that even though they all fit in the nebulous "pointy naked bike" category they're all very, very different bikes - a Striple and a CB1000R are about as different as it's possible for two bikes to be while being do close in shape, and the Super Duke is almost as far away from both in a completely different direction.

You'd probably find the Striple a bit underpowered compared to the rest (and your R1) but in 99% of conditions it'll hold it's own, and if the Du[c|ke] is on the list throw the Tuono in too, because it's a better bike everywhere it matters and doesn't come with any additional problems compared to the other European bikes.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I was a bit weary about looking at an aprilia or mv agusta - is the tuono really going to stand up to daily commuting without exploding and impossible to source parts?

Edit:

this 2010 tuono R is much newer, cheaper, and has lower miles than most of the 990 sdukes I found:

http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Southwest-Superbikes-828450/listing/2010-Aprilia-Tuono-1000-R-116169315

Worth it?

Here's a V4 for under 7G's
http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Thousand-Oaks-Powersports-ITALIA-2927756/listing/2012-Aprilia-Tuono-V4-R-APRC-116294916

Voltage fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 28, 2015

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Voltage posted:

I was a bit weary about looking at an aprilia or mv agusta - is the tuono really going to stand up to daily commuting without exploding and impossible to source parts?

I had a SD990 for about 6 months. All honesty, while my Super Duke experience was passably reliable* I hated commuting on that bike. It's snatchy at low rpms and putting miles on it feels like a giant waste unless you're diming it out.

When you are giving it the beans though? :kheldragar: 10/10 would ride again. Aside from the Tuono, I doubt any of the bikes on your list is as much of a hoot.

*No issues except for this doozy - if you buy one pop open the clutch cover and torque all the clutch spring bolts to spec. They weren't tightened properly on a bunch of SD's and have a tendency to back out and disintegrate. Ask me how I know!

prukinski fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 29, 2015

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Voltage posted:

Edit:

this 2010 tuono R is much newer, cheaper, and has lower miles than most of the 990 sdukes I found:

http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Southwest-Superbikes-828450/listing/2010-Aprilia-Tuono-1000-R-116169315

Worth it?

Here's a V4 for under 7G's
http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Thousand-Oaks-Powersports-ITALIA-2927756/listing/2012-Aprilia-Tuono-V4-R-APRC-116294916

Can't speak for the V4s from personal experience but general consensus among owners is they're fine. 6 years of daily commuting on the Shiver revealed a couple of bugs, none of which required the bike to be off the road for more than two days apart from the MAF sensor, which is a component it shares with almost every bike on the planet, it just failed in an "interesting" way and the (non-dealer) garage took their time to find it.

The only thing you *really* need is access to a garage with access to AXONE (or whatever the gently caress Piaggio call it this week), which is their implementation of OBD2 - the third-party ones work, but are apparently very non-obvious - hence the week-long layoff when the MAF sensor went.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The FZ-09 is massively outclassed in that group. It's not a bad bike but it's just a bit... ordinary compared to the others, which is why so many of them are available cheap.

How I wish these stupid things came with ABS.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Well the new one, the... Roland Sands bumblebee speedblock cafe FZ-09 that is coming out will have ABS and some manner of TC also.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you're not going full stupid, I'd take the street triple there in a heartbeat.

If you are going full stupid, wait and finance an MT10. I posted awhile back in this thread about the generations of bikes you can buy in and it's probably worth reading that post and reconsidering your bike choices at this price point. Basically, either buy something a bit older that'll have all the same basic creature comforts or plunk down a touch more and get something with the full electronics package.

This should work to get you to that post:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973065&perpage=40&pagenumber=38#post453250199

I think. Phone posting is hard.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 29, 2015

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Is the MT-10 coming to the US?

captainOrbital posted:

Well the new one, the... Roland Sands bumblebee speedblock cafe FZ-09 that is coming out will have ABS and some manner of TC also.

Yeah, it's just that the FZ--07 and 09 are just so drat cheap used.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

If you're not going full stupid, I'd take the street triple there in a heartbeat.

If you are going full stupid, wait and finance an MT10. I posted awhile back in this thread about the generations of bikes you can buy in and it's probably worth reading that post and reconsidering your bike choices at this price point. Basically, either buy something a bit older that'll have all the same basic creature comforts or plunk down a touch more and get something with the full electronics package.

This should work to get you to that post:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973065&perpage=40&pagenumber=38#post453250199

I think. Phone posting is hard.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973065&userid=120675&perpage=40&pagenumber=38#post453250199 :)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

In 3 days you won't be able to get a new bike (above 125cc) without ABS here. Some times the EU actually does good work.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Has anyone said buy a SuperDuke 1290 yet?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Voltage posted:

848:

supa duke:

cb1000r

street triple:

fz09:

Z1000 maybe?

Have you considered a Buell XB12.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Excellent write-up z3n - I think the skill level of a brand new superelectronic bike is far and away above my skill level, so I still want to go used, but it seems used tuono v4's and s1000rr's can still be had fairly cheap, and I suppose they would be worth it over a superduke considering the 990 has neither TC nor ABS and will work out to not much cheaper.

I also commute just about every day to and from NYC, about 50 miles round trip, and I guess the 990 might be miserable for this.

High Protein posted:

Have you considered a Buell XB12.

Buells frighten and confuse me, but what about the 1125CR?

Here is one fairly local to me for ~4k: http://www.goldcoast-motorsports.co...eOwnedInventory

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Voltage posted:

Excellent write-up z3n - I think the skill level of a brand new superelectronic bike is far and away above my skill level, so I still want to go used, but it seems used tuono v4's and s1000rr's can still be had fairly cheap, and I suppose they would be worth it over a superduke considering the 990 has neither TC nor ABS and will work out to not much cheaper.

I would say all the electronics would be more agreeable to those not on the upper echelon of skill? Or are you more afraid of the possibility of droppage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KARMA! posted:

I would say all the electronics would be more agreeable to those not on the upper echelon of skill? Or are you more afraid of the possibility of droppage?

Agreed - I've learned more about handling a non-dirt bike when it surpasses the limit on the S1000XR/1290 thanks to the electronic nannies letting me explore what exists past the limit of traction without worry.