Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

somnambulist posted:

I didn't really pick up on it until someone pointed it out to me, but once it was mentioned, I can't stop thinking about it:

After Han's death, Leia PASSES CHEWBACCA, goes up to REY (who she hadn't even met before) and gives her a hug to console her. PAST CHEWBACCA.

It's kind of baffling, and kind of ruins the moment. Thoughts?

Something I'm kind of surprised that no one else has mentioned yet is that

Chewie is carrying Finn's body and he passes Leia en route to the medical squad, so he likely eschewed an immediate grieve-fest to make sure that Finn got stabilized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

I've always felt like the Falcon was a souped up El Camino (or Winnebago, but Spaceballs beat me to it). Certainly has all the performance, but its janky lookin' and a little erratic, which "humanize"s it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jivjov posted:

Jedi Training Ball? Do you mean the training remote? Nothing "Jedi" about it.

It's a Jedi thing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So Nien Numb of all characters is the only one to blow up two super weapons in his career? He was Landos copilot taking down Death Star II and he was part of Blue Squadron taking down Starkiller base.

Also it might have already been mentioned but I guess Fin must be the only monolingual human in the galaxy. Pretty funny to have a character that didn't understand Robotish.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I don't think Leia ever knew what the hell R2 was saying. Or Chewie for that matter.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Panfilo posted:

So Nien Numb of all characters is the only one to blow up two super weapons in his career? He was Landos copilot taking down Death Star II and he was part of Blue Squadron taking down Starkiller base.

Also it might have already been mentioned but I guess Fin must be the only monolingual human in the galaxy. Pretty funny to have a character that didn't understand Robotish.

Wedge was at both Death Star battles.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

It's a Jedi thing.

Prequels confirm this, just like that blast helmet Han had laying around, in case a jedi in training came along

Wookie Bouquet posted:

How is John Boyega's skin so loving smooth?

He's young and fit and takes care of himself

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CelticPredator posted:

It's a Jedi thing.

Yes...Han Solo, noted Jedi skeptic, has a Jedi training tool laying around his freighter. Makes perfect sense.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

cargohills posted:

Wedge was at both Death Star battles.

I'm glad Dennis Lawson had better things to do so that we don't have to do Poe/Wedge arguments now.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

jivjov posted:

Yes...Han Solo, noted Jedi skeptic, has a Jedi training tool laying around his freighter. Makes perfect sense.

Han likely also had a lot of junk laying around that he had collected over the years on the Falcon.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Edit: beaten

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Filthy Casual posted:

Leia is definitely not a fan of wookies. In addition to the walking carpet line, she doesn't give him a medal, uses their race as a target of derision to reject Han and it all kinda makes sense given that she grew up as a Princess and all.

Given that, I'm pretty sure Chewie doesn't want a hug from her, either.

But she went to Kashyyyk and sang about life day that one time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

But she went to Kashyyyk and sang about life day that one time.

Yeah but she was stoned out of her gourd at the time.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

jivjov posted:

Who's to say it was Han's? It would make more sense that Obi Wan brought it onboard to train Luke.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Oh, forgot about Wedge.

One of my favorite lines in the movie:

Fin: We'll uhhh, use the Force!
Han: :byodood: THAT'S NOT HOW THE FORCE WORKS!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They're practice targeting drones for anyone. Luke was practicing on them but you can practice with a pistol set to low as well.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Shoren posted:

Who's to say it was Han's? It would make more sense that Obi Wan brought it onboard to train Luke.

It really didn't look like Obi-Wan was lugging a big training remote around the whole time. It doesn't matter, but jivjov is right. If you actually want to sperg out about it, it's pretty much gotta be Han's. It's a training remote, it probably has all sorts of uses. No reason Han wouldn't have one of his own lying around.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Shoren posted:

I guess "it was Han's" is an old EU thing. Possibly from the novelization.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

jivjov posted:

I guess "it was Han's" is an old EU thing. Possibly from the novelization.

It's a more reasonable assumption that it was something Obi Wan just found on the Falcon and improvised into a training exercise, but there is that scene with like 20 kids using them in AToC so I guess canonically it's like an official thing that Obi Wan brought along with him.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Frackie Robinson posted:

It's a more reasonable assumption that it was something Obi Wan just found on the Falcon and improvised into a training exercise, but there is that scene with like 20 kids using them in AToC so I guess canonically it's like an official thing that Obi Wan brought along with him.

Just because they were used in the temple doesn't mean Han couldn't have had something similar for blaster target practice.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

jivjov posted:

Just because they were used in the temple doesn't mean Han couldn't have had something similar for blaster target practice.

That works, Han Solo bought it in a garage sale on Coruscant. I'm declaring this cannon.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Frackie Robinson posted:

That works, Han Solo bought it in a garage sale on Coruscant. I'm declaring this cannon.

He probably didn't know that it was a pedagogical lightsaber training tool used in jedi kindergarten, likely due to the massive galaxy-spanning hypnosis machine that wiped out all memory of the prolific jedi knights who just 20-30 years prior to the events in the original movies served as peace keepers and diplomats throughout republic space

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Frackie Robinson posted:

Or it's just a common combat training tool and you can pick one up pretty much anywhere.

I mean, it's basically just a ball that floats around and shoots lasers. I don't think the Jedi patented this poo poo.

e:

Krowley posted:

He probably didn't know that it was a pedagogical lightsaber training tool used in jedi kindergarten, likely due to the massive galaxy-spanning hypnosis machine that wiped out all memory of the prolific jedi knights who just 20-30 years prior to the events in the original movies served as peace keepers and diplomats throughout republic space

The only person in the OT who seems to lack any real knowledge about the Jedi is Luke Skywalker, a sheltered farmboy living out in the boonies on a backwater desert world. Everyone else we meet seems to be familiar with the Jedi on some level, they just don't necessarily believe in the power of the Force.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 29, 2015

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I liked the idea of the Resistance having their own super weapon, with maybe both being in a state of mutually assured destruction. Maybe with Snoke (still such a stupid name) keeping her only son captive by his own choice on the other super weapon as hostage to keep it from being blown up?

I don't know. Eh, there was a lot of stupid poo poo with the ~STARKILLER~. It shouldn't have been in the movie.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Frackie Robinson posted:

It's not a cannon. It's small energy weapons.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

jeeves posted:

I liked the idea of the Resistance having their own super weapon, with maybe both being in a state of mutually assured destruction. Maybe with Snoke (still such a stupid name) keeping her only son captive by his own choice on the other super weapon as hostage to keep it from being blown up?

I don't know. Eh, there was a lot of stupid poo poo with the ~STARKILLER~. It shouldn't have been in the movie.

The movie that basically recapitulates the original trilogy should not have had a Death Star? What an odd thing to say.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Krowley posted:

Keep in mind that the Jedi order only had a couple thousand members. The average citizen (i.e. Han) probably knew the Jedi existed, but not that their mythological powers were actually legit.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

Keep in mind that the Jedi order only had a couple thousand members. The average citizen (i.e. Han) probably knew the Jedi existed, but not that their mythological powers were actually legit.

Nah. Jedi powers aren't anything special, if we go by the Alan Dean Foster novelization (and all the OT novelizations were based on script drafts and backstory materials). All kinds of people can use them instinctively, as charlatans or sorcerers of various kinds. What is unique about the Jedi is their religious beliefs about a "universal energy field controlling [people's] destiny", which is what Solo takes exception to, and which would have easily been up for debate just like real-world religious beliefs.

Effectronica fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 29, 2015

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

jivjov posted:

A couple thousand dudes swinging their glowsticks any time they hear a loud noise is fairly significant in a tiny-rear end universe such as star wars

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Krowley posted:

A couple thousand dudes swinging their glowsticks any time they hear a loud noise is fairly significant in a tiny-rear end universe such as star wars

A lightsaber is not a force power though. Han isn't impressed by the saber; it's the idea of mental powers.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Krowley posted:

Especially when you can look into the sky and see the glow of light sabers from other star systems anywhere from within the galaxy!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

jeeves posted:

Especially when you can look into the sky and see the glow of light sabers from other star systems anywhere from within the galaxy!

The novelization explains a bit better why the Starkiller shot can be seen from everywhere; it basically punches a hole through hyperspace; that's why it gets to its destination so quickly; and the visible red beam is just "leakage"

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Effectronica posted:

Nah. Jedi powers aren't anything special, if we go by the Alan Dean Foster novelization (and all the OT novelizations were based on script drafts and backstory materials). All kinds of people can use them instinctively, as charlatans or sorcerers of various kinds. What is unique about the Jedi is their religious beliefs about a "universal energy field controlling [people's] destiny", which is what Solo takes exception to, and which would have easily been up for debate just like real-world religious beliefs.

Yeah, it's implied that Han is well-traveled enough to have occasionally encountered such people and been mildly impressed. He just doesn't believe in all the cosmic, metaphysical, good-vs-evil stuff; and he also probably doesn't believe it can turn you into some sort of unbelievable, superhuman warrior. TFA does a pretty good job of focusing on this really being the aspect of the Force that Han's come around on.

But from what I've heard, some recent EU has gone with the bizarre notion that OT-era Han refuses to acknowledge the Force's existence on even a basic level, despite seeing it being blatantly used right before his eyes. EU's gonna EU, I guess.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Han's "simple tricks and nonsense" line implies to me that he feels about Jedi the way people in the real world feel about palm readers and fortune tellers. There's a craft to it. People make their living doing it. Some have talents like trick shuffling or stealing information. But there's no telekinesis, no telepathy to it.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

jivjov posted:

Han's "simple tricks and nonsense" line implies to me that he feels about Jedi the way people in the real world feel about palm readers and fortune tellers. There's a craft to it. People make their living doing it. Some have talents like trick shuffling or stealing information. But there's no telekinesis, no telepathy to it.

Maybe the novelization's colored my thinking. But the novelization definitely gives the impression that Han isn't completely opposed to the existence of some sort of exotic energy field you can tap into in a minor way:

1976 Star Wars novelization posted:

"Ive been from one end of this galaxy to the other," the pilot boasted, "and I've seen a lot of strange things. Too many to believe there couldn't be something like this 'force.' Too many to think that there could be some such controlling one's actions. I determine my destiny--not some half-mystical energy field." He gestured toward Kenobi. "I wouldn't follow him so blindly, if I were you. He's a clever old man, full of simple tricks and mischief. He might be using you for his own ends."

I suppose Alan Dean Foster could have just embellished and slightly misconstrued the exact intent of the dialogue he was given by Lucas. But it's always made enough sense to me this way. Either way, Han's a skeptic. Even if he thinks some sort of "force" might exist, he doesn't think much of it. Maybe he thinks the Jedi are the equivalent of a bunch of kooks traveling around doing some (admittedly neat) tricks with electricity and magnets and claiming that it's actually the power of God.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 29, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bongo Bill posted:

Leia is the kind of person who gives succor to grieving young heroes, I guess. Consider A New Hope - she just got out of torture jail where she watched her entire planet get blown up, and now they're coming to destroy everything she worked for, and the bad guys tried really hard to make it seem like her fault. But she still takes the time to drape a coat over Luke and comfort him for the death of a dude he met two days ago. An interesting character trait. Can't stand to see anyone mourning a mentor, maybe.

On top of that, going only by the movies, she remembers only images of her real mother just being sad all the time and doesn't like to talk about it a whole lot, so this is pretty consistent.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It's also very likely that the multispecies Jedi Order was already seen as disreputable by the human-centric culture of the galactic core by the time of the prequels, leading people to dismiss and downplay it even as the galaxy marched towards fascism. (In turn, Imperial propaganda seems to have failed out in the rim, where the Jedi are remembered as idealists and the Empire is reflexively hated.) It's worth noting that although women and nonwhites are, if not equals, at least accepted in the First Order, it's still a humans-only game. The rebels of ANH and ESB, Alderaanian, are also white and majority-male. It's only in ROTJ that we see significant numbers of aliens, nonwhites, and women in power among them.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Oh, forgot about Wedge.

One of my favorite lines in the movie:

Fin: We'll uhhh, use the Force!
Han: :byodood: THAT'S NOT HOW THE FORCE WORKS!

Likewise. That moment is a great example of why the movie just works for me, despite some flaws. I had a big stupid grin on my face for half of the film cause of moments like this.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Neo Rasa posted:

Chewbacca is to Leia what a droid is to any of the non-force users in the franchise.

"Droids are the wookie of the galaxy" - John Lennon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

No wookie ever called me a nerf herder.

• Locked thread