Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Adar posted:

Open Carry time machine guns are the reason we should have nice things

'merican Doctor What wouldn't pussy foot around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

BlueBlazer posted:

'merican Doctor What wouldn't pussy foot around it.

Somehow, that law only gets enforced when you can simultaneously carry in all space time at once. In every single instance a threedie tries to play around with something that looks like a projectile weapon, doesn't even matter that it can't erase the timeline, it could've been a temporal paradox and oops they've never been born

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I can't with the people using Tamir's height as a justification for why the police shot at him. None of these idiots had a gangly cousin growing up? My brother was 5'8, 5'9 when he was a freshman, but he did NOT look like an adult at all, even from the back.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

joeburz posted:

While part 3 would definitely help, it's total impact is likely rather limited since we see in areas where there are larger minority police populations the overall culture of police departments still exists to perpetuate systemic bias. Doubly so if you buy the argument that newer members of the police force are limited in their ability to change the culture due to retaliation, etc.

Part 1 and 2 are likely to be impossibly difficult by simple claims of "budget concerns", external for 1 and internal for 2, although the impetus to improve in either regard doesn't exist much at all from within which is is a massive barrier. I'm interested to know your opinion or thoughts on how external forces would produce changes in those areas, knowing your opinions on protesting by the BLM.

What about Federally mandated Investigation Officers? I know people would be screaming "STATES' RIGHTS!!!!" :byodood: from the hilltops, but gently caress that. We need federal involvement in this like integration in the 1960s/1970s needed the National Guard and federal involvement.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Hawkins posted:

I don't condone violence against the elderly; he looks like he's pushing 90, easy.

What's the most painful way to die of natural causes?
And don't say "alone" because that's a given.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I can't with the people using Tamir's height as a justification for why the police shot at him. None of these idiots had a gangly cousin growing up? My brother was 5'8, 5'9 when he was a freshman, but he did NOT look like an adult at all, even from the back.

It's not socially acceptable to say it's because he's black. :ssh:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Thank you for posting that. "Paul Ryan is a Muslim now" is a story that I really can never get enough of. It makes me laugh every single time. :)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
If he denies it, it is just taqiyya

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Please. It's "Paul D. Ryan is a Muslim now."

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Joementum posted:

Thank you for posting that. "Paul Ryan is a Muslim now" is a story that I really can never get enough of. It makes me laugh every single time. :)

Sorry if it's been beaten to death, I just lol every time I see it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Please let his defense be that it's a playoff beard. :allears:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
did you know that Muslims have to lie to nonbelievers? it's true I read it on freerepublic

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

GalacticAcid posted:

Sorry if it's been beaten to death, I just lol every time I see it.

I was not being sarcastic. I love it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Greatbacon posted:

You see, the demand to have the D included is to reference "Denier-of-Christ", his new middle name.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Well he was also like 300200 pounds. And did you see how black he was?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The thread mentioned Nassim Taleb the other day and he continues to say dumber and dumber poo poo.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GalacticAcid posted:

The thread mentioned Nassim Taleb the other day and he continues to say dumber and dumber poo poo.

I agree: a lot of people are, in fact, dumb as gently caress

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GalacticAcid posted:

"Hillary Monsanto-Malmaison"?
:what:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
The news says that black kid had an airsoft gun and held it towards the cops, which is why he was shot.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Greatbacon posted:

The D. stands for "Da'muslim".

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Found this after exploring right-wing Twitter for a bit.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Mike the TV posted:

The news says that black kid had an airsoft gun and held it towards the cops, which is why he was shot.

gently caress "the news", because that's not what video evidence showed.

In other news, guess who the US Marshals caught in Puerto Vallarta!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mike the TV posted:

Don't watch that news program anymore. They lied.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Joe are you still cynical about Bernie Sanders or what're your thoughts.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I don't know where you got that ide-

I hope any riots start at this rear end in a top hat's house. They aren't even pretending to give a gently caress about equal justice. :catstare:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Mike the TV posted:

If only there was some kind of video evidence to show what happened in those fateful moments. Oh well, guess we gotta take the cops at their word. :shrug:

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
If the implication that he was bigger than the average kid is to imply that he looked like an adult and was therefore more menacing to the police, doesn't that simultaneously mean that the now "adult" person was exercising their right to open carry? Either way they're violating a right.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

gently caress "the news", because that's not what video evidence showed.

Alright, now I'm mixing things up here. Part of the story is that there is a second video with a different angle which is touted as evidence that shows Tamir reaching for his waistband. Is that not the case?

Another thing going around is that the prosecutor let the cops read a sworn statement before the grand jury. Is this true/false?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Trevor Hale posted:

States' rights wound up being a terrible idea.

I spent the entire day trying to get a drivers license and register my car in a new state and I can't agree more. It was the most Kafkaesque experience I've ever had, and I still have to visit two different state offices tomorrow (after waiting in line for hours at three different locations today).

No one building can handle all the steps of either of those two services.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Top trending politics story on Facebook's sidebar thingy:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Lessail posted:

gently caress the police

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

So what's the odds on December being the month that Trump deflates?

Trump's never going away.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Tim Thomas posted:

If the implication that he was bigger than the average kid is to imply that he looked like an adult and was therefore more menacing to the police, doesn't that simultaneously mean that the now "adult" person was exercising their right to open carry? Either way they're violating a right.

No, that's not how open carry works.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cheekio posted:

Joe are you still cynical about Bernie Sanders or what're your thoughts.

I'm not sure what you mean. I've always said I'm voting for Bernie in the primary and I think he'll win my state, but will not win the nomination. That last bit has been clear from the start, but I think he's done a good job of forcing Hillary to the left on issues he cares about. Does anyone seriously believe Hillary would have come out against KXL and TPP if Bernie weren't running?

Bernie is nowhere near as left wing as his supporters believe, and never has been - there are some great pieces by Alexander Cockburn harrumphing to that effect in his last book of diaries from the 90s and early aughts - but he's the best you're going to see on the national stage in the US for the foreseeable future, so you might as well enjoy the boomlet his ideas are receiving this year.

I'd like to see him get Hillary to endorse postal banking and his other reforms for that service. It's not like it's a huge ask and is something that might be achievable and would have a positive effect. I do think that the posters here who are skeptical of his proposal to audit the Fed should go back and look at what the partial audit he got into Dodd-Frank found and note that it didn't cause the total collapse of central banking to have it done.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

Found this after exploring right-wing Twitter for a bit.

Hmm yes that makes plenty sense...oh I see because of the beard...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Boon posted:

No, that's not how open carry works.

Nor is shoot first ask questions later an actual law enforcement technique, in fact, attempting to de-escalate the situation is usually the preferred method before shooting a 12 year old with a pellet gun from three feet while sitting in your cruiser with no warning.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Joementum posted:

postal banking

Paul Waldman had a good essay in The American Prospect making the case for it.

It's about two years old but worth a read.

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Top trending politics story on Facebook's sidebar thingy:

I had to check to see if this was real. I swear this primary season has completely destroyed my ability to tell satire from reality .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

Nor is shoot first ask questions later an actual law enforcement technique, in fact, attempting to de-escalate the situation is usually the preferred method before shooting a 12 year old with a pellet gun from three feet while sitting in your cruiser with no warning.

Ok.

So we agree.

• Locked thread